Link

Temporarily oversold but allowing orders ships approx 2-4 weeks

Free shipping on orders over $129

Member Summary

ammo
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Steel cased FMJ for $21 for 50 rounds...you have got to be kidding me...

oh im sorry, do you reload?

I would never put that junk in my AR!

and if you got something cheaper for 223 right now, please do post

When you can't purchase .223 at any price.... this is a decent deal. Personally, though, I'd wait a while (1 month? 6 months?) for prices to normalize. After the prez's speach, IMHO, an AWB is not going to happen. A high capacity magazine ban is not going to happen. For many of us, ammunition prices and stock are going to return to normal sooner or later. You might not get to fire your brand new $1500 AR-15 for 6 or 8 months, but it beats throwing good money after bad.

TtownLarry said:   I would never put that junk in my AR!

What is wrong with it? A quality rifle would have no issues shooting it.

an ar15 should shoot anything you put thru it. if it don't there is something wrong with your rifle. If the steel was harder than the barrel steel i could see it but if you clean your gun like you should steel cased ammo won't hurt it one bit. Even had military sergeants tell me the same thing. I have shot thousands of rounds thru mine and have never had a FTF or FTE or any type of damage. Shoot what you like and can afford and have fun doing it.

Aren't most bores chromed?

most are chrome lined

The only thing wrong with this ammo is from the description: "NOTE: These products are not intended for duty use."

This is a shorthand way of saying they failed one or more of the quality control tests. For plinking and target shooting it doesn't matter. If you use it for home defense, you may get Failure to eject/feed or even worse a primer failure. Other than that, it's a good price to run through at the range.

Only true test of steel vs brass I have seen. I still shoot mostly steel because it works out cheaper in the long run.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

rdh said:   When you can't purchase .223 at any price.... this is a decent deal. Personally, though, I'd wait a while (1 month? 6 months?) for prices to normalize. After the prez's speach, IMHO, an AWB is not going to happen. A high capacity magazine ban is not going to happen. For many of us, ammunition prices and stock are going to return to normal sooner or later. You might not get to fire your brand new $1500 AR-15 for 6 or 8 months, but it beats throwing good money after bad.

I don't mean to sound like a smart ass. I am being serious when I say:

I have been waiting five or more years for ammo prices to "normalize." They never seem to normalize. They just keep getting more and more expensive. Not only was ammo hard to find for a while, it was expensive.

Best of luck.

Steel cases are especially hard on AR extractors and firing pins, keep some extras handy. Plus you can count on stuck cases in chambers, would you like to deal with one of those in the middle of a fire fight? The lacquer-coated crap melts and makes it a lot harder on your AR. I built my AR from scratch and just have too much love for it to run crap ammo in it. Especially at this crazy price.

TtownLarry said:   Steel cases are especially hard on AR extractors and firing pins, keep some extras handy. Plus you can count on stuck cases in chambers, would you like to deal with one of those in the middle of a fire fight? The lacquer-coated crap melts and makes it a lot harder on your AR. I built my AR from scratch and just have too much love for it to run crap ammo in it. Especially at this crazy price.

You make a good point, but those issues rarely, if ever, happen. Also, they are not lacquer coated anymore, even wolf is poly coated, big big difference nowadays. I built my own too, and it shoots everything i throw at it, and keeps going.

Not that this is an appropriate place for discussion, but here facts:
http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

If I remember right, the gist was go ahead and shoot the steel case stuff, you're still ahead in savings even with the shorter barrel life, of course that was pre-hystaria pricing, and wasn't Hornady steel case ammo.

Have never had issue shooting steel.Steel amo being sold now is fine to shoot especially for practice.

STOP bumping old threads! This crap was from Jan. 2013

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.