• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Boingo (at www.boingo.com) was offering a $4.98 per month deal for unlimited wireless at wifi hotspots (airports, etc.). The promo is a $25 Amazon Gift Card if you don't cancel for 60 days. So it's approx $10 spend for $25 card. It's a recurring credit card charge so you have to remember to cancel after 60 days. Personally, I signed up for this at an airport and then spent an hour trying to get online because their service was terrible, but I am OK paying them $10 for $25 gift card.

No direct link; it's a pop-up for first-time hit on the homepage.

Amazon
Get Up to 6.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

boingo
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Plus, when you sign up today, earn a $25 Amazon.com Gift Card after your 2nd month!

To end monthly charges, select "Please cancel my subscription." below, and we'll switch your account to AsYouGo status, effective the end of this billing cycle. This means you can keep your username and password in case you'd like to connect with Boingo in the future.

Considering your experience with their service; how fast do you think they will cancel you in the 3rd month and will they claim the 3rd month charge.

use prepaid gift card?

This has been going on for a long time. Given the reports of difficulty on canceling and in getting the gift card from almost everyone that does it, it's simply not worth doing IMHO...

is the $25 sent to email?? no mention of anything

I am a very persistent claimer of rebates and insister upon cancellations. (I just got a replacement for an un-warranteed product I bought in 2005 from SkyMall, lol!)

I'm willing to guinea pig myself and report back in 55 days.

bullcity said:   

I'm willing to guinea pig myself and report back in 55 days.

We appreciate your financial martyrdom!

I did this a few months ago, no issue with connectivity and GC arrived when stated, but in my spam folder...

I did a similar offer from them a year ago and got the gift cert without problem...their service quality does vary a great deal and some of the airports that use to have them no longer do...

Where do you see the 60-day requirement or any link to offer terms? I got the offer popup, but all it said was "Enjoy UNLIMITED Wi-Fi access on any two devices for just $4.98 per month for the next three months a savings of 50%! Then pay just $9.95 per month. You can also use your account internationally for just $0.12 to $0.18 per minute." and asked if I wanted to sign up or not. I see the 60-day requirement on the old/generic signup offer page (pay $10/month for at least 60 days to get a $10 Amazon gift card), but nothing for this offer.

This is a great deal if you fly; Boingo roams with gogo wireless, which is what many airlines use to provide wifi during flights. $5 is much cheaper than a $21 flight pass from gogo.

I believe that boingo just allows you not to have to enter billing details into gogo, but they still do charge you. You do NOT get unlimited gogo for $5.

I think it will be $15 for $25 as you need to keep it for 60 days, so you can't cancel till beginning of 3rd month and they will charge you for this month,
am I missing something here? Unless they refund you 3rd month since you cancel it 1st or second day...

Thanks!

Signed up Jan 13, cancelled today easily over the phone (1-800-880-4117) but no gift card, yet anyways. Anyone else with updates?

sent an inquiry about the gift card via email, they responded with a code in the email, then i canceled the subscription.

4 weeks ago was when I qualified for the gift card (60 days of service were up). I have called multiple times to inquire about the gift card and previously they had told me it could take 2-4 weeks to receive it. Today they told me it could take another 2 weeks.

Conclusion: These guys are running a scam. Don't sign up for this promo! It is not worth the hassle!

I eventually got the gift card. Probably not worth it tho given the hassle/risk of not getting it.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014