• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Home networking and wireless audio / Onkyo’s acclaimed WRAT amplifier with three-stage inverted Darlington circuitry delivers cinema-like power / Six HDMI® inputs / Powerful and immersive 5.1 surround / High-Definition audio decoding and 3D video support / InstaPrevue™ technology, a new picture-in-picture HDMI input source preview system

LINKY

Newegg
See Newegg discounts that earn 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

ONKYO TX-NR414 (10.38kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Wow got my re-furbed unit today, just 2 days after order. They ship from Buena Park, CA so if you are west coast you sh... (more)

pope411 (Dec. 01, 2012 @ 7:08p) |

My refurbed 515 arrived yesterday and it had the latest firmware.

hashrock (Dec. 05, 2012 @ 1:33p) |

M6 616 came super fast as well, and I'm out east. Feels like a much better receiver than the super light Harmon Kardon 1... (more)

MeIsCheap (Dec. 05, 2012 @ 10:57p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Same price on Amazon for free shipping and potentially no tax. Also 6 month no interest financing with an Amazon store credit card.

Edit: great minds and all that...

TX-NR414 keyword search on AVSForum
Problem thread on AVSForums

Looking at units for my bro for Christmas, will look into this.

Been very close to buying this or the 515, not in a big hurry since they seem to come to this price quite often. The HDMI passthrough crapping out is a big worry on these, although some say a firmware update will solve it.

pope411 said:   The HDMI passthrough crapping out is a big worry on these, although some say a firmware update will solve it.

I just started reading up on this, the HDMI issue is concerning. Read that problem thread I linked at AVSForum...

The updated firmware that ONKYO put out is supposed to fix the the HDMI issue. ONKYO's website is giving 30% off all receivers with a CODE CYBM until 30NOV. The outlet has some refurbished deals too. You can get a refurb NR414 for $178 free shipping with a 1 year warranty. Thats if you feel comfortable about going that route.

I got the refurbished TX-NR616 for $249 at the beggining of the week which has alot more options than this one. And I imagine the refurbs are those units that people couldnt figure out how to do the firmware update correctly and sent them back. Comes with a 1 yr warranty.

https://www.shoponkyo.com/index.cfm

You have to sign up for an account and they give you 10 credits worth $10 off which you can stack with the coupon code for more off.

Below link is the Firmware update page with video describing the fixes:
http://www.onkyousa.com/download/software.cfm

Despite the pass thru issue, this receiver is pretty awesome for $200!

from the AVS thread, it sounds like if the last firmware is applied correctly, that most of the issues are resolved. don't like to hear it took so long, but at least it is being worked on.

huntermichael said:   ONKYO's website is giving 30% off all receivers with a CODE CYBM until 30NOV.

Thanks, this is a great deal, looks like a refurbed 515 for $229 shipped.

Pulled the trigger on the reburbished TX-NR515 for $229 after tax with free shipping. Thanks huntermichael, you should post that code in a new thread.

Grab the Remote Interactive Dock for $21 too ($30-30%).
Remote Interacte Dock

I've had Onkyo before (and still do at my parent's place) - the units are OK, but the new ones often ship with bugs that cause sync issues. And the more expensive, higher power rated units often run hot and burn out. Just FYI.

Which speakers are good with this. Bose????

hunter2010 said:   Which speakers are good with this. Bose????

Look at OSD in wall speakers for a clean look (10 year warranty too) and for a subwoofer, you cant beat the Parts Express 12" powered woofer for $98 bucks. Gets great reviews. They also have an 8 and a 10" subs too. These are for the budget minded off course.

I put together a whole 7.1 system for $550 with the Onkyo 616 from ONKYO's site , OSD in wall speaker (2 pair of OSD ICE-620 & 3 of the IW 525 for around the TV) from Amazon.com which was cheaper than going thru OSD directly and then the Parts Express 12" subwoofer.

The speakers are 100 watts and I don't plan to crank them up just want decent movie and music listening and with the Onkyo 616 powered zone out I plan on putting speakers out on my back deck so I can listen to the tuner while someone else can be watching the tv inside.

Im kind of a research addict and thrift saver when purchasing things and try to get the best price possible.

Glad all of you were able to get the deal I posted!!

Just received my 616 and it looks absolutely brand new with no visual marks of being refurbished!!

In for a 616 refurb as well from the Onkyo site. Thanks for the thread OP

MeIsCheap said:   In for a 616 refurb as well from the Onkyo site. Thanks for the thread OP

I got my 616 all set up this morning, took a few hours. Had to do the USB firmware update but it went smoothly if you followed the instructions. This unit has so many options that you have to actually read the manual The HDMI pass through was the toughest part for me to set up. If your TV doesn't support Audio Return Channel (ARC) - my SAMSUNG 46" LCD didn't, after some reading all I had to do was connect an optical cable from the TV to the receiver and it allowed for operation so the TV & TV speakers would operate with the receiver off (passing thru the receiver). Energy saving mode.

The bad reviews with these receivers may be due to technologically being too advanced for some people to set up correctly and they get frustrated. I'm 46 and I got frustrated but after a bit of reading and playing around I got it working.

Now I need an all in one remote, I have my HTPC (Home Theater PC) hooked via HDMI to this and use a optical Microsoft Media Center remote, then the Samsung TV remote and now the Onkyo remote. Need to find one that can operate all of them!

huntermichael said: The HDMI pass through was the toughest part for me to set up. If your TV doesn't support Audio Return Channel (ARC) - my SAMSUNG 46" LCD didn't, after some reading all I had to do was connect an optical cable from the TV to the receiver and it allowed for operation so the TV & TV speakers would operate with the receiver off (passing thru the receiver). Energy saving mode.

The optical cable in this case would be connected to the TV's 'audio out', and to the receiver 'in' from what I understand. Maybe it's not supposed to, but that doesn't make any sense to me. I actually downloaded the manual before purchasing, but didn't see that. Will have to remember, as my tv doesn't support ARC either. and it still doesn't make sense, because the ARC is for audio going back to the receiver, so you don't have to use the tv speakers. Well I like puzzles, so I can't wait.

I am bummed that whatever component resolution is sent into this, is what get's sent out over HDMI (pg 91 manual). Must be because of those stupid rules for limiting component output, which isn't what I was looking for, but rather going to HDMI out. Specifically, I wanted to connect a Wii to component @ 480p & have it upscale. On that thought, why have a single component in & out, doesn't that defeat the purpose of a switch?

huntermichael said:   Had to do the USB firmware update but it went smoothly if you followed the instructions.

Was sorta hoping these refurbed units would have the latest firmware on them from the factory. Guess I can't be as lazy as I was hoping.

Wow got my re-furbed unit today, just 2 days after order. They ship from Buena Park, CA so if you are west coast you should get pretty quick.

pope411 said:   huntermichael said:   Had to do the USB firmware update but it went smoothly if you followed the instructions.

Was sorta hoping these refurbed units would have the latest firmware on them from the factory. Guess I can't be as lazy as I was hoping.

My refurbed 515 arrived yesterday and it had the latest firmware.

pope411 said:   Wow got my re-furbed unit today, just 2 days after order. They ship from Buena Park, CA so if you are west coast you should get pretty quick.

M6 616 came super fast as well, and I'm out east. Feels like a much better receiver than the super light Harmon Kardon 1700 that is going back to BB. Haven't turn it on yet, but I like it so far. Found one short super fine scratch on the top of the unit, but overall looks brand new, minus any peel off plastic that otherwise would be applied.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014