• Text Only
Nice and thanks for this useful posting.

CMeys said:   kzookid said:   CMeys said:   momgoingbroke said:   Bummed...tried to install on a three yr old XP. Got all the files saved, then went to install...disk one went smoothly, but it stopped at disk two.
Got my tech savvy son involved and he was not able to figure it out before having to leave. He's going to look at it again tomorrow.

I had the same problem. Take a look at the instructions posted here (I posted the link to this earlier in this thread some time yesterday): http://www.hotukdeals.com/freebies/adobe-cs2-creative-suite-free...

Show that to your son. Once I followed those instructions it worked.
link doesn't work
Sorry, this is the correct link: http://www.hotukdeals.com/freebies/adobe-cs2-creative-suite-free...
Thanks. Trying one last trick myself....dumping the first d/l and starting over. Will check out your link.Appreciate it.

Thanks OP, I need Acrobat Pro and thanks for the free copy!

downloading now. Thanks OP!

Thanks for these great software.

I decided to just d/l CS2 minus the suite, as it is not something I needed anyway.

Should I still go back and add that last exe file of "extras" that is listed with the suite? Just wondering if the extras are something that just for the photoshop program.

If all I want to do is create or change PDF files, which of these products would I need?

VirginiaDC said:   If all I want to do is create or change PDF files, which of these products would I need?

acrobat

slickdeal45 said:   poppagene said:   slickdeal45 said:   Adobe did the right thing to help a small number of people, and a large number of people are taking advantage of Adobe doing the right thing. Maybe this is a reason why companies don't often do the right thing?

Serious question.

Some would put this in the category of abandonware.

That's just another attempt to rationalize theft.

Most criminals rationalize their crimes the same way. It's somebody else's fault, somebody deserved something, they've got plenty, who am I hurting... Childish, empty arguments that low life's use to try to maintain their self-image. The one woman up above even said something about thinking her theft was "fair."

This thread is full of serious low-lifes. You people are the reason our society is the way it is. You're the reason we all have locks on our doors--a lock never kept a determined criminal out, but they do keep "honest" people out. There's nothing honest about any of you--most of you wouldn't even admit that you are stealing, because you don't want to admit that you're a thief. You think it's fine to take what isn't yours, but if someone calls you a thief--how offensive!

So far, the I believe this is the only statement from Adobe

"Adobe:

Effective December 13, Adobe disabled the activation server for CS2 products and Acrobat 7 because of a technical glitch. These products were released over 7 years ago and do not run on many modern operating systems. But to ensure that any customers activating those old versions can continue to use their software, we issued a serial number directly to those customers. While this might be interpreted as Adobe giving away software for free, we did it to help our customers."

What Adobe said "While this might be interpreted as Adobe giving away software for free, we did it to help our customers."

Up to now, I do not believe there is a official statement from Adobe saying it is illegal to download their software nor any further action from Adobe to stop people from downloading their old software. And as far as I know, the links, pages and serial numbers are still up in Adobe site.

I think those who download the software and install it are not thieves as you described. It is like you saw a TV & newspaper saying the local supermarket are giving out free food right now, all you need to do is sign up at the store. So a lot of people go to the supermarket, sign up and get the food. From the TV/newspaper, it never said it is illegal. While you were at the supermarket, there are no signs saying you need purchase anything in the past to get it. So after you sign up at the desk and you are allow to get the free food.

Then all of a sudden, a staff from the supermarket saying "Oh no, those food are not suppose to be offer to everybody, only to the customer who purchase them before" So you are saying those who got the food are thieve?

VirginiaDC said:   If all I want to do is create or change PDF files, which of these products would I need? Acrobat Pro. Keep in mind that most of the PDFs on the internet these days are later version than CS2, so you may not be able to edit or browse them using this product.

snake253 said:   VirginiaDC said:   If all I want to do is create or change PDF files, which of these products would I need? Acrobat Pro. Keep in mind that most of the PDFs on the internet these days are later version than CS2, so you may not be able to edit or browse them using this product.

Actually it would be for adding to existing PDF's created by county government for the school. Pretty sure that would be older stuff.

Awesome! This will be great for beginners like myself who are trying to teach themselves the Photoshop ropes.

I ran my software and it shuts down saying either code is not correct or bad version. Any help?

Thanks

Longbean said:   slickdeal45 said:   Adobe did the right thing to help a small number of people, and a large number of people are taking advantage of Adobe doing the right thing. Maybe this is a reason why companies don't often do the right thing?

Serious question.

..."snip"

What Adobe said "While this might be interpreted as Adobe giving away software for free, we did it to help our customers."

Up to now, I do not believe there is a official statement from Adobe saying it is illegal to download their software nor any further action from Adobe to stop people from downloading their old software. And as far as I know, the links, pages and serial numbers are still up in Adobe site.

"snip"

Many people are waiting for more information about this issue from Adobe. So far there is only a post from an Adobe representative on the forums and a short blog post. I think this issue is big enough for a press release posted on Adobe's front page.

What I think is interesting right now is: If the downloads were only meant for paying customers:

1) Why did Adobe didn't make the downloads only available to those paying customers? Maybe they would need to contact support, which would gave them a link to the software which would expire in say 24 hours. And I don't think there are many CS2 users who need to reinstall it frequently.
2) At first, you needed to register to be able to access the links. Why did Adobe removed this requirement? Why has Adobe made it easier for anyone to download the links instead of harder?

VirginiaDC said:   snake253 said:   VirginiaDC said:   If all I want to do is create or change PDF files, which of these products would I need? Acrobat Pro. Keep in mind that most of the PDFs on the internet these days are later version than CS2, so you may not be able to edit or browse them using this product.

Actually it would be for adding to existing PDF's created by county government for the school. Pretty sure that would be older stuff.

You can use pdf995 (google it) for this. It is very light on resources and easy to use.

Good Luck!
SteveG

VirginiaDC said:   snake253 said:   VirginiaDC said:   If all I want to do is create or change PDF files, which of these products would I need? Acrobat Pro. Keep in mind that most of the PDFs on the internet these days are later version than CS2, so you may not be able to edit or browse them using this product.

I use PDFill and I'm happy with it. I think the free PDF Tools would be enough for what you need. If you need something more, the PDF editor is $19.99, but I haven't used it.

i tried to install it on osx and its failing. Photoshop cs2

kapsalis said:   i tried to install it on osx and its failing. Photoshop cs2
More detail would be helpful. Which version of OS X? What model of computer? What are the specific error message(s)?

kapsalis said:   i tried to install it on osx and its failing. Photoshop cs2

Do you have a PowerPC chip or the newer intel chips?
This will only work on older chips so older macs

dpid said:   kapsalis said:   i tried to install it on osx and its failing. Photoshop cs2

Not quite correnct. It will run run on a Mac with an Intel processor, but not natively. It requires Rosetta for emulation, so it will run slower than if it were native. The OS is where this reaches the end of the line. I believe Rosetta was removed from Mountain Lion (10.7), meaning Lion (10.6) is the last OS on which CS2 can run.

I did some googling and read that Version Cue does not run and should be removed, but that the other apps should be okay.

hi guys, i have a question. i have a mac and a pc both bought in the last 12 months. the mac runs on lion or mountain lion can't remember which and the pc is windows 8 (just got it). does this mean i can't download photoshop for either since they're new? sorry for asking, im just not very good with technology, and i read all the responses and from what i understand, this free download is only for older computers, but i just wanted to double check. thanks for any help.

ashleymarie84 said:   hi guys, i have a question. i have a mac and a pc both bought in the last 12 months. the mac runs on lion or mountain lion can't remember which and the pc is windows 8 (just got it). does this mean i can't download photoshop for either since they're new? sorry for asking, im just not very good with technology, and i read all the responses and from what i understand, this free download is only for older computers, but i just wanted to double check. thanks for any help.

It should be no problem for the PC. See the Quick Summary on how to make it work for Windows

momgoingbroke said:   I decided to just d/l CS2 minus the suite, as it is not something I needed anyway.

Should I still go back and add that last exe file of "extras" that is listed with the suite? Just wondering if the extras are something that just for the photoshop program.
Did anyone know the answer to this question?

I finally got just the photoshop downloaded and working, so I don't want to add stuff and mess it up, yet if these suite extras (the fourth exe file) are for photoshop, I'd like to add that too.
Thanks.

ashleymarie84 said:   hi guys, i have a question. i have a mac and a pc both bought in the last 12 months. the mac runs on lion or mountain lion can't remember which and the pc is windows 8 (just got it). does this mean i can't download photoshop for either since they're new? sorry for asking, im just not very good with technology, and i read all the responses and from what i understand, this free download is only for older computers, but i just wanted to double check. thanks for any help.

Not sure about the Mac version, but CS2 installed fine for me on Win 8.

Perfect for the old computer running XP, thanks OP.

momgoingbroke said:   momgoingbroke said:   I decided to just d/l CS2 minus the suite, as it is not something I needed anyway.

I finally got just the photoshop downloaded and working, so I don't want to add stuff and mess it up, yet if these suite extras (the fourth exe file) are for photoshop, I'd like to add that too.
Thanks.

Here is the content of CS_2.0_WWE_Extras_1.exe:

CS_2.0_WWE_Extras_1.exe\\Adobe Solutions Network

CS_2.0_WWE_Extras_1.exe\\Documentation

CS_2.0_WWE_Extras_1.exe\\Goodies
CS_2.0_WWE_Extras_1.exe\\Goodies\Illustrator CS2
CS_2.0_WWE_Extras_1.exe\\Goodies\InDesign CS2
CS_2.0_WWE_Extras_1.exe\\Goodies\Photoshop CS2

CS_2.0_WWE_Extras_1.exe\\Technical Information

Moonquake said:   momgoingbroke said:   momgoingbroke said:   I decided to just d/l CS2 minus the suite, as it is not something I needed anyway.

Thanks.

Here is the content of CS_2.0_WWE_Extras_1.exe:

CS_2.0_WWE_Extras_1.exe\Adobe Solutions Network

CS_2.0_WWE_Extras_1.exe\Documentation

CS_2.0_WWE_Extras_1.exe\Goodies
CS_2.0_WWE_Extras_1.exe\GoodiesIllustrator CS2
CS_2.0_WWE_Extras_1.exe\GoodiesInDesign CS2
CS_2.0_WWE_Extras_1.exe\GoodiesPhotoshop CS2

CS_2.0_WWE_Extras_1.exe\Technical Information

Here's whats in the "goodies" file.

http://www.adobe.com/studio/csguide/goodies.html

Thank you moonquake and vegas vegan. I'll check out the link tonight!

FYI for those that don't know:

This is currently not free "legally" an Adobe rep has said that the software was provided for those that bought CS2 as they decomissioned the authentication server. They were
NOT providing it to the general public for free.

NOW THAT BEING SAID.

#1 Adobe has a history of not going after individuals, but companies.
#2 The actual terms on the install say nothing about a change in licensing to support Adobe's assertion as they very likely were not updated.
#3 With the PR storm over this, there's a high likelyhood they could change their minds.

So, I certainly wouldn't suggest ANYONE install this for anything beyond private use.

Updated news on it:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/adriankingsleyhughes/2013/01/07/down...

Tolken said:   FYI for those that don't know...
Nothing wrong with offering an opinion, that’s what forums are for, but welcome to two days ago. That’s when the Forbes article was posted in this thread. There does not appear to be anything new about the legality of this. Everyone should be reading through the whole thread (or at least searching) before posting “new” information.

Members of our community have alerted us to the questionable nature of this deal. While we do not condone any unethical or illegal behavior, we believe discussion and debate helps our community make informed decisions. Please read, comment if you'd like, and proceed with caution.

yoregano said:   dpid said:   kapsalis said:   i tried to install it on osx and its failing. Photoshop cs2

Not quite correnct. It will run run on a Mac with an Intel processor, but not natively. It requires Rosetta for emulation, so it will run slower than if it were native. The OS is where this reaches the end of the line. I believe Rosetta was removed from Mountain Lion (10.7), meaning Lion (10.6) is the last OS on which CS2 can run.

I did some googling and read that Version Cue does not run and should be removed, but that the other apps should be okay.

Lion is the end of the lion (sorry), not Mountain Lion.

BostonOne said:   yoregano said:   dpid said:   kapsalis said:   i tried to install it on osx and its failing. Photoshop cs2

Lion is the end of the lion (sorry), not Mountain Lion.

Oops, my version numbers were right, the names were wrong.
10.6.X = Snow Leopard
10.7.X = Lion
10.8.X = Mountain Lion

Thanks for the correction, SD.

For anyone trying to install acrobat on windows 7 64 bit:

Acrobat 8 pro is able to run without issue following these steps that I have verified useful from various online resources:
1) Disable Norton (or other antivirus tool if needed) during installation;
2) Installer will ask for "AdobePDF.dll" at some point. Leave the dialogue open, open a windows explorer window, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Setup Files\{XXXXXX-XXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXX} folder, where the long string in {....} can vary, locate the file Data1.cab, inside which there is AdobePDF.dll_64. Unzip this file and save it as AdobePDF.dll somewhere. Go back to the installer's dialogue and browse to where the dll file is, select it and okay to continue installation;
3) Install Adobe Acrobat 8.1 Professional and Standard update;
4) Close all opened programs (allowing pdf printer to initiate next time when the programs restart);
5) Go to START > Devices and Printers, right click "Adobe PDF" printer, printer properties, in "Advanced" tab, select "Print directly to the printer".
So far Acrobat has been installed with everything functioning. System might need reboot at done. Acrobat program will prompt to download e-license, go ahead do it.

CS2 Photoshop - free or not free? (not really a question - just stating a fact)

Now its listed on majorgeeks as freeware: http://majorgeeks.com/Adobe_Photoshop_CS2_Free_d8081.html

If Acrobat 8 hangs when starting, do the following update. The update says for vista only, but it has fixed the hanging problem on my windows 7 64 bit pc.

Adobe Acrobat 8 licensing service update (Windows Vista only)

jett said:   For anyone trying to install acrobat on windows 7 64 bit:

Acrobat 8 pro is able to run without issue following these steps that I have verified useful from various online resources:
1) Disable Norton (or other antivirus tool if needed) during installation;
2) Installer will ask for "AdobePDF.dll" at some point. Leave the dialogue open, open a windows explorer window, go to Crogram Files (x86)AdobeAcrobat 8.0Setup Files{XXXXXX-XXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXX} folder, where the long string in {....} can vary, locate the file Data1.cab, inside which there is AdobePDF.dll_64. Unzip this file and save it as AdobePDF.dll somewhere. Go back to the installer's dialogue and browse to where the dll file is, select it and okay to continue installation;
3) Install Adobe Acrobat 8.1 Professional and Standard update;
4) Close all opened programs (allowing pdf printer to initiate next time when the programs restart);
5) Go to START > Devices and Printers, right click "Adobe PDF" printer, printer properties, in "Advanced" tab, select "Print directly to the printer".
So far Acrobat has been installed with everything functioning. System might need reboot at done. Acrobat program will prompt to download e-license, go ahead do it.

cuauhtemoc said:   Longbean said:   slickdeal45 said:   Adobe did the right thing to help a small number of people, and a large number of people are taking advantage of Adobe doing the right thing. Maybe this is a reason why companies don't often do the right thing?

Serious question.

..."snip"

"snip"

Many people are waiting for more information about this issue from Adobe. So far there is only a post from an Adobe representative on the forums and a short blog post. I think this issue is big enough for a press release posted on Adobe's front page.

What I think is interesting right now is: If the downloads were only meant for paying customers:

1) Why did Adobe didn't make the downloads only available to those paying customers? Maybe they would need to contact support, which would gave them a link to the software which would expire in say 24 hours. And I don't think there are many CS2 users who need to reinstall it frequently.
2) At first, you needed to register to be able to access the links. Why did Adobe removed this requirement? Why has Adobe made it easier for anyone to download the links instead of harder?

Probably some legal reasons.
If you legitimately own the product, you shouldn't be forced to now give Adobe your info in order for it to work.

handsgo said:   
Thanks but where would I find the free serial code after installing these?

It is above every link

http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2013/01/update-on-cs2-and-a...

This is Adobe's explanation of the 'giveaway'.

Just in case you were wondering how this might happen.

wtjc said:   CS2 Photoshop - free or not free? (not really a question - just stating a fact)

Now its listed on majorgeeks as freeware: http://majorgeeks.com/Adobe_Photoshop_CS2_Free_d8081.html

I guess "now" is a relative term. This was posted on their website back in 2010.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.