Amazon
Get Up to 3.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

Western Digital Red 3 TB NAS Hard Drive: 64 MB Cache
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

wait 4 under 140,it is possibile before 2013

wolf1111 said:   wait 4 under 140,it is possibile before 2013
Just as long as there are no more unpredictable natural disasters. Come on... If someone needs a drive the this is a good buy.

Vs those predictable natural disasters...can't believe we don't see those coming

g0dMAn said:   wolf1111 said:   wait 4 under 140,it is possibile before 2013
Just as long as there are no more unpredictable natural disasters. Come on... If someone needs a drive the this is a good buy.

Has anyone read any articles that say this drive us worth the $50 premium over a $89 3TB With a 2 year warranty? From the way I understand it is the red was a response to the green not working well in a NAS environement. Put a regular HDD in a NAS for $89 with a 2 year plus a $9 square trade warranty or this?

warranties dont help with lost data. the red is especially tuned to mass storage environments. many of the $89 drives will not behave properly (not to mention will cost more in electrical use over five years 24/7 which is about the typcial expectation in a nas for any drive.) it isnt simply drive parking, which can be modified but the modification is beyond 95% or more of most nas adn home server of users. There are other factors as well.

Newegg has the Synology 2 bay NAS box that takes these red HD's. $30 off the box & 2TB HD, making it $290 for the combo. linky

I thought I read that even these Red drives are not very NAS friendly because they have varying RPMs like the Green drives. Because of this if they are in a RAID setup it can mess up the RAID, someone much more knowledgeable than me please chime in here if I am wrong.

ganjagadget said:   Has anyone read any articles that say this drive us worth the $50 premium over a $89 3TB With a 2 year warranty? From the way I understand it is the red was a response to the green not working well in a NAS environement. Put a regular HDD in a NAS for $89 with a 2 year plus a $9 square trade warranty or this?

Can you currently get an 89 dollar 3TB drive though? I haven't seen one available for awhile

Raistlin1 said:   I thought I read that even these Red drives are not very NAS friendly because they have varying RPMs like the Green drives. Because of this if they are in a RAID setup it can mess up the RAID, someone much more knowledgeable than me please chime in here if I am wrong.

No Green or Red drive has varying spindle speed. I know W-D's marketing made it seem like the green would vary spindle speed on the fly, but it isn't true. They have two speeds, on and off.

Also, the stuff about TLER and greens messing up RAIDs is also wrong for many RAIDs.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-features/31202-should-you...

'The responses I received from Synology, QNAP, NETGEAR and Buffalo all indicated that their NAS RAID controllers don't depend on or even listen to TLER, CCTL, ERC or any other similar error recovery signal from their drives. Instead, their software RAID controllers have their own criteria for drive timeouts, retries and when a drive is finally marked bad.'

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014