• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Costco has Feit Electric 13.5 Watt LED bulb for $4.99 ($14.99-$10 instant rebate). The instant rebate end 1/14/13. The item #645592. It seems to work very well.

Light bulb information:
OMNI Directional
Dimmable
Mercury Free
Instant On
13.5 W (60w replacement)
850 lumens

Member Summary

Feit Electric 13.5Watt LED bulb
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I wrote a complaint to Costco through their feedback system about Feit CFL bulbs but never got a response. Will never b... (more)

jdmart (Dec. 31, 2012 @ 10:02a) |

I have had bad experiences with Feit CFL's and stay away from all of their products.

pghphil (Dec. 31, 2012 @ 1:06p) |

No rebate in NV with NVEnergy...

obsidience (Dec. 31, 2012 @ 6:58p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

What state are you in?

Isn't 13.5w kind of high for 850 lumens? Maybe someone else can chime in

I pick up few bulbs up from Kirkland, Washington store today. The information outside the package state 850 lumens.

You can find more information hereLInk.

13.5w? My flash light is brighter than that!

A 60W incandescent bulb produces over 800 lumens. So, this bulb is a replacement for a regular 60W bulb. Good deal.

Brightness is measured in Lumens not Watts. And Measured in Lumens, this LED bulb is as bright as a 65 W conventional filament bulb while consuming 13.5 Watts of *power*

This should be marked YMMV, since the rebates that Costco offers are often in association with local utility companies, also stock varies per Costco store, not to mention per city / per region.

However, my local Costco did have a couple skids of these a few months back. After-rebate price was about $7. I got a dozen and they are fantastic. Evenly-distributed (not a virtual spot like a lot of the LED lights currently), good light output, instant-on, near-incandescent temperature... a good buy if you can find them.

fatxman said:   13.5w? My flash light is brighter than that!A watt is not a measurement of brightness...

I will pickup another 10 bulbs tomorrow.

HMMMM, looks like someone's flashlight is also brighter than at least it's owner. OHHHHHH!

DPackMan said:   fatxman said:   13.5w? My flash light is brighter than that!A watt is not a measurement of brightness... The original comment is not a measure of brightness either.

I bought eight of these in NJ when on sale a couple of months ago. Installed 7. Sorry to say, two of them have failed already. The led's just glow dimly now.

One of the advantages of LED is supposed to be, at lease as I understand it, reduced power consumption
13.5 w 850 Lumens is about the same as a CFL lamp
Unless I am missing a benefit somewhere, I can get a 13.5W CFL for $1.45 each from Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/GE-13-Watt-Energy-SmartTM-replacement/dp/B...
I doubt the LED lasts more than 3x longer in the real world

JonnyRock said:   One of the advantages of LED is supposed to be, at lease as I understand it, reduced power consumption
Unless I am missing a benefit somewhere, I can get a 13.5W CFL for $1.45 each from Amazon

Instant on
dimmable
no mercury
quality brand LEDs will outlast CFL hand down

Personally I have my whole house run on Philips 12.5W LED bulbs. Amazing color temperature!!

Yes, definitely YMMV, went to my Commack, NY Costco tonight and it was $14.99, they said the local power company wasn't offering the rebates now, but they often do.

Wasted a trip....

christmas said:   I bought eight of these in NJ when on sale a couple of months ago. Installed 7. Sorry to say, two of them have failed already. The led's just glow dimly now.
I have had the same issues with Feit cfl bulbs from Costco.

No mention of a warrantee on their web site

Kind of makes you wonder why no warrantee

SimMike said:   DPackMan said:   fatxman said:   13.5w? My flash light is brighter than that!A watt is not a measurement of brightness... The original comment is not a measure of brightness either.

I actually believe it was.

I hope the Feit LEDs are better than their CFLs

thebigo said:   SimMike said:    The original comment is not a measure of brightness either.

I actually believe it was.

Indeed.

keaton85 said:   JonnyRock said:   One of the advantages of LED is supposed to be, at lease as I understand it, reduced power consumption

Instant on
dimmable
no mercury

Personally I have my whole house run on Philips 12.5W LED bulbs. Amazing color temperature!!

LEDs do not generate UV light which CFLs produce. CFL fades photos, paint and everything else over time.

keaton85 said:   JonnyRock said:   One of the advantages of LED is supposed to be, at lease as I understand it, reduced power consumption

Instant on
dimmable
no mercury

i do like the instant on. cfl instant on about 80% and slowly go full brightness.

dimmable, is it like the LED flashlight that kinda blinks to do the dimming?

not when more of them go bad faster making more trash in the landfill.

cost a lot more too.

how many of those LED bulbs in your house are made in USA?

Is there any Costco close to Washington, DC having the rebate? Any Costco in Northern VA, DC, or MD?

Zuke76 said:   christmas said:   I bought eight of these in NJ when on sale a couple of months ago. Installed 7. Sorry to say, two of them have failed already. The led's just glow dimly now.
I have had the same issues with Feit cfl bulbs from Costco.

Ditto. No more Feit bulbs for me. I've had almost all (24 or 28) of my globe bulbs die prematurely (at least 4 in less than 3 months) and most in less than 2 years. And these bulbs only get about an hour of use a day. Their conventional CFL bulbs have a lower failure rate than their globes, but it's still much higher than the CFL bulbs from GE and Sylvania(or is it Philips?) that I have in most of the house.

I repeat: No more Feit bulbs for me.

Sounds like a great deal and I will go to a local Costco to pick one up. Thx OP!

fatxman said:   13.5w? My flash light is brighter than that!

You are stupid.

Funny...

JonnyRock said:   One of the advantages of LED is supposed to be, at lease as I understand it, reduced power consumption

It seems LEDs in the future still won't beat CFLs in efficiency, and with both types of lights it's usually not the light that fails first but the electronics that drive it.

Is this white or soft-white?

Just don't get to crazy about Feit low price. In our test Feit Led's failure rate was 25%-30% within first six month of use. I would highly recommend GE or Philips brands instead.

Oper said:   Just don't get to crazy about Feit low price. In our test Feit Led's failure rate was 25%-30% within first six month of use. I would highly recommend GE or Philips brands instead.You are right on with your Feit quality numbers, I have tracked my Feit CFL failure over the past 5 years. I have gone through at least 30 bulbs. These are the 65W can lights rated for that application. I had a handful of very early premature failures before this that led me to track the bulb performance. I also was so amazed by the failure of these bulbs that I changed out my kitchen switch thinking that an intermittent contact may be causing these failures; it made no difference.

10% failed in the first 250 hours
30% failed in the first 1000 hours
50% failed in the first 1500 hours
85% failed in the first 2000 hours
100% failed in the first 2800 hours (this is the longest that any of these bulbs has ever lasted)

These bulbs are supposed to last at least 7000 hours per the packaging specs. I have also had 5 bulbs where the lens delaminated from the bulb housing. All the bulbs I have purchased were subsidized by SoCal Edison so I did not pay market price. I also returned the failed bulbs to Costco and they just give me a new box.

With this record of Feit quality I would never make the larger dollar investment in their LEDs or believe their lifetime claims. I have had much better luck with GE and Philips bulbs in other applications and would go that route although I think the pricing is still about a year away on the LEDs to justify the payback.

fatxman, you've been here a while and I am still amazed at how people haven't caught on yet. The degree in CPU in the bulldozer thread (and most AMD threads), and now this thread.

I'd green you, but the 31 reds (and counting) look so pretty that I don't want to mess with it.

I've got one for $8 last month from Costco and it's a really gr8 and bright bulb .. and it runs whole night so far so good! no issue..

eswarjj said:   Is this white or soft-white?

or

Daylight

larrymoencurly said:   JonnyRock said:   One of the advantages of LED is supposed to be, at lease as I understand it, reduced power consumption

It seems LEDs in the future still won't beat CFLs in efficiency, and with both types of lights it's usually not the light that fails first but the electronics that drive it.

It's a big deal that CFL's have mercury. Eventually it will be gone but I won't have any in my house with mercury. You really don't want to break one of those.

The LED's I have that I bought at Lowes are fantastic. The brand is Utilitech. I don't know how long it's been already but they work great.

Here are the two I bought:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_338931-75774-LA19/OM800/LED_0__?productI...

Quality light, fills my kitchen well since it's high up on vaulted ceilings (it's why I wanted long lasting bulbs). $18 is a good price for these bulbs.

The Utilitech bulbs are Feit.

bm22 said:   Oper said:   Just don't get to crazy about Feit low price. In our test Feit Led's failure rate was 25%-30% within first six month of use. I would highly recommend GE or Philips brands instead.You are right on with your Feit quality numbers, I have tracked my Feit CFL failure over the past 5 years. I have gone through at least 30 bulbs. These are the 65W can lights rated for that application. I had a handful of very early premature failures before this that led me to track the bulb performance. I also was so amazed by the failure of these bulbs that I changed out my kitchen switch thinking that an intermittent contact may be causing these failures; it made no difference.

10% failed in the first 250 hours
30% failed in the first 1000 hours
50% failed in the first 1500 hours
85% failed in the first 2000 hours
100% failed in the first 2800 hours (this is the longest that any of these bulbs has ever lasted)

These bulbs are supposed to last at least 7000 hours per the packaging specs. I have also had 5 bulbs where the lens delaminated from the bulb housing. All the bulbs I have purchased were subsidized by SoCal Edison so I did not pay market price. I also returned the failed bulbs to Costco and they just give me a new box.

With this record of Feit quality I would never make the larger dollar investment in their LEDs or believe their lifetime claims. I have had much
better luck with GE and Philips bulbs in other applications and would go that route although I think the pricing is still about a year away on the
LEDs to justify the payback.

With costco return/exchange policy, isn't it compensate for the failure rate? Do you have to keep the receipts for that long or Costco know that the bulbs came from their store only?

]

WorkerAnt said:   keaton85 said:   JonnyRock said:   One of the advantages of LED is supposed to be, at lease as I understand it, reduced power consumption

Instant on
dimmable
no mercury

i do like the instant on. cfl instant on about 80% and slowly go full brightness.

dimmable, is it like the LED flashlight that kinda blinks to do the dimming?

not when more of them go bad faster making more trash in the landfill.

cost a lot more too.

how many of those LED bulbs in your house are made in USA?

My CFLs are less than 80% initially. The ones outside are more like 25% in the winter. They make very poor security bulbs.

No, they are more like incandescents in their dimmability, except their color doesnt' shift as they dim. They dim much much better than dimmable CFLs.

I haven't had household LED bulbs long enough to comment on their reliability, but their rated life is generally quite a bit longer than CFL. Even if they don't hold up to their ratings, lots of CFLs don't either. I've had plenty die way sooner than they should have.

Yes, they do cost more. You typically do pay more for a better product. I can't think of one aspect that a CFL does better than LED, beyond cost.

Skipping 24 Messages...
No rebate in NV with NVEnergy...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.