• Go to page :
  • 12 3 4
  • Text Only
Bought two of these, tried them out for about an hour, then immediately returned my Maglite 2D (Cree) purchased from Lowe's for $15.

This thing walks all over the Maglite in spades-- SMOKES it. Not. Even. Close.

What's really nice is that the beam is both throwy AND floody. Floody is good, because it lights up a wide swath of area, which is a more practical benefit than just throwing a tight beam a great distance.

If they would have had 4 of these in stock, I would have gone back to snag the other 2.

Thanks for the birthday gift tip. I love them. None available at my local HD. Drove to Batavia, NY they had 20+. I love my new birthday gift. Always wanted a bright flashlight, and this is tough and strong. My aging eyes thank you.

Poor quality. Checked out two, neither would light with the switch unless the body was twisted and backed off from the head slightly. I think those that thought they were DOA did not know this. They get very hot in just seconds. I tried to transfer batteries from one to another after having the former on for about 10 seconds and burned my hand on the tail cap spring. Even the sales person remarked "I would never buy one of these."

JesseLivermore said:   Bought two of these, tried them out for about an hour, then immediately returned my Maglite 2D (Cree) purchased from Lowe's for $15.

This thing walks all over the Maglite in spades-- SMOKES it. Not. Even. Close.

What's really nice is that the beam is both throwy AND floody. Floody is good, because it lights up a wide swath of area, which is a more practical benefit than just throwing a tight beam a great distance.

If they would have had 4 of these in stock, I would have gone back to snag the other 2.

Dang, I should have gotten one. Looks like they're completely OOS. I ordered a couple of the Maglites from Lowes. I may just return those anyway.

Home Depot is not doing a very good job keeping their site updated with in store quantities. I have ordered one of these for in store pick up twice today and have been called by both stores saying it is OOS.

tvman1961 said:   1

G

Where to get rechargeable C batteriies?

Can someone compare this Defiant and one of those "1000 lumen" XML-T6 from Meritline (the ones use 18650 battery).

LIVEWALLET said:   Where to get rechargeable C batteriies?
My Eneloop rechargeable batteries are AAs but have a C Or D adapter.

Very good point, forgot about that type of adapter. Any recommendation where to get some from beside buying the enelop pack?

LIVEWALLET said:   Very good point, forgot about that type of adapter. Any recommendation where to get some from beside buying the enelop pack?
http://www.all-battery.com/index.aspx. Thy have rechargeable C type here. Good quality products.

DirtCheap said:   There are plenty of them around Cobb County, Georgia

Que the Big Boss Man

Osclib2 said:   Home Depot is not doing a very good job keeping their site updated with in store quantities. I have ordered one of these for in store pick up twice today and have been called by both stores saying it is OOS.

Very likely not OOS, they just didn't know where to find it.

They both said "oh yeah, those were a Black Friday deal and we are all out of them". Where should I look if I stop in a store?

Osclib2 said:   They both said "oh yeah, those were a Black Friday deal and we are all out of them". Where should I look if I stop in a store?

They have an area at the front of the store with tons of special price items they've received just for Christmas - most are on cardboard displays. That should be where they're at.

sesquipedalian said:   Poor quality. Checked out two, neither would light with the switch unless the body was twisted and backed off from the head slightly. I think those that thought they were DOA did not know this. They get very hot in just seconds. I tried to transfer batteries from one to another after having the former on for about 10 seconds and burned my hand on the tail cap spring. Even the sales person remarked "I would never buy one of these."it makes no sense that the tail cap would get hot. did you put one of the batteries in backwards? years ago i was inside a tent and i fumbled around in the dark to put batteries into an led flashlight and put 1 of 3 batteries in backwards. the flashwork worked but it was dim. the flashlight got extremely hot and melted the printed circuit board that housed the led. that was one of the 1st generation led flashlights.

"Can someone compare this Defiant and one of those "1000 lumen" XML-T6 from Meritline (the ones use 18650 battery)."
I have bought one similar............supposed to be XML-T6- 1600 lumens(ha...ha...) powered 2 18650 batteries.This Defiant is much brighter...............with longer throw.

Thanks OP. Picked one up at East Naples Fl. 10 left at 2:30pm.

momoman said:   sesquipedalian said:   Poor quality. Checked out two, neither would light with the switch unless the body was twisted and backed off from the head slightly. I think those that thought they were DOA did not know this. They get very hot in just seconds. I tried to transfer batteries from one to another after having the former on for about 10 seconds and burned my hand on the tail cap spring. Even the sales person remarked "I would never buy one of these."it makes no sense that the tail cap would get hot. did you put one of the batteries in backwards? years ago i was inside a tent and i fumbled around in the dark to put batteries into an led flashlight and put 1 of 3 batteries in backwards. the flashwork worked but it was dim. the flashlight got extremely hot and melted the printed circuit board that housed the led. that was one of the 1st generation led flashlights.

The worker did it because she offered to open the package. We tried two. Both would not turn on if the body was not backed off the head very slightly, and if tightened the switch would not work. Try the sesquipedalian challenge - turn the flashlight on for 30 seconds and then take the end cap off and touch the end part of the spring that contacts the battery.

This is an impressive torch. I went and picked up another one today I was so impressed.

If their inventory checker works, none in the the RTP, NC area.

Merry Christmas, y'all!

I put a rubber hose washer (Nelson N-300 oval shaped) in the battery compartment tube in front of the 1st battery and it helps keep the light on as I move it around. Mine does go off when pointed at about 0-45 and 315-360 degree angles.

i left mine on for 2 hrs with 2000 mah nimh AAs when i first got the flashlight but didn't measure the temperature but don't remember it being warm at all. i just put in the C cells and turned it on for 10 mins. i used my laser thermometer and measured the tail cap spring at 65.8 degrees, the interior battery compart at 74.3 degrees and the exterior casing at about 73 degrees above the switch. my house temp is 68. i guess i have a cool burning torch but some of you may truly have a torch if your tail spring gets hot!

sesquipedalian made a comment about the light not working unless the head was backed off from the body. i discovered that to be true when i accidentally put the plastic washer surrounding the led in upside down. the flat side of the plastic washer goes against the printed circuit board holding the led. if you put it back in upside down the light will flicker or not work well. if you have problems with your light check the washer.

i have 2 unopened torches that i'm giving as gifts. i'll have to ask the recipients if their torches gets hot.

HD's own inventory tracker show 1 in stock in la habra, ca and 1 in stock in panoramic city, ca.

I just bought one. From what everyone has been posting, I was expecting to see a much brighter light. I'm not threadcrapping, but I am wondering if something is wrong with mine. I did install the batteries with the correct polarity.

I picked up one under peer pressure from a friend that was going in for the two he had reserved (this was early in the week before they sold out). My previous standard for bright is a 3 D cell Mag lite with Mag's LED conversion (the new factory version is probably brighter). The Defiant is way brighter so I decided to run a test. I had some new in blister pack Energizers that had a date of 2011 so I decided to use them up in the new flash light to see what it would do. I have a paddle meter that fully captured the beam at a distance of 8". I will not try to put real numbers on the readings but it pegs at over 12,000 with fresh batteries. The Mag Lite focused to the same size beam at 8" measured 1,900. I then ran the Defiant for 30 minutes to an hour at a time letting it rest for at least 30 minutes in between sessions. At 8 hours operation it measured 2,200 and I stopped the test.

So yes the light output drops off a lot over time but if I still have more light than my previous go to flashlight after 8 hours on batteries I have had laying around for 5 or 6 years I am very happy and would not consider using rechargeable unless I really needed peak output and wanted to shuffle batteries to a recharge all the time. I would rather have a very long runtime in an emergency.

Pickngrin said:   I just bought one. From what everyone has been posting, I was expecting to see a much brighter light. I'm not threadcrapping, but I am wondering if something is wrong with mine. I did install the batteries with the correct polarity.

doesn't sounds right. have you tried dif new batteries? maybe the ones came w/yours aren't any good, or the flashlight itself is bad. if there's more where you are, exchange it for another to see

Are the 2000 mah nimh AAs the max/best batteries that could be used with this flashlight?

nimh only put out 1.2x volts in use, it is no good. I wonder what would 6v do to these, anyone dare to try it?

Mawashi said:   Are the 2000 mah nimh AAs the max/best batteries that could be used with this flashlight?

Mawashi said:   Are the 2000 mah nimh AAs the max/best batteries that could be used with this flashlight?

I'm running it on some C nimh Rayovac 2900mah batts (I got at HD when they went on clearance some 6 years or so ago). The runtime is not good but I'm going to try some 10,000 mah nimh C's in it.

I got the C to A adapter but the output suffers quite significantly. Found a bunch a C Size 5000mAh but no 10k, would it be more cost effective to just buy few sets of regular alkaline C batteries when they come up on sale? What's the mAh of the one provided with the flashlight?

nimh is worthless on this, their voltage sucks.
I am planning on try 2*3v lithium FePo rechargeables on it soon, hope it won't burn...

Mawashi said:   I got the C to A adapter but the output suffers quite significantly. Found a bunch a C Size 5000mAh but no 10k, would it be more cost effective to just buy few sets of regular alkaline C batteries when they come up on sale? What's the mAh of the one provided with the flashlight?

Osclib2 said:   Home Depot is not doing a very good job keeping their site updated with in store quantities. I have ordered one of these for in store pick up twice today and have been called by both stores saying it is OOS.

HD has THE worst inventory system I've ever seen and it is across the board. I went to one store for a $36 item and they had NEGATIVE 19 in stock. It would be funny if i didn't waste a trip going there.

I ordered one, it wasn't in stock (even though the item showed 1 in store) and they switched it out for a Maglite pack= 3D + 2AA flashlights (MSRP 30), charging me the 19.88 price. Now that's good customer service.

4Rugal said:   I ordered one, it wasn't in stock (even though the item showed 1 in store) and they switched it out for a Maglite pack= 3D + 2AA flashlights (MSRP 30), charging me the 19.88 price. Now that's good customer service.

I wouldn't be happy with that...

BMRisko said:   4Rugal said:   I ordered one, it wasn't in stock (even though the item showed 1 in store) and they switched it out for a Maglite pack= 3D + 2AA flashlights (MSRP 30), charging me the 19.88 price. Now that's good customer service.

they could've just cancelled the order and not tried to replace it. what's not good with receiving a 33% discount on a maglite?

4Rugal said:   BMRisko said:   4Rugal said:   I ordered one, it wasn't in stock (even though the item showed 1 in store) and they switched it out for a Maglite pack= 3D + 2AA flashlights (MSRP 30), charging me the 19.88 price. Now that's good customer service.

they could've just cancelled the order and not tried to replace it. what's not good with receiving a 33% discount on a maglite?

How about because the maglite sucks?

OP flashlight claims 500 lumens. Your maglite will struggle to put out 130 lumens. Not equivalent. If you're after a bright light you should return the maglite.

My local store had 36 in stock but when I ordered online for store pickup, they called to tell me they had none in stock. Imagine if that were a $300 dollar item and they were missing 36 of them?

3c flashlight
Disclaimer

3c flashlight display
Disclaimer
They have a new version of this flashlight with a much bigger reflector. It was up in front in the seasonal area.
It is rated @ 493 lumen and 445m range.

Item 639226 $22.98

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.