40% off Any Membership @ Angie's List

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Angie's List
40% off Any Membership
Use this promo code to save 40% on your membership (expires January 6, 2013)
coupon code:
COZY30

Why Angie's List is better than free review sites:

No anonymous reviews.
Certified data collection process prevents companies and providers from reporting on themselves or their competitors.
Our Complaint Resolution Team will intercede if a home repair or health experience goes bad.
Companies and providers respond to reports, so you get the whole story.

What you get:

Access to great local reviews on AngiesList.com.
Live support through our call center.
Award-winning Angie's List magazine.
Access to our Complaint Resolution Team.
Discounts from highly rated service companies.

Member Summary

Logo
Thanks JayMatt19
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I wonder if you can review them on their own site, or whether that'll break the space time continuum?

scoobydooby (Apr. 19, 2013 @ 5:42p) |

I joined Angie's List for a discounted three-year membership.

Since then I have had offers (which I did) for a $25 Amazon... (more)

SArledge (Apr. 19, 2013 @ 9:13p) |

I had not provided any reviews. I emailed them and they claimed to have refunded me. I haven't tried to login. I was con... (more)

billrubin (Apr. 19, 2013 @ 9:56p) |

From email -

Renew your Angie's List membership today
and receive 40% off!
Use promo code COZY30 by 01/06/2013.

But see here and - -.net

--------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks nobodyred at _ _ :

"Dear

You haven't submitted any reviews this year.

That's OK, we get it. You're busy. But we want your feedback. Whether it was good, bad or kind of forgettable, we want to hear about your experiences with local service providers. In fact, we'd like to reward you for the effort:

Now through December 21, we want to send you a $20 Visa® Prepaid Reward Card just for submitting reviews. Simply follow these steps:
Step 1. Click "Get Started."
Step 2. Submit three reviews of businesses you've hired recently.

Go ahead - it's the easiest $20 you'll earn this year!
"
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I wonder if this works for current members to extend, or just new/gift memberships ?

Still overpriced. Why pay for rigged reviews?

I think it's just to buy new memberships.
@dishdude -- why do you say the reviews are rigged? You take that risk with any site to which you respond. Do you have some experience with them you'd like to share?

I will say that Angie's List is only useful if a lot of people has written reviews in you area for the particular service for which you are searching. If there aren't many reviewers in that area/service, you'll see a lot of N/A's. In that case, I agree it is overpriced, no matter what the price.

I have used several of the deals and have been very satisfied with the price and service. I used a deal for garage door tune-up, gutter repair, rotted wood replacement.

2cheap2eat said:   I wonder if this works for current members to extend, or just new/gift memberships ?

Tried to add additional year membership with promo code but no go.

I was interested in Angie's List until I saw a contractor on it that I have personally tried to take to small claims, he has been sued five other times in the last theee years and had his license revoked. He had somehow put himself on the list, using his revoked license no.

I used it for a year, here's the low down in my view:

- It's ok for high volume, single craft type of contractor, ie, Windows, Floor, plumbing, Roofing, Tree Cutting, etc... but no good for general contractor type because they get fewer reviews and the way that A.L. list them make it hard to see just exactly what they cover.

- For those single craft type contractor, just do a google search and find their website, if they are highly reviewed on A.L. or Checkbook (another review site), they will listed it on their website.

Bongomom said:   I was interested in Angie's List until I saw a contractor on it that I have personally tried to take to small claims, he has been sued five other times in the last theee years and had his license revoked. He had somehow put himself on the list, using his revoked license no.

You should consider submitting a review/letting Angie's List know his history...

azs1 said:   Bongomom said:   I was interested in Angie's List until I saw a contractor on it that I have personally tried to take to small claims, he has been sued five other times in the last theee years and had his license revoked. He had somehow put himself on the list, using his revoked license no.

You should consider submitting a review/letting Angie's List know his history...

+1

Agreed, How are they supposed to know this sitting in their offices miles away?

A lawsuit required a user to remove part of her review from Angie's List:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2012/12/09/166815629/...

With Angie's List, I believe only members can submit a review. Not sure if a contractor can just add their names on the list. I know members can submit names asking other members if they have prior experiences with a contractor that you may be interested in.

I'm in.

New Member 4 yr subscription of the highest bundle of services: $93.00
40% off coupon above (THANK YOU OP)
20% for checking out with Paypal (on their checkout page)
$44.64 total

It seems that there may be a sliding scale because they want you to put in your zip code for pricing
http://my.angieslist.com/angieslist/visitor/price.aspx

Don't forget 27.5% Cash Back

Signed up and then submitted a cancellation request. To invasive on their questioning and search engine. They don't need to know my phone number or age of my house and they have no business link the search engine to my home address.

Nice con!

PELarson said:   Signed up and then submitted a cancellation request. To invasive on their questioning and search engine. They don't need to know my phone number or age of my house and they have no business link the search engine to my home address.

Nice con!

Curious as to why they would need that as well. I'm tempted to join to identify some tradesmen for the house, but I don't feel like that stuff is necessary for me to join a site where I review businesses.

When I see an Internet-based service advertise on television (a lot! and I don't watch much TV) - I wonder about its legitimacy. Now with a 40% off coupon plus 27.5% Cash Back? They're obviously not getting the number of people they need to make the service useful...

I joined last year and I thought my membership had expired, but I got email today offering a $25 Shell gift card for only $5. Was able to login and buy it. I think the $20 in savings is more than I paid with the 40% off, Paypal discount and ebates at the time. If you join through Paypal, be sure to go to the section on Paypal where payment authorizations are stored and remove Angie's List so they cannot automatically charge your renewal. Turns out they had offered a similar deal on a Lowes gift card that I missed. If they keep doing this, it could make the membership more than pay for itself. I have not gotten the $20 gift card offer that is mentioned here.

I found them to be marginally useful. My biggest complaint was that they wanted me to pay extra for a nearby zone even though providers from that zone are often more relevant for me that the large NYC metro area zone that they've got me in.

billrubin said:   I joined last year and I thought my membership had expired, but I got email today offering a $25 Shell gift card for only $5. Was able to login and buy it. I think the $20 in savings is more than I paid with the 40% off, Paypal discount and ebates at the time. If you join through Paypal, be sure to go to the section on Paypal where payment authorizations are stored and remove Angie's List so they cannot automatically charge your renewal. Turns out they had offered a similar deal on a Lowes gift card that I missed. If they keep doing this, it could make the membership more than pay for itself. I have not gotten the $20 gift card offer that is mentioned here.

I found them to be marginally useful. My biggest complaint was that they wanted me to pay extra for a nearby zone even though providers from that zone are often more relevant for me that the large NYC metro area zone that they've got me in.

from the other thread (now closed):
At Paypal, go to My Account-->Profile-->My Money-->My Preapproved Payments --> click "update"

azs1 said:   Bongomom said:   I was interested in Angie's List until I saw a contractor on it that I have personally tried to take to small claims, he has been sued five other times in the last theee years and had his license revoked. He had somehow put himself on the list, using his revoked license no.

6 Reasons Angie's List Sucks

I thought about this - what's to stop a contractor from signing up as a private citizen and giving himself a great review?

tvguy05 said:   I thought about this - what's to stop a contractor from signing up as a private citizen and giving himself a great review?

Probably about as much as the Yelp "reviewers" who apparently signed up just to rate that one place. But at least with the volume on there, I can usually find some legit looking reviews.

So, I just noticed a $29 pending charge on the credit card I used to buy the $5 Shell gift card that I had previously mentioned. It appears that once you pay for one of their deals, they keep the credit card on file and use it for your membership renewal. Being the suspicious type, I suspect that the only reason I received the $5 off was to get me to give them a credit card number so they could auto-renew me, as I just looked on the site and noticed that they do have my credit card as payment type. This will teach me to give them a real card and not a prepaid card with very little money left on it. I just emailed them and told them to refund the renewal and told them it was pretty sleazy of them to do.

I don't love Angie's List, but I find it useful. But I have no understanding of the "6 reasons" link. I write a review of any business I want to that I've used. Who pays to write a review? I've never heard of that.

billrubin said:   So, I just noticed a $29 pending charge on the credit card I used to buy the $5 Shell gift card that I had previously mentioned. It appears that once you pay for one of their deals, they keep the credit card on file and use it for your membership renewal. Being the suspicious type, I suspect that the only reason I received the $5 off was to get me to give them a credit card number so they could auto-renew me, as I just looked on the site and noticed that they do have my credit card as payment type. This will teach me to give them a real card and not a prepaid card with very little money left on it. I just emailed them and told them to refund the renewal and told them it was pretty sleazy of them to do.

I wonder if you can review them on their own site, or whether that'll break the space time continuum?

I joined Angie's List for a discounted three-year membership.

Since then I have had offers (which I did) for a $25 Amazon gift certificate and a $20 Visa gift card. They are for providing reviews.

I do look at them when I am looking for contractors. They are just one source, but people aren't shy about complaining about price, showing up late, etc. These aren't lawsuit complaint quality, but the things that many of us look for in a contractor.

BBB is also a better and free site for finding contractors, but they don't review as many.

SArledge said:   Since then I have had offers (which I did) for a $25 Amazon gift certificate and a $20 Visa gift card. They are for providing reviews.I had not provided any reviews. I emailed them and they claimed to have refunded me. I haven't tried to login. I was considering renewing at the 40% off price, plus the extra 20% from Paypal (assuming it was still available). I'll just have to remember not to give them a real credit card if I buy any of their future deals.

They had contacted me via email for my mailing address after buying the Shell gift card, claiming they were not sure if they had my correct address. I wonder if that was to get my billing address for the credit card charge.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014