• Go to page :
  • 123 4
  • Text Only
I just received an email from Amazon that says
"select TurboTax titles are on sale, featuring the lowest prices of the year.
Offer valid only on March 25, 2013, while supplies last."

At the moment the prices seem to be the same as have been recently, anyone know if the sale tomorrow will be significant?

Just got a camel alert about TT Premier + State at an all-time low of $45.xx at AMZN.

http://www.amazon.com/TurboTax-Premier-Federal-E-File-State/dp/B...

Very tempt, but miss. Still have a look.

Google Offers

Google Offers for H&R Block Federal & State At Home Deluxe for $22.

It says "$22 for H&R Block At Home Deluxe software for Windows ($55 value)"

satishny said:   Google Offers

Google Offers for H&R Block Federal & State At Home Deluxe for $22.

It says "$22 for H&R Block At Home Deluxe software for Windows ($55 value)"

under $20 on Amazon

Rats - grabbed the HRB P&B version for a few bucks more not too long ago... Good things come to those who wait.

Just picked up the H&R Block Deluxe + state at Target for 17.99 (after price match with Amazon.com)- $5.00 Target GC = 12.99 (plus sales tax if applicable).

I don't know if I missed something or what, but IIRC, I did the Vanguard thing last year and kept everything online (I don't think you download anything) and that worked fine. However, this year, the cost is impossible to overlook at Amazon. It's literally half the price. Sure I have to download the thing and it doesn't stay in the *cloud* but unless I missed something from last year, I'll tolerate the download for the extra dinner's worth discount.

(shrug)

Amazon price for H&R tax deluxe is $18.00. I printed out the page and BEST BUY matched the price. This may not be the cheapest price . but it saved me 60 %.

Kudos to kmonkey @ SD for the following link which was still active as of yesterday, 4/4/13.
Linky
When you create a new user name fed and state returns are just $11.90.
The initial page mentions $17.95 but after free registration the price listed is $11.90 for the ultimate bundle.
From the confirm page:

"Your TaxAct Fees - Special Preview Pricing
For Ultimate Bundle:
Your fee is $11.90 and includes your Federal and State return
Additional State returns are $14.95
For more info, click on "My TaxAct" on the next screen."

hocuspocusblade said:   Kudos to kmonkey @ SD for the following link which was still active as of yesterday, 4/4/13.
Linky
When you create a new user name fed and state returns are just $11.90.
The initial page mentions $17.95 but after free registration the price listed is $11.90 for the ultimate bundle.
From the confirm page:

"Your TaxAct Fees - Special Preview Pricing
For Ultimate Bundle:
Your fee is $11.90 and includes your Federal and State return
Additional State returns are $14.95
For more info, click on "My TaxAct" on the next screen."

There is already a FW thread about this deal here: www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1239618/

Apologies for my repost 'fivetalents' and credit goes to you as the OP!

hocuspocusblade said:   Apologies for my repost 'fivetalents' and credit goes to you as the OP!

No problems. I didn't put it in the QS because the mods had expired it at the time I made this thread in January, but it still appears to be working for most folks.

taxes are nothing but a scam for most, like insurance

patience is a virtue

ctgolfer said:   taxes are nothing but a scam for most, like insurance

Yeah, because who needs streets, schools, garbage pickup, infrastructure, etc etc etc.?! TOTAL scam.

http://www.thepcsoftwareconnectionstore.com/turbotax-deluxe-fede...

TurboTax deluxe + state for $31.99. I used it last night and it works.

bugsie said:   ctgolfer said:   taxes are nothing but a scam for most, like insurance

Yeah, because who needs streets, schools, garbage pickup, infrastructure, etc etc etc.?! TOTAL scam.

I want to live like the old days, outhouses, rivers, log cabins....no cement ponds or frills!! Just let me keep all my money and not subsidize the dead beats.

Went to file an extension with my copy of H&R Block yesterday ("purchased" using the deal posted here a long time ago) and couldn't believe that they wanted to charge me $19.95 even though it knew that I had a free efile code. So I just had it prepare the paper form and then signed up at TaxAct.com, where it allowed me to do submit both the Federal and NY extensions online and do direct debit so I didn't have to mail a check.

I thought it was really a sleazy thing to do, charging for the extension, even though they see that you have efiles available. Worst case they should offer to use one of the 5 efiles for the extension. Left a bad taste in my mouth for H&R Block, and I can't imagine that I'm the only one.

billrubin said:   Went to file an extension with my copy of H&R Block yesterday ("purchased" using the deal posted here a long time ago) and couldn't believe that they wanted to charge me $19.95 even though it knew that I had a free efile code. So I just had it prepare the paper form and then signed up at TaxAct.com, where it allowed me to do submit both the Federal and NY extensions online and do direct debit so I didn't have to mail a check.

I thought it was really a sleazy thing to do, charging for the extension, even though they see that you have efiles available. Worst case they should offer to use one of the 5 efiles for the extension. Left a bad taste in my mouth for H&R Block, and I can't imagine that I'm the only one.

I discovered a few years ago that filing an extension through H&R Block was not the way to go. (I don't remember the details, but probably similar to your experience.) I filed the extension via TurboTax's website both last year and the year before without any problem, and no fees. I did not owe tax, so I don't know how that would work with TurboTax.

I was very unimpressed with H&R Block's program this year. I've used it without any problems for many years, but this year I found it buggy, and they removed a lot of Deduction Pro's functionality by supposedly integrating it into the H&R Block program (they took away the parts of it I was using, and I didn't use what they had integrated). I will be seriously considering other options for next year.

hbg1 said:   I discovered a few years ago that filing an extension through H&R Block was not the way to go. (I don't remember the details, but probably similar to your experience.) I filed the extension via TurboTax's website both last year and the year before without any problem, and no fees. I did not owe tax, so I don't know how that would work with TurboTax.

I was very unimpressed with H&R Block's program this year. I've used it without any problems for many years, but this year I found it buggy, and they removed a lot of Deduction Pro's functionality by supposedly integrating it into the H&R Block program (they took away the parts of it I was using, and I didn't use what they had integrated). I will be seriously considering other options for next year.

A co-worker used TurboTax's website to get an extension but it did not offer the ability to efile the NYS extension as TaxAct did. My only complaint about TaxAct was that if you wanted to use the free edition, you could not import any information from previous years, so I had to re-enter stuff. I didn't check to see whether I could sign up for one of the pay packages and file an extension without actually paying (i.e., it was not clear when they collected the money). In previous years I think I used TaxSlayer (or maybe it was TaxAct) to efile my extension and found out the hard way that it would not let me pay the state tax due electronically. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that I was able to efile both Federal and state for free AND give them my checking account number to debit and did not have to mail anything (especially since it was after 5pm by the time I did the extension!).

I have not gotten around to doing my donations yet so I guess I will find out later about the lack of features in Deduction Pro. I did not like Block as much as TurboTax, but the price was right.

I knew that my co-worker was home working on extensions so I sent him email to tell him about TaxAct being free and able to e-file both, but he did not see my email. He ended up having to mail the NYS extension out today after discovering that TurboTax would not efile it.

billrubin said:   hbg1 said:   I discovered a few years ago that filing an extension through H&R Block was not the way to go. (I don't remember the details, but probably similar to your experience.) I filed the extension via TurboTax's website both last year and the year before without any problem, and no fees. I did not owe tax, so I don't know how that would work with TurboTax.

A co-worker used TurboTax's website to get an extension but it did not offer the ability to efile the NYS extension as TaxAct did. My only complaint about TaxAct was that if you wanted to use the free edition, you could not import any information from previous years, so I had to re-enter stuff. I didn't check to see whether I could sign up for one of the pay packages and file an extension without actually paying (i.e., it was not clear when they collected the money). In previous years I think I used TaxSlayer (or maybe it was TaxAct) to efile my extension and found out the hard way that it would not let me pay the state tax due electronically. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that I was able to efile both Federal and state for free AND give them my checking account number to debit and did not have to mail anything (especially since it was after 5pm by the time I did the extension!).

I have not gotten around to doing my donations yet so I guess I will find out later about the lack of features in Deduction Pro. I did not like Block as much as TurboTax, but the price was right.

I knew that my co-worker was home working on extensions so I sent him email to tell him about TaxAct being free and able to e-file both, but he did not see my email. He ended up having to mail the NYS extension out today after discovering that TurboTax would not efile it.

My state doesn't require a separate extension to be filed, so I wasn't aware of that issue with TurboTax. And I know I had to create an account with them, but I don't remember if it saved any of my info. As for the lack of DeductionPro features, it looks like the only thing they brought in was calculating donated-item values. Nothing for money donations or medical expenses. You have to calculate all of that on your own. (I created a spreadsheet, which I'll reuse next year.) I've never tried TurboTax, but next year may be the year for that, unless there are better options.

If anyone reading this has any feedback on how different programs compare to others, I'd be interested in hearing about it. Personally I'm looking for a program I can have on disk and install when needed, rather than relying on an external website to store my data (and maintain the program).

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014