• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
My friend bought one for a laptop he got on BlackFriday since it didn't have gigabit network interface and got the coupon code in an e-mail. So I've just ordered one for brother's MacBook Air (one of his New Year's presents). Looks like discount applies to one adapter per order (so if you order 2 - only one will get it).

Code: USB3G4ME
Expires: 12/06/2012
www.usb3gigabit.com

Member Summary

USB 3.0 Gigabit NIC (62.24kB)
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Staff Summary

True, but dealing with Newegg returns can be a hassle. I would only use them for buying items i know i will keep for sure (as when I've one that exact item already and know it will work for me).

Integrator said:   True, but dealing with Newegg returns can be a hassle. I would only use them for buying items i know i will keep for sure (as when I've one that exact item already and know it will work for me).

You have to be joking.

Furthermore the return policy from the site you linked states:

Can I return my item?
Yes, within 30 days from the order day, as long as it is in original working condition and doesn’t show signs of use.

It may just be poorly written but according to that policy you couldn't return a defective item. I'll take Newegg's return policy over a no-name company any day, any time.

I wasn't even going to red you Yuri, but when you busted out on NE you lost it all.

Integrator said:   True, but dealing with Newegg returns can be a hassle.

Not at the moment. The recent 9-month free trial of Shoprunner allows free returns on all purchases from Newegg. Just print a USPS or UPS label & send. What is the hassle?

No power consumption for the device is provided on this vendor's website. Assuming the worst case that means an extra 5 W of power from the laptop is being consumed. When you use this adapter make sure your laptop is plugged into AC as well.

BTW There is no way this thing uses 5 watts. Whole 5-8 port switches use 5w. Most are based on the AX88179 which is very low power. It probably draws most of it's power from the network anyways.

Note that using this with a Mac on 10.8 is problematic. The drivers from ASIX (the maker of the chipset) are not digitally signed and so you have to jump through some hoops to install them.

While this likely doesn't use 5W (only 2.5W is available from a port generally), the idea that it draws most of its power from the network (suggested by Schmide) is erroneous. There is virtual no power available on an ethernet port (unless it uses PoE), and in fact ethernet is AC coupled specifically to the purpose of preventing current flow across the interface.

Looks so cool. I wanna buy one for myself. Thanks OP!

Why not just get the thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter for less?

http://www.amazon.com/Thunderbolt-to-Gigabit-Ethernet-Adapter/dp...

cilew said:   Looks so cool. I wanna buy one for myself. Thanks OP!

Of course you do...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014