• Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

Hi-Point JHP .45 ACP 4.5" barrel 9 Rnds
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Any gun is better than no gun when you need one.

flylo (Feb. 14, 2013 @ 7:41p) |

My Hi Point shoots as well as my Glock 17. Does my Glock feel a whole lot better in the hand, yes, but i paid 3x the pr... (more)

TheEliteOne (Feb. 16, 2013 @ 8:31a) |

I own a Hi Point JCP among other guns. It is a fun gun. I bought it and took it to the range without cleaning/servic... (more)

Splitpi (Feb. 16, 2013 @ 7:02p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Butcher can you please comment on these in terms of reliability?

He may or may not have used these before. And although I appreciate him posting these deals (part of the reason why I green all of them when I come across them), I know the site where he pulls them from (slickguns.com, recommended!).

IMO it's a good idea to get reviews from multiple sources, such as blogs and Youtube. That's how I came to get my S&W M&P .40 Shield. I'm a new user to guns but look forward to the CCW class and going to the range.

opathal said:   Butcher can you please comment on these in terms of reliability?

***** Keep You Guns & Ammo Locked Up At All Times, ( Take A Class Always Be Safe ) *****

I am a Volunteer Range Officer

So from time to time I see Hi-Points come thrue are range

Pros
Price
Made In The USA
Fully Transferable Lifetime Warranty
If you spend some time reading the reviews of Hi-Point guns most of the real life owners like them.
There not $500 To $1000 Guns

Cons
There heavy
Some say they look like a brick
Some say they look Ugly
Non owners some times give them bad reviews ( But have they ever shot one ? Most will say no )
There not $500 To $1000 Guns

Reliability, A Lot of the reviews say there good.
Most owners here on FatWallet Say There good.

Yes I have tryed one in the 9mm it shot fine ( Nice tight group )

Will I buy one ? No, Hi-Points are not for me ( I like, Springfield XD , Glock, CZ & Kahr ) In that order.

I think best bang for the buck is a Springfield XD, But that just me.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1245745/
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1245962/

Butcher what's your advice for best .45 for your buck? Looking for a pistol I can use to hunt boar with.

I think these are decent enough guns, but man, are they fugly.....

soilderboy said:   Butcher what's your advice for best .45 for your buck? Looking for a pistol I can use to hunt boar with.

For me and for me only

I like the springfield xd .45 ACP service model
http://www.woodburyoutfitters.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode...

Also Glock has a nice .45
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1GLK21NSF

But I have a hard time with any 40 S&W Or .45 ACP
I have a bad wrist and arthritis in my hand So I stick to 9mm

I agree with b boy. The xd is a really sweet gun. I carry a Para Warthog .45. It's a bit heavy but a sweet gun

As far as the Hipoints goes. Yuck!! This thing is heavy and a plastic piece of junk

I have heard from many dealers they are reliable BUT they look and feel like a cordless power drill. If that doesn't bother you and you want a cheap gun for in your home. Go for it!

HiPoints are fun to shoot, but I can't recommend it for concealed carry or home defense. I've had them in 9mm and .45, and got rid of them after a few trips to the range. I prefer the Glocks and the S&W M&P lines for personal use, never had problems with either at all.

HiPoints don't feel natural in the hand due to being so "top heavy", and the grip isn't comfortable. Again, fun to shoot, but not very accurate (at least for my opinion). Still, better than nothing for home defense...but better get a lot of practice in with it...even more so though than any other brand I've used.

I have no problems handling the HP as I have large hands not small womanly hands that need small grip space and lightness to use a style of pistol with. Shoots as accurately as any of my other weapons tho I have had to get larger grips for most as they are too small and uncomfortable to use,the Glocks,Kimbers,Sigs all are for small handed folks, Colts aren't too bad, figures as they were developed for combat usage

i dont know how good or bad this pistol is but either way for the price it would certainly make an excellent home defense gun!
its cheap enough to have more then one where you could have them concealed in different areas of your home for quick access?

Northerner26 said:   i dont know how good or bad this pistol is but either way for the price it would certainly make an excellent home defense gun!
its cheap enough to have more then one where you could have them concealed in different areas of your home for quick access?

I think this gun would be fun to shoot, but come on dude, you don't live in a video game.

buster2 said:   I have no problems handling the HP as I have large hands not small womanly hands that need small grip space and lightness to use a style of pistol with. Shoots as accurately as any of my other weapons tho I have had to get larger grips for most as they are too small and uncomfortable to use,the Glocks,Kimbers,Sigs all are for small handed folks, Colts aren't too bad, figures as they were developed for combat usage

Glock, Kimber, and Sig give you other options from large to small. Not everyone likes the huge frame of the HiPoint.

what does a video game have to do with anything? i have a ranch style home and im in the basement a lot and what if someone broke in through the back door? i would be cut off from my gun i keep next to my bed so having another one in my 'man cave' makes sense to me.

Northerner26 said:   i dont know how good or bad this pistol is but either way for the price it would certainly make an excellent home defense gun!

I can freely admit that while I'm a gun owner, I'm not a gun connoisseur. However, living in Texas, I know plenty of people who are. When I was buying a gun, I shot probably ten to find the one that's most comfortable in hand and that I had natural accuracy with. If you're not poor and insecure like Buster up there, I recommend you go this route if you're looking to buy a gun for home defense. I'm also a believer in the old adage where you don't go cheap on personal safety items, such as parachutes, defibrillators, or a gun if its primary purpose is for self defense. If you want something for plinking, then by all means go for this (although a 9mm will be much cheaper to shoot per round).

If you get one, I highly recommend slipping on a $10 Hogue Handall grip sleeve; it makes a huge difference in the handling. The stock plastic grips are as slick as ice.

This gun is so inaccurate you'll be better off throwing it at the target than shooting at it. A simple google search will show just how inaccurate they are. Locked into a vice this gun cannot put 2 bullets in anywhere near the same location. It is garbage and thus sold for $100.

Northerner26 said:   what does a video game have to do with anything? i have a ranch style home and im in the basement a lot and what if someone broke in through the back door? i would be cut off from my gun i keep next to my bed so having another one in my 'man cave' makes sense to me.

It sounds like you have a steady stream of break-ins, or live in the midst of a zombie apocalypse. If I were you, I'd keep one in every room in the house, including the bathrooms, and two on my person. Who knows when you'll be sitting on the john and a zombie bursts through the door. Make sure to buy silver-tipped, garlic-soaked bullets too, just in case one of your many attackers is a vampire or werewolf.

Shot one of these a couple weeks ago. Friend of mine shot it really well, actually did better with it than my p229. I shot it about the same.

It's big and ugly. Very top heavy and the ergonomics are not all that great. But it went bang each time and had no function issues at all right out of the box through ~200 rounds, which is more than I can say for many pistols I have seen, both new and used.

My biggest objection is that as far as I could tell you have to knock a pin out to tear it down, and there are some odd action issues with it like needing to have a mag in it to close the action which I had a hard time with being used to sigs and glocks. So long as you train on it I see no issue with using one for home defense, though you may need a bigger nightstand to hold it.

Personally I would go with whatever version shoots the cheapest ammo. Seems a bit contradictory to me to focus on an inexpensive pistol in an expensive caliber. 9mm<.40<.45 in price around me. Regardless of what you buy you want to shoot it often if you would ever consider using it on anything but paper.

Friends don't let friends by Hi-Points.

Saw a local gunsmith refuse to repair one once, said it wasn't worth it. Just buy a new one he said. Probably right.

Taco said:   Friends don't let friends by Hi-Points.

Saw a local gunsmith refuse to repair one once, said it wasn't worth it. Just buy a new one he said. Probably right.

You dont need to take it to a gunsmith.

From there site.

The Hi-Point Warranty

All Hi-Point firearms carry a lifetime, "no-questions asked warranty." Whether you are the original purchaser, or the third-hand owner, your Hi-Point firearm will be repaired free of charge.

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/

Cost + lifetime warranty is pretty amazing to me. Personally, I dont need a gun to look sexy. I'm looking for a weapon, not a tool to attract guys to come talk to me about how sexy my gun is.

Gun snobs....The Carbine they make is dead accurate..

drupha said:   Northerner26 said:   i dont know how good or bad this pistol is but either way for the price it would certainly make an excellent home defense gun!

I can freely admit that while I'm a gun owner, I'm not a gun connoisseur. However, living in Texas, I know plenty of people who are. When I was buying a gun, I shot probably ten to find the one that's most comfortable in hand and that I had natural accuracy with. If you're not intelligent and good looking like Buster up there, I recommend you go this route if you're looking to buy a gun for home defense. I'm also a believer in the old adage where you don't go cheap on personal safety items, such as parachutes, defibrillators, or a gun if its primary purpose is for self defense. If you want something for plinking, then by all means go for this (although a 9mm will be much cheaper to shoot per round).

I agree whole heartedly,lol

There is a lifetime warranty? Who's life?

buster2 said:   drupha said:   Northerner26 said:   i dont know how good or bad this pistol is but either way for the price it would certainly make an excellent home defense gun!

I can freely admit that while I'm a gun owner, I'm not a gun connoisseur. However, living in Texas, I know plenty of people who are. When I was buying a gun, I shot probably ten to find the one that's most comfortable in hand and that I had natural accuracy with. If you're not intelligent and good looking like Buster up there, I recommend you go this route if you're looking to buy a gun for home defense. I'm also a believer in the old adage where you don't go cheap on personal safety items, such as parachutes, defibrillators, or a gun if its primary purpose is for self defense. If you want something for plinking, then by all means go for this (although a 9mm will be much cheaper to shoot per round).

I agree whole heartedly,lol

Yet, you still gave him a red above....???

So who cares, apparently only you,lol

buster2 said:   So who cares, apparently only you,lol

I'm just puzzled why you give so many negatives. Oh, lol!

I have to say that I typically suggest against Hipoint firearms, as they are sort of crude, and aren't as reliable as others. However, if this is all you can afford, then a Hipoint and several boxes of ammo to practice with makes for a safer, better shooter than a better pistol with just enough money left over for twenty rounds of ammo.

I do have experience with these guns, and they aren't all that bad. They work, they are heavy and a little clunky, but they aren't junk either. The lifetime warranty is absolutely legit, they support and stand behind their weapons unconditionally, which is always the case, especially when you are buying inexpensive products.

.40 back in stock

Buy it if you lifes only worth $160 bucks hahaha

I know several people who own and like Hi Points. They have a no-questions lifetime guarantee. I have a friend who bought one, shot it, took it apart to clean it and as near as I can understand from his story, he lost a piece when he reassembled it. He contacted Hi-Point. They sent him a postage-paid box, he put it in it, they got it back, cleaned it up very nicely, put the missing part in, and shipped it back to him, all at no cost. I don't own one myself, but I will eventually pick up the 9mm, just so I can try it out and have a valid talking point. It would make a good piece to leave in my truck or on the boat where I don't want my nicer/more expensive pieces to get in contact with salt moisture.

usadaytrader said:   Buy it if you lifes only worth $160 bucks hahaha

Pros
Price
Made In The USA
Fully Transferable Lifetime Warranty
If you spend some time reading the reviews of Hi-Point guns most of the real life owners like them.

Cons
There heavy
Some say they look like a brick
Some say they look Ugly
Non owners some times give them bad reviews ( But have they ever shot one ? Most will say no )

Reliability, A Lot of the reviews say there good.
Most owners here on FatWallet Say There good.

Sold Out.

I have the 9mm HIPoint. I keep it in the truck for emergency situations. It's heavy, ugly, and the trigger sucks. But it will still go boom when I need it to.

+1 for Springfield

Any gun is better than no gun when you need one.

My Hi Point shoots as well as my Glock 17. Does my Glock feel a whole lot better in the hand, yes, but i paid 3x the price of the Hi Point. Well worth the money if you want another gun around.

Dave

I own a Hi Point JCP among other guns. It is a fun gun. I bought it and took it to the range without cleaning/servicing the gun. Put about 150 rounds through it before I started getting FTF. Took it home, cleaned and lubed it. Went back to the range and shot another 100 with no issues what so ever. Infact I had to stop several times to help a friend with a new Glock 19 because it kept double feeding.

It is a $160 gun, it behaves likes a $160 gun. It is simple, easy operation and cleaning is fairly easy (except for the roll pin holding it together). I have found the gun is accurate as I can shoot. The weight of the gun actually helps to control recoil. It is a fugly $160 gun. But it works and I personally think it is a reliable firearm. Everyone keeps comparing it to a gun that costs 2 to 4 times its cost. Not a fair comparison.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014