• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Redbox.com | Free 1 month of unlimited movie streaming + 4 1-day DVD rentals

New feature from Redbox:
Have you heard the big news? Sign up for a free trial, and you’ll get a month of unlimited movie streaming + 4 1-day DVD rentals

http://www.redbox.com/instant?cid=soc:fb:instant:12:12:2012

sjsfan op

Member Summary

redbox
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I got an email invite the same day I requested one (last week). The 4 free DVD rentals were nice, but the selection of ... (more)

barreg (Feb. 19, 2013 @ 12:45p) |

Anyone know how to get the credits for the 4 free movies? When I try to add a movie to the cart, it is asking for payme... (more)

wiseguy1100 (Feb. 22, 2013 @ 4:14p) |

If Amazon Prime EVER includes new releases with membership...game over! Best of both worlds. Do not pay anymore for a ... (more)

LocalMotion (Feb. 22, 2013 @ 4:36p) |

This was the word 2 days ago

Content Costs Causing Redbox Instant Launch Delay?
Posted by Shane Smith on Dec 10, 2012 under news

The highly anticipated streaming venture from Redbox and Verizon was about to launch, and then it wasn’t. There’s been a lot of speculation about what might be causing the service’s launch delay, with some fingers pointing at content acquisition costs.

BTIG Research analyst Richard Greenfield referenced Netflix, which is very familiar with escalating content costs, when opining about the Redbox Instant delay. Said Greenfield:

Netflix raises the bar from a long-term competitive content aspect to all new levels — levels we doubt Verizon and Redbox have the ‘stomach’ to compete with them at cost-wise,”

The joint Redbox/Verizon streaming venture has a different content acquisition structure from Netflix, and will acquire content rights based on subscriber numbers. Coinstar CEO Paul Davis was effusive about the acquisition structure, which is very different from that of Netflix:

“It’s a win-win as we control costs and the studios enjoy the upside as we gain with subscribers,”

B. Riley & Co. analyst Eric Wold thinks that it’s the logistics of blending digital and physical distribution that are holding back the Redbox Instant launch, not content issues. Said Wold:

“My understanding on the delay is more due to ensuring the platform is robust . . . I think it will be a good test for the space. If Redbox Instant is going to be a major player, I don’t think content owners would want to get shut out or lose out on upside like the original Starz deal with Netflix.”

Regardless of the reasons, the year is nearly over and Redbox Instant is nowhere to be seen. Are you frustrated by this delay? Hopeful that Redbox and Verizon might be taking extra time to work out the bugs?

Now today we get this.

Redbox Instant Launching in Beta This Month
Posted by Shane Smith on Dec 12, 2012 under news

Great news for Redbox fans who have been anxiously awaiting the company’s streaming service. Redbox and Verizon announced today that their joint venture, Redbox Instant by Verizon, will be launching in beta testing this month. 30 free days of service will be included with subscriptions.

The service will cost $8 per month, which is not coincidentally what a Netflix streaming subscription costs. A subscription includes unlimited streaming and four one-night DVD rentals from any Redbox kiosk. For $1 more per month, customers can have the option to use their rental credits on Blu-ray films.

Shawn Strickland, CEO of Redbox Instant by Verizon, said the following in a statement:

“We are building a compelling entertainment choice through our ability to support both physical and digital distribution of movies that people love, made possible by the depth of relationships we’ve established with top Hollywood studios and distribution partners,”

Redbox Instant will include titles from Epix, which means films such as Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol and The Hunger Games will be available for viewing after a 90-day pay-TV window.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Butcherboy, do the 1-Day DVD rentals have an expiration on them? I don't stream (unless I'm camping lol).

TYT

they don't want to give much info on this beta, but i found this:
http://money.cnn.com/2012/12/12/technology/redbox-instant-price/...

So, free with subscription. So once it is up and running we get one month free but assuming we will need to input cc info and make sure to cancel after a month. If we choose to keep it is 8.00 or 9.00 a month depending on program.

This is what I am assuming.

Try it free for one month with subscription? As in, it's more of a buy a month, get a month sort of deal?

I bet in one month you can see all the movies they will offer:

1) Choice will be limited
2) Movies will be the really cheap ones, not latest hits
3) Doubt there will be value to stay another month

sherryillk said:   Try it free for one month with subscription? As in, it's more of a buy a month, get a month sort of deal?

Only if you cancel after the first 2 months.

BlueLetterD said:   I bet in one month you can see all the movies they will offer:

And you know all this HOW?!

I'm in. Thanks OP.

BlueLetterD said:   I bet in one month you can see all the movies they will offer:

Well, you can bet all you want. Official word is Redbox Instant will differentiate themselves from Netflix and Hulu by featuring more high-profile titles than Netflix. Warner Bros. and EPIX (Paramount, Lionsgate, and MGM) have agreed to distribute their movies 90 days after they premiere in the traditional premium window. On a business model budget, they will be able to afford this by focusing entirely on movies without any TV shows.

Source: http://www.deadline.com/2012/12/redbox-instant-subscriptions-will-cost-8-a-month-and-include-epix-content/

timothyingram said:   BlueLetterD said:   I bet in one month you can see all the movies they will offer:

Well, you can bet all you want. Official word is Redbox Instant will differentiate themselves from Netflix and Hulu by featuring more high-profile titles than Netflix. Warner Bros. and EPIX (Paramount, Lionsgate, and MGM) have agreed to distribute their movies 90 days after they premiere in the traditional premium window. On a business model budget, they will be able to afford this by focusing entirely on movies without any TV shows.

Source: http://www.deadline.com/2012/12/redbox-instant-subscriptions-wil...
I'm guessing some of the folks here didn't read the CNNMoney article linked above, or they would have known about the Epix content and the 90-day availability, making the Redbox streaming big news indeed. At least for me. Right now with Netflix and Amazon Prime I can see a lot of movies and TV shows, but it would be nice to have the chance to see new release movies just 90 days after they hit theaters. And Epix has some big name production houses in their stable.

I'm guessing, like almost all articles to do with technology (whats wrong with journalism these days?), some of them are getting things very wrong. The Deadline article says this, which I believe to be accurate:

"But Redbox Instant says its new deal with EPIX will enable it to offer Paramount, Lionsgate, and MGM movies 90 days after they appear on EPIX’s pay TV channel."

That's 90 days after they appear on EPIX TV, which is way after DVD release, which is way after theater release.

All of these streaming services will be great to watch movies from the 80's like "Ghostbusters". Ohh, well actually less popular movies from the 80's. Like maybe "Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo".

The 4 free rentals that are included are not free if you return the movie late. Netflix is still easier for me for returning. But everyone is different.

I think there biggest hurdle is tha Netflix has their app on so many set top boxes, that Redbox will be playing catch up. I can watch Netflix on Roku, Apple TV, all my BluRay players etc.

At launch, Redbox Instant will be available through traditional web browsers, tablets and phones that run on Apple's (AAPL, Fortune 500) iOS or Google's (GOOG, Fortune 500) Android, as well as a few Blu-ray players and smart TVs.

Thanks OP.

Is this going to have a easy cancellation, like click and cancelled or one needs to call customer support? Thanks!

So it might be very similar to Netflix?

upengan78 said:   Thanks OP.

Is this going to have a easy cancellation, like click and cancelled or one needs to call customer support? Thanks!

You probably will have to call them to find that out.

Hope they BRING the CLOSED CAPTIONING TOO!

EPIX Movies wasn't captioned on their website, lets hope they learn quickly.

catalog of 5000+ movies
Netflix has over 60,000 but b-grade, kids, documentary, LGBT, foreign, not much of mainstream.

FrugalFreak said:   BlueLetterD said:   I bet in one month you can see all the movies they will offer:

catalog of 5000+ movies
Netflix has over 60,000 but b-grade, kids, documentary, LGBT, foreign, not much of mainstream.

Actually there's been more and more "mainstream" stuff put on NF Streaming in the past few months (but who wants to watch that junk?). That said, one of the main reasons I CHOSE to go with NF was because of the diversity of their offerrings. If I want to see a mainstream movie I'll just go to the theater (or borrow from my public library). It's when I want to watch something interesting/informative/classic/independent (which happens to be most of the time)that I'll always choose NF.

I will jump on this service when Verizon adds an app to their set top boxes for Fios customers that allow streaming of Redbox through the cable box. Otherwise, I'm not going to watch movies on my computer and I'm not going to buy new devices for each TV in the house.

Could a Redbox app be installed on current Bluray players through a firmware update? If so, that could happen in the coming months and bring thousands (if not millions) of Bluray players current with Netflix ease of streaming to your HDTV.

WHEN DOES THIS GO LIVE ?

Hmm. . .yeah, I'm not very happy with Netflix lately. I would give this a go if I knew more details. How many devices can stream at once? The only two from Netflix is a problem for us sometimes. And then, of course, what devices are going to be able to stream.

Hey Netflix, the 1980s called. They want all their movies and TV shows back.

Notice the one catagory Netflix doesn't have is "Movies Released in the Last 5 Years"? That's because they don't have any.

I will only jump on this if it streams to the wii.

YankeeRedneck said:   I will only jump on this if it streams to the wii.
We had some luck streaming Netflix through our Wii using DSL with a miserable speed of approx. 800kps.
Most of the time the movies would stop and Retrieve several times or until we gave up and watched a DVD.
Had a free Roku HD (from the DISH/AMC debacle) sitting on a shelf and decided to give it a try.
The difference was amazing. Simple hook-up, nice menu and the SD picture on Netflix and Amazon is much better, i.e watchable, and the movies play without buffering/retrieving.
Our new Vizio smart TV also is much better than Wii streaming.
The Roku was well worth the $0 we paid, Thanks DISH!

robby69 said:   I think there biggest hurdle is tha Netflix has their app on so many set top boxes, that Redbox will be playing catch up. I can watch Netflix on Roku, Apple TV, all my BluRay players etc.

At launch, Redbox Instant will be available through traditional web browsers, tablets and phones that run on Apple's (AAPL, Fortune 500) iOS or Google's (GOOG, Fortune 500) Android, as well as a few Blu-ray players and smart TVs.

and I cannot imagine watching a feature movie on my Galaxy (droid) or PC. If they roll it out to my Sony BR players, Wii, etc. I can see buying in.

Sonofspam said:   Could a Redbox app be installed on current Bluray players through a firmware update? If so, that could happen in the coming months and bring thousands (if not millions) of Bluray players current with Netflix ease of streaming to your HDTV.

If they can work with Sony, they could roll out easily to all the networked players of that brand quickly. Sony seems to update their software on a regular basis, so adding in one more thing could be done if their was an incentive to do so (read that: RB bribes Sony.)

As for other brands, seems like it should be doable with updates as well.

I've been in line awhile, no email from them.

A few days ago, I got a free movie code, and they said soon for more info.

For free, I will give it a spin, as long as it will function on Vizio smartv, or Sony bluray player. Other then that, no thanks

no word yet on gaming consoles such as wii?

I'm on my second month of membership with Redbox (first month paying).
The service has promise, but don't count on dropping your Netflix membership, at least not right away. The Redbox streaming content is still pretty weak. For now I'm considering it a supplement to Netflix, not a replacement.

The titles for streaming are all older movies, and there are a lot fewer to choose from than with Netflix. And there are no tv shows. Apparently from what I understand, they aren't interested in acquiring tv shows.
There's a reason they are giving the 4 kiosk credits per month - that's your access to newer titles. And honestly I like the kiosk credits. I use them. But yes it would be nice to have some newer titles to stream. Keep in mind that unlike with coupons, you can't apply a DVD credit towards a blu ray rental. A DVD credit will take $0.00 off the price of your blu ray rental both online and at the kiosk.

They are expanding the platforms the service is compatible with - slowly. I think the service is compatible with Xbox 360s, but that's about it for gaming consoles. The movies stream well, no buffering issues. But then again, I have really fast internet.

I got an email invite the same day I requested one (last week). The 4 free DVD rentals were nice, but the selection of streaming movies is atrocious. Will definitely be cancelling before my free month is up.

Anyone know how to get the credits for the 4 free movies? When I try to add a movie to the cart, it is asking for payment information adn it says "0 credits remaining".

If Amazon Prime EVER includes new releases with membership...game over! Best of both worlds. Do not pay anymore for a monthly membership as nothing I desire to watch IMO.

I just get free new releases though Redbox locations though limited and not always timely. Well, not free because I sometimes do not return the disk(s) the next day...too busy. Do not desire Blockbuster or Netflix's DVD rental anymore as basically the same as instant viewing, not enough worth while new content to warrant the cost.

P.S. Got my 4 free credits and 1 month free.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014