• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
This is for the regular Kindle Fire (though the newer version) and not the HD. Plus, yes, the out-the-door cost is $134.99 + tax, but I figure the free $25 Kindle gift card lowers the realized price to $109.99 + tax. So, in that sense, it is a better deal than Amazon's $129 Cyber Monday special.

First, grab this week's flyer from Office Depot. On the front cover is the Kindle Fire for $134.99.

Second, go to Staples and grab their flyer (you'll probably need it). Their Fire offer is also on the front cover and it is $159 with an "instant" $25 Kindle gift card. The store I was at, didn't have the regular Kindle Fires out on display, so I had to ask for one from the back. I also asked if they "price-matched" Office Depot, showed them the ad, and was rung up at $134.99 with no problems. I had to mention the $25 card and he initially wasn't aware of it, but then said it wouldn't work because of the price-match discount. But, I pointed out that Staples' policy is for rebates and discounts, not a bonus. But a manager came over and said the card should go with it anyway, regardless of the price.

Of course, then the fun began as, apparently, Staples' system doesn't seem to recognize the $25 gift card bonus as of Sunday. Punching in the required numbers didn't seem to work and they kept trying it as a rebate form (perhaps, thinking of prior offers). I pointed out their ad says "instant" Kindle card, so they finally grabbed one from the shelf and it finally rang up as free.

So, again, the only problem seemed to be getting their system to recognize this week's card bonus offer, and not whether a customer should receive one with a price-match. It might help to go ahead and grab a Kindle gift card beforehand when going to the cashier to help the process move along.

So, in the end, my Kindle Fire came to $145.42 w/tax. Subtract out the the $25 free card and it comes to $120. Not bad for a decent tablet for our 10-year-old.

They also had a bunch of Targus Vuscape cases for the Fire that were $5, but rang up at just $4. Oh, although unrelated, there were also some "Phineas and Ferb" kids backpacks at just $6.

EDIT: This deal is good until both flyers expire -- Saturday, December 15th.

Staples
Need a Staples coupon that earns Up to 2.5% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

Kindle Fire 2nd Gen
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Called my niece as she was driving to OD and had her reroute to Staples instead. She had no problem getting the price-ma... (more)

azs1 (Dec. 15, 2012 @ 4:11p) |

I went to one store that I happened to be near at the time. I asked if they would price match and they said yes. They ... (more)

hueyav8or (Dec. 21, 2012 @ 6:46a) |

I finally spoke to the district manager yesterday. He apologized for the poor behavior of the store manager and said he ... (more)

allerobed (Dec. 25, 2012 @ 3:25p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

regardless of official policy huge ymmv on getting them to pm and honor the giftcard. actually I'm not even sure you are correct about policy re: bonuses, but congrats to you on getting them to give it to you!

thanks - was wondering if this would work. I may try tomorrow. I keep hoping to see the $129 price again like on cyber monday. Also applied for the CC and got $50 off. The other kid is asking for one now and would love to get a similar deal.

Will post if I have any luck tomorrow.

crazypalooza said:   regardless of official policy huge ymmv on getting them to pm and honor the giftcard. actually I'm not even sure you are correct about policy re: bonuses, but congrats to you on getting them to give it to you!

I didn't even have to plead my case with the manager. After I had said I would return it (I figured I would just go to Office Max and use my Max Perks), she was called over to authorize and on her own said I should have got the card.

Here's Staples' price match Lingo:

All coupons and rebates (including Easy Rebates, instant rebates or savings, and Staples or manufacturer mail–in rebates) are deducted from the price of the Staples product when calculating a price match.

Technically, I think this bonus doesn't fall into the above categories since it doesn't actually affect the product price. But, I'm sure some managers would differ.

Not sure why the red. If a person is in the market for a Kindle Fire, and not an HD or Nexus 7, this is a nice price.

cool i like this

in 4 1. Thanks OP! green for you!

I know it's not the Fire HD, and Amazon is having a good sale today (12/10) on the 8.9" now (use "FIREHD89" for $50 off), but for a basic tablet I think it's a steal. The price here is around the same as the COBY, Polaroid, Sylvania, etc. that we always consider but are turned off by the reviews. With the Kindles, you know you are getting a good build and a solid company behind it. Granted, you are in the Amazon garden with apps and stuff. But considering this is for a 10-year-old, I kind of like the fact it will be in the safer Amazon world instead of some questionable Android apps that are out there. I hope this deal is working for others.

I've never done a PM at Staples. I have no Office Depot near me to get a flyer. Do you think they'll accept a printout of the Office Depot ad or the ad pulled up on my phone?

Is the $25 gift card for any Amazon.com purchases or for Kindle books from Amazon.com? Thanks.

Any purchase.
dave4ster said:   Is the $25 gift card for any Amazon.com purchases or for Kindle books from Amazon.com? Thanks.

allerobed said:   I've never done a PM at Staples. I have no Office Depot near me to get a flyer. Do you think they'll accept a printout of the Office Depot ad or the ad pulled up on my phone?

I think a printout would suffice. Here's their Price Match rules. Unfortunately they don't mention the medium used. But, they also don't exclude things. So I would think your phone would work or pulling it up on one of their computers.

As for the card. It is the Amazon Kindle gift card. But the wording says "Amazon Gift Cards are good for Kindle books, accessories and millions of other items on Amazon.com" So I would take it that it just goes in your general gift card balance.

You may want to use it for the charger. It's back to $19.99, but Amazon customer service will give you a $10 promotional credit, if you complain about the price and seeing how it is $9.99 a lot of the time. It worked for me.

Edit: For some reason the above link to Staples Price Match page redirects to their Hot Deals page. Not sure what that is about. So here is the cut-and-paste version http://www.staples.com/sbd/content/help/using/general_match.html Cripes, even clicking on the link here redirects to the Hot Deals page. I think FatWallet is doing something. Just highlight the address and put it in your browser field.

Thanks, I'll try. Also thanks on the tip about the charger.

They wouldn't give me the GC in Columbia, MD. I didn't really protest.

serious YMMV, around here all the managers interpret the policy of not matching bonus items as in, we won't match OD price because ours includes a bonus item even though its a higher price.

Maybe I just got lucky with my manager. Like I said, she was under the impression it should include GC right from the get-go. I didn't have to even push my case. But I guess it could have just been one of those lucky breaks. Hopefully someone else here has success.

i got the kindle fire for the 134.99 with the pm plus the 25 Amazon gift card, plus they let me use the 5$ coupon from the circular. It does not get much sweeter than that.

And the coupon even list Kindles under the exclusions, I think you got 2x lucky!
Do the new version of the kindles not include the adapter?
I wonder if they still support Adobe Flash. I know that got dropped on the HD line.

jeffd said:   And the coupon even list Kindles under the exclusions, I think you got 2x lucky!
Do the new version of the kindles not include the adapter?
I wonder if they still support Adobe Flash. I know that got dropped on the HD line.

From Adobe's site, supported Devices:
Amazon

Fire

Tablet

Android 2.3 (OS)

FP10.3 (Runtime)

Can someone check if the latest is running droid 2.3, FP10.3?

ecomajor said:   i got the kindle fire for the 134.99 with the pm plus the 25 Amazon gift card, plus they let me use the 5$ coupon from the circular. It does not get much sweeter than that.

Glad someone else is getting this. And with a $5 off coupon to boot. Cripes, I never bother with those as the exclusions are for everything I would want to use a coupon for. Might have to start trying with them just to see.

ecomajor said:   i got the kindle fire for the 134.99 with the pm plus the 25 Amazon gift card, plus they let me use the 5$ coupon from the circular. It does not get much sweeter than that.

Did you bring the gift card to the register and it automatically took $25 off?

This is the best deal!! I just got two for the discounted price and I was prepared for battle on the gift cards, but they had no problem at all with including them. I did have to ask for them, though. And I didn't want to push my luck asking for the $5 coupon as well.

Don't bother spending $20 on a charger. Any old charger with the mini usb should work fine. I use my smart phone's cable for charging and data on my fire.

BTW: Amazon has a really annoying policy of charging $1 for things that are free in Google Play, luckily sideloading those apps isn't very hard.

allerobed said:   ecomajor said:   i got the kindle fire for the 134.99 with the pm plus the 25 Amazon gift card, plus they let me use the 5$ coupon from the circular. It does not get much sweeter than that.

Did you bring the gift card to the register and it automatically took $25 off?

I finally brought the card to the register as they were having problems getting their system to issue the card bonus. Quite frankly it seemed to take care of itself once they scanned the actual $25 gift card. It was scanned and then $25 was taken off as the bonus. I do think they have to key something in. But once they had the card in hand, it went easily.

Stupid question ....nevermind

Kindle fire is on fire sale again?

I was able to get the price match but no gc. The manager was a complete witch. She said I was "lucky" she did the price match. She then grabbed the gift card off the counter and said "you're not getting this". I never mentioned the gift card, just had it on the counter with the rest of my stuff that I was buying. For all she knew I could have been buying the gift card too. I left there pretty pissed.

I'd like to add that I wasn't pissed about not getting the gift card, but pissed about her acting like she was doing me a personal favor.

Successfully done. Manager said "No problem" to $25 Amazon gift card. Good luck to those who wants to try!

No luck here - I too didn't even ask for the gift card, but the manager wouldn't match the price. Debating whether I want to waste the gas to try another store.

allerobed said:   I was able to get the price match but no gc. The manager was a complete witch. She said I was "lucky" she did the price match. She then grabbed the gift card off the counter and said "you're not getting this". I never mentioned the gift card, just had it on the counter with the rest of my stuff that I was buying. For all she knew I could have been buying the gift card too. I left there pretty pissed.
Standing there, I would have asked her for the phone number of her Staples District Manager and had a chat with him in her presence. Otherwise, I would have left EVERYTHING lie there and said "you've just lost a longtime customer" and "I'll be calling corporate and relating my story". Rude business people just PISS ME OFF! You can say, "no", just don't be a jackass about it.

allerobed said:   I was able to get the price match but no gc. The manager was a complete witch. She said I was "lucky" she did the price match. She then grabbed the gift card off the counter and said "you're not getting this". I never mentioned the gift card, just had it on the counter with the rest of my stuff that I was buying. For all she knew I could have been buying the gift card too. I left there pretty pissed.

If they were rude about it, and you are fine with just the Fire for the price, just go to Office Depot or OfficeMax (they usually price match). Like I had said, the clerk was balking at the $25 card so I was just going to return it and take the OD ad to OfficeMax and use some MaxPerks rewards and price match. But it was the Staples manager that said I should have received the card too. So I stayed.

Just went in and the manager did a PM for me. Showed her the weekly ad for Office Depot on my cell phone. Rang me up and threw in the $25 card, no questions asked.

anonguy said:   allerobed said:   I was able to get the price match but no gc. The manager was a complete witch. She said I was "lucky" she did the price match. She then grabbed the gift card off the counter and said "you're not getting this". I never mentioned the gift card, just had it on the counter with the rest of my stuff that I was buying. For all she knew I could have been buying the gift card too. I left there pretty pissed.

If they were rude about it, and you are fine with just the Fire for the price, just go to Office Depot or OfficeMax (they usually price match). Like I had said, the clerk was balking at the $25 card so I was just going to return it and take the OD ad to OfficeMax and use some MaxPerks rewards and price match. But it was the Staples manager that said I should have received the card too. So I stayed.

There's no Office Depot or Office Max that close to me. Trust me, if I wasn't in a hurry I would have called on the spot or would have left everything on the counter,but along with the Kindle was some ink I needed for my printer to print some $10 Target coupons and that was the only chance I had that day to buy them. I did place a call to the district manager yesterday and got a voice message back this morning but didn't get a chance to return the call. To get the number I called the store where I was treated rudely and the very same manager gave me his number. She asked why I wanted it and told her about an issue I had in the store. She tried to get it out of me and was super sweet. Idiot.

I ended up going to another Staples and they did the price match but no card. Both stores were pretty rude. Makes you feel like you are stealing. Came home and ordered the refurbished from bb and will return to Staples.

Got Staples to pricematch with gift card. All I did was bring both the Kindle and gift card to register, have them scan both and then showed them the ad to Office Depot to pricematch. Girl at the register didn't even have to ask for manager approval, just keyed in new price and was done. Ordered another kindle fire on Amazon using the Firemoms deal with gift card and it came out to $130 with taxes and fees.

These stores need to get on the same page. They are the ones that are offering price-matches, so they should be prepared with a consistent answer. And being rude just makes it less likely to return for anything.

I went to a local OD store and got the advertisement, took it in to Staples and asked for a Kindle Fire. There was a big sign by the display that said you got the $25 gift card with purchase and the manager reminded me to pick one up and take it to the register. At the register I asked if they still did a price match and she said "yes" and asked to see the OD advertisement. The manager then said that the policy was to match the price after the inclusion of the cost of all free gifts etc. I then pulled out a printed copy of the Staples price match policy that someone earlier had linked to (many thanks anonguy) and she was very nice and gave me the card as well. She asked for my copy of the ad and I was out the door for $143 with $25 Amazon card in hand.

My wife was with me and she commented that while she was very nice and curteous, that she was giving me token resistance and would probably not have given me the card if I didn't have the Staples price match policy right there and was knowledgable about the policy. I can't complain because I got a great deal, but I sincerely doubt that Staples would have given me or anyone else a problem had the bundle included a free case or something. Why should an Amazon gift card be treated any differently? As others have said, they really need to train their people a little better with respect to the policy because if you read the policy it is not ambiguous at all IMHO.

Bottom line is that recently I have been to two different Staples stores for two very different products and both times was treated very well. So far my experience with Staples has been extremely positive and it helps that they keep sending me coupons and rewards for $5, $25 and $75 off purchases. I don't know why they want my business so badly, but thus far they have earned it.

Good to see it's working. Like ViveLeRoi said, have the price match printout available if you think there may be a problem.

Just a note, today, Saturday (12/15), is the last day for these sales. Good luck.

Called my niece as she was driving to OD and had her reroute to Staples instead. She had no problem getting the price-match and the $25 gift card, and a brand new Kindle for her Dad for Christmas!

Thanks!!

Skipping 2 Messages...
I finally spoke to the district manager yesterday. He apologized for the poor behavior of the store manager and said he would retrain her on the price match policy. He did say that according to the policy the gift card shouldn't have been included, but he was giving me one as an apology gift. I'm happy with that.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014