• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Link

Lowest price since 2009 ($560). Also get 2% back in rewards. $629 was the most recent low.

4.8/5 stars on Amazon. Five 5-star user reviews on dpreview. Good review on the-digital-picture.

Features: ring USM, full-time manual, included bayonet hood, weather-resistant construction, no extension during zoom, highly regarded IQ. (No IS on this model.)

CamelCamelCamel

Edit: This is the least expensive L-series medium-to-long-range telephoto that Canon makes. If you would like to get a taste of the L series at a (relatively) low price, this is the ticket. If you don't mind spending more than you would on the 55-250mm or 70-300 IS USM, you probably will get better-quality photos by shooting at 200mm and cropping than at 250mm or 300 on either of those.

Edit: No IS as noted in subsequent post. If you have a pretty steady hand and are shooting outdoors at high shutter speed, though, I wouldn't think this would be a big problem. Obviously a tripod will always make stead picture-taking easier.

Edit: Added FSSS -- free shipping of course.

Edit: Price dropped on 12/18 from $579 to $559.

Amazon
Get Up to 3.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

Canon EF 70-200mm
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Great price.

Some things to note:

- There is no IS (image stabilization) on this lens. You need a steady hand or a tripod to get good use of this. Great for some, virtually useless for others.
- Quality is definitely better than your typical zooms that Canon runs rebates on all the time (70-200, 250, 300)
- Yes, if the lens suits your use, it's still worth getting for a lower-end (Txi) series body
- The IS version will run you about twice the price and the faster, f/2.8 IS, about 2.5-3x the price.

OctaneZ said:   $629 at Adorama
$629 at B&H

So a $50 savings!

There's probably a Canon rebate on it right now, with Amazon undercutting the other two sellers. We like savings of all kinds, though, here on FW!

If you're really patient (and timely), you can nab a refurb model from Canon for more than $100 less:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1238692/

If you don't dig refurbs (or used), this is about as good as it gets.

There is a serious problem with this lens. Beware.

This lens is so good that you will end up getting more 'L' lenses.

king0fSpades said:   There is a serious problem with this lens. Beware.

Ha! Nice avatar... I dropped over $300 on a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 recently -- I don't dare spend anymore and incur spousal wrath!

Hoogineer said:   king0fSpades said:   There is a serious problem with this lens. Beware.

Ha! Nice avatar... I dropped over $300 on a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 recently -- I don't dare spend anymore and incur spousal wrath!

That is the beauty of this hobby. Spouse can't tell the difference between my old 50mm f/1.4 and new 85mm F/1.2L II

king0fSpades said:   There is a serious problem with this lens. Beware.

Green and QFT. This is the lens that gave me "L fever" when I hooked it up to my 20D, to replace my first generation 70-300 IS. Now, five years, a 5dII, and the 20-35 f2.8L, 24-105 4L IS, 135 F2L, 70-200 2.8L IS, and 70-300L IS later (along with a 100-400L IS I bought and sold), I've found tolerable glass to cover most shooting situations (as well as inner peace).

I also could be driving a different car for all the $$$$ I have locked up in L glass.

Price dropped $20 to $559. Thread updated. Also added some review information.

Edit: If you don't want to spend for an L, you can still pick up the EF 70-300mm IS USM f/4-5.6 refurb from the Canon store for less than half. It's really up to you whether the improved IQ, ring USM (vice [fake] micro USM of the 70-300mm), and full-time manual of the 70-200mm f/4L USM warrant spending more.

Bump -- still alive.

Just picked lens up at B&H for $559 shipped
add to cart for price
oh these are new not refurb

OK they removed the 80 instant rebate now back up to 674 better deal on Amazon

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014