• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I've been watching for the Acer W700 Win8 tablet to come in stock at Amazon and this morning I noticed a promotion on the product page for a $100 gift card with the purchase of select windows 8 tablets, including the W700. The promotion is running through 12/15.
That was enough incentive to get me to put my order in today.
Looks like the promotion is good on the following items:
Samsung 500T
Acer W700-6465
Acer W700-6691
Acer W700-6607
Acer W510-1422

This last one shows up as being valid for the promotion, but has a different promotion on the product page today:
Acer W510-1666

Member Summary

Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › Acer
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

As long as the price is higher than iPad, Windows 8 tablets will not sell well. By this upcoming summer, Win8 tablets will be on a clearance. For better FW deal, be patient if you really want one. But I am not sure why anyone would want Win8 tablet. If I was going to buy a tablet, it would be iPad or Nexus 10....better apps and experience. Microsoft came to the party too late and does not have anything unique to these win8 tablets to lure Apple and Android users. It will be another HP Touchpad experience. Wait for clearance.

docjoo said:   As long as the price is higher than iPad, Windows 8 tablets will not sell well. By this upcoming summer, Win8 tablets will be on a clearance. For better FW deal, be patient if you really want one. But I am not sure why anyone would want Win8 tablet. If I was going to buy a tablet, it would be iPad or Nexus 10....better apps and experience. Microsoft came to the party too late and does not have anything unique to these win8 tablets to lure Apple and Android users. It will be another HP Touchpad experience. Wait for clearance.

Totally agree !!!I just trade my Acer W510 W8 for an ipad 4 .For a tablet experience nothing can beat the ipad yet. SUper fast and do what you want in a tablet and to bad i can't say the same for the one with Windows 8. Frustrating touch experience ,freezes , market errors and etc. Yes,wait if you want to get a W8 experience.

docjoo said:   As long as the price is higher than iPad, Windows 8 tablets will not sell well. By this upcoming summer, Win8 tablets will be on a clearance. For better FW deal, be patient if you really want one. But I am not sure why anyone would want Win8 tablet. If I was going to buy a tablet, it would be iPad or Nexus 10....better apps and experience. Microsoft came to the party too late and does not have anything unique to these win8 tablets to lure Apple and Android users. It will be another HP Touchpad experience. Wait for clearance.

If anyone wants to run windows programs iPad and Android are not an option. That's unique.

namlook said:   docjoo said:   As long as the price is higher than iPad, Windows 8 tablets will not sell well. By this upcoming summer, Win8 tablets will be on a clearance. For better FW deal, be patient if you really want one. But I am not sure why anyone would want Win8 tablet. If I was going to buy a tablet, it would be iPad or Nexus 10....better apps and experience. Microsoft came to the party too late and does not have anything unique to these win8 tablets to lure Apple and Android users. It will be another HP Touchpad experience. Wait for clearance.

If anyone wants to run windows programs iPad and Android are not an option. That's unique.

Why do you need a tablet to run Windows? If I was going to use Windows program, I can use a cheap $350 Windows 8 11.6" i3 processor laptop that will give me similar experience as these overpriced Win8 tablets.

I upgraded my new Dell All-In-One touchscreen Win 7 computer to Win 8...it was waste of money. The touchscreen function actually works better on Win 7 than Win 8.

That's really funny that you say that Microsoft "came to the party too late". Microsoft was selling tablet computers over ten years ago. See this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablet_computer#History and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Tablet_PC

Apple didn't come out with their iPad until 2010.

Late to the party... that's funny.

Agree on the premise, except nobody bought it back then ...

FinancialAnalyst said:   
That's really funny that you say that Microsoft "came to the party too late". Microsoft was selling tablet computers over ten years ago. See this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablet_computer#History and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Tablet_PC

this hybrid laptop/tablet looks interesting....would be interested to hear any opinions on it:
Dell XPS

aquadoll said:   Agree on the premise, except nobody bought it back then ...

FinancialAnalyst said:   

I bought one. It's cool, but not that cool. Not any cooler now than before. MS just got the use case wrong. Nobody want a full functional computing platform. They wanted a media consumption device in a closed ecosystem that apps are sold at $1-$2 on average. Who cares about getting work done?

FinancialAnalyst said:   docjoo said:   As long as the price is higher than iPad, Windows 8 tablets will not sell well. By this upcoming summer, Win8 tablets will be on a clearance. For better FW deal, be patient if you really want one. But I am not sure why anyone would want Win8 tablet. If I was going to buy a tablet, it would be iPad or Nexus 10....better apps and experience. Microsoft came to the party too late and does not have anything unique to these win8 tablets to lure Apple and Android users. It will be another HP Touchpad experience. Wait for clearance.

Did you buy the first Microsoft tablet brick?....I mean computer....how can you even compare that brick with iPad? From what I remember, it was based on a desktop windows platform....wasn't really designed as tablet OS.

Late to the party....because of apps...IOS and Android are dominating because of apps. HP Touchpad had nice Palm OS software and hardware was actually better than Android tablets...but no apps....so Touchpad did not sell well. HP were late to the tablet market....so Microsoft is trying to do something HP failed miserably. Yes, Mircosoft has more money than HP...but not enough to catch up to Apple and Google within next two years. Only way I can see Microsoft make an impact in tablet market is to make it a dual bootable tablet...Win8 and Android OS. By making a dual bootable, the current buyers can at least use Android apps while waiting for Microsoft to catch up on apps. At this point, buyers of Win8 only tablets are going to wish they waited until Microsoft developed more apps. Win8 tablets have a high chance of failure no matter how much money Steve Balmer spends on marketing. People who bought Touchpad knows very well what it feels like to buy a tablet with very limited apps. It's a very frustrating and lonely world for the 3rd platform.

TrueValue said:   this hybrid laptop/tablet looks interesting....would be interested to hear any opinions on it:
Dell XPS

Why don't you buy it for $1200 and let us know since you have such a high interest. For $1200, I rather buy Nexus 10 or iPad 4 and nice ultra slim laptop. Buying this XPS us like buying a DVD player with VHS tape player built-in. Why do you need this combo at a ridiculously high price?

namlook said:   docjoo said:   As long as the price is higher than iPad, Windows 8 tablets will not sell well. By this upcoming summer, Win8 tablets will be on a clearance. For better FW deal, be patient if you really want one. But I am not sure why anyone would want Win8 tablet. If I was going to buy a tablet, it would be iPad or Nexus 10....better apps and experience. Microsoft came to the party too late and does not have anything unique to these win8 tablets to lure Apple and Android users. It will be another HP Touchpad experience. Wait for clearance.

In theory one could run MS's Office 365 products in any web browser. I say "in theory" because I'm on a trial version of it and I can't get any of it to work!

docjoo, I agree with many of your points, but you are really clueless here.

Careful... most of the tablets in this promotion are now out of stock at Amazon and only available from 3rd party sellers.
"The promotion applies only to products sold by Amazon.com. It does not apply to the same products sold by other sellers. "

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014