• Text Only
rostix said:   What do I put in the "Your work email" field? My school .edu address didn't work for me.

Hmmm...maybe you should put your work email address. I'm not sure, because it is only asking for your work email address, so it may mean something completely different. Microsoft likes to be tricky that way.

Scrubking said:   9000 said:   Is it better than Open Office?

Seeing how Open office is COMPLETELY FREE the answer is nope.

Dude, some of us work in the real world where we don't have time to mess around with "almost compatible" and "hey, why is my Word file messed up?". But for your homework I'm sure free is great. Good for you little buddy.

WOrked for me, thanks.

Strange, i'm not eligible this time but I have the 2010 version from same employer. Odd.

Thanks got it. Chose not to buy the DVD, hopefully that won't turn out to be a mistake.

shailpat said:   This works for JPMorgan Chase (JPM) and Cognizant Tech (CTSH) companies for sure.If my son gets the internship he's applied for I will try it. It doesn't work for his school, or my employer.

Daddio1949 said:   Ok guys, what's the story with MS Office 2013 Professional Plus.

I qualified for the program, downloaded and installed the program. The downloaded file was quite small and it seems that the program works from the cloud. That is, loading a program causes a little screen to pop up, which says it's streaming so hold on.

So, what's going on?

I saw this too... It seems the download is the bootstrap exe and the full install is downloaded when you run it. Like the Chrome installer.

I installed it without an issue.

Does anyone want to cover the pros and cons of ordering the back-up disc and other back-up options?

go to the web site and try and figure this out..... hunh? MS sucks

Yeah... Here we go again. Green for notifying us about 2013.

But really, guys, save yourself $10. The terms of the HUP require you to be eligible. Which means your employer has a MS Enterprise agreement and you are permitted to buy under the HUP. If your company's agreement expires or you are no longer employed by them, your license to use expires. If you're not eligible via the program, YOU ARE NOT LEGALLY LICENSED TO RUN THE SOFTWARE.

Essentially, you're spending $10 or $24 for a hot (illegal) copy.

NYBonk--That's because employees are allowed to buy one copy over the term of the employer's Enterprise Agreement. Term is usually 3 years.

Mushman--
You can't upgrade because your license from the previous employer expired when your employment ended. See the original t&c's

asuwest2 said:   Yeah... Here we go again. Green for notifying us about 2013.

But really, guys, save yourself $10. The terms of the HUP require you to be eligible. Which means your employer has a MS Enterprise agreement and you are permitted to buy under the HUP. If your company's agreement expires or you are no longer employed by them, your license to use expires. If you're not eligible via the program, YOU ARE NOT LEGALLY LICENSED TO RUN THE SOFTWARE.

Essentially, you're spending $10 or $24 for a hot (illegal) copy.

Curiously, what section of the Terms & Conditions or Terms of Use says that use of your license after the end of your employment is prohibited? Was reading though the Terms of Use, but couldn't find anything specific, but I could've easily missed the legalese.

I wanted to check if you leave the job that you bought this program with, does the license convert into a different one? For example, buying a student, educational, or non-profit version of Photoshop or other programs (back in the day) allowed you to keep the program even after leaving the org, but the license could not be used for commercial purposes.

Is there an executable file download for this Office so we can have that as a backup instead of the $14 they charge for the DVD backup?

alxndr said:   Is there an executable file download for this Office so we can have that as a backup instead of the $14 they charge for the DVD backup?

yes, but it's a Downloader/Installer instead of 500+mb file.
BTW, the links from previous version 2007 and 2010 that MS sent in the email with the key, are all still working. Why waste 15bux when MS seem to store the file for a long time. Im sure it'll be the same for 2013.

same problem here

sdreadpiratemark said:   Thanks OP, got order place & for backup DVD. Great deal. Oddly, though, the download link throws an error at me saying "the procedure entry point k32getprocessimagefilenameW could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll." [OK] I can't say that my Office 2013 experience is off to a great start. Anyone else get a similar problem?

SteelRing said:   office 2003 still the best... all they did in subsequent versions just rearrange all the menu into icons and sh1ts you cannot find to do what you always been doing...... put in some new color schemes for the charts and new fonts and they call it new version.... bullsh1t

I've used 2003, 2007, and 2010 and there is a bit of a learning curve, but I like 2010 the most. Hated 2007 though. IMO, 2010 is a lot like 2003 except all the menus are expanded to fill that ribbon rather than just a list menu and the depiction help a bit.

As far as OneNote, 2010 rocks on my tablet. OneNote 2007 was primarily menu because it did not get the Ribbon interface like the rest of Office 2007. Since all the commonly used buttons are up front on ribbon, it was a lot more intuitive when using a stylus. Once I tried OneNote 2010, there was no going back to 2007.

2 articles discussing new version: PC WORLD1 and PCWORLD2

cyfan said:   rostix said:   What do I put in the "Your work email" field? My school .edu address didn't work for me.

Hmmm...maybe you should put your work email address. I'm not sure, because it is only asking for your work email address, so it may mean something completely different. Microsoft likes to be tricky that way.

I get the email that I qualify. When I add office to my cart, it doesn't add. Both Chrome and IE were tested.

Got mine! Good find OP.

SteelRing said:   office 2003 still the best... all they did in subsequent versions just rearrange all the menu into icons and sh1ts you cannot find to do what you always been doing...... put in some new color schemes for the charts and new fonts and they call it new version.... bullsh1t

You clearly don't use Office. The improvements to Excel alone is worth the upgrade. 65k rows to 1 million. Vastly improved charting. Improved Pivot functionality. Power Pivot. Many new functions e.g. IFERR, SUMIFS, AVGIFS etc. Add on the improvements in Outlook and Access and you have a solid product upgrade cycle.

Now for home users I would agree you don't need more than 2003.

Also, no code for UGA.edu even though it's listed above as a valid domain...

jztachi said:   
Curiously, what section of the Terms & Conditions or Terms of Use says that use of your license after the end of your employment is prohibited? Was reading though the Terms of Use, but couldn't find anything specific, but I could've easily missed the legalese.

I wanted to check if you leave the job that you bought this program with, does the license convert into a different one? For example, buying a student, educational, or non-profit version of Photoshop or other programs (back in the day) allowed you to keep the program even after leaving the org, but the license could not be used for commercial purposes.

From http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/faq.aspx?culture=en-US
"The Home Use Program is a Software Assurance benefit available to Microsoft volume licensing customers with active Software Assurance coverage on their Office applications. Employees who use the covered licenses at work are eligible to purchase these Office applications for use on a home PC during the term of their employment. This temporary license expires with the employers Software Assurance coverage, or upon termination of employment with the covered customer."

ptdalen said:   ameeyoung said:   I didn't qualify but my sister's Kellogs email working. She has 2 computers and wants to know how does this work? You can only dl on one pc? How do you order a copy or can she order 2 one for her and one for me?

Almost all versions of office have a "Two PC License". The fine print says something about 1 PC and One mobile device such as a laptop. Supposed to be for one person, 2 PCs. Unofficially, what it means is that you can activate the software on ANY two different computers. In your case if sounds like your sister would be 100% in the good installing this on her two PCs.

From the link earlier in this post, "On how many computers can I install the software? 2 computers, either 2 PCs or 2 Macs, specific to the software that was purchased."

josejohn said:   jztachi said:   

From http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/faq.aspx?culture=en-US
"The Home Use Program is a Software Assurance benefit available to Microsoft volume licensing customers with active Software Assurance coverage on their Office applications. Employees who use the covered licenses at work are eligible to purchase these Office applications for use on a home PC during the term of their employment. This temporary license expires with the employers Software Assurance coverage, or upon termination of employment with the covered customer."

ptdalen said:   ameeyoung said:   I didn't qualify but my sister's Kellogs email working. She has 2 computers and wants to know how does this work? You can only dl on one pc? How do you order a copy or can she order 2 one for her and one for me?

Almost all versions of office have a "Two PC License". The fine print says something about 1 PC and One mobile device such as a laptop. Supposed to be for one person, 2 PCs. Unofficially, what it means is that you can activate the software on ANY two different computers. In your case if sounds like your sister would be 100% in the good installing this on her two PCs.

From the link earlier in this post, "On how many computers can I install the software? 2 computers, either 2 PCs or 2 Macs, specific to the software that was purchased."

Yes, but as everyone here knows, the installation and use of the file continue to work long after you're gone. I have a copy of 2003 I obtained through an Academic Alliance a decade ago and it still works fine. I have rebuilt 3 computers since then and every time I used the same file/key fine. I graduated in 2004.

NICE find OP, still on 2007 here, from a student program. Not to go off on a tangent, but does anyone have a good link to Windows7 via EDU email? My wife re-enrolled and we'd like to get 7 for her tower and upgrade here but the school links to some Wisc software and I can only see W8 to purchase, not Keen on that.

kmsandrbs said:   Does anyone want to cover the pros and cons of ordering the back-up disc and other back-up options?

Sure.

Pro - you have the disk for convenient install later.
Con - the disk costs money
Con - you can just save the install exe's on your hard disk or burn to DVD
Con - I have reinstalled Office 2010 from the same link in the old email 1.5 years after the original install.

DragonOnTheEdge said:   sjgadsby said:   tougher said:   MicrosoftHUP.com, what the heck is that?

It tells Microsoft to "Hang UP", restart, and re-read all its configuration files.

Okay; now that was funny...apparently no Unix users in the house.

Reminds me of the nohup cmd. Wow, it's been a while since I used that.

****WARNING**** Do not waste your money if you do not have or plan to get Windows 7/8!

This should be added to quick summary or something.

dreadpiratemark said:   Thanks OP, got order place & for backup DVD. Great deal. Oddly, though, the download link throws an error at me saying "the procedure entry point k32getprocessimagefilenameW could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll." [OK] I can't say that my Office 2013 experience is off to a great start. Anyone else get a similar problem?

I also got the error. Message from MS says that Office 2013 REQUIRES Windows 7/8

This is a no go for those on XP or Vista!

Even if you get the ISO from somewhere else you will be denied

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/why-cant-i-install-office...

****WARNING**** Do not waste your money if you do not have or plan to get Windows 7/8!

chripuck said:   
Yes, but as everyone here knows, the installation and use of the file continue to work long after you're gone. I have a copy of 2003 I obtained through an Academic Alliance a decade ago and it still works fine. I have rebuilt 3 computers since then and every time I used the same file/key fine. I graduated in 2004.

Absolutely, yes, it will work. Technically, not legal, but yes, it will work.

corpse101 said:   ****WARNING**** Do not waste your money if you do not have or plan to get Windows 7/8!

dreadpiratemark said:   Thanks OP, got order place & for backup DVD. Great deal. Oddly, though, the download link throws an error at me saying "the procedure entry point k32getprocessimagefilenameW could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll." [OK] I can't say that my Office 2013 experience is off to a great start. Anyone else get a similar problem?

I also got the error. Message from MS says that Office 2013 REQUIRES Windows 7/8

This just in, new Microsoft software incompatible with old Microsoft software.

I have 2010 under the HUP so I could upgrade. Is it worth upgrading, even for $10? I don't know the difference between 2013 to 2010. I had a real issue when I upgraded from 2003 to 2007. There were improvements but I don't really need any of the improvements and it required me to relearn a lot of the features since, in my opinion, MS dumbdown 2003 to make it easier to use 2007 for non techies.

corpse101 said:   ****WARNING**** Do not waste your money if you do not have or plan to get Windows 7/8!

I guess that's a good warning, but Vista is now 6+ yrs old and XP is 11+ yrs old. It's not that surprising that a company doesn't bend over backwards and spend a lot of resources continuing to support softwares that old.

Why would you voluntarily still have Vista? And seriously, XP is 11 years old, time for an upgrade. I get not going to 8, but 7 is the new XP. There's no reason not to upgrade (unless you have a "dinosaur" of a PC.)

DragonOnTheEdge said:   sjgadsby said:   tougher said:   MicrosoftHUP.com, what the heck is that?

It tells Microsoft to "Hang UP", restart, and re-read all its configuration files.

Okay; now that was funny...apparently no Unix users in the house.

....and one person in the crowd claps hesitantly.....no one else joins in....

chripuck said:   
Why would you voluntarily still have Vista? And seriously, XP is 11 years old, time for an upgrade. I get not going to 8, but 7 is the new XP. There's no reason not to upgrade (unless you have a "dinosaur" of a PC.)

There are a lot of people still on XP as they dont have a reason to upgrade. If all you do is use Office/Web browse/pretty much anything that does not require high processing like games/CAD/etc a new PC serves no purpose(unless parts die). Saying something like that is like justifying buying a brand new car, and saying justified over the old one that works with no problems since it is new. Not to mention added cost of the OS/new PC/time to set up is not worth it to a lot of people for the unneed "benefits".

I personally have a netbook that is only used for office/web that I put XP on since it not such a power horse 7 does not play well with it even though the netbook is only 3 years old, and does not provide anything extra to a netbook experience.

I was not saying this deal sucks because it does not support older OS's, and I dont expect MS to continue supporting them. But the warning is relevant to many people to not waste their money if they choose to remain on older operating systems. As one person already encountered. Luckily for me I do run 7 on a couple rigs so my money was not wasted but others may not be as lucky.

I have an @osu.edu e-mail and i got this error:
"We were unable to retrieve your program code at this time and are unable to qualify you with the email domain you have provided."

Perfect -- got it !

Thanks, OP. GF works for a company whose domain is not in the list above but still qualified. In for 1.

amazing i got it through a hutmail addy

corpse101 said:   chripuck said:   

There are a lot of people still on XP as they dont have a reason to upgrade. If all you do is use Office/Web browse/pretty much anything that does not require high processing like games/CAD/etc a new PC serves no purpose(unless parts die). Saying something like that is like justifying buying a brand new car, and saying justified over the old one that works with no problems since it is new. Not to mention added cost of the OS/new PC/time to set up is not worth it to a lot of people for the unneed "benefits".

I personally have a netbook that is only used for office/web that I put XP on since it not such a power horse 7 does not play well with it even though the netbook is only 3 years old, and does not provide anything extra to a netbook experience.

I was not saying this deal sucks because it does not support older OS's, and I dont expect MS to continue supporting them. But the warning is relevant to many people to not waste their money if they choose to remain on older operating systems. As one person already encountered. Luckily for me I do run 7 on a couple rigs so my money was not wasted but others may not be as lucky.

Ok, so if you're a techie and you have a secondary machine still on XP then I acquiesce. I also post-conditioned my statement with the fact that you might have an old PC at which it would be wasteful to upgrade to 7.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014