• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Crankbrothers wheel & pedal upgrade offers

Upgrade ANY of your clipless pedals to a Crankbrothers eggbeater 3, candy 3 or mallet 3 for only $60. That's half off the retail price of $120!

Upgrade ANY wheelset to a Crankbrothers cobalt 3, iodine 3, or opium 3 for only $600. All level 3 wheelsets retail for $950, so you're saving $350!

You can also upgrade to a cobalt 11 carbon wheelset for only $1500, a $700 savings off the $2200 retail price!

Link

Member Summary

Eggbeater 3
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer

Cobalt 3
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Not the threadcrap on this deal for those that want them, but Shimano 520 MTB pedals have been selling at a few places o... (more)

DirtCheapDad (Jan. 15, 2013 @ 11:30a) |

Clip-Ins cost me a separated shoulder. Slick pavement and a drop in the shoulder off the trail caused me to throw my arm... (more)

tommyno (Jan. 15, 2013 @ 11:45a) |

If anyone cares these are not road wheelsets, just mountain/cyclocross -- none of them have a braking surface they have ... (more)

dzer0 (Jan. 16, 2013 @ 12:10a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Both those pedals are currently $38 on TheClymb.com

I've never seen a Crankbrothers wheelset or even heard anything about them, positive or negative. Are they any good?

ozoneraider said:   I've never seen a Crankbrothers wheelset or even heard anything about them, positive or negative. Are they any good?

Top shelf stuff for serious bikers. Generally out of my price range.

Definitely a good price - wouldn't hurt to add S/H of $9 for pedals and $15 for the wheels.

The ones on the Clymb are Eggbeater1 pedals (junk) the ones on the trade in are 3's (very very sweet - I have them on 2 MTBs and a CX) green for the OP.

FYI, you have to send in you old clipless pedals, which may not make this so much of a deal. unless you really need to get rid of your old ones.

CrankBrothers Service Center said: step 3
for pedal upgrades:
Your Return Authorization (RA#) will appear with the
crankbrothers address. Ship your pedals back to us
with the RA# marked on the outside of the package.
When we receive it we will contact you to process
your new pair of pedals.

for wheel upgrades:
You're done! You do not need to ship your existing
wheels back to us. We will contact you to process
your new wheelset.

I have what I suspect are the Egg Beater 1's. Very good "clips". Easy to get out of with a slight twist but very secure otherwise. I can only remember one time falling over clipped-in but it was because of unexpected tire slippage going up a hill which took me from slow to a dead stop and...timber!

I'll see if I can dig up some old clipless to trade in. Great find OP!

Karmabiker said:   The ones on the Clymb are Eggbeater1 pedals (junk) the ones on the trade in are 3's (very very sweet - I have them on 2 MTBs and a CX) green for the OP.

My bad

I currently have Eggbeater 2s, and I'm tempted to go for some Mallet 3s so that I have the option of riding without my cleats.

Anyone have any experience with these? Is it reasonable to expect to be able to ride comfortably on these wearing causal street shoes?

fyi - Eggbeater 3 pedals are $85 shipped from Amazon. Candy 3 are $80 shipped.

Anyone know how long these things are supposed to last? On my last couple of pairs, the springs started to go soft after about a year of use.

johnny98 said:   fyi - Eggbeater 3 pedals are $85 shipped from Amazon. Candy 3 are $80 shipped.

Anyone know how long these things are supposed to last? On my last couple of pairs, the springs started to go soft after about a year of use.

I am fairly positive my local bike shop told me that the Crank Brothers are one of the easier pedals to repair. i ended up with the Shimano 540 (?) that lets me clip in on one side, or use regular shoes on the other. Since buying cycling shoes & clips, I can't say I've used the regular side.

johnny98 said:   fyi - Eggbeater 3 pedals are $85 shipped from Amazon

Where? Not my Amazon. $104.53 incl shipping.

jbierling said:   johnny98 said:   fyi - Eggbeater 3 pedals are $85 shipped from Amazon

Your Amazon sucks. Try mine: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Q5808A

johnny98 said:   jbierling said:   johnny98 said:   fyi - Eggbeater 3 pedals are $85 shipped from Amazon

both your amazons are the same, different color preferences

blue are ~$85, red are $104

MeIsCheap said:   johnny98 said:   jbierling said:   johnny98 said:   fyi - Eggbeater 3 pedals are $85 shipped from Amazon

both your amazons are the same, different color preferences

blue are ~$85, red are $104

That's because red pedals are faster than blue pedals. Everyone knows that.

Right you all are. ~$85 indeed.

So after paying S/H to CrankBrothers and S/H back (~$5 + $9), the price advantage over Amazon is about $11.

Currently $81.88 at Amazon for the blue pedals as of 8:52 AM EST. Beware, Amazon changes prices all the time...

Blue Eggbeater Pedals At Amazon

jbierling said:   Right you all are. ~$85 indeed.

So after paying S/H to CrankBrothers and S/H back (~$5 + $9), the prize advantage over Amazon is about $11.

you save $11 on giving them your old pedals. I think i'd rather donate to our local bike charity that is in the city that teaches kids to help build their bikes. I love to save, but don't like throwing away something for (almost) nothing

MeIsCheap said:   you save $11 on giving them your old pedals.

Agree. I'd rather keep the old pedals than the $11.

Not the threadcrap on this deal for those that want them, but Shimano 520 MTB pedals have been selling at a few places online for ~$25-27 lately, and are considered a workhorse pedal with minimal maintenance, very reliable, though not necessarily a lightweight pedal if you're a hardcore cyclist.

Clip-Ins cost me a separated shoulder. Slick pavement and a drop in the shoulder off the trail caused me to throw my arms out and my feet became a fulcrum with the bike on one end and my arm at the other. It' pretty well killed my Biking. Make sure your ready and your release works well!! For training simpler pedals will do!

If anyone cares these are not road wheelsets, just mountain/cyclocross -- none of them have a braking surface they have to be used with disc brakes.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014