• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Virgin Mobile
See Virgin Mobile discounts that earn $17.50 FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

novatel Mifi 2200 mobile hotspot
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
They cancelled all but 3 of my orders =/

Guess that is what I get for being greedy

Time to start Christmas shopping again

DontUKnowMe (Dec. 10, 2012 @ 12:45p) |

No
No

Alcibiades (Dec. 10, 2012 @ 7:06p) |

Virgin Mobile 3g speeds are often the equivalent to a lump of coal, so don't feel too bad.

scoobiedoobie (Dec. 10, 2012 @ 7:54p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Please add "3G" to your post title.

Would be good if they had a low basic plan for the occasional user...m but $35 for a month of service is just too much...

can be modified to cell plan by flashing cell phone firmwire?

Okay,just a link?

Is this item $5 CashBack or $12.50 CashBack? Anyone ordered can confirm?

Cash Back is $12.50

Seems expensive for the service.

Getting crappy connection in south Florida.
as we use short bursts of data, it does not always send the data.

We also have a Verizon 4g hotspot, much better (but $$$)

The MiFi 2200 is a very solid unit, decent performer. You can't go wrong for $20 (I have a few of the Verizon version)

The problem is Virgin (Sprint) service.

Avoid Virgin for this..

They make you login via their webportal each time you use the Mifi. Its not like others that you just turn on and use. Its a real PITA.

Not worth the hassle in IMHO. I bought one for my wife and we turned it off after a few months and went with another carrier.

I have used the 2200 on Sprint and Verizon and its a great product, but not on this carrier

I've been using the MiFi sold thru WalMart for the last 6 weeks and it works great for the occassional user that cannot get a free wifi connection. It's called "Internet to Go", and you decide if you pay as you go, or pay by the month for a lot more airtime. The MiFi hotspot was $80 and they give you a $25 bonus for signing up after your initial loading.

kingston53 said:   Avoid Virgin for this..

They make you login via their webportal each time you use the Mifi. Its not like others that you just turn on and use. Its a real PITA.

Not worth the hassle in IMHO. I bought one for my wife and we turned it off after a few months and went with another carrier.

I have used the 2200 on Sprint and Verizon and its a great product, but not on this carrier

I have this mifi with VM and I don't need to login via the webportal every time. It's only needed when you have to authorize a payment.

Gergor said:   kingston53 said:   Avoid Virgin for this..

I have this mifi with VM and I don't need to login via the webportal every time. It's only needed when you have to authorize a payment.

Same here... no portal

I had VM grandfathered cell plan and my speed was 144Kbps. I don't recollect it was bytes or bits but I think it was close to old ISDN speed. What speed are you getting? I am assuming Cell and MiFi should be very close. They are still offering 25$ grandfather cell plan. I used for few days tethering with iPhone on AT&T and it was faster than my AT&T U verse.

bping2 said:   I've been using the MiFi sold thru WalMart for the last 6 weeks and it works great for the occassional user that cannot get a free wifi connection. It's called "Internet to Go", and you decide if you pay as you go, or pay by the month for a lot more airtime. The MiFi hotspot was $80 and they give you a $25 bonus for signing up after your initial loading.

Yes a much better deal for the infrequent user (though up-front cost is higher)

They both use the same backbone (Sprint) though which kills the deal for me. If Sprint is OK or "tolerable" where you need it then it's golden.

Can I do a "switch device" on my $25 grandfathered plan?

Anything having to do with Sprint is a loser. The MiFi 2200 itself is a winner but not with Sprint who has customer disservice personnel who lie regularly and do nothing. Plus all Sprint executives hide; no matter what, you cannot get through to any of them. The effect is you get lip service but no real service. Plus Sprint is a corporate bully; they expect good money for any kind of lousy service they throw at you.

I had to start a plan today and just logged into their site with my smartphone to get a new plan. So, it is not ideal to have to get connectivity when you have none, but there are some workarounds.

Derffie said:   Would be good if they had a low basic plan for the occasional user...m but $35 for a month of service is just too much...

You mean like the $5/day plan:

Ref: https://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-broadband-plans/broadband...

Note, I think this is a poor deal as it's 3G only. For about $40, you can get a 4G device.
The difference, in a 4G enabled-area, is about a factor of 10x in terms of speed.. Often more than 10x.

awriterpaul2177 said:   Anything having to do with Sprint is a loser. The MiFi 2200 itself is a winner but not with Sprint who has customer disservice personnel who lie regularly and do nothing. Plus all Sprint executives hide; no matter what, you cannot get through to any of them.
I agree that customer service is bad for anything that might require independent thinking. I got off of formal "Sprint" after 10 years of being a customer and trying to keep the cost of two smart phones to under $100/mo. The ironic thing is that I switched to Virgin Mobile and got exactly what I was after for under $75/mo. Like most telcos and cable companies, they treated existing customers badly and offer deals to new customers. In my case, they lost me for good by not offering me a deal that that would have given a new customer.

Virgin Mobile reps are not the same as Sprint service reps. I recognize that they are the same company. VM reps seem to be entirely off-shore, which is not a great thing, but they seem to be graded on the length of a customer's hold time and general customer satisfaction - which very much motivates them to take care of you as a customer within their limited bounds. Then again, last time I called, the total length of that call was 1.5 hours.

tempted to try this out

this works in new York??

sold out

hunter2010 said:   this works in new York??
I have not had a lot of luck getting this to work in Manhattan.

back active...in for 2

make that 6....had to use two separate cards though

decided to get a couple more...this just pretty much knocked out ALL of my final Christmas shopping

is this quad band? can it be unlocked?

They cancelled all but 3 of my orders =/

frank10b said:   is this quad band? can it be unlocked?
No
No

DontUKnowMe said:   They cancelled all but 3 of my orders =/

Virgin Mobile 3g speeds are often the equivalent to a lump of coal, so don't feel too bad.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014