• 1 23458
  • Page
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

store display
Disclaimer
I ran across these lights on a trip to Costco. For ~$25 a pop, I figured what the hell, I'd give them a shot. 1200 lumens, 18 watt, 3000k color temp. Rated for 31 years at 3 hours per day usage. Fits 5 or 6 inch can lights. Dimmable. Installation took a couple of minutes per light. These things are BRIGHT. My kitchen is like standing in a field at 12 noon.

I can't find the product number on Costco's website anywhere, so YMMV as it may be store to store stock. Best I can find for just screw in light bulbs have been in the $30-$40 range and that is only for 700-800 lumens. Again, these are BRIGHT.

Costco product number 695680. Got mine at the Costco in Charlotte, NC.

Mike

Member Summary

LED Retrofit Can Lite
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I like the t65 it does 3 things.

1. Electric savings are huge. Last two customers houses the savings over the life of bu... (more)

edenenergysolutions (Jan. 23, 2014 @ 5:43p) |

Just picked up 4 of the Costco Luminous Retro 23W LED highhats for $13.99 each. Must have been a return. They look brand... (more)

MarioD (Apr. 22, 2014 @ 5:31p) |

Where, oh where, did you get this bargain?

vadeltachi (Apr. 22, 2014 @ 7:13p) |

Box packaging states that most incandescent dimmers will work and that these units will dim down to 10%. That being said, there is a list of officially tested dimmers by the manufacturer:

Lutron CN-600PHW, D-603PG, DVCL-153PG2, DVLV-600P, DVW-603PG, DVW-603PGH, GL-600P, S-600PR, S-603PGH, S2-LH, TG-600PR, TG-603PGH
Leviton 6631, 6631-L1, 6633-P, 6683, 6681, 6684, IPI06

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Looks very interesting! Not Feit Electronics, good light output, easy retrofit, cheap, and if it sucks... it's Costco so easy return.

ezwrighter said:   Looks very interesting! Not Feit Electronics, good light output, easy retrofit, cheap, and if it sucks... it's Costco so easy return.

Definitely doesn't suck! Home Depot also carries a very similar one "Commercial Electric T65" also a great light (use it in our kitchen). So bright my wife made me add a dimmer. The only differences I can see between the two is that this one uses 10.5 watts vs 18 watts. And I think it throws more side light (bottom of bulb is flush with ceiling not recessed.) Another thing I like about this type of light is that it's rated safe to be in contact with your attic insulation. Safe for outdoor installations also.

Nice picture of your kitchen, Neilium. It's great to see what they actually look like installed. Thanks!

At 3000K, these are not in the white range. These have yellowish hue, if anyone cares about that.

http://static.zoovy.com/img/ledinsider/-/chart/colorchart2

My wife pointed these out to me yesterday. Can anyone explain how these are better than just putting in an LED flood bulb (such as the PAR38)? There seems to be a two-prong cable that connects to a standard bulb socket in this kit. Do other bulbs use this connection? Costco doesn't normally sell a whole lot of useless stuff, I'm seriously trying to understand the point.

Are they instant on, or do they need time to warm up like the CFLS

Mentle said:   My wife pointed these out to me yesterday. Can anyone explain how these are better than just putting in an LED flood bulb (such as the PAR38)? There seems to be a two-prong cable that connects to a standard bulb socket in this kit. Do other bulbs use this connection? Costco doesn't normally sell a whole lot of useless stuff, I'm seriously trying to understand the point.

Per OP...."Best I can find for just screw in light bulbs have been in the $30-$40 range and that is only for 700-800 lumens."

So these are brighter and cheaper than your screw-in bulb it would appear.

how many watts is this equivalent to?

These are instant on and as previously noted they are very bright.

I've been researching LED canister lights for a while now and what I've read is that one problem with just screwing in an LED bulb to a regular housing is the heat can greatly reduce the longevity of the bulbs (I've seen this in the bathroom canisters we have but the bulbs were cheap and we did it before LED retrofits were around). And no LED's do not need to warm up like CFLS. That's one of the big advantages to LEDs for me. Might pick a few of these up for the bathroom and try them out.

jimbocobb said:   
Per OP...."Best I can find for just screw in light bulbs have been in the $30-$40 range and that is only for 700-800 lumens."

Thanks. I've been poking around and see one of the drawbacks of the LED floods is that they are more of a spot than a flood. This kit seems to have some sort of lens that might disperse the beam a bit better but I haven't found any straight up comparisons. I have a new addition going in with I think around 20 recessed cans. I test fitted one of the PAR38 LEDs that were at Costco and it seems like it should work, but the electricity isn't live yet. Maybe I need to pick up a couple more and some of these kits and compare them once things are a little further along.

HyperX said:   At 3000K, these are not in the white range. These have yellowish hue, if anyone cares about that.

Incandescent/Halogen lamps are in the 2700K range. 3000K of this LED is close to that warm color, not quite as warm but close. You don't want ones above 3000K (3500k+) for your home or it will seem too "cold" or "blue". Most people want the look of the incandescent.

With that said, I am highly doubtful that these LED fixtures at $25 a pop is of any quality or will last the 35,000hrs that they stated but maybe "ok" for residential use for those who cannot justify spending a lot of money. "Good" commercial/specification grade LED downlights are easily $100-$250 each.

HyperX said:   At 3000K, these are not in the white range. These have yellowish hue, if anyone cares about that.

If the 3000 degree Kelvin is an accurate rating, they would be approximately color equivalent to typical halogen light bulbs which are generally considered close to "white". If they are visibly yellow, they actually may be closer to 2700 degrees Kelvin which would be similar to a typical incandescent light bulb. As your chart shows, the higher the actual degrees Kelvin, the more "blue" in the light and many are probably familiar with the common relative inexpensive and efficient "cool white" (approx. 4200 degree Kelvin as shown by your chart) 4' long florescent tube that has a blue tint to it. Of course, measurements and perceptions are not equivalent when it comes to color.

Would be interested to find out any Costco Warehouse locations where the local utility is offering a "rebate" on these.

Not sure about the OP's light but the one at Home Depot has no yellowish hue (Commercial Electric T65). 65 watt equivalent 10.5 watts and is much brighter than I expected it to be. Wife made me add dimmer.

good enough for my basement, at least worth a try!!

squanderer said:   how many watts is this equivalent to?

OP stated 18 watts. It is equivalent to 18 watts.

If your question is regarding light output, not measured by watts, but by lumens, then based on OP's report of the lumen rating of this bulb/fixture, it would be approximately equivalent to the light output of something in the range of a 75 watt incandescent Type A light bulb.

Of course, light pattern matters as well. The light from a bulb is dispersed and observed based on its design and that of the fixture in which it is installed. A narrow dispersion may make a light appear brighter than one of equal output with a wider dispersion pattern when viewed from the same distance.

wdigeorge said:   HyperX said:   At 3000K, these are not in the white range. These have yellowish hue, if anyone cares about that.

Incandescent/Halogen lamps are in the 2700K range. 3000K of this LED is close to that warm color, not quite as warm but close. You don't want ones above 3000K (3500k+) for your home or it will seem too "cold" or "blue". Most people want the look of the incandescent.

With that said, I am highly doubtful that these LED fixtures at $25 a pop is of any quality or will last the 35,000hrs that they stated but maybe "ok" for residential use for those who cannot justify spending a lot of money. "Good" commercial/specification grade LED downlights are easily $100-$250 each.

I don't necessarily agree - while a "good" commercial LED downlight by Omega, Pathway, Gotham or Focal Point might run $200-$250, the re-branded Cree retrofit LED that Home Depot has sold for as little as $22.xx is of very good quality. I know that Halo is making some decent retrofit LED product for much less than $100 that is very good quality, and Juno is making some amazing product aimed at the residential market for under $100. With that said, I'd be interested in seeing how this particular LED retrofit performs. I love everything about Costco except for their decision to partner with Feit and "Lights of America" for their CFLs and LED bulbs, so I am skeptical.

Mentle said:   jimbocobb said:   

Thanks. I've been poking around and see one of the drawbacks of the LED floods is that they are more of a spot than a flood. This kit seems to have some sort of lens that might disperse the beam a bit better but I haven't found any straight up comparisons. I have a new addition going in with I think around 20 recessed cans. I test fitted one of the PAR38 LEDs that were at Costco and it seems like it should work, but the electricity isn't live yet. Maybe I need to pick up a couple more and some of these kits and compare them once things are a little further along.

Sorry, but why would you install incandescent cans new in your remodel and then retrofit them, especially with retrofit PARs? I know it's none of my business, but if I was doing a remodel that included a bunch of cans, I would be looking for something meant for LED...
Juno LED recessed lights

manufacturer's packaging
Disclaimer
Here's a picture of the packaging. The manufacturer lists this as equivalent to 120w flood light.

As for color temp... at 3000k, these list as Bright White... which do not have the yellow feel that "Warm White" or "Soft White" bulbs have. To me the are nice and white.. without the Blueness of a 4000k+ light.

Mike

Any idea if these are suitable for wet/damp locations? It says "indoor or outdoor" use, but others I've seen specifically state whether they are suitable as, say, a downlight in the shower.

Mentle said:   My wife pointed these out to me yesterday. Can anyone explain how these are better than just putting in an LED flood bulb (such as the PAR38)? There seems to be a two-prong cable that connects to a standard bulb socket in this kit. Do other bulbs use this connection? Costco doesn't normally sell a whole lot of useless stuff, I'm seriously trying to understand the point.

Reason #1 - by using this, as opposed to the PAR retrofit lamps, you are also replacing, and possibly upgrading the 'trim' in your cans. My house was build in the early '90s, and the cans had black baffles and ivory trim rings, awful stuff. I retrofitted with the re-branded Home Depot Cree LEDs and they look much nicer.

Reason #2 - a good percentage of the retrofit PAR lamps out there are junk. I've never seen this particular retrofit, but most of the others that I've seen have been very good quality. Also, for the most part, the retrofit assemblies are also going to do a better job in distributing light than the PAR LED bulbs, which seem to be more of a spot distribution. If you are using cans for general lighting, this should matter to you. The only PAR LED 'bulbs' that I've seen that are of good quality so far are by LEDnovation, LG, and Osram/Sylvania, but I obviously haven't seen them all.

pardon the mess
Disclaimer
Here's a link of the lights installed in my kitchen. Note that the 2 lights over top of the sink are CFLs that are smaller and more "Warm" aka yellow in color temp.... this camera phone pic was taken at night, so only the artificial light... with no flash.

They are INSTANT ON. I don't have them hooked up to a dimmer at this point, so I can't comment on how low they will dim.

Mike

excx said:   good enough for my basement, at least worth a try!!

These are extremely bright, make sure to hook them up with a dimmer switch.

wtjc said:   HyperX said:   At 3000K, these are not in the white range. These have yellowish hue, if anyone cares about that.

Not sure about the OP's light but the one at Home Depot has no yellowish hue (Commercial Electric T65). 65 watt equivalent 10.5 watts and is much brighter than I expected it to be. Wife made me add dimmer.

If you are talking about this...

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-203489880/h_d2/ProductDi...

It does have a yellowish hue. I bought 20 of T65 from HD and returned for Costco retrofit lights. Made HUGE difference in the amount of light it puts out. One thing I would've liked with this Costco was the 'air tight' ring.

I've never seen that particular LED retrofit by Commercial Electric, all of the CE retrofits that I've installed have flat steel twist-on mounting tabs... but they are mos def not yellow in any sense of the imagination. Warmer than a 3500K T8 lamp in my office? Yes. But not yellow. And of course the Costco lights are going to be brighter, they are higher wattage and higher lumen output. Is the trim ring on the costco version not so great?

HyperX said:   wtjc said:   HyperX said:   At 3000K, these are not in the white range. These have yellowish hue, if anyone cares about that.

If you are talking about this...

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-203489880/h_d2/ProductDi...

It does have a yellowish hue. I bought 20 of T65 from HD and returned for Costco retrofit lights. Made HUGE difference in the amount of light it puts out. One thing I would've liked with this Costco was the 'air tight' ring.

I just picked up 24 of these on friday night and installed them all except for 2 (some fatwalleter in San Jose have a 20 foot ladder?) I love the lights. They look awesome I just need to buy some dimmers. I was thinking of going home automation and getting the z-wave? Anyone know if its worth it? If not what dimmers have you guys purchased because these are REALLY bright.

I did a lot of research before purchasing cans and led lights. Even came here and came across some old threads that mentioned the lights from Home Depot. These lights link from Home Depot kept coming up (the link only shows 181 reviews, a couple of weeks ago there were over a thousand positive and I'm not sure why they reset or are not showing all of them). They are cree led (one of the best in the business). They are on sale sometimes between $25-$29 and cans can be purchased for $$7-$10. Put 8 in my basement and love them. Remember when buying dimmers, make sure the dimmer is for LED lights.

Will a basic dimmer / rheostat work ?

ITSCdanimal said:   Mentle said:   My wife pointed these out to me yesterday. Can anyone explain how these are better than just putting in an LED flood bulb (such as the PAR38)? There seems to be a two-prong cable that connects to a standard bulb socket in this kit. Do other bulbs use this connection? Costco doesn't normally sell a whole lot of useless stuff, I'm seriously trying to understand the point.

Reason #1 - by using this, as opposed to the PAR retrofit lamps, you are also replacing, and possibly upgrading the 'trim' in your cans. My house was build in the early '90s, and the cans had black baffles and ivory trim rings, awful stuff. I retrofitted with the re-branded Home Depot Cree LEDs and they look much nicer.

Reason #2 - a good percentage of the retrofit PAR lamps out there are junk. I've never seen this particular retrofit, but most of the others that I've seen have been very good quality. Also, for the most part, the retrofit assemblies are also going to do a better job in distributing light than the PAR LED bulbs, which seem to be more of a spot distribution. If you are using cans for general lighting, this should matter to you. The only PAR LED 'bulbs' that I've seen that are of good quality so far are by LEDnovation, LG, and Osram/Sylvania, but I obviously haven't seen them all.

These are good points though I have seen some recent PAR and R led retrofits that are very good. My problem with having the trim with the led light is what happens in a few years when one dies prematurely (I have had a few decent quality LEDs die early) and then you are stuck trying to find a match. If it were me I'd buy a spare or two. Also some folks what trim other than white (that was my problem in my home theater since I had a dark ceiling).

In Utah, The Home Depot's display said that a $20 rebate per fixture was available from Rocky Mountain power for these retro fit cans. I haven't got them yet; I'd rather get those at Costco if they have them. Might make this a screaming deal for some.

What is the difference between this retrofit kit and buying an LED bulb that you can screw into the socket? If the bulb type dies prematurely, I think it would be easier to find a replacement bulb than to replace the entire retrofit.

FeloniusMonkey said:   Any idea if these are suitable for wet/damp locations? It says "indoor or outdoor" use, but others I've seen specifically state whether they are suitable as, say, a downlight in the shower.

Home Depot Commercial Electric T65 - Rated for wet locationText and Certified airtight per ASTM E283-04

Wish we had Costco. I have 8 cans in the basement and I gave up and put CFLs down there with a dimmer. I try not to use the dimmer, you aren't supposed to do that with CFLs. I'd buy these conversions in a second.

I haven't used these but found the BEST LED lights by far are the Philips brand. I just recently installed their latest BR30 bulb click here after trying out at least 3 or 4 other brands and even some earlier Philips LED's. By far the best out there. I always bring in a Lowe's 10% off coupon which drops the price to $20. A lot less work than replacing the whole fixture and they have a great flood pattern. Many of the others were spots which doesn't work well for a kitchen. Less wattage and lower color temp but you save on the cost of buying a dimmer and I find the 2700K easy on the eyes.

I just drove there and looked at them. They have a plastic look that you do not get on the high end fixtures.

All the lamps like this I tried look like an industrial environment making me feel like I'm in the office - not worth the savings. I would need 10 of these for $250 ! I'll keep my incandescent.

cruzmisl said:   I haven't used these but found the BEST LED lights by far are the Philips brand. I just recently installed their latest BR30 bulb click here after trying out at least 3 or 4 other brands and even some earlier Philips LED's. By far the best out there. I always bring in a Lowe's 10% off coupon which drops the price to $20. A lot less work than replacing the whole fixture and they have a great flood pattern. Many of the others were spots which doesn't work well for a kitchen. Less wattage and lower color temp but you save on the cost of buying a dimmer and I find the 2700K easy on the eyes.

I agree. I used Sylvania R30 replacement LEDs to remodel our kitchen. It puts out very white light- like halogen. Any higher and it would look too 'cool'. 2700K looks 'warmer' and I think generally better for residential use- most people are used to incandescent lighting in their home.

The crees from Home Depot are 12w rated to a 65w incandescent equivalent. The crees are quite bright. These rated at 18W must be around a 100w incandescent equivalent. Must be REALLY bright.

I also saw them, and they look cheaper and lower quality than the cree from Home Depot for $29.99 to 39.99. If you can somehow get the cree for the 29.99 price I would pick them over the costco brand.

By the way, I have over 20 of the cree from costco in my house and could not be happier. I could not imagine that I have ever felt that I wanted them to be any brighter than they are.

My electric bill went down around $20 per month after the change from incandescent 65w.

Skipping 253 Messages...
MarioD said:   Just picked up 4 of the Costco Luminous Retro 23W LED highhats for $13.99 each. Must have been a return. They look brand new in unopened packaging though.
Where, oh where, did you get this bargain?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014