• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

3M 39045 Headlight Renewal Kit
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
In case someone selects Subscribe and Save, their first delivery won't be till Jan 15th or later. What this means is that Amazon won't charge the card till a few days before that date, hence putting the rebate form null and void since it states "Offer good 10/1/12 - 12/31/12"

In simple words unless you can show your purchase was made on or before 12/31/12 (meaning your card was charged), rebate will not be a coming

Note: Look for a link towards the left top of the page (once you are in the page with all your subscribe and save orders) that allows you to change the delivery date for all of the orders. Change it to 1st of the month and you will be good to use the rebate form
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

$15.99 before rebate. Subscribe & save brings it down to $13.59

You may want to reword your post and title to mention "Subcribe and Save" and correct price. My $.02.

corrected. Thanks

This works great. I did mine about 6 months ago and they still look like new. I went ahead and ordered another one just in case.

$5.59 is a good price, if you want to be more frugal, try using toothpaste to clean the headlights, worked on one of my cars, but not on the other.

Subscribe and save sets the first delivery at January 15th and this means they will not charge the account till the 8th or 10th of January. But, the rebate form says the purchase has to be before 12/31/2012.

OP, I think you need to take the rebate form mention off for anyone using Subscribe and save.

I have used a similar one from 3M. Works awesome! It does require some elbow-grease, but results are awesome.

Only negative is that it makes my entire car look lot older now and the lights brand spanking new! Come on 3M...do some magic on my car too!

In for 2, thanks

shihkang said:   $5.59 is a good price, if you want to be more frugal, try using toothpaste to clean the headlights, worked on one of my cars, but not on the other.

change the tooth paste..it might work

wait a minute, don't you get an invoice dated today even if you don't charged when it's shipped? Shouldn't this work for rebate?

Such GREAT reviews on Amazon!
It's funny, because, I just went with a friend 2 days ago to Bell Tire to see if they would install the completely new set
of headlamps she bought. They said it would take many hours! She now plans on trying to install them herself, because
The company she bought the replacement headlights on eBay, made a video explaining how to install them.
I just emailed her this thread hoping she will just buy/use this product, and send back her replacement headlamps and get a refund!!

From Consumer Reports March 2012:

Sylvania Headlight Restoration Kit ($21)

The Sylvania Headlight Restoration Kit provided the greatest improvement in illumination and appearance with no noticeable degradation over time. It involves a total of six steps, including progressively finer grades of emery paper, rinsing, and a final coat of UV-blocking polymer coating that is best applied with rubber gloves and in a well-ventilated area. Applied entirely by hand, it reduces the risk of damage to surrounding paint. The Sylvania sanding papers are larger than those included with some other products, making them easier to use, but best results do require some effort.

3M Headlight Lens Restoration System 29008 ($15)

The 3M Headlight Lens Restoration System worked almost as well as the Sylvania, with greatly improved lighting and appearance, and no noticeable degradation. It requires fewer steps than the Sylvania, for a total of four overall, but more polishing is required. The kit includes sanding disks that attach to an electric drill. While do-it-yourselfers comfortable with power tools might prefer this method of application, it does require a steady hand, some bravery, and masking tape to avoid damaging surrounding paint. Curved lenses can be particularly tricky.

I have the 3M kit sitting in the garage from an O'reillys Auto Parts deal @ $9.99 a few months ago.

I have not used it yet, because as noted above, it does require quite a bit of prep work (masking, protecting nearby painted surfaces, etc) and my headlights are only slightly frosted. Lastly, most people experienced with doing this suggest some sort of UV protectant afterwards, since you'll be stripping off whatever is there to start with.

Out of curiosity, instead of worrying about taping off the surrounding paint surface and worrying about ruining the paint when doing the headlights, can't one just go ahead and pop the headlight off the car? I know that with my car, all I have to do is a) unscrew one bolt b) pull out the power cord feeding the lamp assembly and c) jiggle the assembly to pop it out. Probably takes way less time to do that than to bother with the tape.

PsychoFan said:   Out of curiosity, instead of worrying about taping off the surrounding paint surface and worrying about ruining the paint when doing the headlights, can't one just go ahead and pop the headlight off the car? I know that with my car, all I have to do is a) unscrew one bolt b) pull out the power cord feeding the lamp assembly and c) jiggle the assembly to pop it out. Probably takes way less time to do that than to bother with the tape.

Bad idea...

A) This tape is made for easy pull off. Will not harm paint finish.

B) When you remove a headlight, it will have to be re-aligned when you put it back in to make sure you can see the road. Most people don't know how to do that.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014