$499.99 receipt
Disclaimer

pic of laptop
Disclaimer

samsung pic
Disclaimer
YMMV

Bestbuy B&M only.

Purchased in zip 88011 from BB store # 802.

Samsung np700z5c-s01ub
i7-3610/8g

Was $999.99, then discounted to $899 (at some point prior to my finding it on an end cap at BB),
final clearance price was discounted to $499.99.
This was a display model, with charger but........ no box, no manual.

Bestbuy SKU# 5575679
bestbuy reviewer link with pic

Samsung website and SPECs:
Samsung link

Amazon linkamazon's web page with i7 laptop

See copy of receipt below. (Maybe it'll help another FWer to get this Samsung at a better price)

SPECS according to Samsung are as follows:

Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

CPU/ Processor Intel® Core™ i7-3615QM Processor

CPU Clock Speed (Max.) 2.3GHz

CPU Cache 6MB

Model Series Series 7

Model Number NP700Z5C-S01UB

Display Screen Size 15.6"

Type LED HD+

Resolution 1600 x 900

Brightness 300 nits SuperBright™ Technology

Memory Standard System Memory 8GB

Memory Type DDR3 (1600 MHz)

Max. System Memory 8GB

Storage Hard Drive Capacity - 1TB with ExpressCache™ Technology, 8GB, RPM 5400RPM

Graphics Chip - NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 630 M

Maximum Graphics Memory - 512MB

ODD DVD +/-RW Super Multi Dual Layer (S-ATA)

Multimedia Speakers - 4W Stereo Speaker (2W x 2) with Subwoofer

Sound Technology SoundAlive™

Internal Mic Yes

Web Camera - 1.3MP HD

Connectivity - Wireless LAN - 802.11 a/b/g/n

Bluetooth 4.0

WiDi Yes

Wired Ethernet LAN - Gigabit LAN

VGA No (Dongle sold separately)

HDMI - Yes

USB Ports - 1 x USB 2.0 + 2 x USB 3.0

Headphone Out Yes

Microphone In Yes

Multi Card Slot 4- in-1 (SD/SDHC/SDXC/MMC)

RJ45 (LAN) - Yes

Keyboard - 101 Keys

Numeric Yes

Backlit Yes

Touch Pad (Scroll Scope, Flat Type, Gesture UI)

Security - Kensington Lock Slot - Yes

Power - AC Adapter 90W

Number of Cells / Cell Type - 8 cell / Li-Po, mAh 5420mAh, Watt Hours 80Wh

Battery Life* 9.2 Hours

Design Color - Silver

Compliancy - ENERGY STAR Rated Yes

Dimensions (W x D x H) - 14.2" x 9.3" x 0.94"

Weight 5.29 lb.

Warranty 1 Year Standard Parts and Labor

Disclaimer Battery life will vary depending on the product model, configuration, power management settings, applications used, and wireless settings. The maximum capacity of the battery will decrease with time and use. Test results based on independent third party testing.

-------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: I found the same model at a Bestbuy in southern Michigan and tried to purchase it for a family member.
Same display model deal as store #802 sold me, except this time they had the box for it.
After 15 minutes of CSRs going back and forth, handing my receipt from Bestbuy store 802 from one CSR to another,
I finally got to speak with a mgr. (who was holding my receipt showing the $499 price when she approached me).

After several minutes of negotiations, I took back my receipt and walked away. The mgr would not come
down to the $499 price.
Said that taking $400 off of the samsung was TOO BIG of a discount.

Best Buy
Need a Best Buy coupon that earns 1.5% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

Samsung i7 Laptop NP700z5c-s01ub
Thanks djrsn00
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I'M FAT!

NENSC (Jan. 06, 2013 @ 9:27p) |

You don't have any friends

drmorb (Jan. 06, 2013 @ 10:15p) |

I've got a Samsung Series 3 laptop with AMD quad core processor that I bought from Staples last year and I would not rec... (more)

lousygolfer (Jan. 06, 2013 @ 11:40p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Great deal if you can find it at this price. With the GT 630m video card, it's a somewhat capable gaming machine.

I noticed that unit at a bestbuy, during my holiday shopping travels.
I'll try using that receipt and see what I can do, if anything.

I am a tad leary of buying a display unit though. Just my .02 cents.
Even if I did get the price down anywhere near the $500 mark, I'd want a warranty.
The BB extended warranty was like $289 for 3 years. YIKES!!!!

disenchanted said:   I noticed that unit at a bestbuy, during my holiday shopping travels.
I'll try using that receipt and see what I can do, if anything.

I am a tad leary of buying a display unit though. Just my .02 cents.
Even if I did get the price down anywhere near the $500 mark, I'd want a warranty.
The BB extended warranty was like $289 for 3 years. YIKES!!!!

I was able to get a Square trade 3 year for $129 - minus 35% (lots of coupon codes out there for 30% or 35% off) = grand total of $99.

$99 for 3 years is fairly good.

Will try and find one in the morning. My ASUS i5 died three days after warranty expired (mobo failed) and AMEX refunded my $$.

alamo11 said:   Will try and find one in the morning. My ASUS i5 died three days after warranty expired (mobo failed) and AMEX refunded my $$.

It's amazing that most people don't know that the major credit cards double the mfg. warranty up to 1 year. I have 3 friends get either a replacement or refund under this credit card benefit. PS. not one said hey Neil, you saved me a bundle, let me buy you dinner.

In stock at my local Bestbuy for 899.99 (price shows online)

neiley said:   alamo11 said:   Will try and find one in the morning. My ASUS i5 died three days after warranty expired (mobo failed) and AMEX refunded my $$.

It's amazing that most people don't know that the major credit cards double the mfg. warranty up to 1 year. I have 3 friends get either a replacement or refund under this credit card benefit. PS. not one said hey Neil, you saved me a bundle, let me buy you dinner.

But you helped your friends out of your kindness, not for a free dinner right? Do you always treat your friend to a dinner if they give you helpful tips? You helped your friends out. So be happy with your action and don't expect something in return

Btw, the extra one year warranty from AMEX even works on your cell phone.

docjoo said:   neiley said:   alamo11 said:   Will try and find one in the morning. My ASUS i5 died three days after warranty expired (mobo failed) and AMEX refunded my $$.

But you helped your friends out of your kindness, not for a free dinner right? Do you always treat your friend to a dinner if they give you helpful tips? You helped your friends out. So be happy with your action and don't expect something in return

Btw, the extra one year warranty from AMEX even works on your cell phone.

Actually, if my friend saved me $1500, I would surely ask him out to dinner. However, I didn't expect anything but the gesture would have been nice.

neiley said:   alamo11 said:   Will try and find one in the morning. My ASUS i5 died three days after warranty expired (mobo failed) and AMEX refunded my $$.

I agree that a Credit card's extra year is good for those times that something works until after the original warranty, then it quits working.
It certainly is a great thing to find out that your item IS STILL COVERED.

But not necessarily for the first year.
I bought a 15" lcd tv from a major retail store 2 years ago and the terms on its warranty suk'd. It failed after 5 months, While under Mfg warranty. With S&H it would have cost me more than the price of the tv itself to get it repaired.

So waiting for the second year to roll around, so the CC coverage would cover it, is a pain. (as in storage of the item and box; in case the CC wants the item for inspection)

This time I opted for Square trade and decided to try it in case I have problems. Unit's charge is still on my CC, that offers 1 year warranty, so I'm covered both ways.
I just love to throw the Square trade name at the in-store clerks anyway, to show them "their warranty" prices are like 2x or 3x TOO HIGH!

[speakng to salesperson] So let's see mr Bestbuy sales dude, Bestbuy wants $300 for 3 years? Are you kidding me? I'm insuring a middle-o-da-road laptop, not a new Corvette. I'll insure it for 3 years, but.....it will be at Squaretrade for $109.
Unless, of course mr sales person, you can pricematch squaretrade's pricing. I'd consider it.

I bought a similar 2nd gen i7 laptop with the 630 video card from Staples for $630 including $36 in taxes about 3 weeks ago. I think that offer was posted here.

So these are pretty readily available in the $600 price range. $500 is a great deal on an i7. Good luck all!

fkebay said:   neiley said:   alamo11 said:   Will try and find one in the morning. My ASUS i5 died three days after warranty expired (mobo failed) and AMEX refunded my $$.

I agree that a Credit card's extra year is good for those times that something works until after the original warranty, then it quits working.

I bought a 15" lcd tv from a major retail store 2 years ago and the terms on its warranty suk'd. It failed after 5 months, While under Mfg warranty. With S&H it would have cost me more than the price of the tv itself to get it repaired.

So waiting for the second year to roll around, so the CC coverage would cover it, is a pain. (as in storage of the item and box; in case the CC wants the item for inspection)

This time I opted for Square trade and decided to try it in case I have problems. Unit's charge is still on my CC, that offers 1 year warranty, so I'm covered both ways.
I just love to throw the Square trade name at the in-store clerks anyway, to show them "their warranty" prices are like 2x or 3x TOO HIGH!

[speakng to salesperson] So let's see mr Bestbuy sales dude, Bestbuy wants $300 for 3 years? Are you kidding me? I'm insuring a middle-o-da-road laptop, not a new Corvette. I'll insure it for 3 years, but.....it will be at Squaretrade for $109.
Unless, of course mr sales person, you can pricematch squaretrade's pricing. I'd consider it.

but square trade runs concurrently with manufacturers warranty on laptops, you are losing money for that. I want to like square trade, but that policy sucks. I bought ASUS with 2 year warranty, wanted to extend it, but I'd be paying for 3 years but only get 1 yr service.

FrugalFreak said:   fkebay said:   neiley said:   alamo11 said:   Will try and find one in the morning. My ASUS i5 died three days after warranty expired (mobo failed) and AMEX refunded my $$.

but square trade runs concurrently with manufacturers warranty on laptops, you are losing money for that. I want to like square trade, but that policy sucks. I bought ASUS with 2 year warranty, wanted to extend it, but I'd be paying for 3 years but only get 1 yr service.

Thanks for the info on Square Trade FrugalFreak.

Seems I got some bum info from a coworker in regards to ST.

FrugalFreak said:   

That's no different than most extended warranties so no big deal once you get past that.

Actually most extended warranty don't do squat until the manufacturer's coverage is exhausted. Sometimes parts only, sometimes labor, sometimes both. Just depends.

cpabster said:   Actually most extended warranty don't do squat until the manufacturer's coverage is exhausted. Sometimes parts only, sometimes labor, sometimes both. Just depends.

Normal manufacturer's warranty doesn't cover accidental damage (droppage, etc) either, right, but ST has that option. I have only purchased ST coverage for Ipod Touch for the kids, I typically don't buy extended warranties of any type...only bought these recently (and includes the accidentally damage coverage) but haven't had to use it yet.

How does the Extended Warranty work?
When you charge the cost of a covered product with your American Express® Card, the Extended Warranty1 will extend the terms of the original manufacturer's warranty for a period of time equal to the duration of the original manufacturer's warranty, up to one additional year on warranties of five years or less that are eligible in the U.S.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/card-benefits/extended-warranty/faq.html

Our companions' luggage was lost on a recent vacation trip.
They called in distress. I asked one question, knowing the answer: "Did you charge the tickets on AMEX?"
AMEX covered them for $700 for clothing and other incidentals.
The luggage was found the next day at a different airport and returned.

Benefits like these are offered because few people invoke them, but they can be a pleasant surprise for your personal balance sheet.

Found one in Pittsburgh, manager said its too big of a discount on a current machine that hasn't even really been on sale yet. No go!

Found one in Ohio, manager didn't price match. Purchased it for $700+tax. I will email best buy and try another price match but not keeping my hopes high.

about 45 days ago,(actually still in rt period from xmas) i stumbled on the NP700z7c-s01, 17" GTX650m, 1080p, for $819, display model with zero marks. Made it my xmas present. These are pretty osx86 friendly as well I found out. Love the unibody type look. Best Buy also hooked it up with 36 mo, no interest. which helped as well at this time. financing altering from store manager level is a courtesy they will do for you some times. went from 18 to 36. Im suprised you get any financing promo with open box. Dell , sure as hell doesnt do that.

Its very easy to remove the optical and get a caddy, relocate the 1tb 5400 RPM drive. , and use the sata III slot for the SSD. No Msata in these but have the 16gb express Cache, Im very pleased with the series 7 chronos, clean and functional. very slim in my opinion. Replaced a travelmate 8200 (aka the space heater) with this.

I'M FAT!

You don't have any friends

I've got a Samsung Series 3 laptop with AMD quad core processor that I bought from Staples last year and I would not recommend it. The touchpad was so hypersensitive that I was constantly inadvertently sending the cursor all over the screen. I exchanged it for another one, which was a bit better, but still not really usable, until I installed some Gellyfish wrist pads I bought from Amazon that elevated my wrists away from the touchpad. The power connection is too loose and notwithstanding 4gb of RAM and a quad-core processor, it frequently locks up on me, when I really push it by some outrageous usage like having maybe 8 tabs open in IE8 (none video - just garden variety stuff like Yahoo, Hotmail and FW.com) and several 1-2 page documents in Word, all running at the same time - frequently it will show anywhere from 55-100% CPU usage with that minimal level of activity. The screen is pretty mediocre, too, with a bit of a pixellated text display even at native resolution and somewhat dull colors. I won't buy another Samsung laptop.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.