23andme genetic test $99

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Don't know if this is hot but looks like 23andme have pushed down the test to $99.

I always said if it went under $100 I would jump in - splash

Link
Thanks

Effective immediately, 23andMe now costs only $99.

We know how important your 23andMe results can be in empowering you to make informed health decisions and learn more about your ancestry. This new low price will enable your family and friends to enjoy the same discoveries.

This price cut is a key part of our drive to grow the 23andMe member base to one million people. This will power research and medical breakthroughs and allow all of us together to revolutionize health care and help people live longer, healthier lives.

Tell your family and friends to purchase now so they can be part of this one million person challenge.

Member Summary

DNA!
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer

Logo
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Paul, thanks for pointing out your review - it was much more detailed than I had expected it to be when I first clicked ... (more)

NantucketSunrise (Mar. 14, 2013 @ 2:44p) |

What if you do the test and then there is a knock on your door a few weeks later. You open to find some guys in suits, ... (more)

slounge (Mar. 14, 2013 @ 4:27p) |

"We're from the goverment & here to help. Please come with us" LOL!

flylo (Mar. 14, 2013 @ 4:37p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Personal genomics: the importance of sequencing

23andMe can probably identify around 250 thousand of these differences (less if you’re not of Western European descent). New genotyping technologies, combined with statistical techniques like genotype imputation, can look at several million SNPs; these techniques may allow (more expensive) genotyping to find around half of your 3 million variations; even all bells-and-whistles genotyping is going to miss most of the data out there.

Of course, single-base mutations are not the only source of variation; neither are they the most interesting. Other types of variation are even less likely to be covered by genotyping. Each individual will have around 800,000 small insertions or deletions of DNA (called indels), very few of which are well covered by genotyping chips. Then there are the larger, potentially very interesting structural variants; thousands of bases or more that have been deleted, inserted, moved around or inverted; each individual will have a few thousand of these, and looking at them in the sort of detail required to figure out exactly what change has occured is virtually impossible with chips.

When you send your DNA for sequencing, you get the chance to see a massive chunk of all of these variations. Craig Venter’s super-high quality genome sequence (costing a crazy £45 million on first generation technology) found basically all variation in his genome, including 3.2 million SNPs, 900,000 indels and a range of other things. When Life Technologies sequenced a single African individual using low-cost second-generation sequencing, they found 3.8 million single-base variations, 230 thousand small indels, 565 large insertions or deletions, 91 inversions and a couple of crazier things, like gene fusions and complex rearrangements. The cost of this sort of analysis is currently massive compared to genotyping, but when you are done, you have captured a big proportion of the variations in your own genome.

This is a very good deal.Also as per the FAQ on their website they anticipate this price to stay for a few months.

The $64,000 question is do I Want to know how screwed up my genetics are?

Send one to your mom to make sure you are not adopted

send in some monkey saliva

This result is matched/referenced from a database. A real test costs at least $2000.

But Im going to wait until Google gives this away for free ; When they stop serving up useless ads for crap I just bought, then Ill get a coffin from Costco.

nsdp said:   The $64,000 question is do I Want to know how screwed up my genetics are?
Yes, you do, so that way you know and understand, why is that you have such screwed up kids. (just kidding, but not)
This will help you enpower your self and your family just in case some of your off springs have an unusual dissorder that you don't understand.
This could give you the answer.

If you want to do this for fun, go for it.
If you're of western european decent and want to learn more about your ancestry, go for it.

Otherwise, don't bother. 23andMe intentionally stays away from many of the clinically relevant/actionable diseases to avoid FDA regulation as a "medical device". It is very unlikely that you'll learn something valuable related to your health from a 23andme test that you didn't know already.

webmerch11 said:   This result is matched/referenced from a database. A real test costs at least $2000.

It's a simple genotyping, not a full on genetic sequencing. They have never claimed to be...

In for one for my mother for Christmas. She loves this stuff and will get a kick out of it.

Also note that there's a $9.95 shipping fee, which covers them shipping the kit to you AND you shipping it back to them for testing.

ElGuache said:   nsdp said:   The $64,000 question is do I Want to know how screwed up my genetics are?
Yes, you do, so that way you know and understand, why is that you have such screwed up kids. (just kidding, but not)
This will help you enpower your self and your family just in case some of your off springs have an unusual dissorder that you don't understand.

Maybe, but wouldn't it be better to wait until said occurrence? I'm confident a similarly-priced test will be able to provide more meaningful results overt the years.

Useful tip: If your results come back with a big sticker that reads "Whatever you do, DO NOT, we repeat, DO NOT ever have children!" you can pretty much stop reading and guess your results from there.

Sonofspam said:   Useful tip: If your results come back with a big sticker that reads "Whatever you do, DO NOT, we repeat, DO NOT ever have children!" you can pretty much stop reading and guess your results from there.

That would be about half the population that shouldn't have children.

Thanks, junkdealer! I'm adopted, and know little to nothing about my lineage and family medical history, so whatever I can find out is a pretty exciting. Hopefully the price will hold out until after Christmas when I can afford to buy it.

OVERSTOOD said:   Thanks, junkdealer! I'm adopted, and know little to nothing about my lineage and family medical history, so whatever I can find out is a pretty exciting. Hopefully the price will hold out until after Christmas when I can afford to buy it.

the dog breed tests have mixed reviews on Amazon

Thanks OP,
Just saw this last night, and was meaning to post it.
This is probably goin gto be the oddset present my Sister gets for her wedding
cheers

Is the updated price permanent?

23andMe
posted this on Dec 10 11:18 pm

This new $99 price is not a sale, nor is it a price guarantee. The price decrease is an important component of our effort to reach one million customers, and so we expect to retain the $99 price point for some time. However, as we’ve always stated, we continue to evaluate optimal pricing strategies and we may adjust pricing in the future.

germanpope said:   OVERSTOOD said:   Thanks, junkdealer! I'm adopted, and know little to nothing about my lineage and family medical history, so whatever I can find out is a pretty exciting. Hopefully the price will hold out until after Christmas when I can afford to buy it.

the dog breed tests have mixed reviews on Amazon

Ha! Not quite sure how I'm supposed to take that, germanpope. Woof!

In. This looks really cool.

Thanks OP.

I had this done several years ago for about the same price. I'm very happy with the reports and they're continually updated. And my kids are clearly my kids.

I will say the ancestory stuff is pretty worthless to me. It can only bundle people into European, African, or Asian. For most people that's not a mystery.

namlook said:   Sonofspam said:   Useful tip: If your results come back with a big sticker that reads "Whatever you do, DO NOT, we repeat, DO NOT ever have children!" you can pretty much stop reading and guess your results from there.

That would be about half the population that shouldn't have children.
Half???
You are too kind!

I got the email announcing this, since I got in on this during the $99 sale of a couple of years ago. It was worth the $99. I think I'll have more family members get in on it.

Anyone have a sample screenshot of results? I'm jumping around website and not really hitting anything substantial.

Does anyone know if FSA dollars can be used for this purchase?

thrunner said:   Personal genomics: the importance of sequencing...You should include a credit or a link to the source, otherwise, it's called plagiarism.

CELO said:   Is the updated price permanent?

23andMe
posted this on Dec 10 11:18 pm

This new $99 price is not a sale, nor is it a price guarantee. The price decrease is an important component of our effort to reach one million customers, and so we expect to retain the $99 price point for some time. However, as we’ve always stated, we continue to evaluate optimal pricing strategies and we may adjust pricing in the future.
I saw yesterday that 23andme just got a big financial backer yesterday ($50M cash infusion) so my guess is that this is related to that. 1M might be a tall order though and they might need to drop their prices a bit more. In the several years this company has existed, they've only genotyped 150k~200k individuals, including all those heavily discounted for grad/med students and free tests they've given out to friends/families/at vendor shows.

cyfan said:   I had this done several years ago for about the same price. I'm very happy with the reports and they're continually updated. And my kids are clearly my kids.

I will say the ancestory stuff is pretty worthless to me. It can only bundle people into European, African, or Asian. For most people that's not a mystery.
Well, it also now tells you your percent neanderthal. If you have a bioinformatician friend, you can have them do a principal component analysis (PCA) with the human genome diversity panel (HGDP) data to get a more detailed ancestry information. (eg. http://bga101.blogspot.com/2011/05/french-basques-and-sardinians... The data to do this is there, just 23andMe doesn't do it for you.

isjka said:   Does anyone know if FSA dollars can be used for this purchase? I don't know for sure, but I'm fairly sure the answer is no. As I stated earlier in this thread, 23andme intentionally avoids medically relevant genetic markers to avoid having to have their product be classified and regulated as a "medical device". I read recently they recently applied for it with the FDA, so it may change in the future.

Now you can find out if you are related to the milkman/mailman/UPSman/FedExman!

kingaroonie said:   Anyone have a sample screenshot of results? I'm jumping around website and not really hitting anything substantial.
Here is a reveiw made a while back and I think it is still relevant: http://paulstamatiou.com/review-23andme-dna-testing-for-health-d...

ElGuache said:   nsdp said:   The $64,000 question is do I Want to know how screwed up my genetics are?

I'm guessing that your test would reveal you are missing some key genes required in order to be able to construct a sentence.

Chris.

For those who ordered, I ordered on December 11th using the cheapest shipping option and my kit still isn't here yet. Tracking makes it look like it will probably get here tomorrow, but you know how USPS is this time of year. Maybe I should have ponied up for slightly faster shipping. I didn't think it would take eleven days to get here.....

verni said:   kingaroonie said:   Anyone have a sample screenshot of results? I'm jumping around website and not really hitting anything substantial.
Here is a reveiw made a while back and I think it is still relevant: http://paulstamatiou.com/review-23andme-dna-testing-for-health-d...

Paul, thanks for pointing out your review - it was much more detailed than I had expected it to be when I first clicked on the link (because I had already checked out a few bloggers' reviews of 23andme and some of them were only a few paragraphs long).

This seems to be a pretty good deal for $99.

I have read that the cost of the test will be $99 for the foreseeable future because they are trying to get a million people on their database by the end of 2013.

I am a bit unsettled by the fact that the company is run and owned by the Google-guy Sergey Brin's wife, and has received investment funding from Brin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23andme

Google isn't exactly the most disinterested party when it comes to collecting and using people's personal data. This 23andme personal data is REALLY personal, and who knows how it might be used or leaked or hacked in the future. I suppose that one day this stuff will just be a routine part of a person's medical and insurance records, which are also hardly private in our society.

What if you do the test and then there is a knock on your door a few weeks later. You open to find some guys in suits, sunglasses and a couple of large SUV's saying..."please come with me..."

"We're from the goverment & here to help. Please come with us" LOL!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014