• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Staples Now Has the Surface!!!

Staples Product

For those who have Staples rewards to spend (Gift Cards from Visa Gift Cards) etc, and you want a Surface this is a nice option.

For example I have $400 in Office Depot gift cards and would love for them to carry Apple products.

So while not "hot" because of pricing it is hot because if you have Staples money to spend and want a Surface then this is good!!!

Staples
See Staples coupons that earn Up to 2.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Surface Windows RT Tablet, 32GB
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I am going to green this because of so much value added off topic discussion it started!

fokatkamaal (Dec. 16, 2012 @ 11:41a) |

Hmm...another one of those iSheep I see. Comparing Macbook Air and the Surface...lets see

Surface:
1. has touch screen cap... (more)

thefrozentin (Dec. 28, 2012 @ 2:31p) |

I have $500 of OD money to spend....why don't they carry the dang surface!!!

Anybody out there who owns the surface care ... (more)

PhoenixMan (Dec. 28, 2012 @ 2:42p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

It's interesting to see Surface's showing up at retailers aside from the MSstore, for sure.... but this might be more appropriate for Deal Discussion than Hot Deals

I hate to be the one that takes this thread off topic, but as someone who dropped $650 on a Surface RT, keyboard and case, I recommend against buying this. Gorgeous hardware, but Windows RT apps are too limited. No chrome, many flash based sites are blocked. Invest in a "real" Windows 8 tablet instead. There are several around the same price as this one, and you'll have much more fun with that.

scoobydooby said:   I hate to be the one that takes this thread off topic, but as someone who dropped $650 on a Surface RT, keyboard and case, I recommend against buying this. Gorgeous hardware, but Windows RT apps are too limited. No chrome, many flash based sites are blocked. Invest in a "real" Windows 8 tablet instead. There are several around the same price as this one, and you'll have much more fun with that.
I expect to see the Surface RT rev1 hardware that's out on retailers' shelves now to sell for < 30 cents on the dollar within 12 months.

I suspect we'll see these RT Tablets closed out at rock bottom prices by this time next year, as the RT goes the way of the Zune. Sorry. I won't give red on the deal though - it is only my opinion of the product.

Uh,

Another MSFT hardware folly...

History of Microsoft’s Hardware Misadventures Garbage Bins.

1. Talking Teletubbies, Barney, Arthur, DW – Hard to believe but MSFT ventured into interactive stuffed animal market in the late 90’s. Stories abound with MSFT test labs haunted by these dolls especially creepy Barney talking away during reliability testing. Also came with software and peripheral to connect it to PC.

2. LCD Touch screen remote (with Harman Kardon) – Chalk it up to another exorbitantly priced late 90’s hardware remote control developed with Harman with touch screen LCD. Bulky. Guess who’s the top dog in remote? Logitech via purchase of Harmony remote.

3. PC speaker (with Philips) – It was actually very good speakers but like the Harman remote exorbitantly priced late 90’s hardware. Guess who’s the top dog in PC speakers? Logitech via purchase of Labtec.

4. 900 GHz Wireless phone – Yes it was for home use and hooked to Win 95/98 PC to access the voice mail function. It was OK phone but another exorbitantly priced late 90’s hardware.

5. Sidewinder game pads, joysticks and wheels – Pulled out of market in 2002. Logitech’s Wingman is still on the market.

6. Wifi router, USB and PCI cards – Pulled out of market in 2003 as could not compete. Besides it was rebadged SMC products.

7. Webcam – Almost launched it in 2000 but killed it before mass production began. Black model had built-in microphone and white only had camera. MSFT re-entered the market few year ago well after Logitech and Creative dominated the market. Guess who’s the top dog in Webcam? Logitech of course.

8. Photoviwer with floppy disk – Launched in 2002 with a floppy drive! Transfer digital photos to 2.5” floppy and view it on TV via standalone hardware with remote.

9. Zune – RIP. 1st version was rebadged Toshiba Gigabit. Actually a decent hardware but the Ipod wanna be’s music download service went down with it. This is the 1st time tried to compete with Apple and LOST.

10. Soon RIP is the Tablet Surface as the XP tablet laptop was a failure when it came out 10 yrs ago. Now MSFT is pissing off the PC hardware customers by charging them $70 for the Win 8 OS when Android is FREE not to mention direct competition. Just shows how desperate MSFT is as the real enemy was not GOOG afterall but old nemesis AAPL.

tlwisner said:   I suspect we'll see these RT Tablets closed out at rock bottom prices by this time next year, as the RT goes the way of the Zune. Sorry. I won't give red on the deal though - it is only my opinion of the product.

I would tend to agree except that I think MSFT will find a way to make these stick around by adding some type of value if they need to (lots of free cloud storage? free apps? etc), I don't think they will throw in the towel as fast as HP Did.

BPH789 said:   Uh,

Another MSFT hardware folly...

History of Microsoft’s Hardware Misadventures Garbage Bins.

Well, that same logic can be applied to every tech company. Apple has a long list of failed products, as do Sony and Philips. For all the failed products, they at least have one thing in common - they also have successful products.

Microsoft could be throwing this under the bus before it even gets started. Businesses want Excel and Word on their iPads.

"It's still not official, but the evidence that Microsoft is bringing Office to the iPad and iPhone is growing in abundance. At this point, it seems to be an inevitability that Redmond will release Office apps for iOS in some form in early 2013, with Android apps following soon after.

In so doing, the company stands a good chance of cementing the role of the iPad as a business tool, eroding the advantages of Windows Phone 8 and undermining the entire value proposition of Windows RT. It will also hole Microsoft's argument that the iPad is "just" for content consumption below the waterline. The upside of Office on iOS? That's harder to fathom."

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/12/in-bringing-office-to-ios...

mathfaster said:   Microsoft could be throwing this under the bus before it even gets started. Businesses want Excel and Word on their iPads.

"It's still not official, but the evidence that Microsoft is bringing Office to the iPad and iPhone is growing in abundance. At this point, it seems to be an inevitability that Redmond will release Office apps for iOS in some form in early 2013, with Android apps following soon after.

In so doing, the company stands a good chance of cementing the role of the iPad as a business tool, eroding the advantages of Windows Phone 8 and undermining the entire value proposition of Windows RT. It will also hole Microsoft's argument that the iPad is "just" for content consumption below the waterline. The upside of Office on iOS? That's harder to fathom."

To be fair, MS is making Office for Surface RT free. It's unlikely Microsoft will price Office for iOS anywhere near Apple's iWork. You'll probably pay far more than a Surface for even an iPad mini with all the Office apps.

Still would avoid Windows RT like the plague. No sideloading? Yes, let's trust Microsoft to decide which startups can live or die on Windows. Didn't we as a country sue Microsoft for that a decade ago? Didn't we win that one for a reason?

asuka said:   mathfaster said:   

No sideloading? Yes, let's trust Microsoft to decide which startups can live or die on Windows. Didn't we as a country sue Microsoft for that a decade ago? Didn't we win that one for a reason?

Don't get this part - iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad also don't allow sideloading - how is that not the same issue? I get why it is blocked, but AFAIK, Microsoft doesn't run the Windows Store with the same rules Apple runs their app store. Apps get declined by Apple because they are not pretty enough...

mathfaster said:   Microsoft could be throwing this under the bus before it even gets started. Businesses want Excel and Word on their iPads.

Not to mention LAME attempt by paying Oprah to send tweets to her followers hyping it except tweet was sent from iPad. LOL to both Balmer and ho hum Oprah - the paid hypester.

scoobydooby said:   asuka said:   mathfaster said:   

No sideloading? Yes, let's trust Microsoft to decide which startups can live or die on Windows. Didn't we as a country sue Microsoft for that a decade ago? Didn't we win that one for a reason?

Don't get this part - iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad also don't allow sideloading - how is that not the same issue? I get why it is blocked, but AFAIK, Microsoft doesn't run the Windows Store with the same rules Apple runs their app store. Apps get declined by Apple because they are not pretty enough...

Let's not forget lightning adapters. The EU court ruled that cell phone manufacturers had to stop making different connectors(all the major companies signed an agreement in order to bypass full legislation time and costs, some info, more available on Google: Crapple backs out of agreement.), as it was a way to monopolize people only buying their product to accompany their phone as well as making a new type of connection every time a patent ran out so no one else could make it, not to mention the incredible amount of waste throwing out and purchasing new chargers all the time...

But.. SOMEHOW... Apple shitbags do it TIME AND AGAIN. And get away with it. Meanwhile, let's complain that the Windows tablet doesn't.... what? What doesn't it do that the iPad does? It doesn't have all the apps? If you require HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of apps to satisfy your tablet needs... you're doing it wrong.

While I agree, Microsoft is wrong on many fronts.... the Apple hipsters have got it COMPLETELY wrong if they think Apple is the answer to not liking Microsoft... they're both shit, and they both wring us for every penny they can, and no matter what we as consumers win in court... the sheep trudge along and never raise any flags when those rights are getting trounced again.

Everything the hipsters claim Microsoft does or is going to do wrong... is already being done by Crapple, so I'm not sure why "apple" is worse than "apple" in this case... i.e. - not apples and oranges as they are one in the same in terms of how they treat consumers.

ebbikenezer said:   Let's not forget lightning adapters. The supreme court ruled that cell phone manufacturers had to stop making different connectors, as it was a way to monopolize people only buying their product to accompany their phone as well as making a new type of connection every time a patent ran out so no one else could make it.

Do you have a link to that Supreme Court ruling? I've heard of a standard being enforced in the EU, but I've not heard of such a ruling for the US.

97snake said:   ebbikenezer said:   Let's not forget lightning adapters. The supreme court ruled that cell phone manufacturers had to stop making different connectors, as it was a way to monopolize people only buying their product to accompany their phone as well as making a new type of connection every time a patent ran out so no one else could make it.

Do you have a link to that Supreme Court ruling? I've heard of a standard being enforced in the EU, but I've not heard of such a ruling for the US.

Apologies, EU, fixed.

Regardless... they simply ignored their agreement. Hopefully EU just puts it into full law and sues the ass off of Apple. I'd love to see Apple, Microsoft and some others get a good slap in the face for their shenanigans in and about laws and ruling, to make an extra buck.

I find it highly amusing Apple states they comply to the agreement by offering a micro-USB to lightning adapter... for several times the cost of the 30-pin to lightning adapter, and just making it overall prohibitive to bother keeping your old chargers for any reason. "Green" company? Maybe, in terms of the cash they want to accumulate, no way in terms of helping the planet. Microsoft is the same smell from a different turd, at the end of the day.

It is really sad to see most of the fatwallets commenting without seeing or touching a Surface. Recently, on my daughter's birthday, we decided to buy a iPad. But she decided to checkout Surface before buying. We went to local MS popup store and decided after 20 minutes of playing in it. What made her (and me) to choose the Surface

1. Keyboard
2. USB drive ( all homework comes and goes)
3. Full version of Office 2013.
3. Easily printing in the home network printer.
4. It took, hardly 30 minutes to adjust in Win 8 and the sleek thin Keyboard.

There are reasonable selection of apps but no where near the competitors. The OS is responsive. I am a Kindle fire and IProducts owner.

Dear Microsoft,

I want to tell you how much I miss you. I sincerely want to buy this tablet! I really do! It looks amazing, and that kickstand thing is really cool, but I don't buy a computer because it looks cool. I buy computers on functionality and price. The RT tablet is slightly on the expensive side, but the functionality is pathetic, and it should not be called Windows because you can't run Windows programs on it. The one that will be able to run Windows programs that is coming out in a few months is way over priced. Given it will be able to run windows programs, but cost a grand!?!? That's a joke when I can get an equivalent iPad for $300 less, and an Android Tablet for $500 less. Please make a competitive product and I will gladly give you my money.

Sincerely,
Table83

tlwisner said:   I suspect we'll see these RT Tablets closed out at rock bottom prices by this time next year, as the RT goes the way of the Zune. Sorry. I won't give red on the deal though - it is only my opinion of the product.

What is going to kill the Surface RT is the Surface Pro. There is a place for the RT, but it needs a lower price point. I expect that the new Clover Trail Atom will become competitive enough against the ARM processors that there will be no point in continuing with a RT only platform unless its a lot cheaper.

The RT will (IMO) fade away as newer units with full OS take over its price point. MS expects this, I think, its why they didn't release the Pro until after the Christmas season. (the Pro is supposed to be i5 based, so there is still space for a new Atom based unit)

The new Atoms are better than the previous version i3s, so should make for very decent tablets. (versus the old netbooks that were horribly underpowered with the old single core 1st Gen Atoms)

I see a good bit of Intel learning from Apple here.. release the the limited one for Christmas, the version for real users after Christmas, then the less powerful consumer full PC version that will replace the RT after that. The whole point of Intel even doing Surface was a lot more about spurring their partners to innovate/advance than about selling tons of hardware. First was the Ultrabook then the tablet/convertable -- the market was stagnant and refusing to innovate. (its STILL impossible to buy a 15" laptop with a fullHD display at retail even now (1920x1080) -- but that is changing rapidly) The vendors were putting the bare minimums out and Apple was pushing the limits so the point was coming where the Apple "premium" was going to be worth it for better hardware specs. Its already the case for iPads with Retina displays -- they are arguably the best tablet display on the market. I still won't BUY an Apple product, but its silly to refuse to admit they caught and passed Androids -- who are only now starting to put high resolution displays out.

My brand new business laptop is 1366x768... thats been the basic standard in 15" machines for a decade now....

What many people fail to see is that as nice as the iPad is (I have one), it is not yet capable of replacing a laptop for many business people. I can get away with a Mac Air or a Ultrabook because I need to be able to run excel, word, powerpoint etc, things I cannot do on the iPad. Also the inability to chose and prioritize what networks to connect to for example can be a real drag in a business environment where you have 2-3 networks and the ipad choses which one it wants at random (and you need to be on network X to connect to the mainframe for example).

Also, while google apps is great, using google docs for sharing spreadsheets is still not ready for primetime. We house a few of our sheets on the cloud and the functionality does not match excel yet. For basic spreadsheets, yes, but for robust ones, no.

So my point is that there is a need for a Surface that can do all that so I don't have to travel with a laptop and an ipad. I can't wait for the day I can leave home with just 1 small unit(a powerful Surface or an iPad that runs office) and leave the laptop behind. For now my only option is an ultrabook or Mac Air.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

PhoenixMan said:   What many people fail to see is that as nice as the iPad is (I have one), it is not yet capable of replacing a laptop for many business people. I can get away with a Mac Air or a Ultrabook because I need to be able to run excel, word, powerpoint etc, things I cannot do on the iPad. Also the inability to chose and prioritize what networks to connect to for example can be a real drag in a business environment where you have 2-3 networks and the ipad choses which one it wants at random (and you need to be on network X to connect to the mainframe for example).

Also, while google apps is great, using google docs for sharing spreadsheets is still not ready for primetime. We house a few of our sheets on the cloud and the functionality does not match excel yet. For basic spreadsheets, yes, but for robust ones, no.

So my point is that there is a need for a Surface that can do all that so I don't have to travel with a laptop and an ipad. I can't wait for the day I can leave home with just 1 small unit(a powerful Surface or an iPad that runs office) and leave the laptop behind. For now my only option is an ultrabook or Mac Air.

So anyone remember MSFT's tablet laptops from 2002-2007 made by Toshiba, Acer and HP (with nightmarish overheating resulting in many laptops to stop working due to poor heatsink on Nvidia GPU, etc)? Yeah certainly was successful - NOT! We were forced to dogfood the XP for tablet if one chose smaller laptop while at MSFT and none of us ever used the tablet nor joke hand recognition system.

Yes ideally there should be all in 1 of ultraportable like Macbook Air (and copy cat versions with Wintel soon of be ex-monopoly)with slate function but I'd leave it to AAPL to come up with one and NOT MSFT.

I mean do y'all know why MSFT resorted to Surface? 'Cos the hardware companies burned once by MSFT chose not to develop it. I mean look what happened to ho hum Android tablets from Acer, Toshiba, Dell, etc. and yeah HP who liquidated (lost millions too) their one promising Palm OS tablets last year (it was smart move).

PS - as you may have guessed I used to work at MSFT and can vouch for their hardware incompetence like anyone recall ring of death on Xbox 360?

While these will likely fail, because you can't charge that much money for a product without a strong application base. Some of the points here about it not being Real Windows are not exactly applicable.

Look at the industry standard iPad. It's IOS not Mac OS. It has huge faults but it is so well supported, and quite stable.

iPad one didn't fail because they had a huge application base when it came out. All the iPhone stuff worked. Not ideal but it worked. MS doesn't have a good RISC small device application base because WIN Ce/ win Phone/ whatever they call it this week, has not caught on. Even when they had a phone system and common secure music platform - remember plays fore sure, they came out with Zune. That company has no idea what an integrated product strategy is. Apple, has music players, phones, tablets, all running the same apps through the same store.

There are a few huge weaknesses in the IPad that could open it up for competition.
1. You can't have multiple documents open at once with the same app.
2. The places applications store work product are cryptic so apps don't interact we'll with documents, take a pix with the camera, do OCR on it, open it with a word processor and insert a spread sheet, export as a PDF, annotate that PDF.
3. Apple is such a predatory monopoly they lock down the entire environment and charge everyone (application and content providers) 30% to get into the space. Why this doesn't get the attention of antitrust is a huge mystery to me. I remember MS getting trashed in court over including IE with windows. These guys are sole source for all IOS computing devices, sole OS provider for operating system on the hardware, and sole conduit with a 30% surcharge for everything that goes through the conduit to an IOS device and they have the lions share of the market. At least as a supplier although IOS may not be the market share leader as an OS.

There is room for a well managed competitor even with android too. None of these Platforms can deliver a good analog of the desktop experience in a high battery life portable situation.

I just picked up one of these last night and feel it is exactly what I've been looking for - a tablet that has just enough productivity features to replace my laptop.

I really don't get what folks are complaining about and why they think this product will fail. Lack of apps? Big deal - that's the same complaint for ANY other device other than Apple, but it has Netflix, Hulu Plus, several news apps...since its meant for actual production, what apps are people crying about that they're missing?

It comes with MS Office 2013. That alone makes it worth more than any consumption tablet, like an ipad.

The keyboard cover is great! I'm using it to type this post. Other tablets don't even come with a separate keyboard that doubles as a cover, and find one that weighs less than 10oz,

This is a tablet on steroids more than anything else, and the Surface Pro more so.

I just don't see what the problem is. I think the price is reasonable for what you get. Would I like to pay less, sure. But I get a larger tablet/super light laptop in one unit, that does 95% of what I do with those devices: Work with MS Office, print documents, browse the web, watch movies, and read books, WITH a usable keyboard, cover, and the whole thing weighs 1.5lbs!

I am going to green this because of so much value added off topic discussion it started!

who did what when
Disclaimer
BPH789 said:   PhoenixMan said:   What many people fail to see is that as nice as the iPad is (I have one), it is not yet capable of replacing a laptop for many business people. I can get away with a Mac Air or a Ultrabook because I need to be able to run excel, word, powerpoint etc, things I cannot do on the iPad. Also the inability to chose and prioritize what networks to connect to for example can be a real drag in a business environment where you have 2-3 networks and the ipad choses which one it wants at random (and you need to be on network X to connect to the mainframe for example).

So anyone remember MSFT's tablet laptops from 2002-2007 made by Toshiba, Acer and HP (with nightmarish overheating resulting in many laptops to stop working due to poor heatsink on Nvidia GPU, etc)? Yeah certainly was successful - NOT! We were forced to dogfood the XP for tablet if one chose smaller laptop while at MSFT and none of us ever used the tablet nor joke hand recognition system.

Yes ideally there should be all in 1 of ultraportable like Macbook Air (and copy cat versions with Wintel soon of be ex-monopoly)with slate function but I'd leave it to AAPL to come up with one and NOT MSFT.

I mean do y'all know why MSFT resorted to Surface? 'Cos the hardware companies burned once by MSFT chose not to develop it. I mean look what happened to ho hum Android tablets from Acer, Toshiba, Dell, etc. and yeah HP who liquidated (lost millions too) their one promising Palm OS tablets last year (it was smart move).

PS - as you may have guessed I used to work at MSFT and can vouch for their hardware incompetence like anyone recall ring of death on Xbox 360?

Hmm...another one of those iSheep I see. Comparing Macbook Air and the Surface...lets see

Surface:
1. has touch screen capability (macbook air does not)
2. has better battery life (42 Wh vs 35 Wh)
3. has front facing and rear facing cameras (Macbook air only has front)
4. has microSD expansion slot (no such option for Macbook air)
5. has accelerometers and gyroscope (no such thing for Macbook air)
6. most important one - NOT A PART OF APPLE ECO-SYSTEM.

speaking of hardware issues, yes xbox had the RROD but MSFT fixed all of those issues unlike Mr. Jobs who went into denial regarding the iPhone 4 reception issues (remember the you are holding it wrong phase?)

my 2 cents.

Disclaimer - I am not a Microsoft fan. I do not like apple.

I have $500 of OD money to spend....why don't they carry the dang surface!!!

Anybody out there who owns the surface care to add some feedback? I am thinking of buying one to replace my laptop and want feedback as to speed and performance with office and excel. Any feedback on Access?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014