• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I went through all the step and rebooted. How does one know if the phone is unlocked besides trying another SIM card? Is there a notification or message when the phone reboots that the phone is now unlocked?

I did this before it's illegal tomorrow. How AT&T will enforce this, I don't know.

rated:
Delete. double post.

rated:
sureebaju said:   ....
Could you please advise me what should i do after doing the [3] PERSO SHA256 OFF and waited 30 seconds, went back but i can't find [4] NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ....Q]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sureebaju, you need to upgrade your phone to 4.1.1
Folowing these steps:

ENTbb said:   To some of you that don't see the option [4] NW LOCK NV DATA INITIALLIZ, then your phone has the old Android v4.0.4
You need to upgrade to Jelly Bean 4.1.1. After upgrading to 4.1.1, i followed the unlock procedure and was able to unlock my ATT Galaxy III (i used tmobile sim).

To upgrade from 4.0.4 to 4.1.1, follow this instruction:

How do I update my Samsung Galaxy S® III (AT&T) to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean

(very easy, just scroll down to start from section HOW DO I GET THIS UPGRADE to download and install Samsung Kies)

PS. Thank you very much OP - Merry Christmas and Happy Newyear everyone at Fatwallet.

rated:
it's illegal to unlock your phone since Jan 26 2013

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/now-illegal-unlock-cellphone/st...

Or, if you're really upset with the latest rule change, you can sign a "We the People" petition on the White House's website that calls for the Librarian of Congress to "rescind this decision, and failing that, champion a bill that makes unlocking permanently legal."

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/make-unlocking-cell-ph...

rated:
So since its now illegal, what is the fine? Do I dare risk it? Or will it cost me my house? Or is it like the rest of the DMCA where the penalties are vague and they only tell you after they catch you?

rated:
Shagger said:   So since its now illegal, what is the fine? Do I dare risk it? Or will it cost me my house? Or is it like the rest of the DMCA where the penalties are vague and they only tell you after they catch you?

It is not illegal for phones produced before the change, and even with phones that are produced now, you can unlock them legally with permission from the manufacturer. You just have to ask, and then you can use any method you want to unlock. But no one is going to check if you asked. This is way overblown.

rated:
Shagger said:   So since its now illegal, what is the fine? Do I dare risk it? Or will it cost me my house?

From the ABC link above:
The worst-case scenario for an individual or civil offense could be as much as a $2,500 fine. As for those planning to profit off of the act or a criminal offense -- such as a cellphone reseller -- the fine could be as high as $500,000 and include prison time.

From the actual court docket

Thus, the Register determined that with respect to newly purchased phones, proponents had not satisfied their burden of showing adverse effects related to a technological protection measure. However, with respect to “legacy” phones – i.e., used (or perhaps unused) phones previously purchased or otherwise acquired by a consumer – the record pointed to a different conclusion...

The Register concluded after a review of the statutory factors that an exemption to the prohibition on circumvention of mobile phone computer programs to permit users to unlock “legacy” phones is both warranted and unlikely to harm the market for such programs. At the same time, in light of carriers’ current unlocking policies and the ready availability of new unlocked phones in the marketplace, the record did not support an exemption for newly purchased phones. Looking to precedents in copyright law, the Register recommended that the class designated by the Librarian include a 90-day transitional period to allow unlocking by those who may acquire phones shortly after the new exemption goes into effect.

Now, I'm not a lawyer, but my interpretation of the above is that it's illegal to unlock a new phone using circumvention software, but it's still legal to unlock a used (or "previously owned") phone. [Edit: The ruling was made Oct 28, 2012, so the 90 day exemption ended Jan 26, 2013.]

Also, the ruling appears to be on specifically using unlocking software that's created to circumvent carrier locks. Since this Samsung unlocking method doesn't use any specially installed software, but rather the phone's own built-in menu options, it may not be subject to this ruling, and thus not illegal. Again though, I'm not a lawyer, so I can't say for sure.

rated:
Shagger said:   So since its now illegal, what is the fine? Do I dare risk it? Or will it cost me my house? Or is it like the rest of the DMCA where the penalties are vague and they only tell you after they catch you?

From the following article.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2026562/phone-unlocking-ban-spark...

PCworld said: The Congressional Librarian (agreeing with the CTIA, the wireless industry association) felt that phone unlocking should not be legal because the wireless carriers already have very liberal unlocking policies, and that unlocked phones can be bought directly from phone manufacturers. Under the law, the penalties for unlocking a subsidized wireless phone without carrier consent can be severe. If convicted, an offender can be fined up to $500,000 or imprisoned up to five years for the first offense. An offender can be fined up to a million dollars and/or go to prison for up to ten years for each subsequent offense.

rated:
I think something that like needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Take copywrite infringement. It's up to some limit, but in practice the monetary damages are dependent on the magnitude/volume of infringement. If you illegally download an album from someone in Canada, the most you can be charged with in civil court is the cost of that album. Otoh, if you share that album with 200,000 other people, and it's presumed that they share it with a bunch of other people, the damages per offense can be substantial. Similarly, I imagine that the most a carrier would hit you for would be the cost of an unlocked phone. But if you were unlocking phones for people, then they could hit your per established incident, or make some extrapolation given the evidence they have.

rated:
I thought this new law was only for phones purchased after Saturday , Jan 26, 2009. That's when the new law went into effect.

rated:
Jes1 said:   I thought this new law was only for phones purchased after Saturday , Jan 26, 2009. That's when the new law went into effect.

No one seems to be able to confirm this....?

rated:
Jes1 said:   I thought this new law was only for phones purchased after Saturday , Jan 26, 2009. That's when the new law went into effect.
It's not a new law, but a change in exemptions from an existing law. Also, did you mean Jan 26, 2013 ? Because that's when the exemption change went into effect.

From what I can tell, this new ruling affects all new phones not currently unlocked. It doesn't matter if you bought the phone before or after Jan 26, 2013, if you didn't unlock it before that date, you can't legally do it now (at least not without the carrier's permission using circumvention software).

rated:
l

rated:
in the step following "go back" my menu only had four options and did not include [4] NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ but rather option "[4] RAT_FREE_SUPPORTING ON instead". My S3 is an AT&T version and I tried with with both a non-AT&T Sim and At&T Sim with the same result. Did anyone else have the same experience or have any suggestions?

rated:
fatxman said:   Does it work with Galaxy S2?

At the moment works only for S3 and note 2. Do a bit of research and you should find your free unlock code.

rated:
so it's not possible with the verizon version?

rated:
gonzobot said:   in the step following "go back" my menu only had four options and did not include [4] NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ but rather option "[4] RAT_FREE_SUPPORTING ON instead". My S3 is an AT&T version and I tried with with both a non-AT&T Sim and At&T Sim with the same result. Did anyone else have the same experience or have any suggestions?Make sure you are on Jelly Bean version 4.1.1. See this post for detail instructions.

rated:
Im on a SGH-i727 I got all the way to step [6] and I did not see [4] NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ option. Any ideas, using the stock rooted rom.

rated:
Sadly it does not seem as if the petition will reach 100,000 signatures in time! Its barely been adding roughly a 1,000 signatures each day.

rated:
just unlock your phone, its like downloading an MP3, unless your the king kong doing it, no one will notice.

rated:
Verizon is CMDA and always locked to them, just like US Cellular so it doesnt really matter.

rated:
RodgerClemmons said:   Im on a SGH-i727 I got all the way to step [6] and I did not see [4] NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ option. Any ideas, using the stock rooted rom.SGH-i727 is Galaxy S2. Read the title and first post - this unlock is only for S3 and Note 2 GSM models.

rated:
I used the procedure above and it worked - inserted a foreign sim card, called the foreign # from my house phone, and my AT&T S3 (i747) got the call!

rated:
Does it work on Samsung Focus 2 ?

rated:
thanks for this trick working on my att galaxy s3, but i want to update my galaxy s3 ICS in to jelly bean. so what can i do?? is there any problem if i upgrade my galaxy s3???

rated:
to unlock a skyrocket you need to follow these instructions:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2029650

rated:
works fine, did it with no sim card in. Then put in Tmobile card after and it loaded right up.

rated:
i am trying to get it to work with a att samsung galaxy not 1 does anyone know if it works or not?

rated:
i did i had the same result i dont know what im doing wrong did you get your question answered?

rated:
Thank you, even though I dont own a Galaxy yet, we need more people like you

rated:
Samsung Galaxy Camera GC100

What about the Samsung Galaxy Camera GC100 . it has no dial keboard mode. how do i get to servicemode ?
Thanks,

Dvir182@gmail.com

rated:
hindi po gumagana ung instructions pagdating sa network lock- "menu not exist", "press back key", "current command is 186". what should I do? please help me. and please answer my question.

rated:
I think it worked for me, thanks!

rated:
Does this process still work to unlock an AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3? I have completed the steps and I really cannot tell if it worked yet. I am actually waiting on a T-Mobile Sim card to come in the mail through Net10. I have to use a T-Mobile sim with Net10 in order to maintain the unlimited data. As of March 1st my AT&T compatible sim will no longer allow the unlimited data. If this process only works with the foreign sim, that will be fine. If it no longer works because it is illegal, please let me know. I will have to find a new carrier.

rated:
Ha, I feel stupid for forgetting the * in front of the #.

rated:
I'm assuming you're dialing as a phone call, but what if you don't have phone service on the phone you want to unlock?

rated:
I followed the exact steps, waited 30 seconds, but I dont see the last step - "NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ"

rated:
i followed ur lil steps and after rebooting the phone i still cant change the apn settings.......carguyoftheyear2006@yahoo.com

rated:
I wanted to unlock my s3 mobile from at&t. I followed these steps from post1 (below is the post1), but struck at 4th step. When I click the Menu button for going back this goes to the home screen. I don't understand how to go back after going to the option "[3]Perso SHA256 OFF".
Please guide me unlock it

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just dial the following keys *#197328640

Main Menu > [1] UMTS > [1] Debug Screen > [8] Phone Control > [6] Network Lock > Options Just dial the following keys *#197328640#

Main Menu > [1] UMTS > [1] Debug Screen > [8] Phone Control > [6] Network Lock > Options [3]Perso SHA256 OFF > (after choosing this option, wait about 30 seconds, then go back one step by pressing the Menu button then select Back, now you are in [6] Network Lock then choose [4] NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ ..... wait for a minute then reboot your phone... enjoy!!!

> (after choosing this option, wait about 30 seconds, then go back one step by pressing the Menu button then select Back, now you are in [6] Network Lock then choose [4] NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ ..... wait for a minute then reboot your phone... enjoy!!!

rated:
The "NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ" option is missing from my Galaxy Note II. as well, and YES, it is running on Android 4.1.1. from T-Mobile T889 model. So, any idea then what to do? Any other way I can do the "1 minute wait" function? I'd like to switch from T-Mobile to either ATT or Sprint. Thanks for any advice in advance!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014