• 145 6 78
  • Page
  • Text Only
Anybody else have any installation tips to get these flush with the ceiling? I've bent the springs every which way with no luck. I love the brightness, but I am thinking about taking them back vs messing with trying to get them to install properly.

Thorin78 - yes I noticed the buzzing sound too when install with a lutron dimmer. Not very loud but if you are up by the light u can hear it.

Thorin78 said:   I bought this at Homedepot today. Lowes is really far from me.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202502169/h_d2/ProductDi...

Anyways, does anyone notice that when dimmed the lights are buzzing? Also on the Lutron dimmer, there's a 1 sec delay to come on. I noticed the Cooper one was 5Amp. Does that make the difference?
Probably the wrong dimmer circuitry for the application. This is assuming it's the lights that are buzzing and not the dimmer...

figured out my problem with installing...I had to move up the bulb socket inside of the can via a wing nut on the side of the can.

Wife said she doesn't want to wear sunglasses inside.

I don't want to grapple with a dimmer install, or worse pay someone (since it's a complex wiring setup).

The tribe has spoken. They are going back.

We will put the old cans back in and get more $5.99 LED (Feit) lights tomorrow. Well, I tried! (they are damn bright though)

rgoodenb said:   Anybody else have any installation tips to get these flush with the ceiling? I've bent the springs every which way with no luck. I love the brightness, but I am thinking about taking them back vs messing with trying to get them to install properly.

Thorin78 - yes I noticed the buzzing sound too when install with a lutron dimmer. Not very loud but if you are up by the light u can hear it.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out if it's bad for the lights overtime. The dimmer was really easy to install for anyone that's afraid of the task. My was a single pole, not anymore. I didn't even turn off the circuit. Just make sure you keep the wires apart or cap them while they're hot.

I might go and try the cooper one. The wingnut was already at its highest position nothing else I can do.

coolbreeze said:   So our kitchen has three switches that all operate the kitchen lights. I know this is more of an electrician question, but can I get a single dimmer and put it on one of the three switches? We recently replaced the switches and the wiring is pretty complex, given the fact that three wall switches operate the kitchen lights.

Any advice?

Lutron has master/remote dimmers in the maestro series. You would need 1 master and 2 remotes, then it would actually be a single switch and still opperate from all 3 locations.

http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products/Pages/StandAloneControls/Di...

these seems reinstocked in bay area. saw quite a lot in Santa Clara store.

macdave said:   coolbreeze said:   So our kitchen has three switches that all operate the kitchen lights. I know this is more of an electrician question, but can I get a single dimmer and put it on one of the three switches? We recently replaced the switches and the wiring is pretty complex, given the fact that three wall switches operate the kitchen lights.

Any advice?

Lutron has master/remote dimmers in the maestro series. You would need 1 master and 2 remotes, then it would actually be a single switch and still opperate from all 3 locations.

http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products/Pages/StandAloneControls/Di...
thank you for the info. i'm reading up on the possibilities of incorporating remote control, dimming and the use of cfl or led bulbs from up to 9 locations. here's the lutron technical document showing which dimmers are compatible with 4-way setups: lutron technical document

page 8 of the document shows the wiring diagram for multi-location setups.

Can someone tell me what is the max height needed for this kit to fit into the can hi-hat? I have 5.5". Crossing fingers...

Last weekend, I got the FEIT 100 watt equivalent BR40's for $9.99 (after $10 LIPA (Long Island) instant rebate) and the 65 watt equivalent BR30's for $5.99 (after $10 LIPA instant rebate). Super deal. Bought a ton and got a lot of looks. Also picked up the wireless puck lights for under cabinet use.

Xcel Energy has an instant rebate on the Feit bulbs in Colorado (Costco). Price reduction wasn't as generous, as I recall, but still a price reduction.

bbyanks1 said:   Last weekend, I got the FEIT 100 watt equivalent BR40's for $9.99 (after $10 LIPA (Long Island) instant rebate) and the 65 watt equivalent BR30's for $5.99 (after $10 LIPA instant rebate). Super deal. Bought a ton and got a lot of looks. Also picked up the wireless puck lights for under cabinet use.

Need help. Looking to upgrade my my old ceilings and surface mounted fixtures with cans and LED lights. I can do my own electrical, sheet rock & texture. Have 8' ceilings and can do either 5 or 6 inch cans (no insulation between 1st and 2d floor). Your thoughts on installing retrofit cans and separate retrofit LED bulb/trim kits or are there all-in-one LED Recessed Light fixtures at a reasonable price? Any good sources for either way?

bbyanks1 said:   Last weekend, I got the FEIT 100 watt equivalent BR40's for $9.99 (after $10 LIPA (Long Island) instant rebate) and the 65 watt equivalent BR30's for $5.99 (after $10 LIPA instant rebate). Super deal. Bought a ton and got a lot of looks. Also picked up the wireless puck lights for under cabinet use.
This is what we did after returning the LED retrofit cans. They were just too bright.

Utah had a Rocky Mountain instant rebate making the FEIT LED bulbs (floods) $5.99 each. Screaming deal. I got 25 (the limit) and the wife got 25 more lol.

They also had regular bulbs (non-flood) for $4.99. Got a bunch of them also.

Finally got rid of the slow-to-warm CCFLs. We are all LEDs now. The light color is warm, not blue-hospital like. LEDs finally have matured to where they can replace a regular incandescent bulb...and at those prices, we had to do a full house replace.

What store had the BR40's for $9.99 and BR30's for $5.99? That is a smoking deal.

TJtv said:   bbyanks1 said:   Last weekend, I got the FEIT 100 watt equivalent BR40's for $9.99 (after $10 LIPA (Long Island) instant rebate) and the 65 watt equivalent BR30's for $5.99 (after $10 LIPA instant rebate). Super deal. Bought a ton and got a lot of looks. Also picked up the wireless puck lights for under cabinet use.

What store had the BR40's for $9.99 and BR30's for $5.99? That is a smoking deal.

In Utah it was Costco...the floods were $5.99 and regular bulbs $4.99. As always, these prices are highly YMMV because they are local utility rebates ($15 Rocky Mountain Power in Utah, for example).

coolbreeze said:   
In Utah it was Costco...the floods were $5.99 and regular bulbs $4.99. As always, these prices are highly YMMV because they are local utility rebates ($15 Rocky Mountain Power in Utah, for example).

Yeah I already knew they were local deals because I wasn't able to find these prices locally. However, I was wondering what particular store on Long Island the previous poster got them from because I live in NJ and can get to Long Island pretty easily. Utah would be a long drive for some cheap light bulbs

TJtv said:   bbyanks1 said:   Last weekend, I got the FEIT 100 watt equivalent BR40's for $9.99 (after $10 LIPA (Long Island) instant rebate) and the 65 watt equivalent BR30's for $5.99 (after $10 LIPA instant rebate). Super deal. Bought a ton and got a lot of looks. Also picked up the wireless puck lights for under cabinet use.

Melville

rgoodenb said:   figured out my problem with installing...I had to move up the bulb socket inside of the can via a wing nut on the side of the can.

You're supposed to remove that entire little platform in the can which has the socket on it and then just let the socket hang from the wires (it won't anymore after you finish the install)..

See at 1m45s in Cree install here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UKP_lvzY3A

Costco in Holbrook also had the Feit leds for $10 & 15.

They also had the retrofit cans for $25, & I got two of those to tryout

I just had some bad luck with one of these units. I was excited to install it. Seemed simple enough, I had a G24 can unit and so I ordered 2 of those conversion bases on eBay. Today it came in and I hooked it up and immediately saw the LED flickering. So I checked to make sure everything was tight and I tried it again. Well, I turned it on and same thing happened so I disconnected it and noticed a burning smell and the base of the LED light, the blue plastic part, was very hot.

I'm not sure what the deal is. It would seem that the conversion base is trivial, but it's made in China and they are not UL approved so I'm skeptical. I have had issues with the can light because it's wired to my bathroom exhaust fan and it seems to make it really picky with occupancy sensor switches.

jd2020 said:   Need help. Looking to upgrade my my old ceilings and surface mounted fixtures with cans and LED lights. I can do my own electrical, sheet rock & texture. Have 8' ceilings and can do either 5 or 6 inch cans (no insulation between 1st and 2d floor). Your thoughts on installing retrofit cans and separate retrofit LED bulb/trim kits or are there all-in-one LED Recessed Light fixtures at a reasonable price? Any good sources for either way?

I did exactly what you're considering here. I'd go with the 6' cans as it's a pretty tight fit if you use 5' cans. Lowes seems to have house branded 6' remodel cans for just under 10 bucks each (Utilitech Y1-RICT). In my opinion, the Utilitech remodel can is slightly better built than the more common brand HALO H7RICAT that I've also used in a couple installations. There is also an HALO H750RICAT 6' can that's specifically designed for LEDs but I found out the hard way that the connector on it isn't compatible with the LED power socket on the Costco LED lighting.

If you don't have enough clearance between the ceiling and next floor, you might consider low profile LED disk lights which can install easily using a 4' junction box while giving that recessed look.

Well I figured out my problem. The G24 adapter will make the connections work but my lighting fixture has a ballast which is why it started to fry the retrofit light. Do not use these adapters from China unless you are sure you don't have a ballast in your fixture. My LED lighting fixture still works though as I tried it on an E27 base. I got it to fit but I had to quit.

Bought 3 of these yesterday and I really like the light they put out (quite bright!). Only complaint is the flex clips don't seem to hold the light to the cans very well. A couple of the lights have slipped down a little bit already. Anyone else having this issue??

Braxus said:   jd2020 said:   Need help. Looking to upgrade my my old ceilings and surface mounted fixtures with cans and LED lights. I can do my own electrical, sheet rock & texture. Have 8' ceilings and can do either 5 or 6 inch cans (no insulation between 1st and 2d floor). Your thoughts on installing retrofit cans and separate retrofit LED bulb/trim kits or are there all-in-one LED Recessed Light fixtures at a reasonable price? Any good sources for either way?

I did exactly what you're considering here. I'd go with the 6' cans as it's a pretty tight fit if you use 5' cans. Lowes seems to have house branded 6' remodel cans for just under 10 bucks each (Utilitech Y1-RICT). In my opinion, the Utilitech remodel can is slightly better built than the more common brand HALO H7RICAT that I've also used in a couple installations. There is also an HALO H750RICAT 6' can that's specifically designed for LEDs but I found out the hard way that the connector on it isn't compatible with the LED power socket on the Costco LED lighting.

If you don't have enough clearance between the ceiling and next floor, you might consider low profile LED disk lights which can install easily using a 4' junction box while giving that recessed look.

Thanks! I appreciate your response and will check out the Utilitech cans. I was only looking at the Halo cans. I do have plenty of clearance between the first and second floors and there's no insulation.

Bought a dozen of these at costco today. The demo display has the lutron diva CL but it was only able to dim it to about 70%-80%. Anyone has luck with other dimmers that actually dim these to about 10% brightness? The other poster mentioned the cooper dimmer but I prefer the lutron design. Please give some suggestion on some dimmer that actually dims these to low light level.

FYI ... Looks like they finally made it to Southern California. This past weekend, I got some at the Carmel Mountain Costco in San Diego.

ledmirage said:   Bought a dozen of these at costco today. The demo display has the lutron diva CL but it was only able to dim it to about 70%-80%. Anyone has luck with other dimmers that actually dim these to about 10% brightness? The other poster mentioned the cooper dimmer but I prefer the lutron design. Please give some suggestion on some dimmer that actually dims these to low light level.
Lutron provides instructions on how to adjust the low-end trim on their C-L dimmers that have an "adjustment dial." See the section entitled "Dimming Range Adjustment" on this page: http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Education-Training/Pages/LCE/DimmingCFLsandLEDs.aspx

It's a different process for the Lutron Maestro C-L, which I purchased for use on a circuit with five of these LEDs. The Maestro C-L has an "Advanced Programming Mode" (APM) accessible via button presses that, in my experience, allowed me to significantly lower the low-end of the range vs. the original default setting (and with no audible buzz). I do get some minimal audible buzz at the top end of the range. Instructions for the Maestro C-L Advanced Programming Mode: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/048459.pdf

Maybe the "adjustment dials" on the in-store display Diva C-L weren't properly adjusted?

Thanks! maybe i should get the maestro C-L. I have a maestro non-CL controlling some incandiscent cans but it produces low hums at the lowest setting, not sure if the C-L one has improved on that.

pokeineye said:   
Lutron provides instructions on how to adjust the low-end trim on their C-L dimmers that have an "adjustment dial." See the section entitled "Dimming Range Adjustment" on this page: http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Education-Training/Pages/LCE/DimmingCFLsandLEDs.aspx

It's a different process for the Lutron Maestro C-L, which I purchased for use on a circuit with five of these LEDs. The Maestro C-L has an "Advanced Programming Mode" (APM) accessible via button presses that, in my experience, allowed me to significantly lower the low-end of the range vs. the original default setting (and with no audible buzz). I do get some minimal audible buzz at the top end of the range. Instructions for the Maestro C-L Advanced Programming Mode: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/048459.pdf

Maybe the "adjustment dials" on the in-store display Diva C-L weren't properly adjusted?

ledmirage, I've been switching to the maestro CL dimmers from old ones. Even the new maestro non-CL does not work well with many of the LED bulbs I've gotten, but the CL has worked very well for all of them. And I didn't even know about its programming support, thanks pokeineye! With no trim dial, I assumed it was all set. I'll be playing with that this weekend, I have multi candelabra bulb fixtures that still behave slightly wonky.

zaksdad said:   Bought 3 of these yesterday and I really like the light they put out (quite bright!). Only complaint is the flex clips don't seem to hold the light to the cans very well. A couple of the lights have slipped down a little bit already. Anyone else having this issue??
Did you just shove them up into the cylinder? Or did you squeeze the clips and lead them through the "C hooks" on either side of your light can?

Initially, I just shoved them up into the cylinder...they kept sliding down. Only then did I realize they need to be fed through the clips on the inside to stay. After that, they had a satisfying "click" when I slid them up.

coolbreeze said:   zaksdad said:   Bought 3 of these yesterday and I really like the light they put out (quite bright!). Only complaint is the flex clips don't seem to hold the light to the cans very well. A couple of the lights have slipped down a little bit already. Anyone else having this issue??
Did you just shove them up into the cylinder? Or did you squeeze the clips and lead them through the "C hooks" on either side of your light can?

Initially, I just shoved them up into the cylinder...they kept sliding down. Only then did I realize they need to be fed through the clips on the inside to stay. After that, they had a satisfying "click" when I slid them up.

Whoops

I just shoved them in to the cans. I can't believe I missed the fact the clips were supposed to go inside the c-clips. I was even bitching about them being in the way. *good grief*

Got them fixed and they are nice and tight now.

Thanks for the assist coolbreeze.

ledmirage said:   Bought a dozen of these at costco today. The demo display has the lutron diva CL but it was only able to dim it to about 70%-80%. Anyone has luck with other dimmers that actually dim these to about 10% brightness? The other poster mentioned the cooper dimmer but I prefer the lutron design. Please give some suggestion on some dimmer that actually dims these to low light level.

The Cooper dimmer is available with a large toggle/small slide like the lutron, just not at Lowes. HD has a Halo CL dimmer on a floor display near the recess lights, I believe this is made by cooper.

Large toggle preset: http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/public/en/wiring_devices...

http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/public/en/wiring_devices...

Small toggle large slide: http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/public/en/wiring_devices...

The printed directions for installing these LED kits are terrible and the springs that come in the kit are worse. They're too stiff to go in my can lights, so I thought I'd pass along the solutions I found so you don't have to suffer so much. I returned my first kit before I figured a way around the stiff springs problem.

I had two different kinds of cans lights; one type in the kitchen that had exposed big glass bulbs with CFLs inside, and another over the shower and the tub, that had a flat piece of glass and a trim ring flush with the ceiling, with bulb hidden above.

Both types are apparently only fastened to one rafter on one side of the can, leaving the can free to move up and down at least an inch if you push on it fairly hard. That is a problem because the spring in the LED kit is so strong you probably have to push up at least ten pounds to try to squeeze the springs through the two hooks in each side of the can. Because the can rises as you push, the springs never reach the bend where they would start to PULL the LED assembly up before the LED's trim ring reaches the ceiling. So you let go and they drop down an inch or so and won't fit flush. Here's the solution.

First, to the kitchen cans; the ones with exposed bulbs. You unscrew the bulb and see a bulb socket up in the can held by an upside down L-shaped bracket. To either side of the socket there are springs that hold up into the can a dress up housing and trim ring which gets pulled up flush with the ceiling. (If you don't have this trim kit with coiled springs, not to worry. Your solution will be the same as for my shower light.) There is a wing nut on the long side of the L bracket holding it tight to the side of the can. The wing nut can be loosened (don't remove it) to allow the bulb socket to be raised and lowered, putting your bulb at the perfect height. A slot in the L-shaped bracket slides up and down the wing nut's screw. (During installation of the LED housing you may have to raise the L-shaped bracket to gain enough height to fit the LED housing and the socket pigtail above it.) Those two old springs holding the original trim pieces were the perfect solution to the LED kit's crappy springs. I used them to PULL the LED housing up. First, I tossed the kit's spring clips and all the hardware except the two little brass screws in the smaller hardware bag. I screwed the screws part way into the sides of the LED housing in the 5" position even though I have 6" cans. The holes labeled 6" were too low for my spring length. Then I screwed in the LED kit's bulb fitting with wire pig tail. Then I snapped the clip on the end of the pig tail into the LED housing and and let it dangle. Then I slipped the two original springs back in the slots in the top of the L bracket where they had been before and pulled them down one at a time and hooked them on the little brass screws on the sides of the LED housing. Once both were on I let them pull the LED up into the can and hold the LED kit's trim ring securely against the ceiling; a perfect fit. This is a GREAT solution to the awful springs in the kit.

Next tip: If you don't have enough height in your can to fit the pigtail in above the new LED kit even if you have raised the L-shaped bracket all the way up, you can remove it completely but leave the socket. Loosen the wing nut and LOWER the L bracket all the way. It has a wide space that will let the wing nut pass through. Then remove the bracket and squeeze two little clips together to release the socket. Use just the socket for the pigtail and the LED housing can go WAY up in the can. Note that this solution to a height problem will require you to drill a couple holes in the sides of the can for screws to hold the tops of the springs since the L bracket will be missing.

Shower stall light and over the tub: First of all, these LED lights are flat wonderful in a shower and bathroom. It's like the sun's shining in the window.

These two cans did not have bulbs exposed. They had flat glass in trim rings that were held up flush against the ceiling. Long story short, even switching the thinner, weaker spring clips from the old cover onto the new LED housing didn't solve the problem of the can moving up as I pushed. Ace Hardware to the rescue. My Ace, a real hardware store, has a huge spring collection and a guy to show you where they are. That's service! I bought four springs the right length and stretchiness and ZAP, done. Let me say again that a couple of these lights in your bathroom will WAKE YOU UP in the morning!

Good luck and I hope you don't suffer as much as I did.

Here is another option that won't be subject to the stocking whim at Costco. Same price or a few dollars more, but from a long-established lighting company now owned by Cree.

E-conolight LED retrofits $25 - $30 each

TuneGuy said:   The printed directions for installing these LED kits are terrible and the springs that come in the kit are worse. They're too stiff to go in my can lights, so I thought I'd pass along the solutions I found so you don't have to suffer so much. ...Glad to hear you found a solution to your installation problem.

In my opinion, the as-supplied geometry of the springs is solely to facilitate efficient packaging. It's unstated in the instructions, but I think it's assumed that installers will bend these springs inward to meet the demands of their specific installation. At least that's what worked for me. Installation seemed pretty simple once I took that step.

vadeltachi said:   Here is another option that won't be subject to the stocking whim at Costco. Same price or a few dollars more, but from a long-established lighting company now owned by Cree.

E-conolight LED retrofits $25 - $30 each

Nice looking kits. Too bad the light output is so low - about half the Costco units - because their preinstalled springs look skinny enough that they might work on a can supported on only one side.

I noticed two things while shopping around for alternatives when I thought I would not be able to make the Costco kits work because of their stiff springs (see two posts up). 1) Nothing else put out quite as many lumens per watt, and 2) I could not find anything as bright as the Costco kits that had a 3000k or higher color without paying nearly double. I don't care for the yellowish cast of 2700k lights. The kits referenced above use 14-16 watts for light output in the 600 lumens range while the Costco kits use 18 watts to put out 1200 lumens. At this low electricity use I don't really care much about the wattage difference, but efficiency is nice. It was the brightness and white color of the Costco kits that really sold me. I bought eleven and even my wife who's not as crazy about bright lighting as I am loves the nine I put in the kitchen - undimmed. And we love the Costco unit in the shower stall. Be advised it is VERY bright; definitely not mood lighting, but we think it's great.

1200 lumens is not 1200 lumens - Note that I replaced 1200 lumen R38 CFL bulbs (indoor rated glass bulb with CFL inside) with the 1200 lumen Costco kits and the new lights are not just whiter looking which you would expect with 3000k vs. 2700k, but definitely brighter than my previous R38s even though they have the same lumen rating. Maybe the Costco LED kit has a better reflector inside.

tHE CONNECTOR MEETS new TITLE 24 CALIFORNIA REQUIREMENTS, the adapter works fine for the old sockets.

We just put in 27 of these lights and are happy with the results

Picked one up tonight for the master bath, very bright. Thinking of putting some in the kitchen to replace the CFLs on a dimmer we have now.

I had to bend the clips down. They were to tall.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014