• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Scotch
Disclaimer
Seen a few threads over at SD but haven't seen anything here yet. This is from Kirkland's seasonal private label. There were a lot of bottles left at the Costco in Burbank last night but on SD people have been reporting that these have been flying off the shelves as most only see a few bottles left or have picked up the last few bottles at their local Costco. I got a bottle last night and for the price this was really good scotch.

Costco Item Number 650728

Member Summary

scotch
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Do you know who makes it?

VirginiaDC said:   Do you know who makes it?

Apparently Alexander Murray & Co.

The bottle I purchased says Speyside.

Speyside is a type of scotch, not brand. The 17 or 18 year from a couple of years ago said Alexander Murray Co. and also said Macallan so I expect them to be on in the same. In addition, I compared it to some Macallan 15 year that I have and it tastes very similar.

Zetroc said:   The bottle I purchased says Speyside.
Speyside is a region that produces over 50% of Scotch whisky. It's not much of an indication. The variety of distilleries and process is huge.

this stuff is excellent. I think it's off label Macallan.

They also have 12 YR Macallan which is apparently sherry cask only. The 20 YR Kirkland is sherry cask finished. I got both but haven't tried yet.

Just had some of this a week ago. Very smooth scotch, highly recommended for the price. Always sells out quickly here. Make sure to grab an extra bottle or two, if you are a scotch drinker, you'll want more later.

Is there really a difference or is that just semantic?

In any case, I've tried the 12 yr Macallan plenty and I'd buy this one again.

Yes, sherry cask scotch is quite different from bourbon cask.

klamen said:   Just had some of this a week ago. Very smooth scotch, highly recommended for the price. Always sells out quickly here. Make sure to grab an extra bottle or two, if you are a scotch drinker, you'll want more later.

But if everyone grabs an extra bottle or two then they contribute to the problem. If the people who grab an extra bottle or two get there before I do, then I will get none because they followed your advice and took more than they needed thereby depriving me of my smooth scotch.
Also, how can we be absolutely sure that this is 20 years old? What proof do we have? I imagine if I had a big room full of these barrels of scotch for say 18 years and I needed a little extra scratch for this or that, I might be tempted to just round up and say "yea, they are 20 years old". Who would know? No one could say for sure that it was a rouse. I do not buy it, i will not be fooled in this manner!!

if you don't 'buy it', then others picking up >1 bottle should not be a problem debbie.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014