• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
http://www.costco.com/.product.569035.html

Don't forget the 5% fee if you aren't a member.

Member Summary

BIGHORN 19ECB Safe
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
This is a great safe to keep the kids away from your guns. If you remove the shelves, it will hold two kids.

theRURALguy (Jan. 06, 2013 @ 8:17p) |

Nearly almost everything is made in china. Now the question is.. is it good or of great quality?

Ie people who have Apple... (more)

fujimi (Jan. 09, 2013 @ 9:40p) |

Yes it is made in China. Bighorn is the economy line of Rhino safes.

Jane2001 (Jan. 10, 2013 @ 3:27p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Now THIS is appropriate gun control!

Good price for this safe. It's been this price before but usually after a coupon. Thx for posting OP!

Several people in other forums have mentioned they called Big Horn and had them swap out the electronic keypad for a mechanical dial. Apparently it is drop-shipped directly from the manufacturer.

Just a note--always buy a bigger safe than you think you need. It might say it will hold 24 long guns, but usually it's much less with sights, etc. taking up room.

Why would you want to swap out the keypad for a dial? Is the dial more secure?

rallycobra said:   Why would you want to swap out the keypad for a dial? Is the dial more secure?
No batteries to worry about.

rallycobra said:   Why would you want to swap out the keypad for a dial? Is the dial more secure?
For preppers, it won't be affected by EMP!

A huge plus:
FREE SHIPPING!
Having it delivered is a helluba lot nicer than hauling it home myself!

I bought this safe a year ago from Costco for this price and I really like it. First off, I called the manufacturer right after I ordered it to inquire about swapping the digital keypad for the analog dial and they said that was something they used to do but they absolutely will no longer do it on this safe model anymore. They were very friendly about it, but it was clear that no amount of pleading was going to get them to budge. So unless you have different luck than I did, I think it's "safe" to say that that is a dead part of the deal. So if you buy it just set yourself a recurring calendar item to pop up every year or whatever to remind you to replace the batteries. Anyway, continuing the customer service aspect, I called the manufacturer back with questions about various things and they were fantastic to work with every time. Very positive customer service experience with these folks. One last thing, some of the huge huge safes are heavy enough to offset the weight of the door when it opens. This is NOT ONE OF THOSE SAFES. It feels very substantial and secure for what it is (a safe in this price range ain't gonna be a bank vault, y'all), but my point is that you MUST MUST MUST bolt it down! When the door swings open the whole unit becomes unstable and will likely fall on you. I bolted mine down the first day I got it and it feels nice and stable and more secure than I would have expected for this price point. Good safe. Good price. Recommended.

This safe is a good deal for what your getting for the price. It's a great deal with the free shipping included. I've lost count of how many safe deals I've passed on because shipping killed whatever savings there is.

Oh that's a good point about the shipping. This is delivered via freight carrier on a pallet. I think when they call you they warn you that the driver will basically just pull it off the truck and then you're responsible for it after that. In my case the driver pulled it to right outside my front door on the pallet jack. Honestly I've had a lot of things delivered via freight carrier and I've never had a driver that was a hard-fast stickler for the rules -- they'll pull stuff into my garage or whatever (just not in the house). Anyway with the safe I have an oversized hand truck dolly thing that I used to get it inside from the front door. The bottom of the safe is flat and finished the same as the sides and top so if you have carpet it is very easy to slide it around after you get it off the pallet. I moved it around and got it in place by myself with no trouble.

thanks OP, in for one.

OhRob said:   A huge plus:
FREE SHIPPING!
Having it delivered is a helluba lot nicer than hauling it home myself!

I believe if you read the small print, it is curbside shipping. A truck will drop it on the street and it is up to you to move it from there. Maybe you could make your own deal with the driver, but Costco doesn't promise to get it into your home.

I've never seen this safe in person, so this isn't about this particular deal.

But most of the <$1000 safes have thick doors and thin walls. Not really that much protection.

Here's a thread about this particular safe with average reviews and nit-picker reviews. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=498484

Here's a YouTube video about gun safes for the interests. Very educational in my opinion.
Gun Safes "The Truth"

yeah03 said:   rallycobra said:   Why would you want to swap out the keypad for a dial? Is the dial more secure?
For preppers, it won't be affected by EMP!

Old school people love it. My friend has his dial start going bad after awhile. He notices it when he dials in the numbers, and it gets finicky. Gets worse over time, but good thing its easy to fix. Get one of each if you can afford it (electonic and dial). Not to start a dispute in which ones better, but the electronic one is much faster and you can do it in the dark.

My driver was nice enough to drag it into the garage. I had to unpack it and get it in from there. This is a really nice safe. Think twice about putting it up stairs. I had to re-attach most of my treads on my wooden stairs.

Acme said:   I bought this safe a year ago from Costco for this price and I really like it. First off, I called the manufacturer right after I ordered it to inquire about swapping the digital keypad for the analog dial and they said that was something they used to do but they absolutely will no longer do it on this safe model anymore. They were very friendly about it, but it was clear that no amount of pleading was going to get them to budge. So unless you have different luck than I did, I think it's "safe" to say that that is a dead part of the deal. So if you buy it just set yourself a recurring calendar item to pop up every year or whatever to remind you to replace the batteries. Anyway, continuing the customer service aspect, I called the manufacturer back with questions about various things and they were fantastic to work with every time. Very positive customer service experience with these folks. One last thing, some of the huge huge safes are heavy enough to offset the weight of the door when it opens. This is NOT ONE OF THOSE SAFES. It feels very substantial and secure for what it is (a safe in this price range ain't gonna be a bank vault, y'all), but my point is that you MUST MUST MUST bolt it down! When the door swings open the whole unit becomes unstable and will likely fall on you. I bolted mine down the first day I got it and it feels nice and stable and more secure than I would have expected for this price point. Good safe. Good price. Recommended.

After you get it full of ammo and guns, it will not tip over with the door open. I paid for a manual dial and have not swapped it out yet.

i wish people would pay the hundred dollars to have this moved to proper location. i no longer answer my phone regardless of status because i am not moving these things anymore.

1me2ao said:   i wish people would pay the hundred dollars to have this moved to proper location. i no longer answer my phone regardless of status because i am not moving these things anymore.

So, since I'm not paying anyone to move my safe you're no longer taking calls? OK.

Acme said:    It feels very substantial and secure for what it is (a safe in this price range ain't gonna be a bank vault, y'all), but my point is that you MUST MUST MUST bolt it down!

that sucks for me, since my home is a post tension slab (with specific instructions stamped into the concrete - DO NOT CUT CORE OR DRILL) I cannot bolt it down for fear of doing some real structural damage.

Many states have no sales tax on gun safes and gun locks.

I wanted to put in my 2 cents worth to agree with Acme and what dougtaylor1 said. I bought this same safe during Costco's last sale. It took the FULL amount of time to be delivered (about 6 weeks from order date). My delivery guy was the same way - dropped it on my front porch - would not move it one foot further. I have a heavy duty dolly and (as I am a big guy) thought my wife and I could move it into the house (over about a 6-inch ledge into the house - no way. We truly nearly hurt ourselves trying. Ended up paying 3 yard-workers across the street $20 to move it into the house. As mentioned, once out of its' packaging and on carpet, it was easy to move around.

Also as mentioned, when empty, the door is so heavy it acts like it will tip over - scary, but as dougtaylor mentioned, once full of guns and a couple of cans of ammo at the bottom is rock solid. I realize it will not keep a dedicated burglar with a torch or cutting wheel out for long, but it will deter the average guy with a pry bar, which I wanted...and it does provide some fire protection as well. It doesn't come close to holding the number of guns claimed, but none of them do. I have 6 long guns and a bunch of handguns in mine. Set up without the shelving on one side, you could probably get 12 (or maybe 14) total long guns. I have been well pleased with it.

jmace57 said:   I wanted to put in my 2 cents worth to agree with Acme and what dougtaylor1 said. I bought this same safe during Costco's last sale. It took the FULL amount of time to be delivered (about 6 weeks from order date). My delivery guy was the same way - dropped it on my front porch - would not move it one foot further. I have a heavy duty dolly and (as I am a big guy) thought my wife and I could move it into the house (over about a 6-inch ledge into the house - no way. We truly nearly hurt ourselves trying. Ended up paying 3 yard-workers across the street $20 to move it into the house. As mentioned, once out of its' packaging and on carpet, it was easy to move around.

Also as mentioned, when empty, the door is so heavy it acts like it will tip over - scary, but as dougtaylor mentioned, once full of guns and a couple of cans of ammo at the bottom is rock solid. I realize it will not keep a dedicated burglar with a torch or cutting wheel out for long, but it will deter the average guy with a pry bar, which I wanted...and it does provide some fire protection as well. It doesn't come close to holding the number of guns claimed, but none of them do. I have 6 long guns and a bunch of handguns in mine. Set up without the shelving on one side, you could probably get 12 (or maybe 14) total long guns. I have been well pleased with it.

you supposed to anchor it to the slab. beware post tension slabs tho. You may want to rent a little pallet jack when they deliver it.

Saw comments somewhere that the door can be detached and that would take off 1/2 of the weight. Should help out big time with moving it around.

Bought the larger Bighorn last month for $899 delivered. I did pay 2 pros to move the monster into the basement and bolt it down. Took them an hour and a half. Well worth the money so consider that before you try to do it yourself. It arrived about 2 weeks after ordering. They will call with a delivery window before coming out. Great safes for the money and also consider bolting it into a corner with the wall on the left side of the safe. It will keep crooks from using a long pry bar to get into it.

jimk59 said:   Bought the larger Bighorn last month for $899 delivered. I did pay 2 pros to move the monster into the basement and bolt it down. Took them an hour and a half. Well worth the money so consider that before you try to do it yourself. It arrived about 2 weeks after ordering. They will call with a delivery window before coming out. Great safes for the money and also consider bolting it into a corner with the wall on the left side of the safe. It will keep crooks from using a long pry bar to get into it.

Just curious how much you spent on the pros to move it into the basement and bolt it down.

yeah03 said:   Saw comments somewhere that the door can be detached and that would take off 1/2 of the weight. Should help out big time with moving it around.

I saw that, too. Couldn't figure out how it could be removed, so I got five big guys on it to get it up the stairs. As I previously mentioned, this #400 safe is not optimal to put anywhere up or down stairs. It can be done, but plan ahead.

dougtaylor1 said:   yeah03 said:   Saw comments somewhere that the door can be detached and that would take off 1/2 of the weight. Should help out big time with moving it around.

I saw that, too. Couldn't figure out how it could be removed, so I got five big guys on it to get it up the stairs. As I previously mentioned, this #400 safe is not optimal to put anywhere up or down stairs. It can be done, but plan ahead.

In case people are wondering how to get the door off - typically you open the door half way and lift up. External hinges are not for security purposes they are there to allow the door to swing open/close, the bolts keeps he door from opening when locked.

This is a glorified cabinet with very minimal fire protection. On average a house fire lasts an hour, so depending where you live (distance from fire department) with only half an hour fire protection (the safe was tested in an oven not a fire) your contents might be destroyed.

I bought it a couple months ago for the same price and love it. The delivery guy help me move it inside my front door. That was a big plus for me.

yeah03 said:   Saw comments somewhere that the door can be detached and that would take off 1/2 of the weight. Should help out big time with moving it around.

Yes, I can confirm it does come off, but I think it's more like a 25% reduction. The door weighs about 100lbs. You merely open the door and lift it straight up - very simple assuming you have the physical strength or help to do it.

I rented an appliance hand truck at the local equipment rental store to move it upstairs. A friend and I did that and it was pretty tough. Having a third person would have been safer. Also, the rubber tracks on the back of the appliance cart left marks in the carpet. The marks came out, but it might have been better to cover the stairs with something first, like an old towel. If you have carpeted floors, it'll slide on the carpet with no issues.

Watch this. One pro moves 800-lbs safe upstairs with the right equipment.

yeah03 said:   Watch this. One pro moves 800-lbs safe upstairs with the right equipment.

I checked every rental place in town for one of those. Even tried to convince one place they needed to buy one for rentals since apparently they "get a lot of people in who want to move safes up / down stairs".

EdMcK515 said:   jimk59 said:   Bought the larger Bighorn last month for $899 delivered. I did pay 2 pros to move the monster into the basement and bolt it down. Took them an hour and a half. Well worth the money so consider that before you try to do it yourself. It arrived about 2 weeks after ordering. They will call with a delivery window before coming out. Great safes for the money and also consider bolting it into a corner with the wall on the left side of the safe. It will keep crooks from using a long pry bar to get into it.

Just curious how much you spent on the pros to move it into the basement and bolt it down.

$200 which included $50 to bolt it down. Call some safe dealers, they have crews that move and install for them.

jimk59 said:   EdMcK515 said:   jimk59 said:   Bought the larger Bighorn last month for $899 delivered. I did pay 2 pros to move the monster into the basement and bolt it down. Took them an hour and a half. Well worth the money so consider that before you try to do it yourself. It arrived about 2 weeks after ordering. They will call with a delivery window before coming out. Great safes for the money and also consider bolting it into a corner with the wall on the left side of the safe. It will keep crooks from using a long pry bar to get into it.

$200 which included $50 to bolt it down. Call some safe dealers, they have crews that move and install for them.

Thanks, I'll look into. Might be worth the money to save the hassle.

Is this a Made in China safe?

This is a great safe to keep the kids away from your guns. If you remove the shelves, it will hold two kids.

jlbmw2002 said:   Is this a Made in China safe?

Nearly almost everything is made in china. Now the question is.. is it good or of great quality?

Ie people who have Apple products? Iphone 3,4,5 ? its all China made but the quality is better then the cheaper generic Chinese made imitations.

jlbmw2002 said:   Is this a Made in China safe?

Yes it is made in China. Bighorn is the economy line of Rhino safes.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014