• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
CuBua said:   marctritter said:   bugsie said:    FWIW that's the Euro version of the Smart and I think it has far less safety features than USA ones.

Sorry to burst your bubble here but itīs actually the other way around. The Euro crash test standard is WAY harder to pass than a US one. In fact they build way more stable cars for the (Western) Europe than for US. That also explain the usually much higher prices of the cars bought in Europe. If it was in Eastern Europe I would agree but Western European cars (especially German ones like Smart, Mecedes, BMW, Audi and Volkswagen) have to be built more stable.
I know this from professionally driving German cars in Germany and the US (I travel between both countries a lot). I donīt do that anymore but I did it until two years ago.


love my 750 li

I hear jokes about buy more warranty but other than resets on various computer systems I havnt had an issue in 4 yrs


That's cause you're still under warranty.

thenew3 said:   On the other hand, if you are in the market for a Benz, know that MB is trying to outsell BMW right now, so they have a huge unadvertised rebate program going on. Many dealers will let you take anywhere from $5k to $25k off a new 2012/2013 Benz without even trying. This is going on till the end of the month. MB and BMW are in race to take the "most luxury vehicle sold" title.

Just last week I was offered $20k off a new GL without even trying to negotiate. $20k off a $75k vehicle is a great deal. I bet the discount is even higher on the $200k SLS. Even without a higher discount, $20k off a SLS would still be a better deal than taking the free "smart" car.


where did you get the 20k off deal on GL?

thenew3 said:   On the other hand, if you are in the market for a Benz, know that MB is trying to outsell BMW right now, so they have a huge unadvertised rebate program going on. Many dealers will let you take anywhere from $5k to $25k off a new 2012/2013 Benz without even trying. This is going on till the end of the month. MB and BMW are in race to take the "most luxury vehicle sold" title.

Just last week I was offered $20k off a new GL without even trying to negotiate. $20k off a $75k vehicle is a great deal. I bet the discount is even higher on the $200k SLS. Even without a higher discount, $20k off a SLS would still be a better deal than taking the free "smart" car.


Strange marketing plan - trying to outsell BMW, but keep the rebates and discounts a secret. Usually advertising such deals will result in a lot more sales, thus accomplishing the goal of outselling BMW.

marctritter said:   bugsie said:    FWIW that's the Euro version of the Smart and I think it has far less safety features than USA ones.

Sorry to burst your bubble here but itīs actually the other way around. The Euro crash test standard is WAY harder to pass than a US one. In fact they build way more stable cars for the (Western) Europe than for US. That also explain the usually much higher prices of the cars bought in Europe. If it was in Eastern Europe I would agree but Western European cars (especially German ones like Smart, Mecedes, BMW, Audi and Volkswagen) have to be built more stable.
I know this from professionally driving German cars in Germany and the US (I travel between both countries a lot). I donīt do that anymore but I did it until two years ago.


Well, I do hate to burst your bubble but the standards aren't WAY harder, they are the virtually the same. I imagine you are talking about the Euro NCAP which is the harder of the European ratings. Start comparing European cars with the IIHS and the NCAP and you can see how they both notice the same crash issues. NCAP uses 5 stars, and IIHS groups into four categories, so maybe the stars are more accurate than having four groupings but having the same crashes at the exact same speed doesn't really mean one is WAY harder than the other.

Now that everyone's bubble is burst, I will be happy to take the Fortwo off any new SLS owners hands who don't want an inferior vehicle.

How about donating the ForTwo to charity for some tax deduction?

thenew3 said:   On the other hand, if you are in the market for a Benz, know that MB is trying to outsell BMW right now, so they have a huge unadvertised rebate program going on. Many dealers will let you take anywhere from $5k to $25k off a new 2012/2013 Benz without even trying. This is going on till the end of the month. MB and BMW are in race to take the "most luxury vehicle sold" title.

Just last week I was offered $20k off a new GL without even trying to negotiate. $20k off a $75k vehicle is a great deal....
I wish that was the case on the GL350 - there are only 6 cars in stock between my 20 closest dealers, and I'm having no luck getting more than a couple of thousand off sticker. Unfortunately I need a car in the next 2 weeks, so I'll get a beater and wait til next year.

thenew3 said:   Just last week I was offered $20k off a new GL without even trying to negotiate. $20k off a $75k vehicle is a great deal.

These comments are no good a deal forum if you don't say where you got this and what it all entailed. I've seen people push a non-running trade in on to a lot and then conveniently forget to mention that fact when they list what deal they got.

C320 said:   thenew3 said:   Just last week I was offered $20k off a new GL without even trying to negotiate. $20k off a $75k vehicle is a great deal.

These comments are no good a deal forum if you don't say where you got this and what it all entailed. I've seen people push a non-running trade in on to a lot and then conveniently forget to mention that fact when they list what deal they got.


If I got offered $25,000 off a 2012 GL550, I'd take a hard look at it.

no hdmi, i'll pass

In for 2!

pjhartman said:   Dangit, just bought an SLS last week.
Return and rebuy!

TiredOfTaxes said:   How about donating the ForTwo to charity for some tax deduction?

Better yet, sell the smart and use the $ to pay for taxes.

I mean a smartcar with a hayabusa engine can pull 200mph Hayabusa Smart Car

DOChicago said:   MSRP from $189,600. That should cover most of us here on FW, eh?

Pricing


So it comes to $94,800 per car.
Costco : Membership + gas cost to drive to Costco + ?? (Do they sell cars??)
Sams/BJs : Any idea they will be cheaper than Costco? BJs accept coupons and you can pay with any card.
Amazon : Might be cheaper without paying tax in most of the states + free shipping. Want this on my wishlist for Amazon Lightning deals or Gold Box. Amazon r u listening??

Me too i find it hard to believe, can you points us to the 20k rebate of 75k on GL? I am lookign for GL i see a 2013 GL for GL350 BlueTEC SUV for Starting at $62,400* -20k=42k+etc
, I would luv to get one for 42K.. if thats realistically possible.
the lowest is can see for 2012 is around 59k+

amexnetwork trucar

shopper711 said:   thenew3 said:   On the other hand, if you are in the market for a Benz, know that MB is trying to outsell BMW right now, so they have a huge unadvertised rebate program going on. Many dealers will let you take anywhere from $5k to $25k off a new 2012/2013 Benz without even trying. This is going on till the end of the month. MB and BMW are in race to take the "most luxury vehicle sold" title.

Just last week I was offered $20k off a new GL without even trying to negotiate. $20k off a $75k vehicle is a great deal. I bet the discount is even higher on the $200k SLS. Even without a higher discount, $20k off a SLS would still be a better deal than taking the free "smart" car.


I find that hard to believe. The last I checked, the average rebate is few thousand dollars.

thenew3 said:   On the other hand, if you are in the market for a Benz, know that MB is trying to outsell BMW right now, so they have a huge unadvertised rebate program going on. Many dealers will let you take anywhere from $5k to $25k off a new 2012/2013 Benz without even trying. This is going on till the end of the month. MB and BMW are in race to take the "most luxury vehicle sold" title.

Just last week I was offered $20k off a new GL without even trying to negotiate. $20k off a $75k vehicle is a great deal. I bet the discount is even higher on the $200k SLS. Even without a higher discount, $20k off a SLS would still be a better deal than taking the free "smart" car.

which dealership you are talking about. I would like to get the name and ask my local dealership if they can match. This will be an awesome price for GL model. Is $20K off all GL model even base ones? Thanks

Per their FB page:
All we can say is wow! Our set limit of 500 claims for our Free smart car with SLS AMG
Purchase was reached in one day! Now that the offer is over, we will honor those who
redeemed the coupon on a first come first served basis.

in for 2. Thanks OP!

It's only a smart car until you get broadsided. Then you look "dumb" for buying such a small car.

neeedcoupon said:   Me too i find it hard to believe, can you points us to the 20k rebate of 75k on GL? I am lookign for GL i see a 2013 GL for GL350 BlueTEC SUV for Starting at $62,400* -20k=42k+etc
, I would luv to get one for 42K.. if thats realistically possible.
the lowest is can see for 2012 is around 59k+

amexnetwork trucar

shopper711 said:   thenew3 said:   On the other hand, if you are in the market for a Benz, know that MB is trying to outsell BMW right now, so they have a huge unadvertised rebate program going on. Many dealers will let you take anywhere from $5k to $25k off a new 2012/2013 Benz without even trying. This is going on till the end of the month. MB and BMW are in race to take the "most luxury vehicle sold" title.

Just last week I was offered $20k off a new GL without even trying to negotiate. $20k off a $75k vehicle is a great deal. I bet the discount is even higher on the $200k SLS. Even without a higher discount, $20k off a SLS would still be a better deal than taking the free "smart" car.


I find that hard to believe. The last I checked, the average rebate is few thousand dollars.


It's going to be the leftover model 2012 for sure, A buddy of mine got $25,000 off when they switched from the S-class models several years ago.

antichange said:   

Any promo codes or rebates to sweeten deal, and cover for travel to KS if not local?



Mercedes Benz of Kansas City is in Missouri, just like the major airport for the region. No need to go to Kansas.

wckddudeman said:   I mean a smartcar with a hayabusa engine can pull 200mph Hayabusa Smart Car

Good luck with that, a Hayabusa with a Hayabusa engine can't pull 200mph....

deleted !

marctritter said:   bugsie said:    FWIW that's the Euro version of the Smart and I think it has far less safety features than USA ones.

Sorry to burst your bubble here but itīs actually the other way around. The Euro crash test standard is WAY harder to pass than a US one. In fact they build way more stable cars for the (Western) Europe than for US. That also explain the usually much higher prices of the cars bought in Europe. If it was in Eastern Europe I would agree but Western European cars (especially German ones like Smart, Mecedes, BMW, Audi and Volkswagen) have to be built more stable.
I know this from professionally driving German cars in Germany and the US (I travel between both countries a lot). I donīt do that anymore but I did it until two years ago.


I honestly don't know if that's why Euro cars are more expensive on the whole but this site http://www.crashlabsupport.com/regulations___standards is reflective of what I had thought. While certain tests (front end being one of them) may or may not be more stringent (and I don't have all the time to do the research) it's fairly clear that the US has far more regulations regarding auto safety and that might have been where my "bubble" was formed.

This too is interesting : http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26444467/ns/business-autos/t/perfect... . Especially this part :

"Tests may look similar at the outset but contain Crucial differences. The European frontal crash test uses a deformable barrier — made to mimic another car — that slams into 40 percent of the front of the vehicle. That challenges engineers to spread the energy from the crash across the rest of the car. The fixed barrier in the U.S. test absorbs no energy, causing a severe crash that evaluates the vehicle's overall strength.

Adding to the complexity of the frontal test is that the U.S. and Europe put their crash test dummies in different seating positions, which can affect how the air bags should deploy, said IIHS President Adrian Lund."

What's your point CuBua?

I bought them all but left one for my fellow FWers.

Off to eBay!

I asked the same question, and since there's no reply regarding this, I'm gonna guess this is very YMMV. I would be all over this deal even if the discount was around $15k instead of $20k off MSRP. It appears that a few of us are in the market for the GL, so let's get this bumped and alive again. I'm hoping for a nice year end deal...

sychang888 said:   thenew3 said:   On the other hand, if you are in the market for a Benz, know that MB is trying to outsell BMW right now, so they have a huge unadvertised rebate program going on. Many dealers will let you take anywhere from $5k to $25k off a new 2012/2013 Benz without even trying. This is going on till the end of the month. MB and BMW are in race to take the "most luxury vehicle sold" title.

Just last week I was offered $20k off a new GL without even trying to negotiate. $20k off a $75k vehicle is a great deal. I bet the discount is even higher on the $200k SLS. Even without a higher discount, $20k off a SLS would still be a better deal than taking the free "smart" car.

which dealership you are talking about. I would like to get the name and ask my local dealership if they can match. This will be an awesome price for GL model. Is $20K off all GL model even base ones? Thanks

bugsie said:   Yeah, at 70 MPH into a wall is exactly the type of accident you'd expect to have in that little car and a fair test to be sure. How about hitting an SUV doing 35mph while you're doing 35? They crash cars into barriers in order to *apply* the example to real life scenarios...



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.