• Go to page :
  • 1 2 3
  • Text Only
Not to threadcrap, but I've done some serious research on one of these android sticks and found a person who tested virtually all the devices and found this one to be the best. There is a review on Amazon by the guy.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/iMito-MX1-Android-4-1-Dual-Core-T...

Review:

http://www.amazon.com/iMito-MX1-Bluetooth-Aluminium-Dissipation/...

Would using one of these devices give the same screen quality as hooking up your laptop via HDMI cable to your TV? I was in the market for a laptop that I could hook to my TV to view internet content. Now I see this device, for a lot less money than a laptop. Wonder if this would work as well or better.

miqie said:   Would using one of these devices give the same screen quality as hooking up your laptop via HDMI cable to your TV? I was in the market for a laptop that I could hook to my TV to view internet content. Now I see this device, for a lot less money than a laptop. Wonder if this would work as well or better.

If you want an HD picture you must have HD content.

Getting a refund from an eBay buy is so simple as compared to from the place overseas....

While I don't have this, I do have a similar system (iMito MX1), and I agree with airtime, who said that swiping is cumbersome. Whether you have a touchpad or a regular mouse, the swipe-to-move touch style interface is rather painful to use. Imagine using your web browser with your mouse without a keyboard or scroll bars. To scroll down, you have to move the mouse to the very bottom, then click and hold as you drag the mouse all the way to the top of the screen. Now repeat this motion 5 times to scroll 5 pages. Ugh. Luckily, scroll wheels seem to usually work, but that doesn't help in side-to-side scrolling UIs, like Netflix.

Also, simply not having a traditional remote is a pain. It's a lot easier to quickly hit pause (1 button on the universal remote) with my Roku than it is to grab the mouse, click to bring up the UI, move over to the pause button, and pause...

On the other hand, I like having the wide selection of Android apps available right on my TV.

Spacey said:   While I don't have this, I do have a similar system (iMito MX1), and I agree with airtime, who said that swiping is cumbersome. Whether you have a touchpad or a regular mouse, the swipe-to-move touch style interface is rather painful to use. Imagine using your web browser with your mouse without a keyboard or scroll bars. To scroll down, you have to move the mouse to the very bottom, then click and hold as you drag the mouse all the way to the top of the screen. Now repeat this motion 5 times to scroll 5 pages. Ugh. Luckily, scroll wheels seem to usually work, but that doesn't help in side-to-side scrolling UIs, like Netflix.

Also, simply not having a traditional remote is a pain. It's a lot easier to quickly hit pause (1 button on the universal remote) with my Roku than it is to grab the mouse, click to bring up the UI, move over to the pause button, and pause...

On the other hand, I like having the wide selection of Android apps available right on my TV.

Agreed. that's why for anyone getting one of these I would recommend highly the Logitech keyboard touchpad option. It has all the media functions on the keyboard like play/pause, forward, reverse, volume +/- (which is great) as well as mute. The up/down/right/left arrows helps in navigation of webpages, as well as the page up/down. Basically, look at your keyboard now and it will most of those functions on the Logitech. The other good shortcut key is the HOME button. Great when you are in various apps and wants to go back to the home desktop.

odys99 said:   

Sk8terboy said:   I'm confused about what this actually does. Does it turn your old tube-type TV basically into an Android tablet/smartphone interface, allowing viewing TV channels via internet? Or what exactly?

It plugs into your TV or receiver by an HDMI port and then it is a wireless PC attached to your TV as the monitor. Anything an Android tablet can do can now be done on your TV, minus the touchscreen that is.

Why is this better than just getting an Android tablet for just a bit more money?

not bad for $50 since i paid more for mine. don't bother running xbmc, it works like helen keller trying to finish a marathon. it can be done but you have to have a strong stomach to watch it !

If you don't have wifi issues and have an android phone i would get DroidMote Server for $2.58 from Android Market on the UG808 and install the Free DroidMote Client on Android Phone/Tablet and use that as a remote. Or if you have the Rikomgic MK802 III update the firmware as it has a similar program included as shown in the video on liliputing Here

I have this stick already for 2 months.

1) Search google for "mk808 1.5a Finless" for a better OS image, it fixes many bugs
2) Resolution to 1080 will be fixed in a month or two, keep checking for a new image

good price, in for one

Version with bluetooth is $7 more. Same website. MK808B
http://www.in4dealz.com/deals/MK808B-Dual-Core-Android-4-1-Jelly...

Bought the same one from same seller last time for $52. Got it within 2 weeks. Wifi is a problem, and the MK808 1.5a Finless is said to fix it but not completely. I have yet to install that rom since I have mine sitting next to the hotspot so it works fine. I had the hotspot ~15 feet away and signal was getting pretty bad.

I just got the Logitech K400 from Office Depot yesterday for ~$20 and that works well. I also have the Lenovo Mini Wireless Keyboard N5901 and that works with it also. Oh and my Microsoft Lifecam VX-5000 works perfect with this and I can use Skype with it. Installed XBMC last night and working well, watching a movie as I type this.

Overall pretty satisfied given the price. Hopefully future updates will fix the wifi.

I second and third that the wifi on mk808 is pretty bad and buying from geekbuy is even worse

I've always had good luck with DealExtreme, they have the MK808 HERE for $53.40

StinkPot said:   I have the MK802 and the plus versions. Though both held a lot of promise, the present state of technology is not good enough to make these hardy enough even to browse the net without hiccups. And about these sellers from Mainland China the less said the better. You might get the product shipped to you but everything ends there. Returns or refunds is an unknown thing for them. Guarantees of any sort is a thing just in print to boost their sales. Though I am tempted once again with the double antenna(the MK802 and plus version have problems in accessing signals) nd with the heat sink, I would wait till these portable gadgets become more sturdy. The low cost means nothing if the gadgets do not work well. Having said that, movies etc played from a flash drive do exceptionally well,but recommendations are to put a fan to keep the gadgets cool.

I solved some of the problems you outlined as follows (with my MK802):
- Purchased a cheap USB-to-LAN adapter to eliminate wireless connectivity issues. Not everyone can go with this option, but I happened to have CAT5 close to where my TV is mounted
- Purchased a powered USB hub
- Loaded Uberoid image (which is much cleaner and stable)
- Added a wireless keyboard/mouse
- Added a Logitech USB camera with mic and placed it on top of the mounted LCD so that we could Skype

After doing all of these mods and adding these accessories, i would say this is one of the best purchases I've ever made. I used to run a HTPC before (with Atom based processor and MythTV as the software), and this is far more wife friendly than that. MythTV always had problems with FlashPlayer + YouTube combo, and this product solves that by having a native YouTube app. Additionally, i have all my videos centralized on a NAS, and wife/kids view those as well (via ES Explorer + MX player combo).

Next accessory I'm eying at adding is a fly mouse so that my kid could play fruit ninja on the big screen (nintendo wii style).

In short, this has been a great replacement for my HTPC.

BigDave said:   I've always had good luck with DealExtreme, they have the MK808 HERE for $53.40I was also DE customer for a while. Early this year I was trying to buy a Car DVR from them, they have two identical units posted in different prices ($60+ and $80+ in different item numbers). After they took my payment on the lower priced one, they told me it's out of stock and wanted me to buy the high priced one with additional payment. They did refund my payment after my refusal. From the very beginning to three months (I checked back) after the incident they never changed the status to "out of stock" for the low priced posting.

I bought the UG802 from gadgetgreats.com for ~$63 shipped from this deal. a couple of months ago. It took almost 4 weeks to get the item shipped, but it's been working mostly fine for me. I use it with a Logitech MK320 wireless kb+mouse (~$20).

Pros:
- Downloaded Netflix apk using the browser and installed it; works fine
- flash, youtube work fine
- Absolutely NO wifi issues
- Can access NAS shares from my LAN using ES File Explorer

Cons:
- Mine is not rooted, and the device reports itself as in China Mobile region; which restricts me from installing some apps from Google Play store (such as Netflix)
- sync issue between audio and video, but tolerable

what about nick jr and other kids sites like sprout can you play games on those sites with something like this.

Agree with the previous posts. My MK808 purchase last month from in4dealz is a DOA brick. No response to emails.

gard said:   
Cons:
- Mine is not rooted, and the device reports itself as in China Mobile region; which restricts me from installing some apps from Google Play store (such as Netflix)

Can you use apps from the Amazon app market or NRK at 1Mobile?

If you have another android device. Install File Expert from the Google Play store. Then use File Expert to back up the app you need. File Expert backs up the apps by creating a fully functional copy of the app in a backup folder. Copy your app onto a usb drive or share it via dropbox, and install it tapping on it.

I have had no problems with the 808 thinking its in china??? I downloaded Netflix directly from the play store.

Geekbuying.com has it for $52 currently in case anyone is interested.
Link

I got this keyboard for $20 on here a few months ago
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1104899/

Since this has Jellybean, is there any way to hook up a mic and use Google Now?

My TV does not have an HDMI input. How would you hook it up? adapter of some sort?

Sorry, I meant a mic to use the new Google Search - search for things by voice - like - "google, how tall is the empire state building?"

uh.......why would you be interested in this thing if you do not even have hdmi on your TV? you are a whole decade behind civilization

Chazwel said:   My TV does not have an HDMI input. How would you hook it up? adapter of some sort?

I bought the mk808 a couple of weeks ago. Works great as android device..love it but I want to interface it with my directv service. Not having any luck with Google TV. Any sugestions?

I bought the mk808 a couple of weeks ago. Works great as android device..love it but I want to interface it with my directv service. Not having any luck with Google TV. Any sugestions?

When did you buy the mk808?

I'm betting a couple of weeks ago.

coolbreeze said:   When did you buy the mk808?

I'm betting a couple of weeks ago.

Yeah? How do you suppose he likes it? Any luck with Google TV?

we another rk3066 dual core model at 36.50USD.

Where?

andy1807 said:   we another rk3066 dual core model at 36.50USD.

Where?

I had purchased on of these or similar units and the wifi is essential worthless just like the UG802 sticks, so it doesn't work well at all.

Pardon my naivety. So can you play Angry Birds on TV with the Air Mouse and this plugged in ? My question is - is it any good for the games ?

listerfiend said:   andy1807 said:   we another rk3066 dual core model at 36.50USD.

Where?

Some fake eBay seller.

Are you saying MX1 is better? Look at the top 2 reviews in your link. The quality is bad on MX1.

jesoon said:   Not to threadcrap, but I've done some serious research on one of these android sticks and found a person who tested virtually all the devices and found this one to be the best. There is a review on Amazon by the guy.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/iMito-MX1-Android-4-1-Dual-Core-T...

Review:

http://www.amazon.com/iMito-MX1-Bluetooth-Aluminium-Dissipation/...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014