tire mounting, balancing Walmart 8.50

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
2nd time i had tires done at WalMart. (i dont normally profile big storechain Chinese product importers). But if you are trying to save a buck i thought these guys did a decent job. it took a little long, they are kinda slow but for $8.50 they jacked up the front end of the car, removed the drivers side wheel, removed 2- 15 inch tires from 2- aluminum alloy rims (1 was a spare), installed the 1 good tire on the LH rim, installed a new tire valve, spin balanced the tire, intalled the wheel back on the car, torqued it down using a torque wrench, and disposed of the worn tire. it took an hour and 15 minutes..the $$$ breakdown: $5 tire mounting, $3 tire valve.

Member Summary

walmart
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I bought the life-time rotate and balance package from WalMart a few years ago. I used it may be three times? Never felt... (more)

hkgfnt (Jan. 16, 2013 @ 6:59p) |

I take my car to WM to get the tire pressure checked and the folks are pretty cool about it. I have even bought tires f... (more)

tajar96 (Jan. 16, 2013 @ 8:37p) |

Purchased tires elsewhere, mounted them myself.
WalMart did the lifetime balancing for $8.50 each and after the fact tol... (more)

begunn (Jan. 17, 2013 @ 3:48p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Is the cost per tire? I guess its 14.99 per tire in Sears for automated balancing and mounting.

I think Sears charging like $20/tire, costco/Sams are $14.99.

mail4hemanthr said:   Is the cost per tire? I guess its 14.99 per tire in Sears for automated balancing and mounting.

Seriously, Wally mechanics need better training (at least at the location I used to go to).

Last time I went into Wally to have a tire serviced, they torqued the lug nuts down so tight I had to get a bar extender to get the thing loose to rotate them (none of the other wheels were like this).

Another example: wife takes car in to change battery - it took them almost 2 hours to change it. Out of curiosity, next time it needed replacement, I did it myself in less than 30 minutes.

I've had no formal car maintenance training other than google, if that even counts. lol

I paid $8 lifetime balance per tire, and I was told it includes lifetime rotations.

If you get your tires through Tire Rack, they often have tire mounting deals with local shops. I have my tires drop shipped to a local Firestone where they mount, balance and rotate them for life for about $50. Might be a couple dollars more, but not having to lug the tires around is worth a couple bucks to me.

dealsearch said:   I paid $8 lifetime balance per tire, and I was told it includes lifetime rotations.

Same/ And I make sure they use the torque wrench to tighten the lugs.

Its that balancing that gets you. Discount tire does free. To balance though it was like $20 at sams.

HERE is their (Walmarts) automotive/tire pricing guide. The balancing does indeed include lifetime rotation as I've been using it for 7 years on the same tires. You can go in whenever you want to have it done.

neilh24 said:   .... (i dont normally profile big storechain Chinese product importers). ...
Sigh. Just post the deal, please. These comments really are getting tiresome in so many threads.

yoregano said:   neilh24 said:   .... (i dont normally profile big storechain Chinese product importers). ...
Sigh. Just post the deal, please. These comments really are getting tiresome in so many threads.

along with:

- go easy on me
- give me some green
- why the red???
- in4one
- thanks OP
etc.

in 4 4 thanks OP ^^^

aarzi said:   yoregano said:   neilh24 said:   .... (i dont normally profile big storechain Chinese product importers). ...

along with:

- go easy on me
- give me some green
- why the red???
- in4one
- thanks OP
etc.

What's wrong with thanking OP or asking for an explanation for a red (red without a comment) ? A few months ago, someone flamed me for simply thanking the OP so are we not suppose to thank the OP for taking the time to post a deal ? After almost 10 years on FW, I'm still confused.

Not sure why this is a deal. As far as I know it's always been $8.50 for mounting and lifetime balancing.

aarzi said:   yoregano said:   neilh24 said:   .... (i dont normally profile big storechain Chinese product importers). ...

along with:

- go easy on me
- give me some green
- why the red???
- in4one
- thanks OP
etc.

Amen! Amen! Amen! (Though technically I just violated this idea with this post.

This should be YMMV. All the Wallys in my area will not mount a tire if you did not buy it from them. I once bought the $7/tire lifetime rotate and balance and their monkeys always gave me a hard time telling me they couldnt do it because of funny wear on my tires, and that I should have my suspension checked. I took it to SamsClub and they gave me no hassels. I verified with a tire alignment shop that my suspension was fine.

Too many monkeys

ach1199 said:   What's wrong with thanking OP or asking for an explanation for a red (red without a comment) ? A few months ago, someone flamed me for simply thanking the OP so are we not suppose to thank the OP for taking the time to post a deal ? After almost 10 years on FW, I'm still confused.
The best posts are ones that stay on topic and contribute something. If you think about it, a post that only says "thanks" offers nothing useful. It really gets annoying when an endless stream of "thanks, in for one," etc. start piling up. That is what the red/green rating should be for. Green SHOULD mean thanks/approval. Red SHOULD mean bad deal/disapproval. Ratings should NOT be directed to the poster but to the post, but human nature is what it is. And hey, this is all a virtual community. Nobody should be taking anything to heart one way or another.

usadaytrader said:   This should be YMMV. All the Wallys in my area will not mount a tire if you did not buy it from them. I once bought the $7/tire lifetime rotate and balance and their monkeys always gave me a hard time telling me they couldnt do it because of funny wear on my tires, and that I should have my suspension checked. I took it to SamsClub and they gave me no hassels. I verified with a tire alignment shop that my suspension was fine.

Too many monkeys

A) I would have taken it up with a WalMart district manager if other shops said your suspension was good.

B) Take a printout of the pricing list I linked to in a previous post. I dont think each WalMart can make up it's own rules on which tires they will mount or not mount. They are not individually owned. They do mount carry-ins.

Last time I went to WM for a vibration issue, WM tried 2 times to balance the tires. Finally had to go to a dealer after i could not find anything wrong and dealer said tires need balancing and did it right. WM could not do it right.

Had a WM battery go bad less than a year old, WM said it tested good, AAA tested batt and charging system/alt and said battery was bad (one bad cell) and my car would not start with it, so proves it was bad. They never took it back.

Try calling corporate at 800 number. 3 days later you might get a call from the manager at the store who really doesn't care anyway.

I will NEVER go to WM again for batteries OR tires because they don't have the knowledge necessary to sell or analyze car problems.

IE WM sucks. Take your car to a reputable place.

don't take your car there if you've got large (18" or larger) rims or custom rims. they will destroy it!

I bought the life-time rotate and balance package from WalMart a few years ago. I used it may be three times? Never felt they did it right. Guys that worked on my car all looked like they have not bathed in days and just came to work from a night of wild party. Perhaps they were all brilliant auto mechanics. I decided to get the lifetime package from Discount Tires last year. Tire rotation is included anyway. May be they are no better. But the place is clean and they wear uniforms.

I take my car to WM to get the tire pressure checked and the folks are pretty cool about it. I have even bought tires from WM before, but got installed elsewhere as they do not do alignment. I know, mounting and balancing is different, but I rather get it all done in one shop in one shot. Still, given WM prices this is not a bad deal.

Purchased tires elsewhere, mounted them myself.
WalMart did the lifetime balancing for $8.50 each and after the fact told me it is actually one-time balance if you don't buy the tires from them.
Took them home to re-install and noticed several of the weights didn't look like they were fully seated on the rim. Two of them fell off when I applied a little pressure with my finger.
My significant other informed me I deserved it because I am a cheapa$$.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014