• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras for $ 559.00 @ Amazon
This item qualifies for 2% back in Rewards, and Free Shipping with Amazon Prime.

Link

Amazon
Get Up to 3.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM Telephoto Zoom Lens
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

This lens is (almost) useless being a zoom without IS.

Yoksel said:   This lens is (almost) useless being a zoom without IS.

Wow... I completely disgaree and many others do as well. When you give your opinion please state it as such rather than as fact. With ISO capabilities now so high very sharp images with non IS zooms are very easy to achieve. This is a VERY sharp piece of glass at over a $500 savings of the IS version.

Please disregard the knucklehead negative review early in this thread and visit reputable sites like http://www.the-digital-picture.com. Most sites I've ever seen agree that this is a great value lens.

From the site above:
The Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM Lens is arguably Canon's best value "L" Lens, combining professional grade build and optical qualities.

The 70-200 f/4 L is a great value and a highly recommended lens.

here's a general guideline for the minimum shutter speed you need for hand holding lenses: link

for the cropped sensor cameras, if you can achieve a 1/125 shutter speed at the 70 mm range to a 1/320 shutter speed at the 200 mm range you can hand hold this lens.

I believe you may not know too much about photography. In normal situation, if you can shoot with 1/<effective focal length> shutter speed, image blur due to camera shake is minimal. For 200mm focal length, if you can shoot it with 1/200mm (full frame/35mm film) or 1/320 for cropped sensor body, it should be fine.

This photo is taken hand held with the 70-200mm f/4 (non-IS) at 200mm and 1/400 shutter speed. And I have a lot of other photos taken with this lens hand held without any issue.
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6233/6284841775_e5011eea4a_b.jpg

Longbean said:   Yoksel said:   This lens is (almost) useless being a zoom without IS.

I believe you may not know too much about photography. In normal situation, if you can shoot with 1/<effective focal length> shutter speed, image blur due to camera shake is minimal. For 200mm focal length, if you can shoot it with 1/200mm (full frame/35mm film) or 1/320 for cropped sensor body, it should be fine.

This photo is taken hand held with the 70-200mm f/4 (non-IS) at 200mm and 1/400 shutter speed. And I have a lot of other photos taken with this lens hand held without any issue.
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6233/6284841775_e5011eea4a_b.jpg

that's not a "baaaaaaa"d picture

plus ive read that the f4 is sharper than the f2.8 at f4

burb72 said:   plus ive read that the f4 is sharper than the f2.8 at f4

Again...This is opinion and not a fact in all cases. We have several copies of the 70-200 2.8L IS as well as the 4.0 version in the IS and non. No two lens' are the same in sharpness and contrast. We do have one or two f4's that are as sharp as the f2.8's but not as a rule. Bottom line is that any of these lens' in the hads of a photographer that has gotten to "know" them is a very good tool. The lens deal above is a bargain for the person who just simply doesm't want to spend $1,100 for the f4 IS or $2,200 for the 2.8 IS version.

False. The 70-200 f/4 is a wonderful, sharp, sturdy lens that is great for shooting in daylight. It was one of Canon's most popular L lenses for almost 15 years (I think) before they introduced an IS version. It is signficantly smaller and lighter than Canon's other 'long white' lenses, actually making it EASIER to hand hold than a number of the big monsters given its more compact form factor. Go to a store and hold a f4L and one of the f2.8L IS's in each hand, and ask yourself if the many many ounces and dollars justify the incremental improvement in performance you get.

To call it "almost useless" is an observation I'm going to guess was grounded in ignorance and real-world experience with the lens.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014