• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Platinum tel just launched their BYOD service..

There's special..for $20 you get a SIM and $40 plan, you can use the Pay as you go.

Platinumtel have been the King of real pay as you go....straight and simple. They used to be Sprint MVNO which was not very intersting to me. Now they launched their Tmobile service.

This is a good deal. Special I like the Real Pay as You go. Until Ultra.me comes with their Pay as you go...this is the best deal. No minimun usage. With the S40 pin you get 150 days. Sweet indeed.

Use this code: SIMWOOT40 at their web site

http://www.platinumtel.com/

See this thead a HOFO where I got the news

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1785556-Where-to-buy-...

Member Summary

Platinumtel (4.06kB)
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer

Patinumtel (98.43kB)
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
new coupon: PTELSLICK20

makemore (Apr. 22, 2013 @ 1:14p) |

It is a 2FF with precut of 3FF in it.

makemore (Apr. 22, 2013 @ 1:41p) |

Are you saying the Pantech Burst 9070 works with PTEL? i sent specs to PTEL to ask about compatibility and I received th... (more)

hazelium (Apr. 30, 2013 @ 7:20p) |

Sim cards and top up cards are good for one year. Order multiple times and stock them.
Staff Summary

is this special price...just for the first month?...appears that way

adaddo said:   is this special price...just for the first month?...appears that way

Yes. $40 is the regular price per month for their unlimited. Still, a very solid plan, from a very solid company.

It's also going to be available via GivMobile(still PTel) for the same price, 8% going to charity. That doesn't appear to be up yet though.

https://www.facebook.com/GivMobile

Unless you talk a lot and don't know how to use Google Voice, the $30 TMobile plan through WalMart is better.

"First 250 MB high speed" not worth switching from Straight Talk

Their unlimited is limited to 250mb on the $40 plan, and 2gb on the $50 plan. How do they get away with calling the limited plan unlimited?

esoterica said:   "First 250 MB high speed" not worth switching from Straight Talk

my thoughts exactly!

Going to give this a try, their per MB charge seems reasonable, unlike $1.99 on Verizon...

I will give it a try for a month.

GWBush said:   Unless you talk a lot and don't know how to use Google Voice, the $30 TMobile plan through WalMart is better.

I'd like to think I know how to use Google Voice. On my Android phone, you still use minutes when you use Google Voice. Same on my iPhone. Google Voice doesn't do voice over data (VoIP), they just call an inward WATS line (google it) using regular voice.

HappyScrappyHeroPup said:   GWBush said:   Unless you talk a lot and don't know how to use Google Voice, the $30 TMobile plan through WalMart is better.

I'd like to think I know how to use Google Voice. On my Android phone, you still use minutes when you use Google Voice. Same on my iPhone. Google Voice doesn't do voice over data (VoIP), they just call an inward WATS line (google it) using regular voice.
For Android you need GrooveIP. I think it is ~$5 in the Play Store. It uses wifi first and data second. Fully integrates with the native dialer and contacts. Works very well.

adaddo said:   is this special price...just for the first month?...appears that wayYou order a sim card and a $40 plan card (or $40 top up card) for $44.99 and the code takes off $24.99. Both the sim card and the plan card is good for one year (confirmed on their facebook page). Place multiple orders and then either give the sim cards away or sell them cheap.

If T-Mobile service is good for you this is a pretty good deal.
2 cent MMS is great for paygo.

I got one just for the data usage. I have a iPhone 3gs with no wifi and I need to download some items.

No shipping and no tax.

jimates said:   adaddo said:   is this special price...just for the first month?...appears that wayYou order a sim card and a $40 plan card (or $40 top up card) for $44.99 and the code takes off $24.99. Both the sim card and the plan card is good for one year (confirmed on their facebook page). Place multiple orders and then either give the sim cards away or sell them cheap.

I got one just for the data usage. I have a iPhone 3gs with no wifi and I need to download some items.

No shipping and no tax.

Do you live in a part of the country where you get HSPA (or HSDPA) from T-Mo on a 3GS? Most of us live in areas where T-Mobile offers HSDPA/HSPA on the AWS bands and the iPhone 3GS doesn't support those bands.

If you live in one of those areas, you'll be downloading your apps over EDGE, which is going to require a lot of patience.

HappyScrappyHeroPup said:   jimates said:   adaddo said:   is this special price...just for the first month?...appears that wayYou order a sim card and a $40 plan card (or $40 top up card) for $44.99 and the code takes off $24.99. Both the sim card and the plan card is good for one year (confirmed on their facebook page). Place multiple orders and then either give the sim cards away or sell them cheap.

No shipping and no tax.

Do you live in a part of the country where you get HSPA (or HSDPA) from T-Mo on a 3GS? Most of us live in areas where T-Mobile offers HSDPA/HSPA on the AWS bands and the iPhone 3GS doesn't support those bands.

If you live in one of those areas, you'll be downloading your apps over EDGE, which is going to require a lot of patience.
Yea, I am in a rural area where T-Mo is only good along the highway. Luckily I live on the highway. I am sure it will slow but considering I have no other option it will have to do.

My sister's phone got a little water damage and now no wifi. She just wants to use it for talk and text. It is already jailbroke, I just need to add a source to Cydia and download the SMS GV Extension. This will give free incoming text using push.

jimates said:   HappyScrappyHeroPup said:   GWBush said:   Unless you talk a lot and don't know how to use Google Voice, the $30 TMobile plan through WalMart is better.

For Android you need GrooveIP. I think it is ~$5 in the Play Store. It uses wifi first and data second. Fully integrates with the native dialer and contacts. Works very well.

GrooveIP works great, think they have a lite version for free too.

thanatoslrsd said:   Their unlimited is limited to 250mb on the $40 plan, and 2gb on the $50 plan. How do they get away with calling the limited plan unlimited?

To be clear, 250meg/2gb(depending on plan) at high speed. After that you are not cut off, just throttled. Therefore they call it unlimited, like pretty much every other company. I suspect, like most carriers, they may cut you off if you use a tons & tons of data. Straight Talk does this also.

What is the tmobile plan thru WalMart for $30. Pl. provide a link. Thx

myrebates2 said:   What is the tmobile plan thru WalMart for $30. Pl. provide a link. Thx

As far as I know you do NOT have to go through WalMart.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/monthly-4g-plans

From that link you will see "web exclusive" $30 plan which includes unlimited text and 5GB of data and 100 minutes of talk time.

As far as I know you do NOT have to go through WalMart.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/monthly-4g-plans

From that link you will see "web exclusive" $30 plan which includes unlimited text and 5GB of data and 100 minutes of talk time.

Exactly..I got this plan using this link only.

Code works, good deal for an effective $20 plan with unlimited throttled data (meh, 250 megs at high speed, whatever).
Is the SIM a regular SIM, microSIM or nano SIM? I'm guessing it's not the last one, but not sure if it's regular or microSIM, or both (as the description says '2FF' does the 2 mean both SIMs?)

I've stuck with Straight Talk since while data throttling (and just connection issues) are problems I've run into, overall I just don't have to worry about limits. And now that they've gotten away from disconnecting people from the service (and losing their numbers) if it gets bad, then I'll port out.

pitflyer said:   Code works, good deal for an effective $20 plan with unlimited throttled data (meh, 250 megs at high speed, whatever).
Is the SIM a regular SIM, microSIM or nano SIM? I'm guessing it's not the last one, but not sure if it's regular or microSIM, or both (as the description says '2FF' does the 2 mean both SIMs?)

I've stuck with Straight Talk since while data throttling (and just connection issues) are problems I've run into, overall I just don't have to worry about limits. And now that they've gotten away from disconnecting people from the service (and losing their numbers) if it gets bad, then I'll port out.

2FF is mini or regular
3FF is Micro
4FF is Nano
Pretty easy to cut it down to size though http://www.airportal.de/nanosim/

Is there any expiry date for using Promotion code(SIMWOOT40)?

I ordered on the 19th, got an order confirmation and have heard nothing else.

the code is still good.

Can you switch to the 5 cent per minute plan after your first month? Or are they only allowing BYOD on the GSM network if you stay on the $40 plan?

In case anyone is interested, this offer is back again on WOOT.

http://deals.woot.com/deals/details/75e8f0bc-d12e-4ef8-9eb0-0eafb245fabf/free-sim-card-first-month-of-unlimited-everything

I didn't want the Unlimited plan and wanted the 'Real PayGo'. So, when adding the sim to the cart, I selected the PayGo option with the $40 top-up and applied to SIMWOOT40 coupon at the checkout. Got the $24.99 discount and free shipping. Nice deal.

Cheers.

-----------------
Also, coupon works with $50 top-up too - in case you want to get the additional $10 talk-time and 30 days service.

Hi,
Can someone please tell if i can port my prepaid AT&T number?

Thanks.

For those that like IPhones, the 3GS (OEM refurb) is now available on the PTel website for $150.

https://www.platinumtel.com/phones

I just left the CDMA world after years with Sprint & Verizon.

Purchased a really nice GSM 4G LTE Pantech Burst for less than $100, LEGALLY unlocked it with AT&T's help for no charge (just very kindly and cordially tell their CS line you don't currently have an account, but are headed to Europe and need to unlock it, then fully intend to get a new AT&T account/plan upon your return--works like a charm).

GSM is much easier to deal with different carriers/phones, imho.

I then purchased a fantastic $50 Real Paygo plan from Platinum Tel for $30:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1245241/

If a better deal comes up, I switch SIM cards and off I go.

And, finally, explore how Google Voice makes this seamless, since I don't care about the # on any of these SIM cards, because I only give out my GV #, so there is no porting, etc.

Hope this helps with a viable solution to those considering this. When this phone dies, I'll likely buy a used Nexus 4 for about $100, which is what that price should be in a year or so...

NOTE: right now, PTel seems to be going through some growing pains (they switched from Sprint to T-Mobile) and their account activity webpage for people using GV is a mess. They're working on it and quickly issue credits, when applicable. Just be aware that it's not perfect, but for $20 off of $50, you simply cannot complain!

on the $40 unlimited plan, does ptel throttle data speeds after tje first 250MB or shut off data completely? If they throttle does anyone know what they throttle down to?

6673 said:   on the $40 unlimited plan, does ptel throttle data speeds after tje first 250MB or shut off data completely? If they throttle does anyone know what they throttle down to?

It throttles down to almost nothing. I almost threw my phone out the window several times. IT IS SO F@#KING SLOW!!

cruztopless said:   6673 said:   on the $40 unlimited plan, does ptel throttle data speeds after tje first 250MB or shut off data completely? If they throttle does anyone know what they throttle down to?

It throttles down to almost nothing. I almost threw my phone out the window several times. IT IS SO F@#KING SLOW!!

Sounds like 2G.

A rep at Ptel just informed me that the phones listed on the ptel website are unlocked. Can someone confirm this fact, please?

I'm sticking with the $19 unlimited plan from Republic Wireless. Now, if they can make a BYOD plan for like $25/mo. that doesn't rely on Wi-Fi and roaming, I will be impressed.

SIMWOOT40 I cant seem to get the code to work. Is it valid on prepay

From Ptel Facebook page

Nexus 4 + sim + $40 top up is $333 after coupon code PTELSTUD25C
Befrugal gives 20% ptel CashBack = net cost of ~$267 for phone,sim and $40 refill.

50.00 card and 4.99 sim card (PTELSTUD25C applied - 13.75) in cart total comes to 41.24
40.00 card and 4.99 sim card (PTELSTUD25C applied - 11.23) in cart total comes to 33.74

code seems to work with more than 1 card in cart. According to Ptel website, all phones are unlocked.

I ordered 1 $40 pay-as-you-go top up card and 15 $40 monthly unlimited top up cards. Regardless of type, both $40 top ups cards are labeled as "$40 Top-up" on my invoice. When the box came with all my top ups, EVERY $40 top up card looks the same, meaning I cannot tell which of the sixteen PINs is the pay-as-you-go PIN. Can someone please confirm whether or not the $40 PINs are the same regardless of being identified as "pay-as-you-go" or "unlimited" online? None of the PIN packaging speaks of being either unlimited or pay-as-you-go.

Thank you.

I can confirm I bought a "$40 card (which is really just a code) and SIM" using the PTELS****20 code from anther deal site". The SIM is its own thing and I was able to use the $40 code/top up a pay-as-you-go plan. The cards are just a $$ denomination (and they call the refillcodes "Activation PINs"). You set the type of plan you're using when you activate your SIM/phone.

Ptel also told me a few months ago that the codes are all dollar-based, so there is no difference between a $40 cash PIN and a $40 monthly PIN. As stated above, you pick your plan on activation.

BUT... The important thing to keep in mind is that (as of a few months ago), they don't have the ability to change your plan. The only way to change plans is to buy and activate a new SIM with a new number. I asked if they then could transfer the number, and they said "not at this time" (so definitely don't port a number if you're not sure which plan).

So pick your plan wisely...

Two choices for SIM for me:

Ptel Sim 2FF
Combi Card 2FF/3FF

Same price. Does the 2FF/3FF card also contains 2FF? It is more versatile as I have not settled on a phone yet.

Skipping 3 Messages...
Are you saying the Pantech Burst 9070 works with PTEL? i sent specs to PTEL to ask about compatibility and I received their stock answer: "Phones without the AWS 1700/2100 band will not work on PTEL Mobile's 3G/4G network due to band limitations. In order to connect with the 3G/4G network, a device needs to use both the AWS 1700/2100 bands" and couldn't find those specs on BURST on Pantech site.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014