• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

USB 2.0 Port
Disclaimer

Screen
Disclaimer
I've been thinking about the Samsung 15" Series 9 ever since I saw an open box at a local store that went for $1200 (but it had a couple scratches that made me pass)...then I happened on this Amazon deal. Its $100 off retail price and with the gift card its below the open box item I saw. This might just make me pull the trigger.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0098O6JSQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_...

You have to use the Add both to Cart link below and then go through checkout to see the $100 being subtracted from the order total.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0098O6JSQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_...

Some of the specs listed in the Amazon section are wrong...this laptop has 802.11N (as the product description specifies). Samsung site also mentions one model with 3xUSB3.0 but the image and description mention only 2xUSB3.0+1xUSB2.0...I'm not sure what you're going to get. This laptop launched with 2x 3.0 + 1x 2.0 config last year but that was with 2nd gen Intel procs. This model here shows Core i5-3317U which is a 3rd gen as I recall.

And yes, this beats the pants off of a MacBook Air.

Member Summary

NP900X4C-A06US
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer

NP900X4C-A06US
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer

NP900X4C-A06US
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Bump. No takers?

Maybe if you had put the word "Ultrabook" in the title (such as "15-Inch Ultrabook"), more people would have looked in here.

Still a lot of $$$.

TheDiggler said:   Maybe if you had put the word "Ultrabook" in the title (such as "15-Inch Ultrabook"), more people would have looked in here.

Done.

optical said:   Still a lot of $$$.

Please, what are you comparing it to? For a 15" Ultrabook that is about the best laptop (not just best ultrabook) that you can find this is a great deal at $1199 which is the same as a entry level price for a 13" MacBook Air with 4GB RAM, only 2 USB 3.0 ports and only a SDHC slot.

I have one, and I think most people will also want to budget a bit more for a M4 256 mSata drive. Its slightly more complicated, but a $10 msata to sata adapter will make it simple (cloning, I couldn't get the include CD to run in English).

I've been running bootcamp on macbook pros for a very long time. I never booted mac and wanted a larger screen, the SS9 was the best of class I could fund in this price range. The trackpad on this SS9 is now better with improved drivers, but does have more quirks than the MBP trackpad. (both have quirks). The SS9 has the special 8 gig quick intel based wakeup partition. It's supposed to allow for extended sleep with no battery drain. It's actually difficult to know if thats enabled and working. But, it does lose more battery in sleep than the MBP for me. Yes, it loses more without the Intel Rapid Wakeup enabled. I dont like that it doesnt remember volume settings with speakers vs headphones like a W7 on a MBP. When you first get it, the Samsung/Intel/windows power features will be fighting each other. When the screen dims and what happens with the power button are alittle inconsistent. But that will get sorted with a bit of use, and a firmware update.

TheWalL said:   optical said:   Still a lot of $$$.

For a 15" Ultrabook that is about the best laptop (not just best ultrabook) that you can find this is a great deal at $1199 which is the same as a entry level price for a 13" MacBook Air with 4GB RAM, only 2 USB 3.0 ports and only a SDHC slot.

Not sure if I would call this the best laptop. If you don't mind the size and weight, you can get Dell's M4600 or its bigger sibling M6600 for the same price with better specs. The M4600/M6600 is a true desktop replacement that is designed for Photoshop, CAD use, etc. It is so massive (and rugged) that you can install up to 3 HDDs and and mSATA. You can hook it up with 3-4 external monitors...There is a 50% off code in the coupon section (exp Jan 2013) if anyone wants one.

Those Dell's weigh 3X as much and are 3X as thick.

This is like comparing an SUV to a sports car. Totally different market of buyers.

brentpresley said:   Those Dell's weigh 3X as much and are 3X as thick.

This is like comparing an SUV to a sports car. Totally different market of buyers.

I was responding to the OP's claim that the Samsung was the best laptop.

Just throwing in another option if anyone is looking for an ultrabook. The Zenbook UX32VD-DH71 is currently on sale for $1,160.

The Zenbook is not a perfect apples to apples comparison since it is smaller (13.3"), but I consider Zenbook and Series 9 the top two ultra books.

The Asus Zenbook UX32VD-DH71 is lighter at 3.2 pounds, comes with a 1920x1080 IPS screen, has a 3rd gen i7 cpu, and has a dedicated video card. Also, this specific model can be upgraded to 10GB ram (total), and can be upgraded to any 7mm SSD.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891134-REG/BI/865/KBID/117...

Dell makes lousy products now. I'd take either of those over a Dell any day. And if you are buying an ultrabook - heavier and thicker is a big difference. Now if this is a really good price, meh.

This is now $1,099.99 on Amazon (no gift card). Just started looking for a Series 9, anyone aware of better deals now or expected later in the month?

lanation said:   This is now $1,099.99 on Amazon (no gift card). Just started looking for a Series 9, anyone aware of better deals now or expected later in the month?

FWIW: While I on my quest for a 13" ultrabook about a month ago, I came across this model at Amazon warehouse deals for close to $800 (like-new). I settled for my Asus UX31A also bought from Amazon Warehouse deal in like new condition. It was a refurbished unit with a refurbished Windows licensed, but looks and feels brand new.

thank you for the info

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014