• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

sigme 50mmm
Disclaimer
Canon-Link

Nikon-Link

Add the lens to cart to see the discount price of $374 with free shipping.

If you apply coupon code VMESAVES20 and checkout with V.me by Visa, it knock off additional $20 to make it $354

Amazon currently sell it for $439 - $449

Member Summary

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Lens
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

How does this lens compare to the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM (which is still $299 on Amazon)?

I'm not a Nikon guy, so maybe this lens makes more sense for someone else.

Hoogineer said:   How does this lens compare to the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM (which is still $299 on Amazon)?

I owned the EF 50mm f/1.4 and $299 new is a great price for that lens. From what I learned, some people like the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 better than the Canon because of the way the out of focus blur look (The quality of the Bokeh). It does not mean the Canon was bad, it is that, according to the reviews I read, the Sigma is a little creamier.

Take a look at this comparison.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma_50_1p4_c16/2

Keep in mind that the smallest aperture of the Sigma is f/16 vs f/22 in Canon. Of course, a lot of people do not use that small aperture (image quality affected due to diffraction for small aperture)

When I bought my Canon 50mm, the Sigma was 4 to 5 hundred bucks since it was just released back then. But for $354 now ... That deserve a serious look.

Hoogineer said:   How does this lens compare to the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM (which is still $299 on Amazon)?

They are both pretty good lenses, but wife favors the Canon. In test shots using the exact same settings for indoor usage and portraits, the Canon pictures just look a little richer. She says she has less post work to do later when using the Canon. That's just our thoughts.

Longbean said:   Hoogineer said:   How does this lens compare to the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM (which is still $299 on Amazon)?

I owned the EF 50mm f/1.4 and $299 new is a great price for that lens. From what I learned, some people like the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 better than the Canon because of the way the out of focus blur look (The quality of the Bokeh). It does not mean the Canon was bad, it is that, according to the reviews I read, the Sigma is a little creamier.

Take a look at this comparison.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma_50_1p4_c16/2

Keep in mind that the smallest aperture of the Sigma is f/16 vs f/22 in Canon. Of course, a lot of people do not use that small aperture (image quality affected due to diffraction for small aperture)

When I bought my Canon 50mm, the Sigma was 4 to 5 hundred bucks since it was just released back then. But for $354 now ... That deserve a serious look.

Great post. Nice comparison article. I wouldn't have realized that the internals were so different (extra element, extra diaphragm blade, ring USM). I wished dpreview had it written something similar in the 30 5mm range.

Hoogineer, did you order the lens from buydig? What is your experience if you already have it. I would love to get it at this price but I have two concerns:

1. Sigma does not list buydig as an authorized dealer....not sure if it matters much
2. The following Q&A on the buydig page

Q: does the lens include the sigma lens hood in the butdig.com package?
is the extended usa warantee by sigma usa?
Asked on 12/11/2012 by nife
Know the answer? Answer this question
1 answer

A: No, the buydig.com packages do not include a Sigma hood lens and the USA warranty is not by Sigma. There are two buydig.com packages and they are: Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Lens for Canon EOS - Pro Lens Kit , and the Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Lens for Canon EOS Lens Kit Bundle, these packages do not include a Sigma hood lens. The extended warranty is by MACK and it is good for 7 years for $1000 in coverage.
Answered on 12/11/2012 by Community Answer from None

Would like to confirm that it is not a grey market product before I order it. Can someone advise/confirm?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014