Pentosin HPII HP2 5w40 20L $115.28 +S&H

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
For those of you with too many German cars in their stable, this is a great deal on 20 liters of Pentosin High Performance II HPII HP2 5w40. This comes in a single 20L container. $5.76/Liter + Shipping. Best deals elsewhere is roughly $8/liter (5L containers)+ Shipping. This was $132.50 just a few days ago and looks to be a temporary price drop.

For those not aware, this is synthetic motor oil and meets most VW/MB/BMW/Porsche Oil spec requirements.

Shipping to NJ was $19.47 (UPS) for a total of $134.75. There is a free pickup option in Pembroke, MA.

I ordered Wednesday and got it today (Friday)! Going to keep the empty container as a garage art piece...

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3256

Attached pics of the jug compared to a CLK350 Wheel and the label w/ oil specs. Jug comes with a spout and relief cap for "easier" pouring. It's roughly 35-40 lbs.

Member Summary

Pentosin HP2 5w40 20L (16.67kB)
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
See my pics in the OP for what 20 L container looks like. The pic to the left of here (auto attached by FW) is the 5 L container.
Staff Summary

Be aware that this is for slightly older Diesel engines... which is perfect for me Thanks! Check the manufacturer's spec to see if it's good for yours.

That is somewhat correct, which is why I took a pic of the spec sheet. There are some conflicting reports on the Internet, but in general, its thought (from the INTERNET) this should be used for Diesels (old and new), but if you have a gas engine AND your local gas station uses Ethanol AND you go extended periods between oil changes, you should use the other oil specs. The ethanol reacts poorly when the blow by mixes with the oil, causing sludging, however this is typically experienced with long service intervals (over the standard 1 YR/ 10k Miles) If you're the type that does regularly scheduled or more frequent oil changes, you should be fine, even if Ethanol is in your gas. Those without any ethanol in their gas are fine as it is the water in ethanol that may cause sludging.

To note, BMW/MB originally approved and used these oil specs LL4/229.51 for GAS and Diesel engines from the factory. There were a few reported issues of sludging from those that push the "extended service intervals" over YEARS of driving and they decided to be safe to have gas engines use the older spec of 229.5 (not 229.51) and LL01 (with shorter service intervals; not the LL04).

Now from PERSONAL Experience with 3 current and a few previous GASOLINE engine cars requiring 5w40, I've used this Pentosin 5W40 for years, including my current stable of a CLK350, R500, and VW Phaeton 4.2 and NONE have sludging issues. I've recently checked and there's no burning, no sludging, and no leaks. I'm in NJ and have 10% ethanol in our gas. I do oil changes ~1x a year and roughly 8-10k on each.

I've used Mobil 1 religiously up to ~5-6 years ago until they started messing with their formulas and they've been going downhill from there (other than the new ESP version). When I switched, I recalled a smoother running engine in every car. This is just an observation and not starting a "which oil can beat up your oil" war. I know people who swear by each brand (Redline, Elf, Pentosin, Valvoline, etc.) and I don't doubt anyone. Honestly, after working on so many cars (hundreds), most oils are just as good as the next for most drivers. Most drivers don't drag race light to light, sell their cars well before 100k (most lease), and are willing to go to the local 5 minute lube shop with questionable oil and yet, those drivers will never experience issues before they sell.

Last note: My 4th car, a Prius has oil burn stains inside the engine and that's been using Mobil 1 AFE 0w30. Go figure... I may do a flush and change to another brand (Valvoline, perhaps). And before anyone flames me for my cars, its the family fleet...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014