• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
12/26 Target Ad- Kyocera Rise for Virgin Mobile-Android 4.0 Cell phone- $29 Reg. $99 at Target B&M. Starts Wed. 7am. No Rainchecks

Link-
http://weeklyad.target.com/richardson-tx-75081/pages#4

Specs-

PLATFORM

Android™ 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) Learn More
DIMENSIONS & WEIGHT

Height: 4.4"
Depth: 0.56"

Width: 2.38"
Weight: 5.54 oz

Screen Size: 3.5" Touchscreen with QWERTY Keyboard
BATTERY

Talk Time: 8.3 hours
Standby Time: 7 days
PROCESSOR

1 GHz Snapdragon Processor
MEMORY

Expandable Memory up to 32GB (Not Included)
2 GB micro SD card included
CONNECTIVITY

Wi-Fi
Bluetooth® 2.1

Member Summary

Kyocera Rise (65.59kB)
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Thank you! That makes sense.

Dzil (Dec. 28, 2012 @ 6:46p) |

RE:
This is already a relatively low-end phone as it is.

Several of the youtube vids on it call it an
entry level model (co... (more)

yesidonoitall (Dec. 28, 2012 @ 6:55p) |

Ummm... we're not talking about iphones and/or subsidized phones (which btw is probably cheaper to buy outright and go p... (more)

hakujin (Dec. 29, 2012 @ 3:57a) |

29.99 at Target
No contract required.
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Please help can you buy this phone and use on the Sprint network? need to be unlock to use on Sprint network?

any o ina verizon chip and use it?

My mothers phone busted.

Its a CDMA phone locked to Virgin Mobile, which uses the Sprint Network. Can't use on any other US Cell Network.Sprint does not allow Virgin Mobile phones in most cases on their "Sprint" billing systems.

I have ordered 7 VM phones in the past 4 weeks, so I need another phone like I need a hole in the head, but I have a $5 target gift card I need to spend, guess this for $24 is a steal

Given that quad core phone is the standard, I don't see how this phone can do anything. I guess this phone is for people who wants slow internet, missed calls and text message that never makes it.

This is a great phone for those who do not want "quad core" prices.

fatxman said:   Given that quad core phone is the standard, I don't see how this phone can do anything. I guess this phone is for people who wants slow internet, missed calls and text message that never makes it.

And before too many ask, let me chime in: will or will not work on $25 grandfathered plans? (thinking "no"...)

Any other thoughts on how this compares to the HTC One V that is $20 more? From the VM site, it looks like the only major differences are battery life (approx 50% better for the HTC), and the camera (5mp vs 3.2 mp in favor of the HTC).

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/compare/#/htconev/kyoceraris...

mrlasveas said:   12/26 Target Ad- Kyocera Rise for Virgin Mobile-Android 4.0 Cell phone- $29 Reg. $99 at Target B&M. Starts Wed. 7am. No Rainchecks

A serious iPod touch alternative - as long as Target doesn't force activation.

Android 4.0 is pretty decent for ipod touch like functionality. For $29 this thing is a total steal.

Does anyone know if I can still use the wireless/playstore without activating it? I would like to use it as a GPS unit if I can. Thanks.

smalldeal said:   Does anyone know if I can still use the wireless/playstore without activating it? I would like to use it as a GPS unit if I can. Thanks.
Yes to both. You will get the activation nag after bootup, hit the back button and you're good to go. GPS will show fuzzy minor roads after you're out of WiFi range but just zoom out and it's easily readable.

TheRatsWon said:   smalldeal said:   Does anyone know if I can still use the wireless/playstore without activating it? I would like to use it as a GPS unit if I can. Thanks.
Yes to both. You will get the activation nag after bootup, hit the back button and you're good to go. GPS will show fuzzy minor roads after you're out of WiFi range but just zoom out and it's easily readable.

Sounds great. I will check it out tomorrow.

foghorn19 said:   mrlasveas said:   12/26 Target Ad- Kyocera Rise for Virgin Mobile-Android 4.0 Cell phone- $29 Reg. $99 at Target B&M. Starts Wed. 7am. No Rainchecks

A serious iPod touch alternative - as long as Target doesn't force activation.

Android 4.0 is pretty decent for ipod touch like functionality. For $29 this thing is a total steal.

No attempts from Target to sign me up on my purchase during BF. (it is no contract after-all) I use mine just like an android based Touch.

I Bought both the Kyocera Rise and the HTC One V to compare hands on. (Both Virgin Mobile phones) Both were on sale for $49 each. Both Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0)
First I tried the Kyocera Rise for a day and was impressed. Nice ICS Device for $49.

Then the next day I turned on the HTC One V and the comparison was over. The HTC One V is one smooth, lite, and sexy mamma. I love it. Love it a lot.
side by side, the Kyocera Rise is Twice as thick (high) as the HTC One V.

Both phones run well. Both have nice screens (though the HTC One V is better).
But the outer feel and appearances of the two phones are as different as night and day.
Kyocera Rise looks and feels like a clunky eastern european made Yugo car.
Compared to the Kyocera Rise, the HTC One V looks and feels like a BMW or Jagauer car in the hand.

The HTC One V is on sale for $49 at Radio Shack this week. (until 12/29) ... Linky
I originally thought the K-Rise slide-out keyboard would make a big difference. But I was pleasently
surprised at the nice big and clear on-screen keyboard on the HTC One V.
And the Beats audio system in the HTC One V kicks ass in comparison.
The included TuneIn Radio app is well integrated into the HTC One V.

Even at $29 for the K-Rise, I am not tempted. ... The HTC One V is lighter, sleeker. feels really great in the hand. Love it. Love it. Love it. ... Linky

The Kyocera Rise is capable of doing Microsoft Exchange Sync. I don't neet it. But a good feature.

thanks for the nice comparison!

Regarding GPS. There are at least three Android FREE offline GPS nav apps. All work well on the One V and should be fine on this phone presuming it has GPS. Add in a microSDHC card if you need to for map storage. Navfree USA is my favorite. There is also OSMand and Mapfactor.

Dougmeister said:   And before too many ask, let me chime in: will or will not work on $25 grandfathered plans? (thinking "no"...)Thinking correct.

Dougmeister said:   And before too many ask, let me chime in: will or will not work on $25 grandfathered plans? (thinking "no"...)

No, not eligible for for $25 plan.

scoot said:   Regarding GPS. There are at least three Android FREE offline GPS nav apps. All work well on the One V and should be fine on this phone presuming it has GPS. Add in a microSDHC card if you need to for map storage. Navfree USA is my favorite. There is also OSMand and Mapfactor.

Great post!
Do any include free traffic/map updates?

I will be at my Target when they open and take all they have of these.
Then off to WM and BB for them to PM it.

And at Target have them PM the Radios Shack HTC V One for VM

scoot said:   Regarding GPS. There are at least three Android FREE offline GPS nav apps. All work well on the One V and should be fine on this phone presuming it has GPS. Add in a microSDHC card if you need to for map storage. Navfree USA is my favorite. There is also OSMand and Mapfactor.

Speaking of the HTC V one, $49.99 at Radio Shack until Saturday

Thanks for this. Found it very helpful!

bluefude said:   I Bought both the Kyocera Rise and the HTC One V to compare hands on. (Both Virgin Mobile phones) Both were on sale for $49 each. Both Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0)
First I tried the Kyocera Rise for a day and was impressed. Nice ICS Device for $49.

Then the next day I turned on the HTC One V and the comparison was over. The HTC One V is one smooth, lite, and sexy mamma. I love it. Love it a lot.

But the outer feel and appearances of the two phones are as different as night and day.
Compared to the Kyocera Rise, the HTC One V looks and feels like a BMW or Jagauer car in the hand.

The HTC One V is on sale for $49 at Radio Shack this week. (until 12/29) ... Linky
I originally thought the K-Rise slide-out keyboard would make a big difference. But I was pleasently

Even at $29 for the K-Rise, I am not tempted. ... The HTC One V is lighter, sleeker. feels really great in the hand. Love it. Love it. Love it. ... Linky

The Kyocera Rise is capable of doing Microsoft Exchange Sync. I don't neet it. But a good feature.

fatxman said:   Given that quad core phone is the standard, I don't see how this phone can do anything. I guess this phone is for people who wants slow internet, missed calls and text message that never makes it.

Quad core is the standard exactly as much as a luxury sedan is the standard for the average American home. Sure, everyone wants it, but no, we're not there quite yet, quad cores are still a bit off from outnumbering dual core.

Thanks OP!

I went to Target this morning and got 2 of them. They had 4 on the shelf and the cashier wanted one and the lady behind me in line wanted the other. I told them to hurry. LOL. I have been wanting another slide out keyboard since I had the HTC Mogul. On screen keyboards, even with trying many keyboards, just frustrated me to no end. Nothing caught my eye and was also looking to switch pre-paid carriers. This was perfect for me. Thanks OP!

bluefude said:   I Bought both the Kyocera Rise and the HTC One V to compare hands on. (Both Virgin Mobile phones) Both were on sale for $49 each. Both Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0)

TuneIn Radio APP is free today http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1247047/ . Can't say much about HTC but it sounds nice from your description. I own the Kyocera "Hydro" as a consolation prize when I went looking for the $30 rise on black thursday. Having done lot's of on screen clicking wih my hydro it kinda sucks with my large fingers, so I have to use a stylus, even then I have to use an android keyboard called A.I keyboard that memorizes and learns what I type most so I can just click instead. Beats audio eh. overhyped? if I need more sound I plug in my desktop speakers or headphones. For $30 i'm tempted to pick up this up and give someone my hydro except I spent 30 days personalizing mine. Only difference for me is the slide out keyboard.

Here is a side by side comparison. The HTC V does look very nice if you don't count the Keyboard from the rise. However, if all you do is actually make calls, text lol then maybe a keyboard is nice. http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Kyocera-Hydro,HTC-One-V...

Dougmeister said:   And before too many ask, let me chime in: will or will not work on $25 grandfathered plans? (thinking "no"...)I gave up a $25 plan for this phone and don't regret it, because the Rise is so much better than the QWERTY phones available under the $25 plan.

The price/performance, even at the $89 that I paid for my Rise, is so good that I suspect the low pricing on this model is meant to flush out the $25 fence-sitters. It worked on me.

Enjoy the savings on the new phone and don't fret about your old plan.

Screwey Target people, I bought the 2 in the regular area, they said that was it.
Then I found an end cap loaded with them, store guy said he did not know they were there.

Also had WM PM the price.
As well as the RS offer for $49.99 for the HTC V One

Valid viewpoints, but I am the opposite. I bought the Rise for $29 and the One for $49. To me, their functionality seems the same. But for $20 less, the Rise has a keyboard.
I like them both, but favor the Rise.

And I drive a Jaguar.

Thanks OP. Picked one up but it won't mount either of two 16 GB SD cards (that do get mounted in my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2) I tried but will mount 32 GB cards. Anyone else have a similar problem?

Also would mind just activating on the old pay as you go plan (e.g., $20 for 200 minutes for three months) but it doesn't look like that is even an option any more. Have those plans been grandfathered and no longer available for new activations?

If anything, this would make a great GPS/MP3 Player/Micro Tablet for $30

is it still possibly in stock at target?

bicmos said:   is it still possibly in stock at target?

my local store at NC has at least 30 hanging on the rack this morning.

thanks, will go try the luck.

Didn't have any in stock at my Target, but got a raincheck for when they do.

mrlasveas said:   Its a CDMA phone locked to Virgin Mobile, which uses the Sprint Network. Can't use on any other US Cell Network.Sprint does not allow Virgin Mobile phones in most cases on their "Sprint" billing systems.

more importantly; are people just dingy else why would they wish to pay Sprint more for the same network. i know i am missing gv voicemail integration, but that alone isn't worth paying more.

Scrubking said:   Didn't have any in stock at my Target, but got a raincheck for when they do.

The ads always say no rainchecks, how did you pull it off?

Skipping 12 Messages...
zach4572 said:   hakujin said:   mrlasveas said:   Its a CDMA phone locked to Virgin Mobile, which uses the Sprint Network. Can't use on any other US Cell Network.Sprint does not allow Virgin Mobile phones in most cases on their "Sprint" billing systems.

more importantly; are people just dingy else why would they wish to pay Sprint more for the same network. i know i am missing gv voicemail integration, but that alone isn't worth paying more.
Ummm, Iphone/subsidized phones, and if it weren't for these "dingy" people, Sprint wouldn't have a network for Virgin to use, also , NO raoming onto Verizon with VM, some rely on that alone, just to name a few.

Ummm... we're not talking about iphones and/or subsidized phones (which btw is probably cheaper to buy outright and go prepaid on versus 24 months on pricier plan); we are talking about this kyocera.

True that the dingy people can indeed prove useful.

If some rely on verizon roaming as much as you suggest, they'd be better served w/ Page Plus. Dingy is as dingy does?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014