Planet Fitness $99/year - YMMV

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Not sure how wide spread this promotion is - however I did check five different locations in Western New York, Northern Pennsylvania and NE Ohio. Normal price at my nearest location is $170($10/month + $50 membership fee).

Go here to find your local club
http://www.planetfitness.com/PlanetFitnessMap.aspx

After finding your preferred club, you will see the prices down the right hand side:
- 1st: the Black (premier) price
- 2nd: the regular membership price
- 3rd: this promotional offer (if available at your location)

Member Summary

Planet Fitness $99/year
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Looks to be about $10 a month ($120 a year) in most Atlanta locations for single-club use. Double that for any-club use.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

offer is good in most locations in houston tx

Levittown, PA
Disclaimer
Offer expires Dec 31st

good in boston

Good at CT location - Newington

No good in Greensboro NC

The price is right but you should try it out first.

The Planet Fitness locations in Cambridge and Boston lack 45lb bar weight benches (unless you count machines with the bars attached). Government Center's also very crowded and very warm in the summer. You have to wait for machines and weights. Sometimes people stand in front of you when you are using the mirrors for form. I hear Quincy doesn't have those problems so it might be worth joining.

Bally's or Workout World in Porter Square/Cambridge both regularly offer a $10 a month membership. I'm not sure if either is better or worse than Planet Fitness. All are good prices. Free passes: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/free-stuff/1227632/ http://www.workoutworld.com/getstarted_free_pass.php

Does anyone else have any opinions. I've never been to a gym in my life and I'm determined to finally start going and there is a Planet Fitness that is really convenient to my work.

packratmarty said:   Does anyone else have any opinions. I've never been to a gym in my life and I'm determined to finally start going and there is a Planet Fitness that is really convenient to my work.

You really have to visit your location to find out--I've only been to one Planet Fitness (downtown Financial District in San Francisco), and it's freaking AWESOME. Super clean, TVs on the cardio, tons of weights and racks and machines, polished wood lockers, etc. Tanning beds, massage chairs.

That being said, there are truly awesome 24-Hour Fitness gyms, and there are truly horrid ones. It's like when you were a kid and you always wanted to go to the "good" Denny's...

I live in Dallas, TX now but used to go to Planet Fitness on Long Island in Farmingdale. Overall the gym is great for beginners. I like that there are so many machines available to use. Cardio in particular. I left because in my area the gym was simply too crowded. Down the block from a series of large office buildings and across the street from a college campus. Also when it snowed, there was about 20% less parking than normal. In bad traffic the gym was a good 25 min away from my house vs 5 for Retro Fitness. I now am at a Gold's Gym. Lots of cardio machines and weights. I also see a mix of people there. I would look at reviews of the location near you as I'm pretty sure they're independently owned and quality can vary significantly.

Good in Daly City, but not San Francisco. Are Planet Fitness Clubs any good?

You guys should check out Retro Fitness. Cleaner, more weights,
better all around, although not nation wide, mostly east coast.

IIRC, they tack on a yearly maintenance fee which runs about $30.

No maintenance fee for $99 PIF membership.

Planet fitness only goes up to 60lbs on their free weights, which is kind of lame.

Retro fitness is an OK alternative but it costs about 170% more than the Planet Fitness PIF membership.

Retro fitness also has a more limiting contract. Your membership can be sold to anyone else and cancelling is a lot more difficult, particularly if they close down your home gym location. If you have another suitable location (retro fitness or other location that will buy your contract) within 25 miles of your former "home gym," they can transfer your contract there and you are stuck paying. Planet fitness, by comparison, is 5 miles.

To cancel a retro fitness membership, you have to mail a certified letter to the HQ 60 days prior to cancellation. Lots of hassle...plus the bright yellow and red gym is disturbing to look at.

Planet Fitness is a scam gym. They live on making it hard to cancel memberships. Call one up and try to pay cash for a membership. Do you realy want to do business with a company that won't accept cash as a payment option?? They will only let you have a membership if they can directly take money out of your checking or credit card account.

RxForYourAuto said:   Planet Fitness is a scam gym. They live on making it hard to cancel memberships. Call one up and try to pay cash for a membership. Do you realy want to do business with a company that won't accept cash as a payment option?? They will only let you have a membership if they can directly take money out of your checking or credit card account.I rather give them my bank account # and pay $10 a month without any contract than pay $30 a month somewhere with a 12 month contract.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014