• Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

Costco Coupons 01/02-01/27
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Any way for a NON member to use these? I need some tires. Any good loop holes you guys are aware of?

yaijic (Jan. 22, 2013 @ 12:32p) |

cg

cyruskaker12 (Jan. 22, 2013 @ 12:37p) |

Your "loop holes" are someone else paying your expenses.

Paying members should object if you're in front of them in lin... (more)

horizon6 (Jan. 22, 2013 @ 1:20p) |

FYI: Taxes on full amount prior to $ OFF.
On big ticket items, that makes a big difference such as TVs and SLR cameras.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

$70 back on Michelin tires

Are we allowed to print these out (new members can take up to 3 months to receive their 1st coupons) and use them in the store, or is this just for reference only?

ablang said:   Are we allowed to print these out (new members can take up to 3 months to receive their 1st coupons) and use them in the store, or is this just for reference only?

if you do not receive these in the mail you can always pick up at the warehouse locations never an issue, just show your membership card

archena said:   ablang said:   Are we allowed to print these out (new members can take up to 3 months to receive their 1st coupons) and use them in the store, or is this just for reference only?

if you do not receive these in the mail you can always pick up at the warehouse locations never an issue, just show your membership card

I also get extra ones at Costco

They never care. At the checkout if you mention you forgot your coupon book in car they will scan some random coupon and it will take of all you items in you cart that are coupon eligible.

Does anyone know if Moter Oil works in a gas combustion engine?

For those that don't know!

Beware that my costco as well as costco.com charges tax on full ammount prior to $ OFF. I wanted to buy one of the SLR camera recently and it was $500 off at costco but tax was on full amount. Other places including Sams, bestbuy etc, all list the same price they they don't add the $500 when taxing you.

qalam said:   For those that don't know!

Beware that my costco as well as costco.com charges tax on full ammount prior to $ OFF. I wanted to buy one of the SLR camera recently and it was $500 off at costco but tax was on full amount. Other places including Sams, bestbuy etc, all list the same price they they don't add the $500 when taxing you.

This is normally decided by your state law, not by the store.

ablang said:   Are we allowed to print these out (new members can take up to 3 months to receive their 1st coupons) and use them in the store, or is this just for reference only?

Like you said it's for reference only. These days members do not need to give coupons at the time of purchase. And moreover, the cashiers use their own coupon. Since all the coupons are same, the coupon scan applies to all applicable coupons on your receipt.

Badfishlbc said:   Does anyone know if Moter Oil works in a gas combustion engine?
what do you mean by gas combustion engine? 2 stroke (cycle) or 4 stroke (cycle)? this stuff is intended for 4 stroke (cycle) but is usable (substitutable) in SOME 2 stroke (cycle). especially older stuff.

Not seeing to many bargains (at least nothing I use).

lexx said:   Badfishlbc said:   Does anyone know if Moter Oil works in a gas combustion engine?
what do you mean by gas combustion engine? 2 stroke (cycle) or 4 stroke (cycle)? this stuff is intended for 4 stroke (cycle) but is usable (substitutable) in SOME 2 stroke (cycle). especially older stuff.

My car has a gas combustion engine. Just wondering if this Moter Oil stuff works in it... Never used it before...

my local store does not even ask for coupons..they by default apply them for every one. which is very good.
all eligible items on the receipt are discounted.

Yes just pour the oil in with your next fill up

bozo007 said:   qalam said:   For those that don't know!

It is also stated on the coupon that the tax will be charged according to local and state law.

http://i.imgur.com/5tQqt.png

I doubt it. I bought my Nikon D7000 with 18-200 lens for $1499.99 after 550 off, I was going to buy it from Costco for peace of mind, went through check out and had to be charged huge CA sales tax on $2049 and -550. Well Amazon has the same camera for 1499, Sams Club has the same camera for 1497.00 also after 550 off. Taxes is calculated on 1497. I have both sams and costco so I went with Sams Club. The same thing happenned to my Samsung TV I purchased, I purchased it for 1400 after 700 off with FULL taxes on 21000. Well turns out I overpaid.

I understand rebates get charged taxes but instant off? or price cuts, also getting charged on retail price?

I bought a HONDA accord recently with $3000 of MSRP with $1000 rebate from honda, I did NOT get charged taxes on MSRP. They may or may not be keeping the extra money but its a disadvantage that people should be aware of for same ticket items like the NIKON and some TVs, computers and printers. These days Costco is playing that game of $$$'s off with every Single item.

The sale tax is determined by how the discount was set up between the retailer and the manufacturer.

Board of Equalization - Publication 113

At Costco, they do charge tax on the full amount, not subtracting the coupons, at least here in Michigan. These are "instant savings / rebates" and "coupons". The coupons say on them that sales tax may be charged depending on laws. Here in Michigan they are charged tax. I haven't gone back to see if they are charged on the instant savings, and not on the coupons, or vice versa. But coupons in a grocery store are just deducted at the end, after tax on the full amount. Rebates you mail in got charged tax on the full amount. So an instant "rebate" would get treated the same way. Nothing is "on sale" at Costco.

For the recommendation to buy elsewhere to save paying that tax, you need to make sure you take into account the ENTIRE package, including Costco's return policy, warranty, and support. It may be better to pay tax on that $500 discount and get Costco's free telephone support for your grandmother's new computer, or for that large screen TV. And the ability to bring most items back whenever for whatever reason is clearly an advantage worth considering.

Also, if you're an Executive Member, that 2% rebate of most things they sell (excludes gas, alcohol, cash cards), you need to take that into account. The breakeven for the incremental $55 charge is $2,750 in a year, but if you don't hit it you can get a refund of the fee and then get it applied to the next year, so there is no reason NOT to get it (unless you don't like the hassle, which as a FWer would be an oxymoron). If you end up buying a home generator or an central air conditioner, you'd be happy you took it.

xhsiao said:   The sale tax is determined by how the discount was set up between the retailer and the manufacturer.

Board of Equalization - Publication 113

I am not a lawyer, the wording may be vague but instant rebates or cash discounts are not taxable. I agree Costco may have a different rebate agreement than Amazon or best buy or Sams Club.

EradicateSpam said:   At Costco, they do charge tax on the full amount, not subtracting the coupons, at least here in Michigan. These are "instant savings / rebates" and "coupons". The coupons say on them that sales tax may be charged depending on laws. Here in Michigan they are charged tax. I haven't gone back to see if they are charged on the instant savings, and not on the coupons, or vice versa. But coupons in a grocery store are just deducted at the end, after tax on the full amount. Rebates you mail in got charged tax on the full amount. So an instant "rebate" would get treated the same way. Nothing is "on sale" at Costco.

For the recommendation to buy elsewhere to save paying that tax, you need to make sure you take into account the ENTIRE package, including Costco's return policy, warranty, and support. It may be better to pay tax on that $500 discount and get Costco's free telephone support for your grandmother's new computer, or for that large screen TV. And the ability to bring most items back whenever for whatever reason is clearly an advantage worth considering.

Also, if you're an Executive Member, that 2% rebate of most things they sell (excludes gas, alcohol, cash cards), you need to take that into account. The breakeven for the incremental $55 charge is $2,750 in a year, but if you don't hit it you can get a refund of the fee and then get it applied to the next year, so there is no reason NOT to get it (unless you don't like the hassle, which as a FWer would be an oxymoron). If you end up buying a home generator or an central air conditioner, you'd be happy you took it.

I ended up buying my Nikon d7000 from SamsClub precisely because they have a very similar structure when it comes to support and returns. I do agree that the extra value you get at times at costco must be weighed in. However there is a point that sometimes I look at a certain product, and I have to wonder if it is worth it, especially if it is an online purchase. When you go to the club, it is hard to resist that new product or a specific promotion that only costco is running.

Also no hassle Return policy for most electronics is 90 days, similar to WalMart, sams club, target and maybe a few other retailers.
*Costco recently would not price adjust my TV after 30 days, Almost forced me to take it off my wall, return it and rebuy it after 41 days of purchase. A manager had to be called and I had to tell them, do you really want me to return it and buy it, all for $100?? They finaly gave in. But that NO HASSLE thing with costco has a new meaning after my experience with price adjustment.

I do love getting my gas at costco with my AMEX. Cheaper gas and pays for the higher priced membership.

I highly doubt it's state law. Since they classify this as an "instant rebate" it applies after tax, they could have just said its "instant off" and then it could be before tax. I have no idea why they did this, it must work out better for them tax-wise. Maybe they can claim it as a tax deduction instead of just making less revenue. That could inflate there stock price if they have more $'s in sales, and make them appear larger.

Each state determines how to tax goods. In Michigan, goods are taxed on the pre-coupon amount.

Too many here masquerading as non-lawyers and non-accountants. But it's said that if you put two of those in a room you can can get three interpretations of the law.

Too many comparisons here ignoring differences between sales and use taxes, locations, and jurisdictional laws. It may be that Costco could negotiate and implement a more sales tax favorable situation for members or may have a valid reasons for contributing to the tax/maintenance of the localities where it exists and services. Somebody could ask Costco before assuming various answers.

It certainly is reasonable to expect acts responsibly based on its history. It certainly is unreasonable to imply that Costco behaves like the home service companies that call you with a hidden caller-id when your number is on the Do-Not-Call list offering a special price because they'll be in your neighborhood or that it uses financial methods used by some Madoff services.

Tax law, including sales tax law, is not simple and varies by state and municipality. Please, get the facts, before condemning.

horizon6 said:   Too many here masquerading as non-lawyers and non-accountants. But it's said that if you put two of those in a room you can can get three interpretations of the law.

Too many comparisons here ignoring differences between sales and use taxes, locations, and jurisdictional laws. It may be that Costco could negotiate and implement a more sales tax favorable situation for members or may have a valid reasons for contributing to the tax/maintenance of the localities where it exists and services. Somebody could ask Costco before assuming various answers.

It certainly is reasonable to expect acts responsibly based on its history. It certainly is unreasonable to imply that Costco behaves like the home service companies that call you with a hidden caller-id when your number is on the Do-Not-Call list offering a special price because they'll be in your neighborhood or that it uses financial methods used by some Madoff services.

Tax law, including sales tax law, is not simple and varies by state and municipality. Please, get the facts, before condemning.

Nice of you to point that out. I wonder why I didn't think of just going over to costco and asking them why they charge tax on a TV that is $700 off when I can easily buy the same item for the same price without the tax on $700. Costco is making you feel like they are saving you $2 here, $550 off there, where the same item can be had else where for the same price without the tax. d7000 example vs d7000 at costco but with added tax. Same locality, same "Jurisdiction", same CA state. The store managers didn't know anything, now if you would be kind and help us out with a number or address where I could send an inquiry beyond their web site.

I did not know when I bought my tv that they would charge sales tax on $700 they so kindly took off. I just wanted others to know here that they will be paying tax. What costco does is their business, and I don't care when I buy cereal at costco, but I do care if I buy a $1500 camera or TV.

qalam said:   horizon6 said:   Too many here masquerading as non-lawyers and non-accountants. But it's said that if you put two of those in a room you can can get three interpretations of the law.

You're quite welcome

Although the information is not hidden, for simplicity here is what you wanted:

The CEO is:
Craig Jelinek

Corporate Address is:
Costco Wholesale
999 Lake Drive
Issaquah, WA 98027

and

Web Form for Customer Service Questions and Comments

qalam said:   EradicateSpam said:   At Costco, they do charge tax on the full amount, not subtracting the coupons, at least here in Michigan. These are "instant savings / rebates" and "coupons". The coupons say on them that sales tax may be charged depending on laws. Here in Michigan they are charged tax. I haven't gone back to see if they are charged on the instant savings, and not on the coupons, or vice versa. But coupons in a grocery store are just deducted at the end, after tax on the full amount. Rebates you mail in got charged tax on the full amount. So an instant "rebate" would get treated the same way. Nothing is "on sale" at Costco.

I ended up buying my Nikon d7000 from SamsClub precisely because they have a very similar structure when it comes to support and returns. I do agree that the extra value you get at times at costco must be weighed in. However there is a point that sometimes I look at a certain product, and I have to wonder if it is worth it, especially if it is an online purchase. When you go to the club, it is hard to resist that new product or a specific promotion that only costco is running.

Also no hassle Return policy for most electronics is 90 days, similar to WalMart, sams club, target and maybe a few other retailers.
*Costco recently would not price adjust my TV after 30 days, Almost forced me to take it off my wall, return it and rebuy it after 41 days of purchase. A manager had to be called and I had to tell them, do you really want me to return it and buy it, all for $100?? They finaly gave in. But that NO HASSLE thing with costco has a new meaning after my experience with price adjustment.

I do love getting my gas at costco with my AMEX. Cheaper gas and pays for the higher priced membership.

So why not list for others and you shop at the stores that give more than 30 day price guarantees? Why complain about a retailer that is very good at standing-by its very generous policies and going beyond as necessary to support its members/customers and good business practices - including that you could have bought another and returned it within the 90 day policy of the original receipt?

horizon6 said:   

So why not list for others and you shop at the stores that give more than 30 day price guarantees? Why complain about a retailer that is very good at standing-by its very generous policies and going beyond as necessary to support its members/customers and good business practices - including that you could have bought another and returned it within the 90 day policy of the original receipt?

What you are saying does not make sense!
First I am saying there might be one or two good deals in the above booklet of coupons. Second People should be aware that if they are going to buy a computer, TV, couch, they are paying tax on that dollar off ammount.
In any case, Its my opinion and I bet most people agree, some retailers do not tax cash discounts. I have given examples. Costco store is littered with instant cash off discounts which is no more than marketing scheme rather than rare good deals. The money you pay extra is more than the 2% you get back with executive membership which barely covers the $100 membership fee. I have known costco since 1990 and they used to have life time return policy and it was great peace of mind, but now its just like WalMart/Target/sams but with higher prices.
Being an experienced fatwallet user, you should know the difference. Lets not argue how great or bad costco is, it is what it is.

qalam said:   

horizon6 said:   

qalam said:   
What you are saying does not make sense!
First I am saying there might be one or two good deals in the above booklet of coupons. Second People should be aware that if they are going to buy a computer, TV, couch, they are paying tax on that dollar off ammount.

In any case, Its my opinion and I bet most people agree, some retailers do not tax cash discounts. I have given examples. Costco store is littered with instant cash off discounts which is no more than marketing scheme rather than rare good deals. The money you pay extra is more than the 2% you get back with executive membership which barely covers the $100 membership fee. I have known costco since 1990 and they used to have life time return policy and it was great peace of mind, but now its just like WalMart/Target/sams but with higher prices.
Being an experienced fatwallet user, you should know the difference. Lets not argue how great or bad costco is, it is what it is.

horizon6 said:   
You are defaming Costco when you simply lump it in with the others as you do and when you make generalized statements. It is because some abused Costco return policy in the past that they were forced to returns of some electronics to 90 days but to make up for that they added in the product life concierge service and then offered low priced extended warranties. It is also likely that Costco return policy forced others to try poor copycats of it. Tax is itemized on the receipt. Many sales tax laws are inherently unfair. If you think Costco is applying it wrong, question it at the Corporate level; maybe as member you can give them a better idea. But, it is a business that in addition to caring for staff and customers must earn a return for investors to stay in business. You said they observed their price adjustment policy and when you complained that you wanted it extended in your case beyond the standard period they complied and yet you still complain. No argument!

Good Lord, my eyes actually hurt after reading. Some of you need a spellcheck for Christmas.

* Anticipated reactionary retort - something about the grammar or spelling police...

* My reply - Only dumb@asses have nothing to say besides that. STAY IN SCHOOL! JUST SAY NO TO DRUGS!

i never got charged tax on the full amount it's always the tax on the amount paid after discount. this has been the case forever, even when i got my first plasma 7 years ago from costco with $300 instant coupon. so I dont know what you guys are talking about with taxing the full amount. that only makes sense for mail-in rebate. I'm in TX so maybe other state or county has different schemes, but i'd think most retailers would balk at wildly differing rules.

hard2hold said:   Good Lord, my eyes actually hurt after reading. Some of you need a spellcheck for Christmas.

* Anticipated reactionary retort - something about the grammar or spelling police...

* My reply - Only dumb@asses have nothing to say besides that. STAY IN SCHOOL! JUST SAY NO TO DRUGS!

Be careful about the certainty of what you assume or anticipate.

* Webster's says the word is "spell-check" - your misspelling of the similar non-word is even noted as such by FW.

* Happy holidays!

SteelRing said:   i never got charged tax on the full amount it's always the tax on the amount paid after discount. this has been the case forever, even when i got my first plasma 7 years ago from costco with $300 instant coupon. so I dont know what you guys are talking about with taxing the full amount. that only makes sense for mail-in rebate. I'm in TX so maybe other state or county has different schemes, but i'd think most retailers would balk at wildly differing rules.

Retailers do balk, but sales taxes are applied in states and local municipalities in accordance with THEIR local laws. Sales taxes do vary, even within some states and within some counties.

Some of you do not understand the difference between a MANUFACTURER coupon, where the retailed adjusts for the coupon BEFORE applyign sales tax, and a reseller "coupon/rebate", where they must LEGALLY collect the full price before tax is applied.

pumpkin pie bump!

So no tire deal in January?

January
Disclaimer
csr said:   So no tire deal in January?

You mean like the Michelin things in the image attached here?

Anybody knows if the mattress is good? Want something firm.

Skipping 14 Messages...
yaijic said:   Any way for a NON member to use these? I need some tires. Any good loop holes you guys are aware of?

Your "loop holes" are someone else paying your expenses.

Paying members should object if you're in front of them in line, although you may not want to admit to your actions.

The membership fee is the profit margin that keeps Costco in business. The Warehouses operate, with low prices, well treated staff and well treated customers, approximately "at cost".

Of course, one "loop hole" would be for you to pay for a membership.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014