• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
http://www.costco.com/.product.619673.html They might have it in-store, but it's definitely online.

My dad asked me to look for spirulina because he started eating it...after his original stash expired. (He apparantly bought it during his vacation in China) Anyway, I told him I could check costco before goitn to GNC, cvs,rite-aid and whatnot.

I checked online and saw the costco price. So, I decided to check in the warehouse. My local warehouse did not have it, so I placed an order and to my surprise, there's no shipping and handling for me!

I tried using google to search for comprable spirulina, but most of the others' offering were around 500 tables with 500mg for around the same price, which makes this a deal in my opinion.

Hope this might help someone. Thank you for reading this post

Member Summary

Spirulina Tablets
Thanks UncleRico
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

The U.S. National Library of Medicine stated that spirulina was no better than milk or meat as a protein source, and was approximately 30 times more expensive per gram.[8]
Given the lack of regulatory standards in the U.S., some public-health researchers have raised the concern that consumers cannot be certain that spirulina and other blue-green algae supplements are free of contamination.[21]
Heavy-metal contamination of spirulina supplements has also raised concern. The Chinese State Food and Drug Administration reported that lead, mercury, and arsenic contamination was widespread in spirulina supplements marketed in China.[24]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirulina_(dietary_supplement)

thrunner said:   The U.S. National Library of Medicine stated that spirulina was no better than milk or meat as a protein source, and was approximately 30 times more expensive per gram.[8]
Given the lack of regulatory standards in the U.S., some public-health researchers have raised the concern that consumers cannot be certain that spirulina and other blue-green algae supplements are free of contamination.[21]
Heavy-metal contamination of spirulina supplements has also raised concern. The Chinese State Food and Drug Administration reported that lead, mercury, and arsenic contamination was widespread in spirulina supplements marketed in China.[24]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirulina_(dietary_supplement)

Geez, thanks Debbie Downer

thrunner said:    ...The Chinese State Food and Drug Administration reported that lead, mercury, and arsenic contamination was widespread in spirulina supplements marketed in China. ...[/L]

the product OP is talking about is from Hawaii .... not China ... can't you read?

the communist dictatorship has so much cred as far as worrying about health

Thank you for your kind comment. I was pointing out what the OP wrote about her father that: " (He apparantly bought it during his vacation in China) "

In addition, there is NO regulatory standards in the U.S. either, so the chance of toxin from US produced Spirulina is real:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1638057/
"The presence of blue-green algae (BGA) toxins in surface waters used for drinking water sources and recreation is receiving increasing attention around the world as a public health concern. However, potential risks from exposure to these toxins in contaminated health food products that contain BGA have been largely ignored. BGA products are commonly consumed in the United States, Canada, and Europe for their putative beneficial effects, including increased energy and elevated mood. Many of these products contain Aphanizomenon flos-aquae, a BGA that is harvested from Upper Klamath Lake (UKL) in southern Oregon, where the growth of a toxic BGA, Microcystis aeruginosa, is a regular occurrence. "

germanpope said:   thrunner said:    ...The Chinese State Food and Drug Administration reported that lead, mercury, and arsenic contamination was widespread in spirulina supplements marketed in China. ...[/L]

the product OP is talking about is from Hawaii .... not China ... can't you read?

thrunner said:   Thank you for your kind comment. I was pointing out what the OP wrote about her father that: " (He apparantly bought it during his vacation in China) "

In addition, there is NO regulatory standards in the U.S. either, so the chance of toxin from US produced Spirulina is real:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1638057/
"The presence of blue-green algae (BGA) toxins in surface waters used for drinking water sources and recreation is receiving increasing attention around the world as a public health concern. However, potential risks from exposure to these toxins in contaminated health food products that contain BGA have been largely ignored. BGA products are commonly consumed in the United States, Canada, and Europe for their putative beneficial effects, including increased energy and elevated mood. Many of these products contain Aphanizomenon flos-aquae, a BGA that is harvested from Upper Klamath Lake (UKL) in southern Oregon, where the growth of a toxic BGA, Microcystis aeruginosa, is a regular occurrence. "

germanpope said:   thrunner said:    ...The Chinese State Food and Drug Administration reported that lead, mercury, and arsenic contamination was widespread in spirulina supplements marketed in China. ...[/L]

As OP, I forgot to mention that my father bought the spirulina YEARS ago, when it had not expired yet. (If I have to say exactly when, it'd be somewhere in 2007 and like a lot of people, sometimes people forget what they keep in a cabinet/drawer for years. The package of spirulina expired in 2009. My dad rediscovered it in the cabinet a month or so ago and just finished it off a few days ago) I didn't think it's a detail I needed to mention (and I'm sorry for any confusion it has caused), but my OP is simply that the spirulina sold at costco is a deal because it's cheaper compared to other places, NOT whether an item might or might not have lead/mercury/arsenic or any nutritional info or therelackof. If a person does not think this is a deal, a person can ignore it (and move on) or constructively contribute to it by posting either another/better deal.

My bet is that these Spirulina is from the company that sprung from the Energy Initiative of the Carter era.
There is this giant pump of deep sea/ocean which circulates to grow the blue-green algae.

I recall seeing giant jars of the stuff in the Hawaii Costco (which was a stone's throw from the pump.)

Yep. Spirulina was a kick in the 90s as fish oil is now.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.