• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Came across this today, and didn't see any posts on it yet. Ting, which runs off of the Sprint Network, will credit your account up to $350 if you leave another carrier to transfer to them. You can also bring your Sprint phone with you. It is for the entire month of February.

https://ting.com/blog/the-ting-100000-etf-payout/

Member Summary

ting
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
or anyone who has to use an Airave to get a decent signal on Sprint: will Ting be able to use an existing active Sprint ... (more)

f2000sa (Mar. 13, 2013 @ 9:45p) |

Thanks, f2000sa, for your answer.

FW10001 (Mar. 13, 2013 @ 10:11p) |

Ting just opened the gate for LTE devices bring-over. Galaxy note 2, Galaxy S 3.... can now be carried over.... S4 w... (more)

f2000sa (Mar. 14, 2013 @ 8:09p) |

If you missed out on the ETF promo, you can still get $25 off when opening a new account by using discount link https://vqehq6h.ting.com




mickgoldsteinI just want to reinforce a couple of items here.First, folks who sign a contract now just to get a phone from another provider are not eligible. You have to have been in a contract already by the time we announced this deal on January 16. I have no ill will towards those folks. It's a clever idea, it doesn't cost us any more money and it's very likely they would stick around and be great customers for many years. But those people are not in a contract right now. They could come join Ting today if the total calculation (device and monthly savings) worked for them and they liked the service. For whatever reason, they are not joining if not for this opportunity to get a free device from someone else. These limited funds are intended for the folks who are absolutely ready to come to Ting based on their calculation going forward but are stuck with a big "get out of jail" fee that they would have to pay to get here.Second, I just want to make sure people understand that you are getting reimbursed, in the form of a credit, whatever you ETF payout is up to a maximum of $350 per line. For example, if you pay $80 in ETF, you get an $80 credit. I think that's pretty clear, but so many comments here suggest that everyone is expecting a $350 credit. I know most people will not owe that much unless they signed a contract in the last couple of months. I don't want anyone to be surprised or disappointed.

from Ting site
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

don't see much of a saving with Ting. At least with Sprint you get a subsidized phone, albeit with a contract thought.

I see significant savings over what I spend now with Sprint, and it's nice that they credit you back what you don't use. I'm out of contract anyhow, so I think I might give it a try, especially since I don't have to buy a phone, and keep using my EVO 4G. As long as I use wi-fi when home, I don't see my wife and I going over 3Gig data/mo combined. For anyone wanting to keep their EVO, and not have to do crazy flashing and modifying for other small carriers, and/or be able to leave Sprint early, I think it's a no-brainer.

don't see much of a saving with Ting.

Buy Galaxy SIII ($49, or less) and sign up for Sprint's cheapest plan, cancel it during the first month. Got $350 ETF credited..

Great saving!

Woah, anyone use them?

f2000sa said:   don't see much of a saving with Ting.

Buy Galaxy SIII ($49, or less) and sign up for Sprint's cheapest plan, cancel it during the first month. Got $350 ETF credited..

Great saving!


Where do you see that price? I see $199 with 2yr agreement.

Note, Ting only set aside $100,000. Thus, only about 285 customers will benefit. This could be gone in minutes. If their server has any sort of FW effect, you are screw.

I wonder how quick they'll hit their $100,000 mark, and whether they'll go past it. That's only 285 plans @ $350 payout/ea. I plan on transferring tonight (no ETF), so I'll report back on how the # porting goes. I read that porting seems to be the only hiccup, but they may have fixed that by now. Otherwise, there are only good reviews on their service that I've found so far.

f2000sa said:   don't see much of a saving with Ting.

Buy Galaxy SIII ($49, or less) and sign up for Sprint's cheapest plan, cancel it during the first month. Got $350 ETF credited..

Great saving!


Unless I misunderstand their blog entry, Ting says that
1) you can't bring a LTE device (or BlackBerry or IPhone) over to Ting from Sprint yet
2) you can't port and do BYOD with the same device; you either have to swap to an older phone before you port or use an older phone on Ting first and then swap back to a newer one

One of the limitations on the bring your Sprint device to Ting program is that you cannot (currently) port a number and bring your device to Ting at the same time. The rub being that one of the requirements of the ETF payout promotion is that the number needs to be ported.

The only way around this right now is to port your number to an existing Ting device (the most inexpensive refurb or a used, inactive Sprint device will work), thus closing your Sprint account (and "deactivating" your current Sprint device). You'd then bring your Sprint device over to Ting.

We're sorry the solution isn't more elegant than that. We're working hard to make it easier.

fortunately, it might be too late to do what f2000sa is suggesting. you have 14 days to cancel a new Sprint contract and return your Sprint device. as far as i know you can't keep the device and enter contract before 14 days. by the time 14 days have past (from today) i can foresee ting running out of the 100k in funds for this promo.

Where do you see that price? I see $199 with 2yr agreement.

Amzon often has this phone for $.01 for new contracts. It has the price on Jan9th. currently $99

they say they set aside 100k for etf, what happen if that 100k runs out? will they still honor the rest?

100,000 /350 etf per phone, that is about 285 plans.

This is very interesting. One can easily get by with as little as $10 a month with them. I wonder how much the surcharge is? The beauty of prepaid is there is either no surcharge or surcharge already included.

I saw the international rates are very good. Too bad they don't accept iphone at this point.

meh - if they'd credit my account $350 when I don't have an ETF (like right now), then maybe I'd switch.

WOW, their plan is bloody expensive!
500min talk, 1000txt, 2GB Data is $62 plus surcharges.

One will end up spending $350 per month on their monthly use.

Pun said:   WOW, their plan is bloody expensive!
500min talk, 1000txt, 2GB Data is $62 plus surcharges.

One will end up spending $350 per month on their monthly use.



These types of plans are more catered to folks who don't use as many bloody services as you seem to use.

BYOD. Here is catch. No iPhones, No S3, Note etc. Useless....Better off with Straight Talk...

bring your Sprint device to Ting public beta with official support for seven devices:

HTC EVO 4G (A9292)
HTC EVO 3D (X515C)
HTC EVO Shift (A7373)
Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch (SPHD710)
Samsung Epic 4G (SPH-D700)
LG Optimus S (LS670)
Motorola Photon 4G (MB855)

they don't even accept the iphone 4?

will a phone bought @Virgin Mobile work with Ting? HTC Evo 4G has been on sale for $149 until recently @VirginMobile.

that shut me up.... 7 devices..

This is unless. It is like one of those deals that are really good but they only have 1 each store. Sounds like a waste of time.

rotorrocket said:   don't see much of a saving with Ting. At least with Sprint you get a subsidized phone, albeit with a contract thought.
I'll agree, but seems like a good way to get out of Sprint contract.. Move to ting, use it for a month, then move wherever you want to go..

walletLess said:   rotorrocket said:   don't see much of a saving with Ting. At least with Sprint you get a subsidized phone, albeit with a contract thought.
I'll agree, but seems like a good way to get out of Sprint contract.. Move to ting, use it for a month, then move wherever you want to go..


if you are lucky to be part of the $100,000 they reserved for ETF fee reimbursement. :/

can you port a Virgin Mobile phone (after you root..)

ting's Cheapest plan??

dpid said:   if you are lucky to be part of the $100,000 they reserved for ETF fee reimbursement. :/
Yes, its a bummer. Also, the $350 is per line.. so someone with 3 lines will count thrice against the ~285 line limit. I wish there was a definite way to tell whether I am "in" or not.. Would hate to cancel 3 lines, rack up $1050 ETF and then not get re-imbursed...

Think I could port over a T-Mobile phone? Nokia (yeah, whatever), w/ SIM card.

burkotron5k said:   Think I could port over a T-Mobile phone? Nokia (yeah, whatever), w/ SIM card.
I doubt.. It needs a CDMA compatible phone - preferably from Sprint.. You're better off porting to Straight Talk with a T-mo phone.

One thing I'm confused about. Since they automatically bump you up or credit you down, is there any reason to actually pick a plan level? Couldn't I just pick $0/$0/$0 and then get billed for whatever service level I use? I'm not seeing the advantage of actually picking X minutes, Y texts, and Z megabytes ahead of time.

interesting conversation - if you want to see something very interesting take a look at Ting's parent company's stock, Tucows - symbol TCX. They recently completed a dutch auction and bought back 10% of their shares. The stock has been moving up ever since. As an investor in the company I have been trying to figure out how well Ting was doing (or not). I am not trying to spam the board or anything, but for the most part, the stock seems to be trading on the value of the Domain registry business - not really putting a lot of value on Ting. If I thought Ting was going to take off, I would probably assume that the stock will move also. To be honest, I have no idea, but I have heard that the offering is good for people that don't have a heavy plan. Conference call indicated that growth is pretty solid but there were not a lot of details. Anyway, what do I know?

Use this link to get $25 off most Ting devices or $25 toward Ting service

https://ting.com/r/techguy

"Thanks! That's good for $25 off most Ting devices or $25 toward Ting service!"

"Can I port my number under contract with Sprint and at the same time bring my Sprint device to Ting to take advantage of this ETF payout?

No. That’s the short answer.

The longer answer is that you can bring your Sprint number and your Sprint device to Ting but not in one action. Here’s the work-around:
Port your number from Sprint to an existing Ting device
OR
Buy a new / used / refurbished device from Ting, activate it and port your Sprint number. This will make your Sprint device inactive on the Sprint network.
THEN
Follow the bring your Sprint device to Ting process to turn your Sprint device into a Ting device.
Move your number from the Ting device used in step one onto your now Ting device."

Huh? Doesn't that mean you have to buy a Ting device in order for this to work?

From the FAQ @ https://ting.com/blog/ting-100000-etf-payout-rules-regs-and-faqs...

What if I buy a device but end up missing out on the $100,000 ETF payout fund?

You won’t miss out. Anyone buying a device before the ETF payout officially launches with plans to activate in the first week of February will be covered. When the campaign launches, we’ll offer the option to earmark your own slice of the ETF fund when you purchase your Ting device.

devilboy215 said:   From the FAQ @ https://ting.com/blog/ting-100000-etf-payout-rules-regs-and-faqs...

What if I buy a device but end up missing out on the $100,000 ETF payout fund?

You won’t miss out. Anyone buying a device before the ETF payout officially launches with plans to activate in the first week of February will be covered. When the campaign launches, we’ll offer the option to earmark your own slice of the ETF fund when you purchase your Ting device.


im trying to bring my own device (galaxy s2) so i dont have to buy another device. my concern wasnt about getting the ETF credit or not

mailfroggy said:   "Can I port my number under contract with Sprint and at the same time bring my Sprint device to Ting to take advantage of this ETF payout?

No. That’s the short answer.

The longer answer is that you can bring your Sprint number and your Sprint device to Ting but not in one action. Here’s the work-around:
Port your number from Sprint to an existing Ting device
OR
Buy a new / used / refurbished device from Ting, activate it and port your Sprint number. This will make your Sprint device inactive on the Sprint network.
THEN
Follow the bring your Sprint device to Ting process to turn your Sprint device into a Ting device.
Move your number from the Ting device used in step one onto your now Ting device."

Huh? Doesn't that mean you have to buy a Ting device in order for this to work?
You will have to pay the ETF to Sprint to end the contract BEFORE the number can be ported out.

pro tip: Ting is great for someone transitioning from T-Mo prepaid (limited calling/low data usage person) --- if you keep data off you will pay little

if you use a lot of data all the time --- then you need to evaluate this closely

dpid said:   walletLess said:   rotorrocket said:   don't see much of a saving with Ting. At least with Sprint you get a subsidized phone, albeit with a contract thought.
I'll agree, but seems like a good way to get out of Sprint contract.. Move to ting, use it for a month, then move wherever you want to go..


if you are lucky to be part of the $100,000 they reserved for ETF fee reimbursement. :/


Etf fee is credited to the account... So moving away from ting in a month won't be fruitful

FYI: this is a shared minutes plan

so if you have low home phone usage and you are in a good Sprint area --- you could also buy a Sprint at home unit from Ting

your credited minutes can also be used on this base station --- you can also buy a simple Samsung flip phone for low usage family members to share minutes

each device has a nominal cost --- but they all share minutes

I highly recommend this for anyone that is low usage but paying for a high usage plan --- you will save a lot of money

(note: you have to monitor changing behavior patterns --- their business plan is set up to yield profit from increased data usage over time)

Skipping 32 Messages...
Ting just opened the gate for LTE devices bring-over. Galaxy note 2, Galaxy S 3.... can now be carried over.... S4 will be available when released...




LTE Sprint devices can now come to Ting



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014