• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Just got back from Costco Tire Center. The $70 off tires plus $30 off installation for Bridgestone tires is extended through 12/23. He also mentioned that Michelin tires will be $70 off starting 12/24.

Member Summary

ZOOOM
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Ever since I bought tires for my car at Costco I've been stuck with them, because of the tread wear guarantee. 80,000 mile tires would be done by about 40,000, and I would get half the price back (but only if I buy the next tires from them). Now our new car needs tires, and I can shop around. Does Costco generally have the best prices (figuring in all the discounts, warranty replacements, free rotations, repair etc etc)?

minidanas said:   Ever since I bought tires for my car at Costco I've been stuck with them, because of the tread wear guarantee. 80,000 mile tires would be done by about 40,000, and I would get half the price back (but only if I buy the next tires from them). Now our new car needs tires, and I can shop around. Does Costco generally have the best prices (figuring in all the discounts, warranty replacements, free rotations, repair etc etc)?

Many people on other threads have found Costco Competitive. If you don't mind a 2 step process: ordering from tire rack online and then having the tires mounted locally, this could be even cheaper. My local Sears is an included installer, but I have not had a bad experience with any of the 4 shops I have used over the yrs for installation.

minidanas said:   Ever since I bought tires for my car at Costco I've been stuck with them, because of the tread wear guarantee. 80,000 mile tires would be done by about 40,000, and I would get half the price back (but only if I buy the next tires from them). Now our new car needs tires, and I can shop around. Does Costco generally have the best prices (figuring in all the discounts, warranty replacements, free rotations, repair etc etc)?

I'm actually doing this shopping right now...I've always wanted to get a new set from Costco and frankly, I'm disappointed that they are far from the best price. For the exact same tire (Michelin Energy Saver), Costco wants $112.99 and American Tire Depot 94.99 a tire for my Corolla (and same install charge per tire). Plus online ordering you get $20 off a set of four (which I'll be buying) and both have the $70 mail in rebate for Michelin.

Costco offers that 5 yr road harard warranty but frankly I don't think it's worth much. I haven't decided exactly what I want yet but I'll probably go with this American Tire Depot since there are several locations in LA and they are the cheapest (and have free tire flat fixes, tire rotatation, tire balancing).

http://www.americantiredepot.com/locations.html

I don't know if this company is an option for you, but it's looking like they're the best price in my area. And if I wanted to go to a smaller shop, the prices looked slightly better (but I want a place with several locations since I'll have these tires possibly for the life of the car).

So wherever you are, I would look for a big tire store like the one I mentioned (maybe Big O Tire) and compare. I was honestly surprised Costco wasn't better priced.

since when is costco "best priced" on anything? You buy at Costco for convenience and the guarantee.

elizard said:   minidanas said:   Ever since I bought tires for my car at Costco I've been stuck with them, because of the tread wear guarantee. 80,000 mile tires would be done by about 40,000, and I would get half the price back (but only if I buy the next tires from them). Now our new car needs tires, and I can shop around. Does Costco generally have the best prices (figuring in all the discounts, warranty replacements, free rotations, repair etc etc)?

I'm actually doing this shopping right now...I've always wanted to get a new set from Costco and frankly, I'm disappointed that they are far from the best price. For the exact same tire (Michelin Energy Saver), Costco wants $112.99 and American Tire Depot 94.99 a tire for my Corolla (and same install charge per tire). Plus online ordering you get $20 off a set of four (which I'll be buying) and both have the $70 mail in rebate for Michelin.

Costco offers that 5 yr road harard warranty but frankly I don't think it's worth much. I haven't decided exactly what I want yet but I'll probably go with this American Tire Depot since there are several locations in LA and they are the cheapest (and have free tire flat fixes, tire rotatation, tire balancing).

http://www.americantiredepot.com/locations.html

I don't know if this company is an option for you, but it's looking like they're the best price in my area. And if I wanted to go to a smaller shop, the prices looked slightly better (but I want a place with several locations since I'll have these tires possibly for the life of the car).

So wherever you are, I would look for a big tire store like the one I mentioned (maybe Big O Tire) and compare. I was honestly surprised Costco wasn't better priced.

Well, that might be your experience but my Costco's in LA have some great prices. I doubt you want me to list them but if I even just mention organic chicken it's a much better price (esp. compared to WF). Maybe you don't buy the items I do.

And with Costco, you tend to get 'extras.' When I bought a hand blender, it came with the attachment I wanted which was more money buying it elsewhere.

Costco beat my local shop plus Belle and Discount Tire by $75-$100 on a set of four tires. Unfortunately the only Bridgestone they can get to fit my car have been out of stock at their distributor for months. They seem to only use Michelin and Bridgestone, so if you have a weird size like on my truck you might have difficulty. They did tell me that they make very little on tires - it is a way to get you in the store. Probably a good plan, since when you come back for a rotation and have an hour to kill, you may end up spending a ton on stuff in the store.

Costco is not always cheapest, but on many things they are a great buy - especially Kirkland brand. They don't use loss leaders to get you in the store like grocery chains do, so you are not going to find $1.50 gallons of milk and 75 cent 2L bottles of Coke. I save enough on saline solution and dog food in a year to pay for my membership.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014