• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
One of my customers alerted me to this, for some of you this may be a good alternative to waiting for Google to replenish their inventory.

It assumes you have access to a legit corporate discount through T-Mobile.

For me, my corporate discount is 10% on service.

Here's the math:

Nexus 4 16 GB is $149, plus tax, free shipping.
Cheapest plan you can sign for is 39.99 + 20 data = 59.99 - discount + taxes
Activation is waived (T-Mo seems to be waiving it for everyone)
ETF is $200

Compared to Play store:

Nexus 4 16 GB is $349, plus tax and at least $12.99 shipping.
Most people seem get $30 t-Mo plan or $45 Straight Talk plan.

Now the real math...

T-Mo: $149 (Nexus) + 6% tax = 157.94 shipped and activated
T-Mo: 1 month service = $59.99 * 10% discount + 6% tax = $57.23
T-Mo: $200 ETF

= Nexus + 1 month of service + ETF = $415.17

Google: $349 (Nexus) + 6% tax + 12.99 shipping = $382.93
ST: $1 SIM (assume it can be found) + $45 first month service (assume you don't pay tax) = $46

= Nexus + 1 month of service = $428.93

If you were planning on using T-Mo anyway this is a great deal. If you weren't, but want to get a Nexus 4 before they're back in stock from Google, still not a bad deal. If you have access to a corporate discount > 10% you can save a few bucks more on the first month's service.

Member Summary

nexus 4
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

outtawhack said:   For me, my corporate discount is 10% on service.

Now the real math...

T-Mo: $149 (Nexus) + 6% tax = 157.94 shipped and activated
T-Mo: 1 month service = $59.99 * 10% discount + 6% tax = $57.23
T-Mo: $200 ETF

= Nexus + 1 month of service + ETF = $415.17

Google: $349 (Nexus) + 6% tax + 12.99 shipping = $382.93
ST: $1 SIM (assume it can be found) + $45 first month service (assume you don't pay tax) = $46

= Nexus + 1 month of service = $428.93
All that hassle and the NEED for a corporate discount to save $13 is hardly worth it. I bet T-Mobile has bloatware installed on their phone too. I'd just go straight to play store. Much much easier..

Isn't that section on "the real math" basically saying how you get a phone for $14 less by doing a whole lot of perfectly timed service cancellations and not being taxed on the phone before service discount ? I dunno man, seems like it's a lot more work for a small percentage of savings.

EDIT: I know that google is giving a fairly long estimate, but it seems that they'd been shipping faster than those long estimates for the Nexus 7 and, I thought, the 4. If you absolutely need to get one ASAP, this may be a decent way of not paying someone eBay profiteering but if you have to pay a month of service, do etf's, etc I would say "just get in line, it'll probably ship in under a month".

I thought the major carriers had tiered ETF, meaning basic phones = $200, smart phones = $350, etc.

ChefJoe said:   Isn't that section on "the real math" basically saying how you get a phone for $14 less by doing a whole lot of perfectly timed service cancellations and not being taxed on the phone before service discount ? I dunno man, seems like it's a lot more work for a small percentage of savings.

I think the OP meant that if you can't wait it out for googles to restock and really want it now, an alternative method to get a unit in your hands for a similiar overall price would be via the route he mentioned above.

ChefJoe said:   Isn't that section on "the real math" basically saying how you get a phone for $14 less by doing a whole lot of perfectly timed service cancellations and not being taxed on the phone before service discount ? I dunno man, seems like it's a lot more work for a small percentage of savings.

Agreed, but if you take Google's estimates at face value, it's going to be 6-8 weeks before you'll see a Nexus 4 available for order.

It beats the heck out of paying $450-$550 plus shipping for one eBay, which is the only other channel to purchasing a Nexus 4 right now.

Given that, and given many people are using it on T-Mo anyway, it's worth it to jump through the hoops. Just look at the Nexus 4 thread for how many people paid for 2 day shipping only to have to wait 1+ weeks from shipping notification to delivery.

And as far as bloatware, there is none. This is a Nexus.

outtawhack said:   And as far as bloatware, there is none. This is a Nexus.

True. But is T-Mobile bastardizing the Nexus 4 by installing some of their own apps and maybe also SIM-locking?

OP, can you change to a value plan after 30-60 days? If yes, this would make a compelling offer for me.

kenyanboy said:   outtawhack said:   And as far as bloatware, there is none. This is a Nexus.

True. But is T-Mobile bastardizing the Nexus 4 by installing some of their own apps and maybe also SIM-locking?

OP, can you change to a value plan after 30-60 days? If yes, this would make a compelling offer for me.

Seems like a good deal if, for example, you're trying to get one for someone for Christmas.

kenyanboy, why wait 30-60 days? Once you receive it, you can call up and switch over to Value plan for $200 conversion fee. Seems like if you're going specifically Value Plan that would be cheaper!

You can also get corp discount on value plans too!

Shoot me a PM if you're a new customer to Tmo and looking for decent deals- I "know a guy"...

kenyanboy said:   outtawhack said:   And as far as bloatware, there is none. This is a Nexus.

My coworker got one from T-Mobile and it's the exact same as one I got from the Play Store. No bloat and still unlocked.

Whole point of Nexus is to not have the bloatware and carrier locks. If TMo were doing so, Google wouldn't be distributing through them.

ChefJoe said:   EDIT: I know that google is giving a fairly long estimate, but it seems that they'd been shipping faster than those long estimates for the Nexus 7 and, I thought, the 4. If you absolutely need to get one ASAP, this may be a decent way of not paying someone eBay profiteering but if you have to pay a month of service, do etf's, etc I would say "just get in line, it'll probably ship in under a month".

"Fairly long estimate"? Google's current estimate is "never" since the phone is "SOLD OUT".

So I can do this with SIII too, right?

Non replaceable battery of Nexus kills the deal.

Why is it no manufacturer can ever include all the good things? They all leave out things that would make the phone better.

I would gladly buy a nexus 4 for $150 and do a 2 year agreement, but you can't with the $30 unlimited data / 100min plan.

I'm sorry, but I don't get the math. Why is there one month of service added to the nexus purchased from the play store?

msiew said:   I'm sorry, but I don't get the math. Why is there one month of service added to the nexus purchased from the play store?

Because I assume 99.9% of people purchasing a Nexus 4 plan on using it as a smartphone as soon as it arrives, so they will have either bought a SIM + pin for their device, or they'll activate on a post paid account once it arrives.

Of those planning on using with a post-paid provider, most are probably going to buy an iPhone 5 16 GB for $199 to take a subsidy and will then sell on eBay for $500+ to effectively get their Nexus 4 free.

gossipninja said:   I would gladly buy a nexus 4 for $150 and do a 2 year agreement, but you can't with the $30 unlimited data / 100min plan.

But you wouldn't pay $349 + tax + shipping for one from Google?

Nothing stops you from going this route, then paying the $200 ETF to switch to the $30 pre-paid plan after a month. In the end you will come out even or slightly ahead compared to buying through the Google Play store (minus waiting 8+ weeks for one), which is my whole point...

Sold mine for $489 today! Yay for me. Going to use the Note 2 in it's place. I love pure Google, et.al, but the Note 2 is just hard to beat. It's phenomenal.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014