• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
The Cold Steel Bushman is a survival knife that's a little different than most. It appears to be made out of one continuous piece of 2.5mm carbon steel with part of it rolled into a handle. It can be mounted on a pole and be used to harvest fruit from high branches in trees, and some of the demo videos show it being used as a spear.

The blade is 7", comes very sharp, and the coating on the blade and handle makes for a good grip.

Firsts have an MSRP of $37.99, and are on sale now for $29.99. At my last count I had six of these knives, and I'll pick up another three or six on this deal. At this price I consider them disposable and useful for anything I wouldn't want to ruin an expensive knife on. I've found them to be sharp, sturdy, useful, and cool.

Bushman 2nds

Member Summary

Cold Steel Bushman fixed blade knife
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Comes with a "Cor-Ex" sheath which is not listed or pictured anywhere on their website. The term "Cor-Ex Sheath" or "Cor-Ex" does not produce any results on several search engines. Another knife/bladed instrument site which does show sheaths without naming the product material makes them look like Cordura - a synthetic nylon-like, sturdy tear resistant material that is used for backpacks, motorcycle gear, some military gear, etc.

The only thing that bothers me about these knives is that the handle end is an open cylinder. If you're not going to put a pole in it to make a spear, it's just a place to have crap fall into. Easy enough to fill it I suppose but not sure about the aesthetics.

$24.99 would be more accurate.

The one for $24.99 is the Bowie version. I have both kinds, it depends on what you want. The Bowie is easier to throw, the bushman is easier to harvest fruit with. The sheath is a very basic Cordura pouch style sheath with a little pocket on it and a plastic triangle riveted to the point end. I certainly wouldn't buy the knife for the sheath, but it does the job in a very basic way.

$10 shipping kills it.
Amazon has same knife for $25.

crazyassnate said:   The one for $24.99 is the Bowie version. I have both kinds, it depends on what you want. The Bowie is easier to throw, the bushman is easier to harvest fruit with. The sheath is a very basic Cordura pouch style sheath with a little pocket on it and a plastic triangle riveted to the point end. I certainly wouldn't buy the knife for the sheath, but it does the job in a very basic way.

Harvest fruit? I haven't seen that aspect illustrated in a Cold Steel demonstration video. I have seen people hack the crap out of sides of Beef using no technique.
Bushman demo video for everyone's edification. No fruit harvesting.
Cold Steel Bushman demo

I harvest fruit at my local supermarket and I've never needed a knife

Buy 6 for $80 and get free shipping.

Some will be gifts. I'm thinking of finding a rubber plug for the end and will turn the handle into storage.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014