• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I was just in BestBuy in Oak Park, KS this evening and got a Pioneer Elite VSX-40 receiver on clearance at $199 new in box. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+R...

It is last year's model, originally listed at $450 and currently selling on Amazon Marketplace for $330 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FAREJ0/ref=olp_product_deta... and recently at CostCo for $270 according to FW forums. At $199 a pretty solid option for an entry-level 7.1 3D-capable HDMI receiver with 2 year warranty in my opinion. Obviously, availability and likely pricing will vary with each store (2 were left at Oak Park) so call first to check and the associate at this store had to spend 20-30 minutes just locating it in the computer to verify the price and availability/location in storage. Computer showed the markdown to $199 started today (12/2/12).

Haven't set it up yet but thought others in the market might want an early Christmas present.

A few significant features:
  • 560 watts (80x7)

  • 4 HDMI inputs

  • Auto-calibration mic

  • 2 Year Warranty (up to 4 years with GeekSquad protection for $35 more)

  • A/B speakers

  • Ipod ready

  • USB Connection


Best Buy
See Best Buy promo codes that earn 1.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Pioneer Elite VSX-40
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

great deal - I got it for 249 there (magnolia) on blackfriday - really good deal

Nice find. Thanks for taking time to share this deal.

First rule of Fatwallet: never call, unless you want the sales guy to find it first.

The SKU is 2769018.

Got VSX-42 for $249 @ black friday. Hooked with my Klipsch KF-26 ($175 each on black friday). Happy with it.

DoctorDeals said:   First rule of Fatwallet: never call, unless you want the sales guy to find it first.

The SKU is 2769018.


Not showing up at all on the BB site.

It appears BB has shut down the feature on the web page wherein you can view clearance items at each store. Nice timing guys.

It's no big deal for the majority of people here, but with the growing popularity of vinyl these days it's relevant to point out that this receiver doesn't have a phono input/built in pre-amp for turntables.

Growing popularity of Vinyl?

Really?

LOL

For the love of all things high fidelity, I hope this is just a short-lived phase.

MaxRC said:   Growing popularity of Vinyl?

Really?

LOL

For the love of all things high fidelity, I hope this is just a short-lived phase.


Why? Vinyl's not going anywhere. It still sounds fantastic today and offers music collectors a lot of value (packaging that's more than an after thought, a fantastic sounding record, and usually download codes for mp3s). I won't try to tell you that it's some magical format that sounds better than digital, but a) it offers more customization of the sound for your personal tastes (different cartridges/styli color music differently) and b) it's usually mastered from a source where the levels aren't completely blown out on the high end.

Besides, there's decades worth of vinyl out there that sound much better than the terrible late 80s and 90s cd remasters. There are plenty of classic albums where the cd version is all but unlistenable. If nothing else, vinyl is still a valid format for these recordings.

Agreed - embracing the new does not mean rejecting the old. Vinyl sounds great, but don't tell anyone because the prices are too high already

anyone know if I can plug my external HD into this to play movies?

ProppaT said:   It's no big deal for the majority of people here, but with the growing popularity of vinyl these days it's relevant to point out that this receiver doesn't have a phono input/built in pre-amp for turntables.

I may be wrong but I think the cheapest receiver out there that still has a phono input will be an Onkyo 700 series, the current model of which, the TX-NR717 is going for $529 on Amazon, with a so-called MSRP of $999 and older models will be cheaper check Onkyo's outlet.

Having said that, I think there's a lot of excess hype over retro-trendy stuff these days and I would say that vinyl records fall into that category. I have a pretty expensive turntable with a moving coil cartridge and whatever minimal improvement in sound quality I can discern compared to CD is, to me anyway, outweighed by the omnipresent pops and clicks of static and dust on the disc, notwithstanding how meticulously I tried to clean the album with a Discwasher cleaning system. The crackles bother me a lot more than any loss of overall sound quality and since I've got an external D/A converter for my CD changer, I'm pretty happy with how CD's sound. And there are plenty of crappy-sounding LPs out there, too.

Almost bought this at Costco earlier this year when it was $275 or something like that. I'll have to take a ride to BB tomorrow to see if it's in stock. thanks

lousygolfer said:   ProppaT said:   It's no big deal for the majority of people here, but with the growing popularity of vinyl these days it's relevant to point out that this receiver doesn't have a phono input/built in pre-amp for turntables.

I may be wrong but I think the cheapest receiver out there that still has a phono input will be an Onkyo 700 series, the current model of which, the TX-NR717 is going for $529 on Amazon, with a so-called MSRP of $999 and older models will be cheaper check Onkyo's outlet.

Having said that, I think there's a lot of excess hype over retro-trendy stuff these days and I would say that vinyl records fall into that category. I have a pretty expensive turntable with a moving coil cartridge and whatever minimal improvement in sound quality I can discern compared to CD is, to me anyway, outweighed by the omnipresent pops and clicks of static and dust on the disc, notwithstanding how meticulously I tried to clean the album with a Discwasher cleaning system. The crackles bother me a lot more than any loss of overall sound quality and since I've got an external D/A converter for my CD changer, I'm pretty happy with how CD's sound. And there are plenty of crappy-sounding LPs out there, too.


Naw, you can get a $99 Insignia receiver with photo inputs. There's actually plenty of receivers on the market, even at the lower end, that have phono inputs...you just have to look around. That being said, good luck finding any reasonably priced receiver (surround receiver or integrated amp) that really has a phono input that's worth much of anything. I was just pointing this out because it is a feature that's back in demand.

I wouldn't say that vinyl sounds better than CDs...just different. As I said, the choice of cartridge and stylus color the music, like different speakers/headphones sound different. It's more of another variable for audio enthusiasts to play with more than anything, but it does sound great. I've got plenty of albums where I prefer the CD, plenty where I prefer the vinyl (which mainly comes down to the master). I will give you this, the audiophile mania aspect of vinyl is way overblown. It mainly comes down to gear. Your external D/A is bound to make all the difference with your CD changer. I think a lot of people just haven't heard a CD on a good set up or they wouldn't be going as gaga over vinyl. IMO, it's just a lot more affordable to pick up a quality used 70s/80s turntable for $25, pop on a mid level/entry level audiophile cartridge/stylus, and do a proper setup than it is to get an equal quality CD rig. I regularly fix up old turntables for friends and pair them with quality vintage integrated amps. It's amazing the kind of setups you can build people on an absolute budget combing flea markets and estate sales.

lousygolfer said:   DoctorDeals said:   First rule of Fatwallet: never call, unless you want the sales guy to find it first.

The SKU is 2769018.


Not showing up at all on the BB site.


Clearance stuff almost never shows up on the website. You have to go to the store and have someone look it up. They will first try on the website, it will fail, then they look it up on some super secret website that shows them inventory for all the nearby places as well. I have found many things that were not on the website anymore using this tactic.

Of course, when BB had the local store clearance section available on the website, that made this process WAY easier, but it's unavailable now. Even under that situation though, searching for the SKU returned no results. You had to enter through the clearance page.

ProppaT said:   
Why? Vinyl's not going anywhere. It still sounds fantastic today and offers music collectors a lot of value (packaging that's more than an after thought, a fantastic sounding record, and usually download codes for mp3s).


Why? Vinyl is a relatively poor medium for recording high fidelity music in comparison to modern digital formats. So why should someone plan to pay for vinyl when superior alternatives are available for less?

I won't try to tell you that it's some magical format that sounds better than digital, but a) it offers more customization of the sound for your personal tastes (different cartridges/styli color music differently) and b) it's usually mastered from a source where the levels aren't completely blown out on the high end.I challenge the assertion that vinyl offers more customization. If colored sound is what you are after, rather than musical fidelity, you can do plenty to color the sound regardless of the original medium. So called "synergy" is an excuse for vintage sound systems that are so compromised in their performance that only with just a few recordings do their "uniqueness" lineup just right to produce a pleasing effect.

Besides, there's decades worth of vinyl out there that sound much better than the terrible late 80s and 90s cd remasters. There are plenty of classic albums where the cd version is all but unlistenable. If nothing else, vinyl is still a valid format for these recordings.You can find poorly recorded music of any vintage. I'll agree that if you just have to have some recording that happen to exist in vinyl as the best quality, then you do what you must to enjoy that piece of music. Most people shopping for a $200 receiver on fat wallet does not fall into that category. What does a good turntable setup cost these days? Serious question.

This sold in 2011 at BB for $249, not sure if it was a BF deal or clearance. I have a Onkyo 5.1 90W per channel. I'd like more power and for it to be clean, don't know if i should upgrade or not. My Onkyo is about 5 years old now. It drives a Pair of Powered Polk Towers with Dual 8 inch subs/1 mid/1 tweeter, a monster 26" long Polk center, two definitive Bipolar rears. Think I'd notice a difference in the technology now?

If you're looking for more clean power, look to see if your receiver can be used as just a processor (ie 5.1 or 7.1 outputs) and get a multi- (ie 5) channel amplifier; you should only get a new receiver if it has features that you are missing (ie HDMI switching, multichannel lossless decoding, 3D pass through, internet capabilities, etc)

I am yet to see a feature I need or even want. So what your saying is see if it can be used just for video/audio processing? That makes sense. Don't know how much of a difference I'd notice with the new processing standards. I typically play DTS files, but have heard some standard 5.1 files that sound just as good. I guess I should just be happy with what I have, it sounds pretty good. I was in a BB store listening to some Martin Logan towers that were $1k each, my towers sounds way better. My next investment is a sub, be nice if it was wireless, they make those? I know i can just google it haha.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014