Firestone "you pay what we pay deal"

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Firestone announced its "you what we pay (plus a buck)" deal.

https://www.upaywhatwepay.com/tire-deal

Is it a good deal for their tires? The deal includes several regional resellers.

Member Summary

sirestone
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Would using a cash card work for Costco if you're not a member? Anyone know for sure? I have been using Costco cash card... (more)

Princewince (Jan. 20, 2013 @ 12:03a) |

Costco's price was $280 cheaper than Sams.

polishdreamer (Jan. 20, 2013 @ 12:05a) |

why am i getting an untrusted site message when I try to visit the OP's link?

randi4ni (Feb. 07, 2013 @ 8:03p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

They probably require you to mount and balance the tires in their shop (for extra $$$, of course). Not to mention trying to upsell a bunch of extra crap (nitrogen, brakes, alignment, warranty, etc.)

lucky530 said:   Firestone announced its "you what we pay (plus a buck)" deal.

https://www.upaywhatwepay.com/tire-deal

Is it a good deal for their tires? The deal includes several regional resellers.

No way of knowing without going to dealer when "deal" is active. The deal sounds like a marketing ploy to me, just like the ones car dealers make about selling "at cost." Can use some new tires on wife's car, so may check into it, but am thinking they would have to go some to beat tirewarehouse's prices.

Best deal I have found over the years is order online and have cheapest local place install. I also order my valve stems from eBay as most shops mark them up a lot.

Free replacement warranty may not be a bad idea depending on the condition of your local roads (any potholes or lots of older cars on the road that fall apart and drop all kind of crap like screws etc on the road) and the price is right.

I once bought a set of two tires with warranty from Sears and caught a huge nail in the sidewall within a week (bad luck!). The technician said the damage was irreparable for safety reasons and the tire had to be replaced. I only payed 75c for utilization of the punctured tire. Another time on another set of tires I hit a water-filled pothole and got a sidewall bubble. That tire was also replaced for free and I only payed for a new replacement certificate.
When I lived in Indianapolis, one spring a couple of years ago after a strong winter storm the roads were so bad that I read in the newspaper the traffic to the tire shops increased 30% with people bending the rims and bubbling the sidewalls after encounters with those deep potholes. I usually pay attention to the road and avoid them, but most Americans don't care.

andrey2506 said:   Free replacement warranty may not be a bad idea depending on the condition of your local roads (any potholes or lots of older cars on the road that fall apart and drop all kind of crap like screws etc on the road) and the price is right.

Given my experiences with Firestone I would certainly do that. (That is, if I would buy them at all.)

Over the years I have owned 12 Firestone tires, all as OEM. None have been in service at 36,000 miles although some of them were replaced when their opposite number was replaced. Half of them died of blowouts, always on the freeway. (I don't drive a SUV, they have never caused any control problems when they come apart.) It's not me, I've never had anything else blowout.

Firestone quoted me ~$700 with this "deal" for 4 tires (~$112 each). They tack in lots of fees and charges for labor.

They just did an inspection on my car. Wanted $14.99 to replace license plate light. Damn!!!

LorenPechtel said:   andrey2506 said:   
...It's not me, I've never had anything else blowout.

That's not what I heard...

How can you tell what the store cost is? I can see stores easily saying they paid $XXX and there is no way to prove that is right or wrong.

Heh, they're all about hidden fees, etc...beware. Additionally, atleast the few in my area have suspect quality of work. I'd check out reviews on your local franchise before committing to using their services.

Hi guys. Not to threadcrap, but the best deals I've found are Discount Tire / America's Tire, or Pep Boys Buy 3 Get 1 Free. Discount/America's tire will usually price match. I was able to negotiate some high-end tires for a sports car with them over the phone before going in...they had to be ordered from their warehouse anyway...and they pretty much matched TireRack but I got all the benefits of the local install, warranty (one tire had a defect and was replaced a week later, no hassle), and damage warranty (lost another 3 weeks later to a screw in the sidewall). TireRack isn't as competitive as most people think because many of the high/higher-end tire buyers (i.e. sports cars) don't haggle at all but are willing to deal with the hassle of separate tire ordering/installation. They'd get the same or better deal by just asking. What's the worse...they say no. Better yet, I've received many more yes'es in the past decade just asking for anything.

Pep Boys is great for more "normal" tires. You don't need to pay for an alignment from them if you do a mail-in rebate on the 4th tire, and you'll need to pay their fees for mounting and buy the damage protection. Prices are competitive to begin with too. I wore out a set of 80k mile tires in about 40k. They were very generous pro-rating the discount, even on the damage protection, and I got a whole new set of tires super cheap. Did the alignment on my own elsewhere, since I had skipped it the first time anyway.

+1 on Discount Tire. I've actually had them be the cheapest quote on 2 rear tires on my luxury car (2 Tires for about $780 all in). I'm also thinking about checking with Sams to see what they can do. Anyone have experience with Sams?

trekwars2000 said:   +1 on Discount Tire. I've actually had them be the cheapest quote on 2 rear tires on my luxury car (2 Tires for about $780 all in). I'm also thinking about checking with Sams to see what they can do. Anyone have experience with Sams?

Be sure that when you check on Sam's you get the installed price as they have fees in addition to tire price that are not all that cheap, from what I recall.

I'm pretty leery of Firestone, they have a reputation of reccommending unnecessary services. I had a coupon for an oil change there a while back and tried them out. They said my tires would need replacing soon (had at least a year of legal tread left, 15k miles or so) and that I should get the timing belt changed (at 76k miles where the manual says 90k). All told roughly a grand in unnecessary expense reccommended. I doubt I'll be going back.

All of this is reminding me why I try so hard to find a good indie mechanic. Still looking, but I have a good feeling about the next one based on our phone conversations while booking the appointment. I mean you can't even rely on the dealer to stick to the manufacturer specs on maintenance.

VicVinegar said:   All of this is reminding me why I try so hard to find a good indie mechanic. Still looking, but I have a good feeling about the next one based on our phone conversations while booking the appointment. I mean you can't even rely on the dealer to stick to the manufacturer specs on maintenance.

That is for effing sure. I have an 08 Ford Escape Hybrid and every time I take it into the Ford stealer for service I get a sticker for another oil service at 3K miles or 3 months down the road. My users manual says 12 months or 10K miles... Why they would put the stupid sticker on my car is stuid...

trekwars2000 said:   VicVinegar said:   All of this is reminding me why I try so hard to find a good indie mechanic. Still looking, but I have a good feeling about the next one based on our phone conversations while booking the appointment. I mean you can't even rely on the dealer to stick to the manufacturer specs on maintenance.

That is for effing sure. I have an 08 Ford Escape Hybrid and every time I take it into the Ford stealer for service I get a sticker for another oil service at 3K miles or 3 months down the road. My users manual says 12 months or 10K miles... Why they would put the stupid sticker on my car is stuid...

Yeah, the Subaru dealer did the same thing after my first change. Hopefully by the time it is out of warranty I'll have found my mythical "honest, competent, reasonably priced indie mechanic". The 13 year old car is at the new contender right now.

We go to costco or sams depending on which brand is on sale. Usually have $60 to $70 off.

They have tires for $100 a piece and $70 off. Install is $15 per tire. No extra fees.

Insallation there INCLUDES, Free lifetime rotation/balance. Includes free road hazard warranty. Ive seen other guys charge $30 just for the road hazard on top of installation charge. Seems to work out best and can drop it off while we shop for balancing/rotation.

for costco, you have to have membership for tire work?..I guess...

Gogreen said:   for costco, you have to have membership for tire work?..I guess...

Would using a cash card work for Costco if you're not a member? Anyone know for sure? I have been using Costco cash cards for years on everything from gas to products at brick and mortar without paying for membership. However, I've never tried to buy tires before . . . .

bjamm said:   We go to costco or sams depending on which brand is on sale. Usually have $60 to $70 off.

They have tires for $100 a piece and $70 off. Install is $15 per tire. No extra fees.

Insallation there INCLUDES, Free lifetime rotation/balance. Includes free road hazard warranty. Ive seen other guys charge $30 just for the road hazard on top of installation charge. Seems to work out best and can drop it off while we shop for balancing/rotation.

Costco's price was $280 cheaper than Sams.

why am i getting an untrusted site message when I try to visit the OP's link?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014