• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
have one and it is an awsome lens. the 1.8 is an decent budget starter lens, but it does feels like a light plastic toy. the 1.4 is faster, quieter, doesnt feel like a cheap toy and takes great pictures. great find op

LexTalionis said:   hammer45 said:   Interesting how the reviews seem to indicate a minimal performance gain over the 1.8, if at all. however, I guess if I sell my 1.8 and offset the cost of this I'm willing to gain a better build and another f-stop for $200.

You will get twice AF speed with the USM which is HUGE! Also, there are more diaphragm blades = smoother OOF highlights. Lastly, the build quality between the two is VERY noticeable...I also hated the skinny knurled focus ring of the 50/1.8.

The bokeh is definitely nicer on the 1.4, here's a comparo:

Canon EF 50mm F1.4 vs F1.8 MK II

Yes, a 35mm fixed is a good choice. It equals out to about a 50mm lens. For many years, before zoom lenses were good and cheap, most SLRs came with a 50mm lens. It the most handy fixed length lens if you can only have one lens in the bag.

AmishBoy said:   dogmeat said:   Sorry to disagree, but a 80mm prespective is a great portrait lens, but not the best for a fixed focal length general purpose lens. I think you'd be better off with a 18-50mm to work in that range (or even longer). This is a great lens, but not a great all-around lens.
I am making my first foray into DSLR videography and just picked up the T3i deal from Amazon. I know the lenses I got with it aren't what I need for my intended purpose, and am looking for the most cost-effective solution for man-on-the-street type interviews. Would be exclusively using manual focus to achieve the depth of field (bokeh) effect for my documentaries. Another videographer I contacted uses and recommends a 35mm f/2 prime. Would you agree?

Thanks in for one just in time for family gatherings.

AmishBoy said:   dogmeat said:   Sorry to disagree, but a 80mm prespective is a great portrait lens, but not the best for a fixed focal length general purpose lens. I think you'd be better off with a 18-50mm to work in that range (or even longer). This is a great lens, but not a great all-around lens.
I am making my first foray into DSLR videography and just picked up the T3i deal from Amazon. I know the lenses I got with it aren't what I need for my intended purpose, and am looking for the most cost-effective solution for man-on-the-street type interviews. Would be exclusively using manual focus to achieve the depth of field (bokeh) effect for my documentaries. Another videographer I contacted uses and recommends a 35mm f/2 prime. Would you agree?

The 35mm f/2 is a great lens, and it'll be a reasonable effective focal length (56 mm) on the crop body. Here's a site that has really good reviews of Canon lenses in general:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-35mm-f-2.0-L...
Another I'd recommend for your purpose is the 28mm f/1.8 (44.8 mm effective focal length)
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-28mm-f-1.8-U...

For those of you with a crop camera, I highly recommend the Sigma 30mm to use as a standard lens. You will have fun with this 50mm, but you will use the Sigma much much more and it has similar quality. I'm also reading that 40mm users are complaining about having too much zoom on their APS-C cameras.

People love the "nifty fifty" because it is a standard focal length. That is not the case on a crop camera.

See the Sigma 30mm here:
http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-30mm-Canon-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0007U...

I notice this is still $299 and have been researching for a few days. I don't pretend to know a lot about dslr's. I have a T2i with the 18-55mm and 55-250mm lenses but can't seem to find out how well this fits in my arsenal. If some experienced users can help out a greenhorn, I'd really appreciate it! Perhaps some recommendations on a decent macro lens as well.

JVEC said:   I notice this is still $299 and have been researching for a few days. I don't pretend to know a lot about dslr's. I have a T2i with the 18-55mm and 55-250mm lenses but can't seem to find out how well this fits in my arsenal. If some experienced users can help out a greenhorn, I'd really appreciate it! Perhaps some recommendations on a decent macro lens as well.

Take your 55mm lens, set it to 50mm of zoom. Walk around taking pictures at that length, and see if you like the level of zoom. If yes, and if you ever shoot in low light, then buy the lens because it will help you in those situations. I think what you'll find, however, is that on your crop body it has too much effective zoom to be a walk-around normal lens (50 x 1.6 = 80mm), and not enough zoom to be a true telephoto. I had a 50 that I never used on my crop body because of that, but the moment I went full frame I started shooting at 50 more.

wahoo2x said:   JVEC said:   If some experienced users can help out a greenhorn, I'd really appreciate it! Perhaps some recommendations on a decent macro lens as well. I had a 50 that I never used on my crop body because of that, but the moment I went full frame I started shooting at 50 more.

I too have a Crop Body Canon and have this lens as I remembered how great 50mm was on my EOS film cameras, but I find that 50mm is too long for a walk around lens on this Canon. It only comes out of the bag when I really need that 1.4 Aperture, but then I still have to figure out how to compose what I want to shoot. You may want to look at the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 (it goes for about $439) as a replacement for this lens on a xxD or a Txi body.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014