• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Staples
Need a Staples coupon that earns Up to 2.5% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I went into the store yesterday and it was 50% off the MSRP so it was the current price.

pjwill (Dec. 10, 2012 @ 2:54p) |

As usual - the "it's not really a sale" sale. Come on Staples - you've gotta do better than that to lure me into the sto... (more)

kaycen (Dec. 10, 2012 @ 3:13p) |

Checked the Staples here in So. Cal. Asked the computer techs here about the 50% off and the guy offered me a Toshiba B... (more)

orvado (Dec. 10, 2012 @ 3:24p) |

• Also categorized in:

I got some good clearance deals on Win7 laptops for the family when Win8 came out. I made the big mistake of doing the $15 upgrade to Win8. At best you run it in all day in the Desktop mode. (Basically Win7 minus the start button.) I'm not a hater or a fanboy of anyone. I just am letting people know that I regret doing that. Win8 is not better for a laptop. It's just different in a bad way.

cyfan said:   I got some good clearance deals on Win7 laptops for the family when Win8 came out. I made the big mistake of doing the $15 upgrade to Win8. At best you run it in all day in the Desktop mode. (Basically Win7 minus the start button.) I'm not a hater or a fanboy of anyone. I just am letting people know that I regret doing that. Win8 is not better for a laptop. It's just different in a bad way.

I appreciate this input. I just bought a W8 lappy for a Christmas gift, and I think I'll wipe it and load a fresh W7. Would anyone advise against this plan?

ohkeedohkee said:   cyfan said:   I got some good clearance deals on Win7 laptops for the family when Win8 came out. I made the big mistake of doing the $15 upgrade to Win8. At best you run it in all day in the Desktop mode. (Basically Win7 minus the start button.) I'm not a hater or a fanboy of anyone. I just am letting people know that I regret doing that. Win8 is not better for a laptop. It's just different in a bad way.

I appreciate this input. I just bought a W8 lappy for a Christmas gift, and I think I'll wipe it and load a fresh W7. Would anyone advise against this plan?

It depends on what you use the laptop for. If you mainly use it for email/facebook/twitter/news/sports/weather, then Windows 8 is perfect. If you spend 100% of your time on business type applications, it is different. But I still think its a step in the right direction.

ohkeedohkee said:   cyfan said:   I got some good clearance deals on Win7 laptops for the family when Win8 came out. I made the big mistake of doing the $15 upgrade to Win8. At best you run it in all day in the Desktop mode. (Basically Win7 minus the start button.) I'm not a hater or a fanboy of anyone. I just am letting people know that I regret doing that. Win8 is not better for a laptop. It's just different in a bad way.

If it's HP, they won't support your move.

After reading review after review, I took the plunge and upgraded from Win7 to Win8. I knew well in advance about the learning curve but most reviewers said they were happy after about a week or two. Sad to say that after more than one month of every day business use, I'm still having problems finding things and feel that my efficiency has been cut by about 20 - 25%.

choice of win 7 vs 8 will may be influenced by one's primary colors. Good news is that Win 8 will get better with pressure from win 7 users. That is why we need both sides. One to move on, other to make it better.

please list the model and sku you found in the store

November rewards should post by the 13th. Could make for a nice cheap christmas gift!

Yeah I have to Agree I prefer 7 but took the plunge on an 8 desktop the other day.. It takes some getting used too..

Unfortunately, as with Vista, it may not be until Windows 9 that we see that improvement happen!

pagal said:   choice of win 7 vs 8 will may be influenced by one's primary colors. Good news is that Win 8 will get better with pressure from win 7 users. That is why we need both sides. One to move on, other to make it better.

Datapoint - I was in the Concord Pike Store (#0110) in Wilmington, DE yesterday and they said they did not have any Win 7 laptops left.

Yes, I would go with Windows XP instead It was a happy day when I purged Win7 from my life.

edavid said:   ...Yes, I would go with Windows XP instead It was a happy day when I purged Win7 from my life.What? There are newer Windows OSs beyond XP? j/k 40% of the Windows installed base is still XP. MS hasn't given me a reason yet to move beyond it. Except XP support ends April 8, 2014. I may go to MAC rather than Windows 8.

most stores around PHX I checked were cleared out with the last 100$ off event

If you are stuck with Windows 8 and want to make the best of the situation, try Classic Shell (free).

Info

Site

techster said:   If you are stuck with Windows 8 and want to make the best of the situation, try Classic Shell (free).

Info

Site

great site! my start buttons back!

techster said:   If you are stuck with Windows 8 and want to make the best of the situation, try Classic Shell (free).

Info

Site

Thank you. By the way, the first Staples was out of W7 machines. I'll try a couple of other stores tomorrow and report back.

Still using XP? Oh my, I used to be like that. I love Windows 7, less buggy for productivity at least for what I use it for. Why do you like XP?

Info

Site

classic shell is GREAT... especially if you don't want to deal with windows 8 UGLY interface..

Has anyone tried this? How do you know what the price is after the discount? Is it at the register once the sku is entered or only after the checkout button (or whatever) is hit?

Prices looked normal in OKC>

justjeff said:   Prices looked normal in OKC>
meaning?

cheapinfrisco said:   ohkeedohkee said:   cyfan said:   I got some good clearance deals on Win7 laptops for the family when Win8 came out. I made the big mistake of doing the $15 upgrade to Win8. At best you run it in all day in the Desktop mode. (Basically Win7 minus the start button.) I'm not a hater or a fanboy of anyone. I just am letting people know that I regret doing that. Win8 is not better for a laptop. It's just different in a bad way.

It depends on what you use the laptop for. If you mainly use it for email/facebook/twitter/news/sports/weather, then Windows 8 is perfect. If you spend 100% of your time on business type applications, it is different. But I still think its a step in the right direction.

I personally wont do anything drastic until MS puts out the first Service Release Update

I have XP on my desktop and love it (as I did with Windows 98 too, in fact even more). I have Windows 7 on my laptop and after major tweaking have gone from hating it to just disliking it (with maybe a couple features I think are improvements, like pinning programs to the taskbar and the start menu), even so some of my frequently used programs won't run or don't run right on it. Windows 8 looks horrible to use!

Stuck in 20th century, huh?

Newer is not always better.

normal1 said:   Yeah I have to Agree I prefer 7 but took the plunge on an 8 desktop the other day.. It takes some getting used too..never did like the 8. reset back to 7.

nikon5400 said:   Has anyone tried this? How do you know what the price is after the discount? Is it at the register once the sku is entered or only after the checkout button (or whatever) is hit?

Anyone? Is the 50% off the current price or is it 50% off the MSRP price (which is probably the current price).

I went into the store yesterday and it was 50% off the MSRP so it was the current price.

pjwill said:   I went into the store yesterday and it was 50% off the MSRP so it was the current price.

As usual - the "it's not really a sale" sale. Come on Staples - you've gotta do better than that to lure me into the store.

Checked the Staples here in So. Cal. Asked the computer techs here about the 50% off and the guy offered me a Toshiba B970 6GB of ram for $300 (clearance was marked $479). Probably should have bought it but I didn't.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014