• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
• Manufacturer Refurbished; comes with 90-day warranty.
Business class laptop that meets the military standard MIL-STD 810F for vibration, dust, humidity, altitude, and high temperature.
Easily replace your optical with an optional secondary hard drive or upgrade to the next-generation optical drive with the Upgrade Bay with Dual HDD Support. Having a second hard drive installed allows RAID 1 Mirroring or RAID 0 Striping.
Link - Onsale.com

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
yeah ..ponder that.
The 6930 came out in july 2008
http://gizmodo.com/395586/hp-elitebook-6930p-one-badass-business...

This... (more)

SupTech (Jan. 04, 2013 @ 11:35p) |

These laptops are bricks. I have the latest generation one and it's pretty heavy.

cr3s (Jan. 05, 2013 @ 1:17a) |

BTW, 8530W with Quadro 770M and WSXGA+ (Last of the 15.4". I prefer FHD+, but for the price, hard to complain) for $320:... (more)

dbphillips (Jan. 06, 2013 @ 2:17a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › HP

Just as an FYI for anyone who may not realize it, but this machine is pretty ancient, using CPU technology that's five generations old.

Core 2 Duo - Better than a Microsoft Surface though, pop Windows 8 on it and run WinRT apps. Not useless, but not great for general use either.

charleskoz said:   Just as an FYI for anyone who may not realize it, but this machine is pretty ancient, using CPU technology that's five generations old.

Agreed but not the reason why I would pass on this. Once HP screws you (as they did I) on a laptop defect/repair ... you never go back.

asuka said:   Core 2 Duo - Better than a Microsoft Surface though, pop Windows 8 on it and run WinRT apps. Not useless, but not great for general use either.

I hate to break it to you, but the Quad Core Cortex A9 in the Surface is beefier than this old Core2Duo. Also, you can't just "run winRT" apps on Windows 8 - only Windows 8 RT can run RT apps, and you can't just download and install RT on anything other than dedicated RT devices like Surface.

asuka said:   Core 2 Duo - Better than a Microsoft Surface though, pop Windows 8 on it and run WinRT apps. Not useless, but not great for general use either.

HUH ?
I have a couple of the 6930P machines around here. Very good corporate laptops.
Run win XP / Win 7 as well as any of the current crop.( For most people ;-}

Main problem with the above offer is you have NO idea what you are getting ..!
There is a huge range of 6930P with different display resolutions and video chipsets.
Also battery are likely to be semi dead. Though eBay has 6 cells for $18 and 9 cells for $24 .
Again these are corporate machines ..so you got the whole docking stations,dual hard drive, etc thing available.

That being said these things are now over 3 years old ..corporate lease returns .. I'd say the price is a bit high.

Positives:
LCD uses LED technology - new 14.1-inch diagonal Illumi-Lite, WXGA, anti-glare 1280 x 800 (its listed)
ATI Mobility RadeonTM HD 3450, with 256 MB of dedicated video memory (discrete graphics)
Mobile Intel® GMA 4500MHD (integrated graphics)
Memory is upgradable to 8 GB (DDR2 PC2-6400)
Two hard drives, upgrading to SSD in RAID 0 can increase performance significantly

Looks like the resolution would be 1280x800 for those who care.

CPU is listed incorrectly:
Its Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T9550 (2.66 GHz, 6 MB L2 Cache, 1066 MHz FSB)

DUDSTER said:   charleskoz said:   Just as an FYI for anyone who may not realize it, but this machine is pretty ancient, using CPU technology that's five generations old.

Agreed but not the reason why I would pass on this. Once HP screws you (as they did I) on a laptop defect/repair ... you never go back.

I love HP laptops in combination with a 2 yesr SquareTrade warranty. I am betting that the laptop will break within that time and so far it has worked out. This basically allows me to upgrade to a current generation laptop every two years or so for the cost of the warranty. With a 30% discount the cost was $90. On my last HP laptop, about 1.5 years after purchase, the top cover would not close because one one of the hinges was bad. I filed a claim with SquareTrade who sent me a prepaid box to ship the laptop in for repairs. A few days later they shoot me an email to say it can't be repaired and about a week later a check arrives for the full purchase price. A few days after that the hard drive comes back. So my cost for using that laptop over the last 1.5 years was $90. Plus the time to backup and restore my data. This was my 2nd rise and repeat. So HP, please don't make your laptops better!

Where did I miss mention of the operating system loaded on this, or is there not one? XP maybe?

scoobydooby said:   asuka said:   Core 2 Duo - Better than a Microsoft Surface though, pop Windows 8 on it and run WinRT apps. Not useless, but not great for general use either.I hate to break it to you, but the Quad Core Cortex A9 in the Surface is beefier than this old Core2Duo. Also, you can't just "run winRT" apps on Windows 8 - only Windows 8 RT can run RT apps, and you can't just download and install RT on anything other than dedicated RT devices like Surface.and not to mention that RT apps are really designed around a touch interface.

Nothing wrong with a Core 2 Duo, especially something higher end such as the T9550, raw CPU benchmark would place this between a first generation i3 and i5. Sure there are other bottlenecks on the system, such as an older chipset, but if you stuck an SSD in one of these you could have a pretty quick machine. Plus, as mentioned above, these are business machines, so the build quality is far superior than your usual low priced Best Buy special.

DDR2 vs DDR3

scoobydooby said:   asuka said:   Core 2 Duo - Better than a Microsoft Surface though, pop Windows 8 on it and run WinRT apps. Not useless, but not great for general use either.

I hate to break it to you, but the Quad Core Cortex A9 in the Surface is beefier than this old Core2Duo. Also, you can't just "run winRT" apps on Windows 8 - only Windows 8 RT can run RT apps, and you can't just download and install RT on anything other than dedicated RT devices like Surface.

The only apps specific to "Windows 8 RT" are the Microsoft Office apps that come preinstalled on the Surface. The rest of the apps are just normal windows apps or Windows Store apps, the latter run on all versions of Windows 8.

No advertised specs ?

lordoffire said:   DDR2 vs DDR3

And DDR2 memory has gotten crazy expensive. 8GB adds 50% to the price.

But I have a 8530W workstation from this generation with 8GB and Quadro 770 and it still zips right along. Of course I added an SSD and changed to a P-series C2D because the T9550 required heat sink paste replacement once a year (I hear the service woes above), but still, can't really complain, considering I got it for half price 2-1/2 years ago.

But $238, plus $25? shipping (they have an estimator on the product page, but it pushes you to the account login), plus $100 Squaretrade, plus $100 for SSD, plus $130 for memory = $600 for a 3 year old computer. Nice display, though. Good machine for the right person, especially if they can use it as-is, plus Squaretrade.

scoobydooby said:   asuka said:   Core 2 Duo - Better than a Microsoft Surface though, pop Windows 8 on it and run WinRT apps. Not useless, but not great for general use either.

Actually you can run "Windows Store" apps (previously called Metro and Windows 8 style apps) on regular old Windows 8 on Intel *provided* they do not require sensors or APIs that are not available on the platform. What you *cannot* do is run legacy applications designed for Win32 or .NET on an ARM-based WinRT system. There is a group of applications which will be able to run on any system with a WinRT stack (Windows 8, Windows Phone, WinRT tablet).

In addition, the reports of the death of the Intel Core2 Duo have been greatly exaggerated as this article explains. The big thing is the fact that the Tegra3 is *extremely* efficient and powerful (relatively) thus its use in tablets.

The bottom line is that the Core2 Duo is *still* a capable chip and worthy of consideration for a system that will not be taxed heavily with the latest games or other processor intensive applications.

dbphillips said:   lordoffire said:   DDR2 vs DDR3

And DDR2 memory has gotten crazy expensive. 8GB adds 50% to the price.

But I have a 8530W workstation from this generation with 8GB and Quadro 770 and it still zips right along. Of course I added an SSD and changed to a P-series C2D because the T9550 required heat sink paste replacement once a year (I hear the service woes above), but still, can't really complain, considering I got it for half price 2-1/2 years ago.

But $238, plus $25? shipping (they have an estimator on the product page, but it pushes you to the account login), plus $100 Squaretrade, plus $100 for SSD, plus $130 for memory = $600 for a 3 year old computer. Nice display, though. Good machine for the right person, especially if they can use it as-is, plus Squaretrade.

Free shipping at MacMall plus 2% CashBack. http://www.macmall.com/p/HP-Notebook-Computers/product~dpno~9430... OP, you might want to update your link

nice abuse work station, thanks

I used to bullseye womp rats in my core 2 duo back home... they're not much bigger than two meters.

Had this machine for work. Everyone cursed at its heavy size and screaming fan whenever cpu usage got over 50%. Gets real hot where the harddrive sometimes melts to the frame. A lot of employees left their system on 24x7 where corporate security software hogged the cpu usage constantly. Some systems got so unstable over time, probably thermal electro migration related. Flimsy construction, this is a budget laptop not a thinkpad equivalent.

Kindle HD is better than the iPad 4 ever has a shot of even being close to. So says I, so shall it be. LOL

In software development(as in... I code software): the Surface is HEADS AND TAILS better than any other tablet out there. Meaning it's amazing for productivity..... meaning ... yeah... there's not so many little... nifty Angry Birds ripoffs to play on it.... it's really more of a work horse they tried to make nicer for the iProduct addicts.

But, that's just speaking from personal experience working with it in the IT industry. I'll never understand why people think it's okay for Apple to charge for 2-4 year old technology they put a shiny cover on, and also often slam any other company when they try to do the same thing.

2.2ghz, no discrete graphics, 2gb ram, pass

How do you know?
ramtor said:   CPU is listed incorrectly:
Its Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T9550 (2.66 GHz, 6 MB L2 Cache, 1066 MHz FSB)

Sheesh. People don't know that WinRT means apps that run on the Windows 8/RT app framework.

Got tons of red for that, so pardon the caps that are about to follow...

WinRT DOES NOT equal Windows RT. Don't believe me? Bing, or Google. Don't red me for Microsoft fudging up the Lingo. If you did, you just shot the messenger, good going.

And just about any Core 2 Duo runs circles around the Surface, perhaps not in battery life, but certainly in horsepower (which I noted in my first post). I know because I have to cross-compile across x86 and ARM for a living. I'll take a Merom over a Exnyos any day (and yes, I know Surface doesn't use an Exynos, it just sounds better on those names).

And of course, there are exceptions to any rule, but even a Core 2 Duo has a shot at software decoding HD video. Good luck asking the CPU on a Surface to do that without its dedicated H.264 decoder. To those above claim otherwise, go do it, like I did, and see what happens.

In terms of raw CPU power, a Core 2 Duo is a far better bet unless you're doing single-task stuff. Which, on Surface, you'll have fun finding an app for inside that lovely evil little walled garden.... of which I want to be as far away from as possible, no different than iOS's evil little walled garden.

blueribb said:   No advertised specs ?

yeah ..ponder that.
The 6930 came out in july 2008
http://gizmodo.com/395586/hp-elitebook-6930p-one-badass-business...

This model had an almost 2 year mfgr /sale cycle, kinda impressive given the months for most consumer toys.
Corporate laptops are a different world.
;-}

Like I said, have several and more @ work .
Nice enough toys.. but these puppy's are getting old and you have no idea what you are getting.

FWIW

Our LCD panels are 1440 by 900.
All have 3GB or 4GB as that was $20 .
Cost was $550- $600 3.5 years ago as I had a contact at ZONES
All had 3 year world wide warranty... onsite for some of them.
160GB HD though a bunch are now running dual 500GB ..again for $30 /each why not.
The HD adapters to add the 2nd HD was under $20.
And new battery's are so cheap.

No overheating ..no fan noise ..no melted HD . BS

These laptops are bricks. I have the latest generation one and it's pretty heavy.

BTW, 8530W with Quadro 770M and WSXGA+ (Last of the 15.4". I prefer FHD+, but for the price, hard to complain) for $320:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7534538&CatId=4936

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014