• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I went to Target today to look at a few things and was talking to the phone sales guy about any deal for the iPhone 5. This deal requires a new two year contract.

He told me that the iPhone 5 16GB is only $149 and that he was not sure on the other two sizes. I looked at the sign and the 32GB and 64GB are both on sale for $50 off as well.

What makes this deal so hot is that he asked me what phone I had and that because I have a iPhone 4, he can give me $150 if I trade that phone in.

I was able to upgrade to an iPhone 5 for free. AT&T does charge a $36 activation/trade fee or something like that.

For those of you with insurance, the plan with Apple is $99 for two years. I was paying $14.99 per month through Best Buy.

My iPhone 4 was in terrific shape as the salesman said it about 5 times, so I assumed he was telling me the truth.

Getting the phone for free is really what sealed the deal for me.

I hope this can convince others to upgrade as well.

This is my first Hot Deal ever. I did search to make sure this particular deal was not listed. I could only find the older Target one offering the phone for $127.

Forgot to add... The Target debit card would include 5% Cash Back on the $99 insurance.

Thanks and good luck.

Member Summary

iPhone 5
Thanks djrsn00
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Why did the moderator bump an 18 day old thread.

Don't go to church, so no tithing for me, I do donate to animal oprgani... (more)

chocula (Jan. 22, 2013 @ 9:33p) |

Lol

gordydds (Jan. 22, 2013 @ 11:16p) |

LOL

whatsupwitdis (Jan. 23, 2013 @ 3:52a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

If anyone wants to sell me their perfect condition iphone 4 for $150-$36=$114 - I'll take it. I'll even pay shipping!

Rumpelstilskin said:   If anyone wants to sell me their perfect condition iphone 4 for $150-$36=$114 - I'll take it. I'll even pay shipping!Yea, beaten. Seems like a great deal but typical trade-in nonsense of you could have sold it for double that on eBay/craigslist.

You can get a lot more for an iPhone 4 on Craigslist. You paid $15/mth for phone insurance? Crazy. You must be new to FW.......these are NOT ways to save money or get a good deal.

Why not just sell your Iphone 4 on craigslist?

Second post in recent days where someone traded in their iPhone 4 and got bottom dollar.

Shame searching on eBay or Craigslist for the going rate is so hard.

My choices for my iPhone 4 were to give it to my 4 year old or put it away in a drawer.

Not worth it to me to sell on Craigslist. We will donate stuff before we sell on Craigslist. Too many issues and problems associated with Craigslist to even considering doing business there.

I have two full bags of shirts to sell on eBay and just have not gotten around to it. My odds of selling it on Craigslist were about slim to none. Between the time and hassle, just not worth it for me.

I need to compare the warranties between Apple and Squartrade to see if there is a difference. The Squartrade site shows $99 for two years, but does offer a 3 year deal for $30 more. Please let me know where how you can get the Squaretrade warranty for less as it is the same on the site.

chocula said:   My choices for my iPhone 4 were to give it to my 4 year old or put it away in a drawer.

Not worth it to me to sell on Craigslist. We will donate stuff before we sell on Craigslist. Too many issues and problems associated with Craigslist to even considering doing business there.

I have two full bags of shirts to sell on eBay and just have not gotten around to it. My odds of selling it on Craigslist were about slim to none. Between the time and hassle, just not worth it for me.

I need to compare the warranties between Apple and Squartrade to see if there is a difference. The Squartrade site shows $99 for two years, but does offer a 3 year deal for $30 more. Please let me know where how you can get the Squaretrade warranty for less as it is the same on the site.

Quite often Square Trade has coupons for 30-40% off their prices. They are top notch in service and value. Currently you can get a 40% off coupon from their Facebook page, Text

I've bought and sold on CL for years, never once had a problem. It's too bad you don't see the value of an extra $100-$150 for a bit of your time, but to each his own.

suezyque said:   chocula said:   My choices for my iPhone 4 were to give it to my 4 year old or put it away in a drawer.

Quite often Square Trade has coupons for 30-40% off their prices. They are top notch in service and value. Currently you can get a 40% off coupon from their Facebook page, Text

I've bought and sold on CL for years, never once had a problem. It's too bad you don't see the value of an extra $100-$150 for a bit of your time, but to each his own.

Thanks, Did not know about the coupons. I have two TVs with Squaretrade warranties.

I have about $400-$500 in shirts I can sell on eBay, and have not done it yet. The odds of me putting the iphone on there soon are very low.

Sold my iPhone 4 on CL for $280. It was in Ok shape, nothing super.

I would just skip the warranty. My iPhone 4 made it past two years easily with no issues.

chocula said:   I went to Target today to look at a few things and was talking to the phone sales guy about any deal for the iPhone 5. This deal requires a new two year contract.

He told me that the iPhone 5 16GB is only $149 and that he was not sure on the other two sizes. I looked at the sign and the 32GB and 64GB are both on sale for $50 off as well.

For those of you with insurance, the plan with Apple is $99 for two years. I was paying $14.99 per month through Best Buy.

My iPhone 4 was in terrific shape as the salesman said it about 5 times, so I assumed he was telling me the truth.

This is my first Hot Deal ever. I did search to make sure this particular deal was not listed. I could only find the older Target one offering the phone for $127.

Forgot to add... The Target debit card would include 5% Cash Back on the $99 insurance.

Thanks and good luck.

I hate to burst your bubble but this is not a hot deal whatsoever so it will not qualify as your first. In fact i'll bet most people stopped taking you seriously after you mentioned that you paid Best Buy $15 per month insurance on your phone.

LetsGoMets1 said:   

I hate to burst your bubble but this is not a hot deal whatsoever so it will not qualify as your first.

^ Agreed,

Even though this might not be a hot deal, keep trying. Thanks Op.

Before turning it in, don't we need to wipe it clean. I use my iPhone for a ton of things, somewhat hesitant to just turn it off and give it to someone else. I am sure the 4 digit code can be hacked within 9999 tries.

tajar96 said:   Before turning it in, don't we need to wipe it clean. I use my iPhone for a ton of things, somewhat hesitant to just turn it off and give it to someone else. I am sure the 4 digit code can be hacked within 9999 tries.

Of course you wipe it clean. Only takes a second.

ok, I am noob on this one. How do you wipe it clean.

tajar96 said:   ok, I am noob on this one. How do you wipe it clean.

soft cloth.

tajar96 said:   ok, I am noob on this one. How do you wipe it clean.

Settings-- General--Reset--Reset all content and settings. Done.

lol. I was looking for "wipe" option. Thanks Mets fan.

chocula said:   chocula said:    I have two full bags of shirts to sell on eBay and just have not gotten around to it.

I have about $400-$500 in shirts I can sell on eBay, and have not done it yet. The odds of me putting the iphone on there soon are very low.

Anybody else hungry for these shirts OP is going on about? I'm about ready to buy a few!

mattao21 said:   Rumpelstilskin said:   If anyone wants to sell me their perfect condition iphone 4 for $150-$36=$114 - I'll take it. I'll even pay shipping!Yea, beaten. Seems like a great deal but typical trade-in nonsense of you could have sold it for double that on eBay/craigslist.

I second that. iPhone4 on eBay/CL goes for about $300+

chocula said:   My choices for my iPhone 4 were to give it to my 4 year old or put it away in a drawer.

One has to wonder why you came to a deal site in the first place, if you can't be bothered to spend 20 minutes to list something on eBay. I understand people's reluctance to sell on CL, but you easily lost $50 to $100 by not going to eBay, which you can do from the comfort of your own house, in the time it takes you do look through Fatwallet.

So what are you hoping that Fatwallet can do for you to save you money?

tapasgsa said:   mattao21 said:   Rumpelstilskin said:   If anyone wants to sell me their perfect condition iphone 4 for $150-$36=$114 - I'll take it. I'll even pay shipping!Yea, beaten. Seems like a great deal but typical trade-in nonsense of you could have sold it for double that on eBay/craigslist.

I second that. iPhone4 on eBay/CL goes for about $300+

I question your $300 quote. Mint condition with all accessories and hopefully more than 16gb, maybe, but average price for a new seller isn't going to be $300.

Treefarn said:   

One has to wonder why you came to a deal site in the first place, if you can't be bothered to spend 20 minutes to list something on eBay.

For some, motivation and taking the time to put in a little effort, isn't something to be bothered with.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1247474/

I' ll agree that this is somewhat hot. My experience with trying to sell old iphone 4's on eBay is that I tried selling it three times and each time the high bidder was bogus . eBay took away the option to leave negative feedback so bogus bidders were free to bid without completing the auction. One bidder even paid but then cancelled it. After the fact I went back and looked at each buyer's feedback and sure enough other sellers were messed with too, only they chose to leave their feedback about it under the "positive" option. I' m sure that the flood of iphone 4's has died down now so you may get a legit buyer. I chose the eBay instant sale option and took the loss of about $40. My eBay auctions closed at about $220. I didnt't want to mess with CL and the haggling or even a robbery.
If I could have traded my 4 for a 5 I would have taken that all day, especially since I paid the $199 price.

It's pretty easy to sell your old iphone and $150 for an old iphone 4 is not a good deal, even if it is beat up. I sold my unlocked at&t iphone 4 on Amazon for $299.99. (If you are out of contract, just google unlock at&t iphone and follow the instructions, it takes a couple days.) I initially listed it for $360, but got tired of waiting after a few days and relisted it at $299.99. It sold in under 8 hours. I got shipping insurance and delivery confirmation and cleared $270 after shipping and Amazon's cut.

Yes, my phone was in perfect condition with the accessories, in original box, but there's no reason not to get a few hundred bucks for your old iphone.

I guess you can look at this deal like trading in a car. You don't get the best bang for your buck but is is easy. Many folks really like easy and are willing to pass on a few bucks in lieu of a fast and easy trade.

I think the deal is good in that way.

respdoc said:   Treefarn said:   

One has to wonder why you came to a deal site in the first place, if you can't be bothered to spend 20 minutes to list something on eBay.

For some, motivation and taking the time to put in a little effort, isn't something to be bothered with.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1247474/

Agreed, but then they generally can't be bothered to come to Fatwallet. Its unusual someone can't be bothered with eBay but CAN be bothered with dealchasing on a forum.

Treefarn said:   Agreed, but then they generally can't be bothered to come to Fatwallet. Its unusual someone can't be bothered with eBay but CAN be bothered with dealchasing on a forum.
All said above AND the fact that the 16GB can be had for $127 in many other places!

LetsGoMets1 said:   chocula said:   I went to Target today to look at a few things and was talking to the phone sales guy about any deal for the iPhone 5. This deal requires a new two year contract.

Thanks and good luck.

I hate to burst your bubble but this is not a hot deal whatsoever so it will not qualify as your first. In fact i'll bet most people stopped taking you seriously after you mentioned that you paid Best Buy $15 per month insurance on your phone.

Honestly the Best Buy protection plans for phones are the best, if you need one. In my line of work, my phone gets broken all the time from being dropped or smashed in some manner. On my current iphone 4, I have had it replaced at least 5 times already. I would never pay the monthly fee, as it's way more than the up-front/all at once fee. But seriously, being able to get a new phone unlimited number of times for any reason is awesome, and easily saved me a few $1000 of buying new phones each time. Still not for everyone though, of course.

sleepyhobo1 said:   LetsGoMets1 said:   chocula said:   I went to Target today to look at a few things and was talking to the phone sales guy about any deal for the iPhone 5. This deal requires a new two year contract.

Thanks and good luck.

Honestly the Best Buy protection plans for phones are the best, if you need one. In my line of work, my phone gets broken all the time from being dropped or smashed in some manner. On my current iphone 4, I have had it replaced at least 5 times already. I would never pay the monthly fee, as it's way more than the up-front/all at once fee. But seriously, being able to get a new phone unlimited number of times for any reason is awesome, and easily saved me a few $1000 of buying new phones each time. Still not for everyone though, of course.

There are cheap hammers available. Do not use an iphone as a hammer.

>> My choices for my iPhone 4 were to give it to my 4 year old or put it away in a drawer.

Or the 3rd choice: Keep it and ignore the whole "Ohh...So Bright, Shiny and New!"

Your wants outweigh your needs, and you have logic that most Vulcans (and freed humans) would deem abysimal.

chocula said:   Not worth it to me to sell on Craigslist. We will donate stuff before we sell on Craigslist. Too many issues and problems associated with Craigslist to even considering doing business there.
My experience with Craigslist has been quite different than yours. I have bought/sold several phones from HTC Radars to iPhones and Nokia Lumia 900's. Craigslist is usually my first choice when I want to make a quick purchase or sale and eBay is my last choice. As a Craigslist buyer, you just need to know what you are getting (I usually ask for receipts and check the IMEI on phones with the carrier).

I think that there are plenty of places where you could have gotten more than $150 for a pristine iPhone 4 but if your time is worth more than the extra $100 or so you would have gotten then you got an OK deal. Not one that I would have considered, but I'm not sure it deserves all the red you're getting! lol

I have never had a bad experience with CL, but have no desire to take a chance. I am not one to worry about what could happen on CL, instead I just do not take the chance. I am certain millions of deals take place there with no issues. With my luck, I would be the one that attracted the serial killer to my neighborhood.

If I can spend a few minutes online to save some money, it is worth it. The more time I have to spend trying to find a deal, the less the deal is worth. To simplify.... If it takes me 30 minutes to save $100, then it is worth it. If it takes me 3 hours to save $100, it is probably not worth it.

I have family and a life and have to consider how much time I should spend on a deal versus how much it will save me.

Like I said, I was going to pay $199 for the iPhone 5 and give the old iPhone to my son.

Basically paying 0 for the iPhone 5 is a great deal if you ask me.

To each his own, I guess.

I've never had a good experience with CL. It's so horrible I'll throw something away before I sell it there. I think CL works better in some cities than it does in others though.

chocula said:   I have never had a bad experience with CL,

That reasoning is silly at best, especially since you said you never had a bad experience on CL. You have every right to put in as little effort as you want to...but in no way does that justify this deal as "Hot".

I said earlier that I have never had a bad experience with CL. That being said, you have to use a little smarts too. I DON'T have people come to my house when I'm selling, with the exception of the time I sold the gas stove and the flat screen tv. I meet in public places and let my BF know where I am. You probably have a bigger chance getting hit crossing the street than being harmed doing a CL transaction at Tim Hortons.

respdoc said:   chocula said:   I have never had a bad experience with CL,

That reasoning is silly at best, especially since you said you never had a bad experience on CL. You have every right to put in as little effort as you want to...but in no way does that justify this deal as "Hot".

Look at the thread above the one you posted. It is just another example of why not to use CL. I realize that may be above your comprehension level, but to simplify it for you... Why even take teh chance for $100 or so?

I think I make enough money not to worry about having to sell stuff on CL. You on the other hand obviously do. Big difference in being successful in life and choosing what you want to do versus having to do what you can to survive.

The deal is hot becuase the phoen is on sale for $50 off. Most places have it listed for $199 and it was $149 at Target.

I find it funny that you have to use CL like a flea market to survive, yet saving $50 is not enough savings to make a deal hot.... SMH at you.

suezyque said:   I said earlier that I have never had a bad experience with CL. That being said, you have to use a little smarts too. I DON'T have people come to my house when I'm selling, with the exception of the time I sold the gas stove and the flat screen tv. I meet in public places and let my BF know where I am. You probably have a bigger chance getting hit crossing the street than being harmed doing a CL transaction at Tim Hortons.

That is even more reason to avoid CL. I see stuff on CL for $20 or $30 and have to wonder how much someone would go to earn $20. After gas and your time, you actually lose money if you ask me.

Skipping 19 Messages...
respdoc said:   tajar96 said:   ok, I am noob on this one. How do you wipe it clean.

soft cloth.
LOL

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.