• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Was at my local Costco yesterday and saw this drive for $99.97, there we only three on the shelf, I know the .97 pricing usually means it is a discontinued item. They also have the newer version of this drive (the backup plus) for $120 after instant coupon.

3TB FreeAgent GoFlex Desk
USB 3.0
STAC3000602
Costco Item# 628531

Member Summary

Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 3TB (27.62kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Curious on the internal drive itself. Anyone know?

Inside is the Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive.

"One item in the Barracuda's data sheet related to reliability caught our eye. Although the document lists NAS and desktop RAID applications as best-fit applications for Seagate's offering, the specified 2400-hour power-on rating indicates that this drive was not designed for environments requiring 24/7 availability. If that were the case, its specification should say 8760 hours. The 2400-hour specification, which represents only 100 days of continuous operation, assumes that drives are used eight hours per day, five days per week. This means that the drives should take full advantage of any available power-saving technologies that shut down the spindle motor during idle times. This applies equally to desktops and storage servers. Should you decide to use Barracuda drives in a NAS device, for instance, donít forget to configure its power management appropriately."
- http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/4tb-3tb-hdd,3183-4.html

i got two of the backup plus versions on black friday at costco for $99 each after instant rebate.

angeezee said:   i got two of the backup plus versions on black friday at costco for $99 each after instant rebate.

How would this apply to, say, today?

JarginAU said:   Inside is the Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive.

"One item in the Barracuda's data sheet related to reliability caught our eye. Although the document lists NAS and desktop RAID applications as best-fit applications for Seagate's offering, the specified 2400-hour power-on rating indicates that this drive was not designed for environments requiring 24/7 availability. If that were the case, its specification should say 8760 hours. The 2400-hour specification, which represents only 100 days of continuous operation, assumes that drives are used eight hours per day, five days per week. This means that the drives should take full advantage of any available power-saving technologies that shut down the spindle motor during idle times. This applies equally to desktops and storage servers. Should you decide to use Barracuda drives in a NAS device, for instance, donít forget to configure its power management appropriately."
- http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/4tb-3tb-hdd,3183-4.html

Wow, thanks for that info. Luckily I was not planning on using this as a 24/7 device attached to my Synology, I was only going to use this as a periodic backup device for my internal drives and maybe for my NAS as well.

Do you know what drive is inside the newer version? (Backup Plus)

labboypro said:   angeezee said:   i got two of the backup plus versions on black friday at costco for $99 each after instant rebate.

Perhaps a simple hint that the price of the new one is heading lower. angeezee didnt disparage the deal and his comment was helpful. This info is useful to a lot of us.

ComeOnNow said:   labboypro said:   angeezee said:   i got two of the backup plus versions on black friday at costco for $99 each after instant rebate.

Perhaps a simple hint that the price of the new one is heading lower. angeezee didnt disparage the deal and his comment was helpful. This info is useful to a lot of us.

Telling us that he bought something during a previous special sale period doesn't seem particularly helpful. Perhaps, had he indicated that this special price was going to happen again, along with some credible reference to support such a statement, that would have been helpful. But the classic "I got a great deal that is no longer" doesn't really help anyone in the present. It's just someone bragging. I can use camelcamelcamel or any number of other sites to determine historical pricing on an item. I don't need angeezee to tell me what he paid.

labboypro said:   ComeOnNow said:   labboypro said:   angeezee said:   i got two of the backup plus versions on black friday at costco for $99 each after instant rebate.

Telling us that he bought something during a previous special sale period doesn't seem particularly helpful. Perhaps, had he indicated that this special price was going to happen again, along with some credible reference to support such a statement, that would have been helpful. But the classic "I got a great deal that is no longer" doesn't really help anyone in the present. It's just someone bragging. I can use camelcamelcamel or any number of other sites to determine historical pricing on an item. I don't need angeezee to tell me what he paid.

To some it may seem bragging, while to others it's information as to available prices for the same or similar items at different points in time, which may provide some indication of the value of the current deal - to buy or to wait.

The inclusion of BF in the comment by angeezee is helpful to those who did not see the item then, as it may indicate less probability of the price being repeated soon, but some items ordered for BF or other special 'sales' that sell slower than expected are put on clearance by retailers.

You have some information so place your bets. You can't wait till the horse race is over to pick your winners.

What sites other than camelcamelcamel (and it's sister sites) provide you with historical information?

labboypro said:   ComeOnNow said:   labboypro said:   angeezee said:   i got two of the backup plus versions on black friday at costco for $99 each after instant rebate.

seriously?

at least others who responded understood why i posted. why would you NOT want to know the recent historical price for an item you are considering buying? i know i sure would. i'm always happy when other fatwalleters post what they paid for an item i'm considering purchasing. i took the time to post the information so the community could make a more informed decision, not to brag. brag about buying hard drives? wouldn't even enter my mind. i additionally included the information that i bought them on Black Friday so people would know it was not an every-day sale, but if someone was not in a rush, they might want to wait and see if the price came around again as an After Christmas or New Years sale. i'm always seeking the rock bottom price for items, and since i knew what it currently was for this item, i posted it, right here conveniently in this thread for others to consider. i didn't even know camelcamelcamel tracked Costco prices. does it, labboypro? and why should that preclude me posting what i paid?

no good deed...

by the way, the drives have been great so far. no problems. i originally bought two of the drives mentioned by the OP, but had not yet opened them and was holding out to see what Black Friday would bring. my patience paid off, and i returned the two, unopened, GoFlex drives. so there, even more information for you to scoff at, but hopefully it will help someone else.

and i'm not a he; that's me in my avatar photo.

~ angie

angeezee said:   labboypro said:   ComeOnNow said:   labboypro said:   angeezee said:   i got two of the backup plus versions on black friday at costco for $99 each after instant rebate.

seriously?

at least others who responded understood why i posted. why would you NOT want to know the recent historical price for an item you are considering buying? i know i sure would. i'm always happy when other fatwalleters post what they paid for an item i'm considering purchasing. i took the time to post the information so the community could make a more informed decision, not to brag. brag about buying hard drives? wouldn't even enter my mind. i additionally included the information that i bought them on Black Friday so people would know it was not an every-day sale, but if someone was not in a rush, they might want to wait and see if the price came around again as an After Christmas or New Years sale. i'm always seeking the rock bottom price for items, and since i knew what it currently was for this item, i posted it, right here conveniently in this thread for others to consider. i didn't even know camelcamelcamel tracked Costco prices. does it, labboypro? and why should that preclude me posting what i paid?

no good deed...

by the way, the drives have been great so far. no problems. i originally bought two of the drives mentioned by the OP, but had not yet opened them and was holding out to see what Black Friday would bring. my patience paid off, and i returned the two, unopened, GoFlex drives. so there, even more information for you to scoff at, but hopefully it will help someone else.

and i'm not a he; that's me in my avatar photo.

~ angie

..........go girl!

CBF12A (80.20kB)
Disclaimer
hotshottechguy said:   What sites other than camelcamelcamel (and it's sister sites) provide you with historical information?

It was in Costco's Black Friday Weekend Booklet; clipped image attached to this comment.

Does the backup plus have the same drive or is it different? I wouldn't mind paying the twenty bucks more if I knew the drive was better.

I know it's an older model but that doesn't always mean the newer version is better. That's why I thought this was a pretty good deal. Also the sticker says that this is a product of Thailand and the backup plus said China, so I was thinking the drive could be better quality.

Thanks, OP! Just nabbed the last one at my store.

Raistlin1 said:   Does the backup plus have the same drive or is it different? I wouldn't mind paying the twenty bucks more if I knew the drive was better.

I know it's an older model but that doesn't always mean the newer version is better. That's why I thought this was a pretty good deal. Also the sticker says that this is a product of Thailand and the backup plus said China, so I was thinking the drive could be better quality.

the sticker on the box my 3TB BackUp Plus came in says STCA3000600. someone on Amazon has some photos posted of the drive inside, but not sure if it is the same exact one. there is a sticker on my drive enclosure that says Model SRD0SD0, but i think that just may be the model # for the enclosure. if you find out any useful information about it, please let me know!

I wanted to get one today at my local Costco but it rang up at $129.99! WTF! $10 MORE than the newer version?!

QuanTum said:   I wanted to get one today at my local Costco but it rang up at $129.99! WTF! $10 MORE than the newer version?!

Very strange, maybe that costco just never updated their system with the .97 closeout pricing.

Raistlin said:   QuanTum said:   I wanted to get one today at my local Costco but it rang up at $129.99! WTF! $10 MORE than the newer version?!

Very strange, maybe that costco just never updated their system with the .97 closeout pricing.

Closeout pricing at Costco Warehouses (B&M) varies by warehouse, partly depending on stock and sell-through/inventory turns at each.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014